Jason Thompson or LaMarcus Aldridge

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Jason Thompson or LaMarcus Aldridge 

Post#21 » by Smills91 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Kosar86 wrote:Aldrige may be the most overrated player in the league....is there a worse defensive starting PF? then throw in some average rebounding....

Are you kidding me? Aldridge is a really good defender. