RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #96 (Dominique Wilkins)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,559

RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #96 (Dominique Wilkins) 

Post#1 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 pm

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Bob Davies

Luka Doncic

Cliff Hagan

Dominique Wilkins

James Worthy

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,322

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #96 (Deadline 4/26 5am PST) 

Post#2 » by AEnigma » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm

VOTE: Luka Doncic
Alternate: Bob Davies
NOMINATE: Bob McAdoo
AltNom: Chet Walker

Thrilled to see Gus inducted, and now voting for Luka because I feel he and Tatum should be close together here, even though I was pretty tepid on the merits of any player (potentially save for gatekeeper Walton) being inducted on this list without 15,000 regular season minutes played. He, Dominique, and Davies all have such radically different cases that I think any project ordering is internally justifiable among the three, but the latter two have no strong ties to any other induction the way Luka does to Tatum.

Chet I think has a moderately similar in-era profile to Worthy. Worse player in my eyes, but key part of an all-time team, and (distinct from Worthy’s case) led two conference finals teams and was potentially a basket away from making the Finals over the eventual champion. After Bob Davies’ induction, we will have covered all title winners in the “primary” league. The next closest teams without representation are the 2002 Kings (Vlade or Webber), the 1976/79 Suns (Paul Westphal, who maybe take’s Gus’s place here with a title)… and the 1975 Bulls (asterisk on Thurmond here given that he was a deeper bench piece for the playoffs). Doing that in addition to the 1967 title makes it easy to argue for Chet as the most successful star yet to be represented.

However, I am giving my primary nomination to McAdoo because he has more support than Chet and because I agree that MVP qualifies him as one of the other most historically significant figures remaining. Realistically, I intend to fully support four of the current options for induction. That will take us to the final thread, where for me it comes down to Hagan — who again I would not hate being inducted but is just so much lower on my list that he is barely worth personal consideration — and a yet to be nominated player. Having given up on several other forwards, I hope that player is Chet. However, if it is not Chet, McAdoo seems like another reasonable choice for closing out the project. The optics of inclusion matter a lot to me. This project’s ordering is atypical in ways I generally support, but I do think it is important to make sure everyone inducted should pass the proverbial smell test, and a league MVP with a fringe top 50 peak seems like he would (best evidenced by Embiid’s induction forty spots ago… and to some extent Luka’s impending induction now).

I am not opposed to Marc Gasol and may switch the alternate to him depending on how votes go. Also still moderately interested in Zelmo Beaty because of a respectable ABA title, numerous NBA conference finals, and what should have been an ABA MVP. Not opposed to the inclusion of Connie Hawkins either; like McAdoo, I see a bit of merit in rewarding these high peak league MVPs who were overlooked by the peaks project, whether unfairly or just because there are only so many spots.

Finally, while they are less essential to the story of the league and therefore make for odder choices at #100, I would be similarly unopposed to the title-winning RAPM superstars Jrue Holiday, Metta Artest, and Andre Iguodala.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,880

Post#3 » by OhayoKD » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

Vote

1. Luka Donicic

Best player left, strong impact profile over larger samples, paticularly with playoff elevation, best era. on the shortlist of most talented players ever

2. Bob Davies

Second best player of Mikan's era, probably should have gone ahead of other 50's stars.

Nomination

1. Marc Gasol

He seems to have some legitimate prospects now, so I'll start a more concentrated push. First some data:

2010-18: +1.2 net rating / 47-win pace with,

-5.3 net rating / 31-win pace without

As a lead, Gasol led good teams, and even an arguable contender with the 2015 Grizzlies posting impact significantly better than multiple players who have been voted ahead of him peaking as the best paint-protector and, at least arguably, defender in the league.

As a supplementary piece, Gasol anchored one of the best playoff defenses en route to a title and a great 2-season defense that contended even without a certain Kawhi Leonard(#35). When he left, so did the concept of Toronto as a strong defense, and consequently, as a relevant team. 

To put it simply, he was more proven as a lead than Bosh or Worthy, and as a supplementary figure he excelled post-prime with minimal opportunity.

I also think it's notable that Toronto never really showed the ability to withstand Gasol's absence in a playoff setting being way worse before and way worse after. The Lakers were able to win 2 conference final games and make the finals with worthy as a non-factor. Similarly, the Heat won a series against a decent opponent without Bosh and won in spite of him missing half the playoffs.

All considered, I think he's the best candidate left.

2. Connie Hawkins

Would prefer to vote for gasol but may swap depending on who gets support.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,691

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:25 pm

vote Luka Doncic Short peak but very impressive stat line. Like Bob McAdoo but without the later career issues.

Alt vote Bob Davies: Arguable best player in league even though that league was very limited.

Nomination: Mel Daniels: Best player on a multiple championship team and a 2 time ABA MVP. It was a weak league but probably stronger than the one Bob Davies excelled in.

Most similar modern player would be Alonzo Mourning with better rebounding but without the great shotblocking. Both became greats through sheer aggression and a willingness to fight you every inch of every possession.

Alt vote: Bob McAdoo -- highest peak left other than Connie Hawkins (and possibly some monster defender type), MVP, great scorer, had some team issues or he'd have been in a while ago.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,297

Post#5 » by trex_8063 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:54 pm

Induction vote: Dominique Wilkins [please read]

I'm going to start with a super-basic argument: points. He scored 26,668 of them, in a very competitive era.

I know many of you smirk and shrug and say "So what? There's more to basketball than scoring." [very true] And "the highest scorer isn't always the best player" [also true]; and "helping your team win is what matters." [he did; more on this below]

In spite of these hand-waves, I want to take a moment to scrutinize that point total......because there are relatively few players in basketball history who had/have both the skillset and durability to ever reach such a total (in ANY hypothetical situation, much less one in which he is usually helping his team [more on this below]).

Indeed, in reality only 16 other players have ever reached such an amount.
Take a moment to consider all the other players already inducted [often LONG ago], whose primary value arguably
came from scoring [usually, mostly], and yet still never topped [nor ever will] what Dominique managed......

