The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,270

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoff Thread -(NO BAITING) 

Post#361 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 pm

1993Playoffs wrote:Huge LeBron fan but I gotta be objective with this realizations

1. Jokic may actually be peaking higher than LBJ (at least on offense). It’s pretty close

2. Jokic is doing this with traditionally less help than LeBron in a tougher conference

Jokic's been one of my favorite players since way back when Nurkic was still on the Nuggets with him, but this still feels like a wild overreaction. LeBron has dragged some worse supporting casts than Jokic's ever played with to the Finals.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,300

Post#362 » by EmpireFalls » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:21 pm

The reason LA is losing is that a) Jokic cannot be guarded in single coverage under any circumstances and is a walking advantage-generator, and he can sustain this for 40 mins per game, b) James simply cannot sustain his superstar impact for more than 25-27 minutes per game, and their team construction is such that he’s the only source of rim pressure or advantage generation on the perimeter (Reaves and DLo are crafty scorers but they require set-up or an AD 2 man game to really do anything), and c) Davis is taking on an unthinkably large burden as their only big who can actually do anything in terms of Jokic, rebounding, and rim protection on one end… and then he is also being asked to be their only screen setter and advantage generator offensively. We talk about LeBron gassing out but AD is the most important player on the floor for LA in 80% of the possessions at both ends. It’s a huge burden and his actual play is being underrated so far, he’s been playing incredible and it doesn’t even matter.

Denver has a huge size and athleticism advantage rebounding on the interior as well because of this (Hachimura and James have been disappointing rebounding and boxing out) while the Lakers don’t have the perimeter juice to punish them for running big lineups out there.

What this means is the two LA stars are redlining to get a lead and then gassing out then falling apart at the end. Because of this, Denver can afford to guard them both in single coverage at the end of games (and in general) whereas Jokic cannot under any circumstances get single coverage.

You guys do too much stat watching and not enough examination of who’s triggering the actions, what actions are most effective, and why. Advantage generators do not show up in stats, heavy lifting happens at the start of plays not the end. And that is precisely where James has fallen off the hardest despite his (remarkable) statistical outputs even in advanced stats.

I think that, ultimately, the main issue here is that LeBron is 39 and not 35. We talk about him like he’s still LeBron and he’s still a remarkable player but he just isn’t the real LeBron, he is less and less perimeter oriented and his actual strengths tilt more to being a big with ball skills and shooting. However, his effort has been inconsistent and his defensive rebounding has been pitiful, and if he still had the legs to drive to the bucket 30+ times a game like his prime that would all be OK but he just doesn’t anymore.

I think the talk of roster construction is a bit overblown anyway if we’re talking about a hypothetical prime Jokic vs prime LeBron team. If you put an actual prime version of LBJ on this Lakers team I would make them slight favorites in the series.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,024

Post#363 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:21 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
1993Playoffs wrote:Huge LeBron fan but I gotta be objective with this realizations

1. Jokic may actually be peaking higher than LBJ (at least on offense). It’s pretty close

2. Jokic is doing this with traditionally less help than LeBron in a tougher conference

Jokic's been one of my favorite players since way back when Nurkic was still on the Nuggets with him, but this still feels like a wild overreaction. LeBron has dragged some worse supporting casts than Jokic's ever played with to the Finals.

In the East
Djoker
Rookie
And1: 985

Post#364 » by Djoker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 pm

Colbinii wrote:Meanwhile, Murray is somehow a "low end all-star" in the post-season.

Here are his stats from his past 3 post-seasons.

53 Games, 2060 Minutes, 4.7 BPM [4.6 OBPM], 58.7 TS%, 6.3 APG, 2.3 TO, 47/40/91 shooting splits on only 31% 2P FGA Assisted, 51% 3PA Assisted

Meanwhile, here is Steph Curry over his past 3 post-seasons [A very clear All-NBA player]

57 Games, 2103 Minutes, 6.4 BPM [6.1 OBPM], 60.3 TS%, 5.9 APG, 2.9 TO, 45/38/88 shooting splits on only 33% 2P FGA Assisted, 56% 3PA Assisted

58.7 %TS is barely above league average efficiency. It's not very impressive.

Anyways comparing him even with current Steph is laughable.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,353

Post#365 » by AEnigma » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:24 pm

True, here are current Steph’s playoff statistics:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,096

Post#366 » by Colbinii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:36 pm

Djoker wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Meanwhile, Murray is somehow a "low end all-star" in the post-season.

53 Games, 2060 Minutes, 4.7 BPM [4.6 OBPM], 58.7 TS%, 6.3 APG, 2.3 TO, 47/40/91 shooting splits on only 31% 2P FGA Assisted, 51% 3PA Assisted

Meanwhile, here is Steph Curry over his past 3 post-seasons [A very clear All-NBA player]

57 Games, 2103 Minutes, 6.4 BPM [6.1 OBPM], 60.3 TS%, 5.9 APG, 2.9 TO, 45/38/88 shooting splits on only 33% 2P FGA Assisted, 56% 3PA Assisted

58.7 %TS is barely above league average efficiency.

Yup, but not in the post-season and the fact that it is quite above Lg Avg Efficiency for 2 of the seasons.

2019 TS%: 56%
2020 TS%: 56.5%
2023 TS%: 58.1%

It's not very impressive.

Considering the volume and distance he is shooting from [Not living in the paint where he can draw fouls and hit higher efficiency shots since the paint is taken up by Jokic/Gordon], yeah, it is impressive.

Statistic's disagree with you, but my overarching point is that he isn't far behind Steph, one of the greatest offensive players ever.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#367 » by lessthanjake » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:38 pm

Colbinii wrote:
I fundamentally disagree here. I do not think D'Angelo Russell is capable of helping a team win in the post-season. He is a career 14/3/5 playoff performer on Sub-50 TS% with 0 defense. The past 3 seasons [not counting 2019] he is at 13% Free Throw Rate in the post-season and he has 0 free throws so far in 3 games against Denver. He has drawn 4 Free Throw Attempts (2 fouls) in 7 games against Denver dating back to last post-season.

This is largely small-sample-size theater, in series where his teams have been overmatched. He actually played pretty fine in the two playoff series in his career where his team wasn’t overmatched. I’m not DLo’s biggest fan, but I think arguments that say a player who is a pretty good player in the regular season is actually bad because of playoff performance in a small number of games in series’ where his team was the inferior team is probably not the most convincing argument. The truth is almost certainly somewhere in the middle. And I’d note that, as applied to this series, the Lakers haven’t even been outscored with DLo on the court! If I were trying to build a championship roster, DLo definitely wouldn’t be my first choice (nor would players of his archetype in general), but he’s a solid player (but no better than that).

As for Austin Reaves being a significant player on a Championship Team? I mean, sure, against as a bench player, not a starter. He can't defend and he can't consistently break down a defense.

No, he’s absolutely good enough to be a starter on a title team. No question at all, IMO. Austin Reaves is a very good NBA player! I feel like that should be obvious to anyone.

D-E-F-E-N-S-E.

D'Angelo Russell and Austin Reaves are like Reggie Jackson defensively, except D'Lo and Reaves are both playing 30-35 MPG, in the starting line-up.

You can't win against elite players and elite teams when you have two traffic cones on the court for 30+ Minutes.

Gordon and KCP are all-defensive caliber defender's while MPJ is a very clear positive on that end. Reaves and D'lo are traffic cones on the defensive end.

It’s perhaps worth noting that with DLo and Reaves both on the court, the Lakers are giving up 115.38 points per 100 possessions in this series. Which isn’t bad at all against the Nuggets—it’s both below their regular season efficiency (though we should keep in mind changes in reffing in the playoffs) and below the Nuggets’ overall efficiency in the series. Factually speaking, the Nuggets aren’t actually killing lineups with those two guys.

