Gobert Vs. Mark Eaton

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,880

Re: Gobert Vs. Mark Eaton 

Post#21 » by OhayoKD » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm

Gobert is clearly better in a vacuum, but i guess it could be argued for eaton relative to his league
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,297

Re: Gobert Vs. Mark Eaton 

Post#22 » by trex_8063 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 am

homecourtloss wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Eaton per 100 possessions
13.1 reb (3.5 Oreb)
1.6 ast (2.4 to)
8.0 pts (ts% 497)

Ben Wallace per 100 possessions
reb 17.4 (5.7 Oreb)
ast 2.4 (1.8 to)
10.4 pts (.474 ts%)

Wow, you are right, Eaton is actually significantly worse than Ben Wallace in simple box score.

It’d be interesting to know what kind of ORAPM numbers Eaton had. Almost every all-time great defender is a negative on offense, some greatly so, and there aren’t many exceptions. A solid plus player on offense + all-time grest defemder is a rare thing, which is why players such as KG, Duncan, Draymond, DRob, etc., are so incredibly valuable.

I recall reading a Frank Layden [long-time coach of the Jazz] quote where he said [paraphrasing] that having Eaton on the court was a game of compromises: that he provided such enormous value on the defensive end, but that it was like playing 4-against-5 on the offensive end.

To your second point, this is where Rudy is kinda special: such massive value on the defensive end, and is actually a tiny positive on offense as well [or a neutral in his lesser years].
Also, it seems misleading [to me] to put Draymond in the same sentence as KG, Duncan, and DRob when talking specifically about offense; but that's just my opinion. He fits beautifully next to the cast he's largely been with, but with a less active and awesome offensive cast, I don't think his ORAPM shines so bright. Excellent play-maker, though outside of a couple years is just an awful shooter and scorer, to a degree that his man would cheat WAAAY off him to help, or otherwise sag into the paint/passing lanes, goading him to shoot (sort of like how Rajon Rondo was guarded a lot of the time).

We're talking about someone who is a career 14.6 pts/100 possessions with -158.9 TS Add. For comparison, even Dikembe Mutombo averaged 16.7 pts/100 with +905.0 TS Add (and we wouldn't call him a good scorer, barely even a fair/OK one).

idk, for me, anyone who is that poor a scorer, while also not providing a lot of floor-spacing effect, cannot be THAT good offensively, no matter how fine a playmaker he is (and he is indeed a fine one).
Overall, Draymond seems "good" offensively to more or less the same degree the Rudy is "good" offensively (just in very very very different ways).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd

Return to Player Comparisons