George Gervin
Reggie Miller
Kawhi Leonard
Paul Pierce
John Havlicek
James Harden
Vince Carter
Alex English
Adrian Dantley
Rick Barry
Tracy McGrady
Allen Iverson
Jerry West
Dolph Schayes
Charles Barkley
Kevin McHale
Paul Arizin
Chauncey Billups
Walt Frazier
Pau Gasol
Bob Pettit
Ray Allen
Dwyane Wade
Russell Westbrook
Clyde Drexler
Elgin Baylor
Tony Parker
Paul George
Bill Sharman
Billy Cunningham
Sam Jones
Gus Williams

.....I mean, it's like a third of the list. Guys who were partially/mostly noteworthy because they were scorers.
None of them scored as many points as Nique (though Harden likely will, and Westbrook might [barely] before he's done).

It is a frankly uncommon to score >26.6k points. Not many are even capable of doing so.

"But he wasn't very efficient."
He's a -32.8 TS Add for his career, after all.

True, though for his prime ['86-'94] (which is seemingly/supposedly all that matters for many other posters, who are less "meaningful longevity"-motivated than me), he was +273.7 TS Add.
That's an average of +30.4 per year in that 9-year period, peaking at a VERY respectable +126.1 (has two other years >+70).

About 70% of his career points came within that 9-year period: 18,618 points, to be precise. That total alone would place him #74 all-time (and with >270 TS Add).

Although not ALL of the following were primarily just scorers, I'm going to show you which inductees' CAREER totals are exceeded by that 18,618 (and always will be exceed by it, for active players [not even including Giannis, Jokic, George, or Tatum, since they'll likely surpass it])......

Bill Russell (#4)
Magic Johnson (#10)
Steve Nash (#24)
Kawhi Leonard (#34) (*yes: he will likely not even surpass Nique's PRIME total)
Walt Frazier (#35)
Jason Kidd (#38)
Manu Ginobili (#39)
Anthony Davis (#42)
Kevin McHale (#48)
Jimmy Butler (#52)
Paul Arizin (#56)
Dave Cowens (#57)
Alonzo Mourning (#60)
Nate Thurmond (#61)
Chauncey Billups (#66)
Tracy McGrady (#69)
Rasheed Wallace (#74)
Kyle Lowry (#76)
Rudy Gobert (#77)
Bob Cousy (#79)
Sam Jones (#82)
Larry Nance (#83)
Kevin Johnson (#85)
Shawn Marion (#87)
Jack Sikma (#88)
Al Horford (#89)
Bill Sharman (#90)
Horace Grant (#92)
Billy Cunningham (#93)
Gus Williams (#95)

......So literally >30% of our already-inducted players scored fewer points than Nique did in his prime alone (in which he was >270 TS Add).

Let us look also at his ball-control (so often ignored when scrutinizing efficiency) by my Modified TOV% (which takes into account play-making [for others] volume).....

Nique is a career 7.84% (he's 7.31% in that 9-year prime).
Just for some comparisons of other mostly/partly-SF players (focusing mostly on guys who were at least once in awhile offensive centerpieces [though including some 2nd/3rd options I have on file], and trying to include several contemporaries, too) [career rs figures, fwiw]......

Kawhi Leonard - 6.41%
Vince Carter - 6.84%
Tracy McGrady - 6.85%
Eddie Jones - 7.18%
Shawn Marion - 7.42%
Alex English - 7.80%
Dominique Wilkins - 7.84%
Clyde Drexler - 7.87%
Larry Bird - 7.88%
Kyle Korver - 7.92%
LeBron James - 7.94%
James Worthy - 8.03%
Carmelo Anthony - 8.16%
Richard Jefferson - 8.53%
Sean Elliot - 8.62%
Grant Hill - 8.73%
Mark Aguirre - 8.80%
Kevin Durant - 8.89%
Latrell Sprewell - 8.97%
Scottie Pippen - 9.17%
Paul Pierce - 9.28%
George Gervin [minus '77] - 9.36%
Adrian Dantley [minus '77] - 9.46%
Julius Erving [minus '77] - 9.61%
Jerry Stackhouse - 10.16%
Bernard King - 10.27%
Derrick McKey - 10.41%

.....in short: Nique took pretty good care of the ball.

He was also a very good offensive rebounding SF, fwiw.
And did all of this positively effect his team?...........

Atlanta Hawks rORtg and league rank during Nique’s prime
‘86: +0.7 rORTG (11th/23)
‘87: +4.3 rORTG (4th/23)
‘88: +3.3 rORTG (5th/23)
‘89: +4.4 rORTG (4th/25)
‘90: +4.9 rORTG (4th/27)
‘91: +3.0 rORTG (8th/27)
‘92: -0.9 rORTG (16th/27)*
*Important to note Nique missed 40 games this^^^ year. They were +0.8 rORTG in the 42 games he played, -2.6 rORTG in the 40 he missed.
‘93: +1.3 rORTG (10th/27)
‘94 (Nique traded late season): +0.9 rORTG (12th/27)

So over the 8-year span [where he was a part of the team for the full season, in his prime], they AVERAGED a +2.63 rORTG. If, for '92 [where he missed half the season], we use the rORTG they had when he played, they averaged a +2.84 rORTG. Again, that's over an EIGHT YEAR span.
In that 5-year [peri-peak] period of '87-'91, they averaged a fairly elite +3.98 rORTG.

And let's just look at who his primary supporting cast was---in descending order of playing time---for that 5-year stretch in which they were >/= +3.0 rORTG every single year.....
'87: Kevin Willis, Doc Rivers, Randy Wittman, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak
'88: Doc Rivers, Randy Wittman, Cliff Levingston, Kevin Willis, Tree Rollins, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb, John Battle
'89: [late prime/early post-prime] Moses Malone, Reggie Theus, Doc Rivers, Cliff Levingston, John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb
'90: Moses Malone (post-prime), Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Cliff Levingston, Doc Rivers, John Battle
'91: Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Jon Koncak, Moses Malone (35 yrs old, very post-prime), John Battle

In the other prime years it's even less impressive:
'86: Randy Wittman, Kevin Willis, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak, Doc Rivers, Spud Webb
'92: Kevin Willis, Stacey Augmon, Rumeal Robinson, Blair Rasmussen, Paul Graham, Duane Ferrell, Alexander Volkov
'93: Kevin Willis, Mookie Blaylock, Stacey Augmon, Jon Koncak, Duane Ferrell, Adam Keefe, Paul Graham

Yet they kept having above average offenses.......as long as Dominique played.

