And1: 74

Post#2 » by BROWN » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 am

Nash no doubt. Comon dude....
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Hunter » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 am

I still think Baron is overrated.

Although I will say I was very impressed by his post-season performance. He was as good as anybody in that 1st round upset. But on the whole I still think he chucks a bit to much and gambles to much on defense. One of the best pg in the game though obviously, but I'd still roll w/ Nash without much hesitation.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
kandiking
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#4 » by kandiking » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:19 am

baron is a partially a product of Nellieball system.

Nash IS the system.
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
vvgotgame19
Starter
And1: 757

Post#5 » by vvgotgame19 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:45 am

kandiking wrote:baron is a partially a product of Nellieball system.

Nash IS the system.

Not true. You may have that reversed.

Baron was doing his thing in New Orleans way before he went to GS. Practically the same type of numbers. Nash on the other hand, never average double figure assists til he went to Phoenix. And that was on a stacked Dallas team.

With that said though, I'd probably still take Nash. He's still a better PG IMO.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by some_rand » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:10 am

nash nash nash nash... WAYYYY more consistent
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,609

Post#7 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:43 am

vvgotgame19 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not true. You may have that reversed.

Baron was doing his thing in New Orleans way before he went to GS. Practically the same type of numbers. Nash on the other hand, never average double figure assists til he went to Phoenix. And that was on a stacked Dallas team.

With that said though, I'd probably still take Nash. He's still a better PG IMO.

I'd say you're not understanding what "system" means. It means that a player's true impact is overestimated by looking only at his stats, however nobody gave Nash an MVP award because of his stats, they gave it to him because of his team impact.

Also, Davis' numbers did indeed look similar in New Orleans, and they look similar whether the team he plays on is effective or not. In fact the correlation here with Davis is that his numbers look similar to how they currently due whenever he's allowed a role with high primacy. And of course the big difference between Nash in Phoenix as opposed to Dallas is that Phoenix relied on him more. Moral of the story? How big a guy's individual numbers are depends greatly on the role he's used in.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#8 » by NetsForce » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Steven Trash > Baron Avis
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#9 » by The_Believer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm one of the very few who will go out on a limb and say Baron. Nash gets abused on defense by horrible offensive players (which I say is a much bigger flaw than Baron's chucking), while Baron always guards elite offensive players, and does a good job at cutting off their penetration and forcing them to shoot long jumpers.
On the offensive end, if Baron had Nash's cast, he would average double digit assists easily, and still put up 20ppg on a gamely basis.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#10 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 pm

when Baron is in a zone, there aren't many players that are better..but he's obviously playing without being in a hot zone most of the time(since nobody can consistently play in a hot zone)..Nash is much more efficient and consistent than Davis..
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#11 » by ITK9 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:18 pm

pls stop insulting steve nash.
Hard2dhole
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Hard2dhole » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:09 pm

I've said it before that when Baron is hot he's easy a top 5 player in the league. but he's also way too streaky. Nash is one of the most (if not the most) overrated players ever. Period. that being said Nash has great court vision, is one of the best set up men in the game today, is consistant as old faithful, and has a great shot.

As for who is the better player it depends on what night you're asking.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,725

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Nash is the better offensive player . . . clearly . . . better set up man, better shooter, Davis's only advantage is his superior strength which lets him get off shots Nash can't but it's more than set off by his poor (and constant) three point shooting.

Davis is the better defensive player . . . clearly . . . though Nash rotates and communicates better, he can't compare on the ball.

Nash is the more reliable both in terms of day to day consistency and in terms of health; Nash is the better attitude, Baron helped run Mike Montgomery out of town with his "Starbury" attitude (which admittedly might have helped the franchise but was done in a classless matter).

Overall, clearly Nash
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#14 » by killacalijatt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:29 am

Baron abuses Nash every time we play them.
If Baron was more consistant and didnt have a ego he'd have a a real advantage but Nash is clearly the more productive player. Barons clutch but Nash plays the wole game gotta give Nash the Nod here.

Return to Player Comparisons