Colbinii wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:I guess I just don't understand what parts and what talent are you guys see on this LA roster. Hachimura is like what 50th-60th best forward in the league, Russell is an all time playoff choker and their backup big is Jason Hayes

When we talk about guys who aren’t major stars, I think it’s always going to be very easy to pick guys apart and criticize them as bad (after all, if they didn’t have things to pick at, they’d be major stars!). And people have winners’ bias and losers’ bias, so when a team isn’t doing well, they pick apart the role players, and when the team does well they think about the strengths that made those guys win. For instance, if the shoe were on the other foot, I think one would see a lot of Nuggets fans criticizing MPJ as being a black hole offensively that somehow isn’t a good defender despite his size. That would snowball into criticizing the coach for allowing MPJ to almost never pass the ball, etc. If they were losing, Gordon would probably be being criticized for his lack of shooting ability. Nuggets fans would probably be opining on the fact that the organization let the bench deteriorate compared to last year and has no viable backup big man. Murray would be being criticized for hogging the ball too much and having bad shot selection. Fans of teams that lose often have a favorite player that they don’t want to blame for the loss and so they pick apart the other players on the team or the coach or things about the organization in order to apportion the blame elsewhere. Often those criticisms end up being at least partially valid! After all, if one team is winning, then they very likely do have the better team and there are reasons they are winning. But when you compare rosters using that kind of losers’ bias (and, on the flip side, winners’ bias regarding the other team), then it’s not a great way to dispassionately compare rosters.

The most important part about role players is being able to defend. Gordon, KCP and MPJ have all shown the ability and consistency to defend at high levels in the post-season. Regardless of whether or not their shot is falling, they have value, especially as Gordon can roam around the dunkers spot, but all 3 of these players can play good defense.

That is what a good role player is. The Lakers instead have 4 Point Guards in their line-up and 3 of them are bad defenders.

Here’s the thing though. The Lakers’ deficiency this series has been more on the offensive end than the defensive end. They’re not actually doing an awful job on the Nuggets defensively. The Nuggets are scoring with efficiency that is a decent bit below what they scored in the regular season. Granted, efficiency has gone down a bit in the playoffs so far overall, so that’s probably more like a wash. But the Lakers offensive efficiency is a lot below both what the Lakers did in the regular season and what the Nuggets gave up in the regular season. This actually isn’t a series where the losing team just can’t defend the other team at all. So it’s hard to really put much credence in an argument that basically revolves around portraying the Lakers role players as being a bunch of people that just can’t hold up defensively when that’s actually not really what’s happened.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
capfan33
Senior
And1: 566

Post#368 » by capfan33 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:42 pm

AEnigma wrote:True, here are current Steph’s playoff statistics:

Do these stats account for his gravity?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,096

Post#369 » by Colbinii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:43 pm

capfan33 wrote:

Here is his current post-season gravity:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Bidofo
Pro Prospect
And1: 942

Post#370 » by Bidofo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm

I dunno, I think people are severely underrating Murray if they think he's one of the worst recent second options. Imo the only ones definitively better this century are those part of an all-time duo: Shaq/Kobe, Curry/KD, and Lebron/AD. He's clearly been better in the bubble and last year in the playoffs than guys like Middleton, Lowry, Klay, Parker/Duncan (I consider Manu first here), 06 Shaq, etc. For my money, better than Kyrie and Wade. A bad 3 game stretch shouldn't change that, especially when in one of them he still took over in the 4th and hit the game winner!

There's just so much to like about his offense. Great shooter, good passer, and excellent at limiting his turnovers. Obviously the two-man game with Jokic is unstoppable, and he certainly makes life a lot easier for Murray, but Murray is just one of those inelastic, tough-shot-makers. Large percentage off the bounce, usually with a hand in his face, and he still makes them at a great clip in the playoffs. Plus, all the bad tendencies you might see in the regular season (hero ball, dribbling way too much) get reduced in the postseason. Part of it is that Malone plays him a lot with all-bench lineups, but I think he's just one of the ones that know how to flip the switch.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,816

Post#371 » by Mos_Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:I guess I just don't understand what parts and what talent are you guys see on this LA roster. Hachimura is like what 50th-60th best forward in the league, Russell is an all time playoff choker and their backup big is Jason Hayes