He's a notable playoff faller. This is a valid criticism, though I would point out two things:
1) We're at #96 here. NOBODY is without warts at this point.
2) Look again at the casts above. Who the hell else is the opposing (generally good) defense going to game-plan about stopping? Kevin Willis?.....the guy with a career 0.9 apg and career TS Add of -254.8, who never once averaged 20 ppg, and with a below average [for a big-man] mTOV%? Doc Rivers? A good offensive player, to be sure, but not exactly someone who strikes fear into the heart of an opponent. And after that it quickly degrades into names like Randy Wittman and Jon Koncak.

Come on; defenses could preferentially laser-focus on Dominique because there was no McHale/Parish, Pippen/Grant/Armstrong, Dumars/Laimbeer/Aguirre, Worthy/Scott/(Kareem), Daugherty/Nance, Mullin/Richmond, Porter/Kersey, etc level ancillary cast to speak of. Ever.

I don't mean that as an excuse, but some context.
Was Dominique the level of offensive player who could "carry the load' in the playoffs with no help at all? No. Few players are.

And for as much as we say Nique failed in the playoffs, in his prime he averaged: 28.0 pts @ 50.9% TS, 6.4 rpg, 2.9 apg, with 7.45% mTOV%. He wasn't laying a giant goose egg every single night. Averaging 28 pts on very good [near-elite] wing turnover economy is not a "crapping the bed" average, when the defense is singularly focused on you.

I'll also throw in this:
Dominique Wilkins with/without records in prime
‘86: 49-29 (.628) with, 1-3 (.250) without
‘87: 56-23 (.709) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘88: 48-30 (.615) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘89: 51-29 (.638) with, 1-1 (.500) without
‘90: 39-41 (.488) with, 2-0 without
‘91: 43-38 (.531) with, 0-1 without
‘92: 22-20 (.524) with, 16-24 (.400) without
‘93: 39-32 (.549) with, 4-7 (.364) without
‘94: 42-32 (.568) with, 4-5 (.444) without
TOTAL: 389-274 (.587)---on pace for 48.1 wins---with him; 31-45 (.408)---on pace for 33.5 wins---without him. Avg +14.7 wins added. (or as OldSchoolNoBull puts it: +17.9% change to win%)

For me, Nique is such an easy inclusion on the list. Really hope he makes it.

Alternate vote: James Worthy
Not terribly close to Nique on my ATL, though not terribly far either (unlike all the other nominees).
Solid scorer in a tough era with notable playoff performances, very relevant piece of a perennial contender, and was passable/decent on defense to my memory.
Longevity could be better, but among the candidates we have, he's comfortably my 2nd choice.

Nomination: Chris Bosh!
Alternate nomination: Bob McAdoo (I guess)

Had gone with LMA as my alternate, but since doing so appears to be a wasted alternate, I'll go with Bob, who's in the near vicinity. Could also get behind Dan Issel or Alex English (or Melo or Zelmo or Webber or potentially Chet Walker). I'd take any one of those guys over most of the available candidates here.
Still a bit disconcerted by the lack of consideration Aldridge gets.

Aldridge:
GOAT-tier big-man turnover economy (might be THE GOAT in this), which generally leverages his all-around offensive efficiency and production to be very similar to someone like prime Chris Bosh.
He's top 60 all-time in career rs Win Shares, despite this being a stat that doesn't really "like" his play style or box profile (because it doesn't like the very thing he's often [here] criticized for; yet still.......).
He was fairly consistently pegged somewhere between All-NBA level and fringe All-Star by impact metrics throughout his [decent length] prime. All of this in a very competitive era, fwiw.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trelos6
Junior
And1: 146

Post#6 » by trelos6 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:02 pm

Vote: Wilkins

Dominique was a solid scorer who was playing at an ALL NBA level for 5 seasons.

Alt vote: Bob Davies

Tough to rank due to league quality in the early years, but he was clearly the first high level guard.

Nomination: Bob McAdoo

Short peak, but weak MVP level.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,398

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 pm

Vote 1 - Dominique Wilkins
Vote 2 - James Worthy
Nomination 1 - Carmelo Anthony
Nomination 2 - Bob McAdoo

Nique
Dominique had an impressive stretch from '85-'94:

28 PPG, 7 RPG, 2.9 APG, 1.4 SPG on 54.1% TS, 113 ORTG, +5.1 OBPM

He was absolutely devastating at the rim in his prime, and it would be awesome to have some shot charts on this guy. He has some playoff shortcomings, but I'd say he had "good" rosters around him at best, and typically lost to more talented teams (3 times losing to the eventual NBA champs).

I also really respect his ability to come back from a major injury and still produce at a high level. The amount of determination that takes is huge, especially since it was later in his career. After returning from the ruptured achilles in 92-93, he put up 29.9 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1 SPG, .4 BPG on 57% TS (+3.4 rTS) for the 43 win hawks.

Melo
While accolades aren't everything, Carmelo was recognized for his stellar play throughout his prime:

- 6x All NBA (2x 2nd, 4x 3rd)
- Finished 3rd and 6th in MVP voting

He also ranks 10th all time in total career points.

