Camby's big man defense: most overrated in the L?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,772

Camby's big man defense: most overrated in the L? 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:37 pm

is marcus camby's defense the most overrated among all big men? he's a former defensive player of the year, perennial all-defense team member but when i see him play i see someone who gambles for blocks all game long. he'll routinely leave his man wide open and get his much heralded 3 blocks a game. he's also not a very good post defender, probably due to his lack of size. in the playoffs mehmet okur did a much better job of defending a post scorer like pau gasol than marcus camby.

thoughts?

other overrated big man defenders?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,143
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Camby's big man defense: most overrated in the L? 

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:54 pm

He also camps under the rim, rips rebounds away from his own players, tries to block everything, and tries to take the ball up the floor after every board instead of getting it to a guard.

He puts up nice stats, but he really isn't a good player to have :-?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,772

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:06 am

gee, tell us how u really feel

maybe i should just change the title to camby's overrated status in general :lol:
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
AIfan3
Head Coach
And1: 3,700

Post#4 » by AIfan3 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:11 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:He also camps under the rim, rips rebounds away from his own players, tries to block everything, and tries to take the ball up the floor after every board instead of getting it to a guard.

He puts up nice stats, but he really isn't a good player to have :-?

Exactly.. If there was such a thing as a selfish defensive player, Camby fits that bill to a T..
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Hunter » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:20 am

I agree his defense is very overrated.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#6 » by HarlemHeat37 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:39 am

he's the most overrated defender OF ALL-TIME..

I can speak for Spurs fans when I say how annoyed and disgusted we are that Duncan doesn't have a DPOY, and Marcus **** Camby does..

thankfully KG went to Boston, because Camby would have another DPOY if KG was still in Minny..

it's the media..I have nothing against Camby, but the media makes him so overrated..
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:59 am

It's also another reason that all that "talent" on Denver is overrated.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#8 » by miller31time » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:09 am

I agree completely.

Below-average post defender. Around average help defender. Camps out in the lane for blocks.

Very over-rated and it's a crime, an absolute crime he got the DPOTY award over Duncan. I'm still mad about that to this day.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,494

Post#9 » by tsherkin » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:21 am

Second pretty much every notion in this thread.

That Camby has Duncan's DPOY is a travesty.

Camby is a pretty bad post defender and is the essence of a stat-padding defender, really not that good at all. He is to blocks what AI was to steals in Philly ITO defense, negative behavior that pads his stats but doesn't actually do a lot of good (sorry to rip on Iverson, there are other pertinent examples but he's the most prominent one in recent memory; at least AI's a decent man defender).
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Malinhion » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:43 pm

He does have most of the deficiencies mentioned in this thread but he's not the horrendous player you might gather from reading the same.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#11 » by Milkdud » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:25 pm

Malinhion wrote:He does have most of the deficiencies mentioned in this thread but he's not the horrendous player you might gather from reading the same.

I think that speaks for the talent level of bigmen in the NBA. Also I think he plays on a team where one of his biggest strenghts (his mobility) is maximized. Not to mention for all the negitives that have been mentioned he doesn't get yank. Karl seems to allow his players to go out there and attempt to be playmakers reguardless of who they are.
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
And1: 286

Post#12 » by shawngoat23 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm more than glad to take him on my fantasy team though. =)
penbeast0 wrote:Yes, he did. And as a mod, I can't even put him on ignore . . . sigh.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#13 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:05 pm

idk, I'd like to see him in a defensive system and see how overated he is. He plays on a team with two PG defenders a scorer and some kind of PF.

If he was apart of a defensive system as teh team's roler I think you would see him more disciplined. But as of now he's just going after all that penetration from either a PG or SG will get on DEN.

And stat pading or not he grabs rebounds and that ends possessions. It isn't like he's been grabing rebounds from Keyone Martin and then proceding to throw the ball out of bounds.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:22 pm

No, he grabs them and starts dribbling up court stifling a break of what could be Iverson and Melo running the floor.

I don't think he is disciplined enough for a traditional system at this point, he doesn't like to rotate, he likes to wait at the rim.
Aashvi78
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Aashvi78 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm

Return to Player Comparisons