When we talk about guys who aren’t major stars, I think it’s always going to be very easy to pick guys apart and criticize them as bad (after all, if they didn’t have things to pick at, they’d be major stars!). And people have winners’ bias and losers’ bias, so when a team isn’t doing well, they pick apart the role players, and when the team does well they think about the strengths that made those guys win. For instance, if the shoe were on the other foot, I think one would see a lot of Nuggets fans criticizing MPJ as being a black hole offensively that somehow isn’t a good defender despite his size. That would snowball into criticizing the coach for allowing MPJ to almost never pass the ball, etc. If they were losing, Gordon would probably be being criticized for his lack of shooting ability. Nuggets fans would probably be opining on the fact that the organization let the bench deteriorate compared to last year and has no viable backup big man. Murray would be being criticized for hogging the ball too much and having bad shot selection. Fans of teams that lose often have a favorite player that they don’t want to blame for the loss and so they pick apart the other players on the team or the coach or things about the organization in order to apportion the blame elsewhere. Often those criticisms end up being at least partially valid! After all, if one team is winning, then they very likely do have the better team and there are reasons they are winning. But when you compare rosters using that kind of losers’ bias (and, on the flip side, winners’ bias regarding the other team), then it’s not a great way to dispassionately compare rosters.

You can play smart and hard, generate open shots and still lose, or you can play like Dlo and Rui. Your starting SF can't have 10 rebounds and 0 stocks in 97 minutes of play. I'm not even talking about the offense. You can miss shots, it happens. But a stater on a playoff team should do something else besides scoring, and these guys can't
:reporter:
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#372 » by lessthanjake » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:57 pm

Bidofo wrote:I dunno, I think people are severely underrating Murray if they think he's one of the worst recent second options. Imo the only ones definitively better this century are those part of an all-time duo: Shaq/Kobe, Curry/KD, and Lebron/AD. He's clearly been better in the bubble and last year in the playoffs than guys like Middleton, Lowry, Klay, Parker/Duncan (I consider Manu first here), 06 Shaq, etc. For my money, better than Kyrie and Wade. A bad 3 game stretch shouldn't change that, especially when in one of them he still took over in the 4th and hit the game winner!

There's just so much to like about his offense. Great shooter, good passer, and excellent at limiting his turnovers. Obviously the two-man game with Jokic is unstoppable, and he certainly makes life a lot easier for Murray, but Murray is just one of those inelastic, tough-shot-makers. Large percentage off the bounce, usually with a hand in his face, and he still makes them at a great clip in the playoffs. Plus, all the bad tendencies you might see in the regular season (hero ball, dribbling way too much) get reduced in the postseason. Part of it is that Malone plays him a lot with all-bench lineups, but I think he's just one of the ones that know how to flip the switch.

I think assessment of Murray depends a lot on how much you index on regular season performance as opposed to playoff performance. In theory, playoff performance is more relevant, but it’s also a lot smaller sample size, so it’s noisier. Murray is a player where this matters a lot, because his playoff performance has been a definite step or two above his regular season performance. Is he just a perpetual playoff riser who can be accurately described as a player by how he’s done in a relatively small number of playoff games? Or is the regular season closer to his actual level, and therefore closer to what we should expect in the playoffs moving forward? It’s hard to really know for sure. For what it’s worth, it’s definitely been more like regular-season Murray in this particular series.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Djoker
Rookie
And1: 985

Post#373 » by Djoker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:09 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Djoker wrote:

Yup, but not in the post-season and the fact that it is quite above Lg Avg Efficiency for 2 of the seasons.

Considering the volume and distance he is shooting from [Not living in the paint where he can draw fouls and hit higher efficiency shots since the paint is taken up by Jokic/Gordon], yeah, it is impressive.

Statistic's disagree with you, but my overarching point is that he isn't far behind Steph, one of the greatest offensive players ever.

He is very far behind Steph. Like really really far. I don't even think I need to expand on that. Their role and the level of defensive attention they get is miles apart.

His rTS:

2019: -2.6
2020: +6.1
2023: +0.5

He was fantastic scoring the ball in 2020 but outside of that year not much. In 2023 he was amazing against the Lakers but didn't play much better than a fringe all-star in either the Suns or Heat series.