Below are players already voted in in Melo’s VORP and Win Shares range. I left out older players who had some seasons before VORP was calculated since it's cumulative:

VORP
Dwight Howard 38.97
Rasheed Wallace 38.36
Kevin Johnson 37.27
Jack Sikma 37.02
Carmelo Anthony 36.71
Ben Wallace 36.15
Kevin McHale 34.29
Dikembe Mutombo 33.86
Sidney Moncrief 33.14
Tony Parker 30.13
Alonzo Mourning 27.45
Dennis Rodman 21

Win Shares
Paul Arizin 108.8
Carmelo Anthony 108.52
Manu Ginobili 106.4
Rasheed Wallace 105.09
Rudy Gobert 104.65
Kawhi Leonard 99.16
Allen Iverson 98.97
Tracy McGrady 97.27
Ben Wallace 93.51
Kevin Johnson 92.77
Sam Jones 92.29
Bob Cousy 91.11
Sidney Moncrief 90.32
Dennis Rodman 89.83
Alonzo Mourning 89.74
Dave Cowens 86.32
Isiah Thomas 80.69

Peak carmelo developed into a very good offensive player. The “iso melo” narrative was overstated in his best seasons. This coincided with having a decent PG rotation to keep the ball moving (a little different, but billups certainly got the best out of him in denver). He became one of the better off ball players in 12-13, actually shooting more efficiently and on higher volume than durant in catch and shoot situations. His transition to a good volume 3PT shooter also opened up his game, and he stepped into transition 3s about as well as anyone in the league.

He’s obviously known for his post up and face up game, but not acknowledged as much for being a great offensive rebounder for his position. He had a deceptively quick second jump and soft touch around the rim for put backs. He also possessed a unique rolling spin move to the hoop which created a lot of space on his drives. The one thing he was really average at is finishing at the rim, and i’d say that partially has to do with him not being able to take advantage of the way the game is called these days. He wasn’t a freak show athlete like lebron, and he didn't have those long strides like durant/harden where they know the angles and draw fouls easily.

I'd also point out that while melo's transition to a role player was a bit rocky, he didn't call it quits like iverson when asked to come off the bench. You could make the argument that he was scapegoated in houston (to be clear, no conspiracy theories here about him getting blackballed -- that was just dumb). There's some revisionist history there as he did what he was told. Then his first year in in portland he did exactly what you'd want from a role player in year 17: 38.5% from 3 on 3.9 attempts per game, posting a positive net rating and on/off along with being a great teammate.

As I noted earlier, melo's best years came when he had decent PG play around him. Knicks management largely failed him in this regard post 2013. In 12-13, a merely average PG rotation of felton, kidd and prigioni was quite beneficial to him. In 13-14 felton was out of shape and kidd retired. After that:

14-15: Shane Larkin, Langston Galloway, 37 yr old Prigioni, 33 yr old Calderon

15-16: Langston Galloway, rookie Jerian Grant, 34 yr old Calderon — this PG rotation was so poor that Carmelo ended up leading the team in APG and just about equaled Calderon in AST%

16-17: Rose, Jennings, rookie Ron Baker

Jennings was really the one penetrate and dish PG the knicks had in those 3 seasons.  He even seemed to buy in to the fact that he couldn't shoot and really got everyone involved.  Of course, he had rose starting in front of him, so his time on the floor with melo was limited.  He was used more in bench lineups that actually thrived, relatively speaking.

In an era where dynamic PG play is paramount, knicks management abhorrently ignored the position.  I don’t think you can find such ineptitude in a front office with playoff aspirations outside of the cousins-era kings.  

Then we get to the clutch play.  82games.com looked at shot data from '04-'09 in the regular season + '04-'08 in the post season.  Carmelo was 6th in the league in game winners, but #1 in the league by far in FG% on game winners at 48.1%:

http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

By 2011, he already had enough game winners to choose from to create a top 10 for his career:

For clutch data from 2000-2012, carmelo was 7th in the league in FG%, and 50% of his FGs were assisted, which is interesting to note for being criticized for holding the ball too long.

http://bit.ly/1wnySdJ

[I’d obviously prefer eFG% or TS% for these figures, but they weren’t available here]

Carmelo gets a decent amount of flack for his playoff resume, and I think it’s a little overstated, so I’d like to provide some context for each season.  It also seems to get pushed aside that making the playoffs 10 seasons in a row is no big deal or something, especially when the majority of them came out west.  Below is carmelo’s team SRS rank and the opponent’s SRS rank that he lost to in the playoffs in his prime.

CARMELO SRS RANK / OPPONENT SRS RANK
'04 - 11th / 2nd
'05 - 10th / 1st (eventual NBA champion spurs)
'06 - 15th / 9th
'07 - 9th / 1st (eventual NBA champion spurs)
'08 - 11th / 2nd
'09 - 8th / 3rd (eventual NBA champion lakers)
'10 - 8th / 3rd
'11 - 15th / 6th
'12 - 11th / 4th (eventual NBA champion heat)
'13 - 7th / 9th

Aside from 2013, the team he lost to has always been favored in SRS, with 4 of the 10 series losses coming to the eventual NBA champs.  To me, this doesn’t reflect a player who’s come up short when he’s been expected to go farther in the playoffs.  You can make the argument that if he was a better player, he may have been favored in more series, but that only goes so far.  

Some details on his later playoff appearances:

'09 - This run to the WCF almost gets glossed over at times.  Nuggets were 2 wins away from the finals, losing to the eventual NBA champion lakers, who were just flat out the better team. He had some great performances during that run.

'11 -  Billups gets hurt in game 1 against boston (out for rest of series), then amare gets hurt in game 2 only playing 17 min.  First 2 games are decided by 2 and 3 points respectively.  

Tony douglas forced to play PG for the rest of the series, basically putting it out of reach.

'12 - Disastrous number of injuries.  Tyson chandler finishes off a DPOY season, and of course gets the flu as soon as the playoffs start.  Lin doesn’t come back for the playoffs, shumpert and douglas only play 1 game a piece, baron davis eventually goes down, and the knicks are only left with 33 yr old mike bibby to run the point, who already had 1 foot in retirement.

'13 - First time since carmelo came to the knicks that they really looked like a team who could make a run to the finals.  PG play was always an issue prior to this season, and felton came up big in the 1st round against boston.  Ball movement flowing with kidd and prigioni as well.  Then in the 2nd round against indiana, chandler again doesn’t look himself, which would later be revealed that he had an “undisclosed illness” during the series.  I think there’s a good chance they beat the pacers with a healthy chandler, and who knows what happens from there.

Here are the best players carmelo’s played with in his prime: andre miller (first few seasons of carmelo's career), kenyon martin (often injured), post 30s iverson, camby (often injured), JR smith, nene (often injured), billups, afflalo, amare (often injured), tyson chandler (often injured), kidd in his last season, in shape felton and porzingis' rookie/soph year.  

Outside of iverson, that’s a collection of good players, but nothing that screams "consistent second option", or even "consistent first option" if you want to push carmelo down a notch.  Porzingis and carmelo actually had great chemistry until rose came along, but their timelines unfortunately didn't match up.  Fit is clearly important, too, and while iverson and carmelo never had "problems" with each other, it wasn't working.  It’s not an accident that carmelo’s best seasons came with billups running the show in 2009 and a knicks team in 2013 which focused heavily on keeping the ball moving and quick decision making.

When he made it to OKC with westbrook and george it was just too little too late. Not denying the growing pains, but he was in year 15 and not the same player since his knee surgery. Took him time to adjust his game to a true role player like he did with the blazers and the lakers. 

McAdoo
McAdoo's MVP season in '75 was quite impressive posting 34.5 PPG, 14.1 RPG, 2.2 APG, 1.1 SPG, 2.1 BPG on 56.9% TS (+6.7 rTS). The Braves would lose in 7 games to the #1 SRS ranked Bullets that year, with a valiant effort by McAdoo: 37.4 PPG, 13.4 RPG, 1.4 APG, .9 SPG, 2.7 BPG, 52.8% TS. He was an efficiency darling in general during his prime with rTS ranging from +3 to +9.

I think at this point in the project every player will have their flaws, and his defense comes off more as knocking him down a peg as opposed to a major liability. The contributions to the lakers '82 and '85 championship teams are also worth noting. In the '82 run he put up 16.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 1.6 APG, .7 SPG, 1.5 BPG on 58.7% TS.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,897

Post#8 » by Samurai » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:55 pm

Vote for #96: Dominique Wilkins. The Human Highlight Film. Not the most well-rounded player of all time; not an elite passer, rebounder, outside shooter or defender. But he had excellent footwork, could jump out of the gym, had a dynamic spin move (that he said he patterned after Earl Monroe), and was a GOAT-level in-game dunker. Better longevity than Hagan and far more than Doncic, he was a 9-time All Star and averaged over 26 points/game for 10 straight seasons.

Alternate vote: Cliff Hagan. I think Doncic is the best player here but since the rules don't allow us to include this season, he's only played in 330 RS games. As great as he is now, that's just too much missing longevity to make up for. Next year when we can include the 24 season, I would definitely vote for him over Hagan. Never saw Hagan play live but he was a 6-time all star, led the league in OWS once, and was consistently in the top 20 in points, rebounds, and assists per game.

Nomination: Jerry Lucas. No I don't expect Luke to get much support as he didn't make the top 100 the last time either. But he's been a personal favorite of mine since I went to his summer camp so this is a personal bias vote for me. Outstanding shooter who shot for a very high percentage in his era, especially notable since he typically shot from farther out than most anyone else at that time. Twice led the league in TS% with eight total finishes in the top 20. A poor defender on the wing due to his lack of foot speed, he was a solid low post defender due to his strength and positioning, although at only 6-8 he could not stop taller elites like Wilt or Kareem. Seven finishes in the top 20 in DWS and eight times for OWS, he was named All NBA five times (3 first teams and 2 second teams). An elite rebounder, although he was a noted stat padder, he spent hours in the gym studying flight patterns and angles of shots to determine where a potential rebound is most likely to fall and used this uncanny positioning and strength to offset his lack of hops. Also a very good passer for a big in that era.

Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy. While I was never a big fan of his, I also admit that I only saw him play in the latter (post-prime) half of his career. Had the impression that he was kind of an 'empty stats' guy who put up big numbers that didn't necessarily translate into big impact. His WOWY isn't too impressive and he didn't seem to raise his game in the playoffs, although he didn't have any playoff appearances during his peak years. But he was a strong scorer who shot a high percentage for his era, finishing in the top 10 in TS% nine times. Was a good (but not elite) rebounder with seven top 10 finishes in reb/game. Excellent WS numbers with seven different seasons of 10+ WS (more than any of our current nominees), including a 16 WS rookie year.
f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Post#9 » by f4p » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:13 pm

Vote: Luka Doncic

Has possibly the 3 best playoff series of anybody in the nomination group (if I scale down the 1958 Finals for era concerns), and probably of almost everybody in the last 20 spots. He's just another tier up from Tatum in the playoffs and there isn't enough of a longevity difference, especially since Tatum's first couple of years weren't anything to write home about. Concerns about his impact but I didn't think those Clippers series should have gone as long as they did (and Kawhi needed an amazing Game 7 to counter Luka's Game 7) and his punking of the Suns was the kind of thing that you hardly see outside of the all-time Top 10.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#10 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:34 pm

AEnigma wrote:Chet I think has a moderately similar in-era profile to Worthy. Worse player in my eyes, but key part of an all-time team, and (distinct from Worthy’s case) led two conference finals teams and was potentially a basket away from making the Finals over the eventual champion. After Bob Davies’ induction, we will have covered all title winners in the “primary” league. The next closest teams without representation are the 2002 Kings (Vlade or Webber), the 1976/79 Suns (Paul Westphal, who maybe take’s Gus’s place here with a title)… and the 1975 Bulls (asterisk on Thurmond here given that he was a deeper bench piece for the playoffs). Doing that in addition to the 1967 title makes it easy to argue for Chet as the most successful star yet to be represented.

However, I am giving my primary nomination to McAdoo because he has more support than Chet and because I agree that MVP qualifies him as one of the other most historically significant figures remaining. Realistically, I intend to fully support four of the current options for induction. That will take us to the final thread, where for me it comes down to Hagan — who again I would not hate being inducted but is just so much lower on my list that he is barely worth personal consideration — and a yet to be nominated player. Having given up on several other forwards, I hope that player is Chet. However, if it is not Chet, McAdoo seems like another reasonable choice for closing out the project. The optics of inclusion matter a lot to me. This project’s ordering is atypical in ways I generally support, but I do think it is important to make sure everyone inducted should pass the proverbial smell test, and a league MVP with a fringe top 50 peak seems like he would (best evidenced by Embiid’s induction forty spots ago… and to some extent Luka’s impending induction now).