As Jake said, his PS sample is also very small. Let's see how he does this year in the playoffs too. It will tell us a lot.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#374 » by lessthanjake » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:13 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:

You can play smart and hard, generate open shots and still lose, or you can play like Dlo and Rui. Your starting SF can't have 10 rebounds and 0 stocks in 97 minutes of play. I'm not even talking about the offense. You can miss shots, it happens. But a stater on a playoff team should do something else besides scoring, and these guys can't

I think that’s right—Rui has not done well on the boards in these games. But is that happening because Rui is a bad player, or is it happening because he’s facing a really good team that makes it particularly tough in this regard? Remember, the Nuggets are like the best contested-rebound team in the league (in large part due to Jokic, but Gordon and others contribute here too). They make it hard for opposing players to contribute in that regard (and indeed, LeBron has had trouble on the boards too!). Just because a role player doesn’t do well in a series doesn’t mean they’re a bad or untalented player. If a role player would always do well, they wouldn’t be a role player!
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,651

Post#375 » by parsnips33 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:
capfan33 wrote:

Here is his current post-season gravity:

Wow and I thought this was a safe space

This is what I get for trying to enjoy a little shadenfreude
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Post#376 » by ShotCreator » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 pm

viewtopic.php?p=93167324#p93167324

The Lakers still haven’t recovered from that horrible 2021 off-season. Slammed their title window shut.

It’s amazing in two off-seasons after a title they trade Kuzma, KCP, Caruso, Green, Beverley, Harrell, Gasol, Howard for Westbrook, Carmelo, Russell, Hachimurra, Monk, Drummond, etc.

Lonnie Walker who was coming off terrible seasons in SA despite the athleticism.

The corpse of Avery Bradley.

And they fire Vogel to top it off. They deserve this embarrassment. Terrible moves. It’s like they accidentally built a title contender in the first place, or maybe they thought scouting wasn’t what a contender does, it’s what a rebuilding team does - and figured they should sign as many recognizable names as possible. No matter how washed up.

I don’t pity them.
Swinging for the fences.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#377 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Djoker wrote:

If you watch the Nuggets play, you'll notice the ridiculous easy driving lanes that Murray gets because he plays with Jokic. He waltzed into the lane for easy lay-ins multiple times in the 4th in game 2 cause Jokic completely cleared his defender on a screen and AD was so worried about Jokic popping or getting switched onto a small. Murray isn't a guy who gets to the rim at will on his own - a lot of his paint points arise from the two-man game with Jokic.

Yeah, I think there's a sizeable gap between him and Steph offensively - even at this stage of Steph's career. Steph's a more efficient scorer on higher volume even under a much less favorable context. Just imagine if Steph got to play with Jokic.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,353

Post#378 » by AEnigma » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm

Fun fact, Jokic’s drop in postseason true shooting without Jamal is twice as large as Jamal’s drop without Jokic.
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 386

Post#379 » by Ian Scuffling » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:23 pm

Colbinii wrote:This is such a weird hill to choose to die on. The team with 4 Point Guards in their 8-man playoff rotation with Taurean Prince as the only bench wing is somehow a good enough cast to win a title.

Jesus Christ.

They will go to any length to "TRY" to discredit James at any chance. This guy has failed miserably. One of the worst attempts, imo.
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 386

Post#380 » by Ian Scuffling » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 pm

ShotCreator wrote:viewtopic.php?p=93167324#p93167324

The Lakers still haven’t recovered from that horrible 2021 off-season. Slammed their title window shut.

It’s amazing in two off-seasons after a title they trade Kuzma, KCP, Caruso, Green, Beverley, Harrell, Gasol, Howard for Westbrook, Carmelo, Russell, Hachimurra, Monk, Drummond, etc.

Lonnie Walker who was coming off terrible seasons in SA despite the athleticism.

The corpse of Avery Bradley.

And they fire Vogel to top it off. They deserve this embarrassment. Terrible moves. It’s like they accidentally built a title contender in the first place, or maybe they thought scouting wasn’t what a contender does, it’s what a rebuilding team does - and figured they should sign as many recognizable names as possible. No matter how washed up.

I don’t pity them.

This. They blew up a championship team. Why? Bad ownership/management and then hired this guy as a coach. Plus, as others have said, including myself, James is old. I agree with Empire Falls in his assessment as far as stats vs. impact. I still think stats are obviously of paramount importance, but James' age has limited his "bring the help" along quotient. Not a knock on him at all as compared to any other wing player in NBA history, he's the GOAT at this age. It's not even close. He's still a top 15 player, at age 39, in the NBA, but he's not Lebron. That's why it's crazy when troll and fan alike keep trying to compare him to a prime Joker, or more importantly a prime Lebron. He's nowhere near prime in totality. But, he really is still a great player and that is amazing.

Return to Player Comparisons