I am not opposed to Marc Gasol and may switch the alternate to him depending on how votes go. Also still moderately interested in Zelmo Beaty because of a respectable ABA title, numerous NBA conference finals, and what should have been an ABA MVP. Not opposed to the inclusion of Connie Hawkins either; like McAdoo, I see a bit of merit in rewarding these high peak league MVPs who were overlooked by the peaks project, whether unfairly or just because there are only so many spots.

Finally, while they are less essential to the story of the league and therefore make for odder choices at #100, I would be similarly unopposed to the title-winning RAPM superstars Jrue Holiday, Metta Artest, and Andre Iguodala.

Glad to see the shouts to players as we hit this final stage of the project.

I think both (Mac & Chet) the guys you gave nominations to are guys that warrant serious consideration from others.
Zelmo & Hawk are also guys that are quite serious for me.

McAdoo & Hawk are similar in that they have MVP-level peaks but problematic longevity. Of the two I can't help but side with Hawk who I think had a more complete ability to dominate the game.

Chet & Zelmo are guys that don't have that same type of peak, but do have better longevity. Of the two, Chet's longevity is really, really nice, but I think Zelmo generally looked like the bigger WOWY guy in the NBA years, to say nothing of his revelation in the ABA.

This implies that I'd go between Hawk & Zelmo, and there I've been pushing Zelmo this time around...though that's in part because I just came away from last project feeling like he didn't have enough longevity to convince others, and that I myself probably have some homer bias.

In terms of Gasol, Holiday, Artest & Iguodala, I don't feel strongly enough about any one guy to champion them though I think they all have cases based on longevity. That said, I'd be against Artest. He's one of those "He blew it" guys for me. Take away his mental issues and he's probably in my 100, but as is, I'd have him below all of these other guys.

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,714

Post#11 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Chet I think has a moderately similar in-era profile to Worthy. Worse player in my eyes, but key part of an all-time team, and (distinct from Worthy’s case) led two conference finals teams and was potentially a basket away from making the Finals over the eventual champion. After Bob Davies’ induction, we will have covered all title winners in the “primary” league. The next closest teams without representation are the 2002 Kings (Vlade or Webber), the 1976/79 Suns (Paul Westphal, who maybe take’s Gus’s place here with a title)… and the 1975 Bulls (asterisk on Thurmond here given that he was a deeper bench piece for the playoffs). Doing that in addition to the 1967 title makes it easy to argue for Chet as the most successful star yet to be represented.

I think both (Mac & Chet) the guys you gave nominations to are guys that warrant serious consideration from others.

McAdoo & Hawk are similar in that they have MVP-level peaks but problematic longevity. Of the two I can't help but side with Hawk who I think had a more complete ability to dominate the game.

Chet & Zelmo are guys that don't have that same type of peak, but do have better longevity. Of the two, Chet's longevity is really, really nice, but I think Zelmo generally looked like the bigger WOWY guy in the NBA years, to say nothing of his revelation in the ABA.

This implies that I'd go between Hawk & Zelmo, and there I've been pushing Zelmo this time around...though that's in part because I just came away from last project feeling like he didn't have enough longevity to convince others, and that I myself probably have some homer bias.

In terms of Gasol, Holiday, Artest & Iguodala, I don't feel strongly enough about any one guy to champion them though I think they all have cases based on longevity. That said, I'd be against Artest. He's one of those "He blew it" guys for me. Take away his mental issues and he's probably in my 100, but as is, I'd have him below all of these other guys.

I just have a skepticism about Zelmo's ABA peak that I can't seem to shake. You compared Zelmo and Chet, so I wanted to compare Chet to just Zelmo's seven years on the Hawks before going to the ABA, using some box composite stuff:

Walker: .168 WS/48, 117.0 average TS Add
Zelmo: .157 WS/48, 96.6 average TS Add

Zelmo's full career numbers are .171 WS/48 and 123.0 average TS Add. That's how much those ABA years boosted him, especially those first two ABA years.

It's also Zelmo's atypical career arc amongst guys who played in both leagues, in that his ABA years came after his NBA years, and in most other instances it's the other way around. So not only is he getting a bump in the ABA, he's getting it after the age of 30, after sitting a year out, no less.

I would also point out that if you compare Zelmo's NBA peak year(I have it as 67-68) to his ABA peak year(70-71), and then do the same for Hawk(69-70 and 67-68), it looks to me like there's less space between the two for Hawk than for Zelmo. I'm looking at PER 36 numbers here for normalization(no PER 100 for these guys for the most part) and shooting percentages. They look reasonably close except for FG%. Zelmo got a much bigger shooting boost in the ABA.

Hawk
67-68(ABA): 21.5/10.8/3.7, 51.9% FG, 76.4% FT
69-70(NBA): 21.7/9.2/4.2, 49.0% FG, 77.9% FT

67-68(NBA): 20.3/11.3/2.0, 48.8% FG, 79.4% FT
70-71(ABA): 21.5/14.7/1.8, 55.5% FG, 79.1% FT

So I don't know...it's a tough call. I feel like Zelmo saw an inordinate amount of inflation to his performance in the ABA, but Hawk has the longevity issue.

Walker also appears to have a statistical edge over Zelmo looking only at their NBA careers, as well as a longevity edge. But there I may be making a homer pick because he was a Bull, even if before my time.

FWIW, I probably would take all three over some of the guys that have gotten in in the later stages of the project.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#12 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:31 pm

Also, with secondary votes included, McAdoo seems to be running away with the nomination after barely being mentioned before. Wasn't expecting that when I nominated him last thread.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 146

Post#13 » by trelos6 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:58 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Also, with secondary votes included, McAdoo seems to be running away with the nomination after barely being mentioned before. Wasn't expecting that when I nominated him last thread.

Bob’s been on my list but behind a few guys. The other guys weren’t getting any support, so I went down to Bob this round.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,322

Post#14 » by AEnigma » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

1970 Stars: 43-41 (make the Finals and give the champion Pacers their closest series)

1971 Stars: 52-24 with Beaty, 5-3 without (win title)

1972 Stars: 60-24 with Beaty

1973 Stars: 53-29 with Beaty, 2-0 without

1974 Stars: 47-30 with Beaty, 3-2 without… then 1-4 without in the postseason.

Team loses three starters (Wise, Beaty, and Jimmy Jones) in 1975 but does directly replace Beaty with 19/20-year-old Moses Malone in his rookie season. They go 38-46, which I would say generally qualifies as a decent signal (although interestingly, they play the 65-win Nuggets close in the postseason).

So from 1970-74, the Stars are 53-46 without Beaty and 212-107 with him, so lift is roughly 12 wins. Not bad, and corresponds closely with the Stars going from 11-11 in the postseason up to 33-19 over the same period.

However, that is the ABA. Going back to the NBA, the 1964 Hawks are 35-24 with him and 11-10 without him (as a sophomore), which is solid. Plays all of 1965 (45-35) and 1966 (36-44) before again missing time in 1967, where they go from 25-23 with to 14-19 without. Strong rebound in 1968 at 56-26. In 1969, 43-29 with and 5-5 without. Buuuuut then in 1970, they stay 48-34 without Beaty. They make a late move for Walt Bellamy (at the cost of absolutely nothing) and go 15-8 with him, so say they were 33-26 without a real replacement for Beaty.

All told, that gives us 240-183 with (46.5-win pace) to 63-60 without (42-win pace). Do not love that. By point differential, the Hawks were +1.65 with Beaty and -1.27 without either Beaty or Bellamy, and that is much more respectable but is still only around 8 wins of value (~46 wins down to ~38 wins by expected wins in that era).

Again, I am okay with Beaty here on a basis of overall accomplishment across a basketball career, but I would generally not call his WOWY a significant point to his favour.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#15 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:33 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I just have a skepticism about Zelmo's ABA peak that I can't seem to shake. You compared Zelmo and Chet, so I wanted to compare Chet to just Zelmo's seven years on the Hawks before going to the ABA, using some box composite stuff:

Zelmo's full career numbers are .171 WS/48 and 123.0 average TS Add. That's how much those ABA years boosted him, especially those first two ABA years.

It's also Zelmo's atypical career arc amongst guys who played in both leagues, in that his ABA years came after his NBA years, and in most other instances it's the other way around. So not only is he getting a bump in the ABA, he's getting it after the age of 30, after sitting a year out, no less.

I would also point out that if you compare Zelmo's NBA peak year(I have it as 67-68) to his ABA peak year(70-71), and then do the same for Hawk(69-70 and 67-68), it looks to me like there's less space between the two for Hawk than for Zelmo. I'm looking at PER 36 numbers here for normalization(no PER 100 for these guys for the most part) and shooting percentages. They look reasonably close except for FG%. Zelmo got a much bigger shooting boost in the ABA.

Hawk

So I don't know...it's a tough call. I feel like Zelmo saw an inordinate amount of inflation to his performance in the ABA, but Hawk has the longevity issue.

Walker also appears to have a statistical edge over Zelmo looking only at their NBA careers, as well as a longevity edge. But there I may be making a homer pick because he was a Bull, even if before my time.

FWIW, I probably would take all three over some of the guys that have gotten in in the later stages of the project.

So, I do think Chet deserves our respect and is a reasonable choice here. Some things to consider though:

If you look at Chet's WS/48 over the years you'll see something that's no less unusual than Zelmo. Notice Chet's extreme spike in '71-72.

If we simply look at the stats of these two guys through '68-69, when Zelmo left the NBA:

Walker .137 WS/48
Zelmo .157 WS/48

So Zelmo has the clear edge by this metric until he leaves, and if you're judging by WS/48 to give Chet the nod, then you're doing so based on what Chet did in the '70s.

But of course, Walker's skyrocketing WS/48 is a purely regular season phenomenon. If we just break things down by team he was on:

76ers: RS .137 PS .133
Bulls: RS .204 PS .135

So then, if we were to say that Walker surpasses Zelmo based on his Chicago years, then we're focused on years where he and his team tended to fade from prominence when it mattered, while Zelmo was busy leading a team to a title.

Another thing I feel like bringing up even if it isn't a direct argument:

If you compare Billy Cunningham to Zelmo Beaty, you basically just see Zelmo kill Billy by WS/48 the whole time. NBA, ABA, RS, PS. It all goes to Zelmo. Now that's just one metric, and even if it weren't, Cunningham's already in - as he has been literally every iteration of this project while Zelmo's neve made it - so to some degree it is what it is.

But I do think it's worth noting that in Philly together, Walker didn't have the big WS/48 edge over Cunningham. So this isn't a "Yeah but that's how it is in general with Cunningham" thing, this is a "Zelmo ahead of Cunningham in general, Walker ahead of Cunningham because of the Chicago years."

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#16 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Hawk

So, I do think Chet deserves our respect and is a reasonable choice here. Some things to consider though:

If you look at Chet's WS/48 over the years you'll see something that's no less unusual than Zelmo. Notice Chet's extreme spike in '71-72.

It's an efficiency spike, and while I can't say exactly why it occurred, I would hazard a guess that it's not unrelated to Norm Van Lier arriving that season and maybe the upgrade at PG may have been beneficial to Chet.

If we simply look at the stats of these two guys through '68-69, when Zelmo left the NBA:

Walker .137 WS/48
Zelmo .157 WS/48

So Zelmo has the clear edge by this metric until he leaves, and if you're judging by WS/48 to give Chet the nod, then you're doing so based on what Chet did in the '70s.

Fair point, but what's wrong with saying Chet's best years came in the 70s?

But of course, Walker's skyrocketing WS/48 is a purely regular season phenomenon. If we just break things down by team he was on:

So then, if we were to say that Walker surpasses Zelmo based on his Chicago years, then we're focused on years where he and his team tended to fade from prominence when it mattered, while Zelmo was busy leading a team to a title.

It's a fair criticism to say that Chet was an inconsistent playoff performer, and I have acknowledged that, but again, Zelmo's argument seems to rest more on his ABA years than on his NBA years. I meant to include this in my original post, but if you compare Zelmo's playoff WS/48 only in his NBA years to Chet's full career, they're exactly the same - .133 WS/48 - while Zelmo's playoff WS/48 including the ABA years is .161.

It really comes down to how much you value what he did in the ABA.

As for Chet and his Bulls teams tending to fade when it mattered, I would remind you that they were in a western conference where they were running into the Wilt/West Lakers and Kareem/Oscar Bucks four out of six years(the former 3x and the latter 1x). It does not seem entirely fair to ding them for that, considering, with all due respect, Zelmo's playoff competition in the ABA probably wasn't quite as stiff as that.

If you compare Billy Cunningham to Zelmo Beaty, you basically just see Zelmo kill Billy by WS/48 the whole time. NBA, ABA, RS, PS. It all goes to Zelmo. Now that's just one metric, and even if it weren't, Cunningham's already in - as he has been literally every iteration of this project while Zelmo's neve made it - so to some degree it is what it is.

But I do think it's worth noting that in Philly together, Walker didn't have the big WS/48 edge over Cunningham. So this isn't a "Yeah but that's how it is in general with Cunningham" thing, this is a "Zelmo ahead of Cunningham in general, Walker ahead of Cunningham because of the Chicago years."

It sure looks like he had an advantage to me:

RS Walker vs Cunningham:
66 - .143 vs .112
67 - .181 vs .151
68 - .150 vs .148
69 - .170 vs .129

PO Walker vs Cunningham:
66 - .085 vs -0.153
67 - .201 vs .056
68 - .086 vs .323
69 - .132 vs .013

He has the advantage seven out of eight times, and a number of those times(not all, obviously) it looks fairly significant.

But I'll end this by saying again that I could see Zelmo as Top 100. I'm not saying he's not. It's just that there are so few spaces left and a number of players that have been inducted that wouldn't be in my Top 100. In the end, I don't think either Walker or Zelmo will be getting in, sadly.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#17 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:27 am

Induction Vote #1: Cliff Hagan
Induction Vote #2: Dominique Wilkins

Asking myself who the best player, relative to era, on this ballot is, I suppose one can make arguments for Hagan, Davies, and Luka, but Luka lacks the longevity and accolades, and Hagan's individual numbers look much more impressive, IMO, than Davies.

This is coming down to Dominique and Luka, and I have been consistent in my opinion that without any hardware to his name, it is simply too early for Luka to be on the list with his glaring lack of longevity, while Dominique has nearly 40k minutes to his name. Dominique is a borderline guy to me, but with such an enormous longevity gap, I'll give him the nod here.

Nomination Vote #1: Bob McAdoo
Nomination Vote #2: Chet Walker

My secondary nomination vote for McAdoo last round seems to have spurred a sudden show of support this round, so I will join that show of support.

The discussion about Walker in this thread, as well as AEnigma's secondary vote for him, has encouraged me to give him a nod this time.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,777

Post#18 » by eminence » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:34 am

Vote #1: Bob Davies
-You've read it before
-First great guard, balance of playmaking for others/scoring
-Plenty of team success
-Reasonable longevity, bordering on great if considering circumstance

Vote #2: Dominique Wilkins
-Pretty close decision vs Worthy
-Strong scorer
-Decent longevity
-Peak not overly strong, but not overly weak for this part of the list either
-I don't find Luka's peak significantly better at all, and the longevity gap is huge

Nomination #1: Chris Bosh
-Would jump to #2 on my ballot
-Good all-around game with no glaring weaknesses
I bought a boat.
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#19 » by ShaqAttac » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 am

mma go

LUKA

Best player here easy tbh. should have an mvp

Gonna nom

GASOL

won a chip anchoring great d and led good teams ig
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#20 » by Owly » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:27 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

Hawk

It's an efficiency spike, and while I can't say exactly why it occurred, I would hazard a guess that it's not unrelated to Norm Van Lier arriving that season and maybe the upgrade at PG may have been beneficial to Chet.

Walker .137 WS/48
Zelmo .157 WS/48

Fair point, but what's wrong with saying Chet's best years came in the 70s?

It's a fair criticism to say that Chet was an inconsistent playoff performer, and I have acknowledged that, but again, Zelmo's argument seems to rest more on his ABA years than on his NBA years. I meant to include this in my original post, but if you compare Zelmo's playoff WS/48 only in his NBA years to Chet's full career, they're exactly the same - .133 WS/48 - while Zelmo's playoff WS/48 including the ABA years is .161.

It really comes down to how much you value what he did in the ABA.

As for Chet and his Bulls teams tending to fade when it mattered, I would remind you that they were in a western conference where they were running into the Wilt/West Lakers and Kareem/Oscar Bucks four out of six years(the former 3x and the latter 1x). It does not seem entirely fair to ding them for that, considering, with all due respect, Zelmo's playoff competition in the ABA probably wasn't quite as stiff as that.

It sure looks like he had an advantage to me:

RS Walker vs Cunningham:
66 - .143 vs .112
67 - .181 vs .151
68 - .150 vs .148
69 - .170 vs .129

PO Walker vs Cunningham:
66 - .085 vs -0.153
67 - .201 vs .056
68 - .086 vs .323
69 - .132 vs .013

He has the advantage seven out of eight times, and a number of those times(not all, obviously) it looks fairly significant.

But I'll end this by saying again that I could see Zelmo as Top 100. I'm not saying he's not. It's just that there are so few spaces left and a number of players that have been inducted that wouldn't be in my Top 100. In the end, I don't think either Walker or Zelmo will be getting in, sadly.

On those Walker-Cunningham numbers ... whilst the big picture might be a matter of semantics on what one thinks is a "big" edge ... I'd just add that Cunningham's one lead is from a 3 game - 86 minute - sample exclusively from the first round. As effective as he was in that sample Cunningham's absence for the bulk of the4 '68 playoffs is presumably generally held as negative.

Fwiw, without a deep dive my personal inclination has always been more towards Walker over Cunningham.

Return to Player Comparisons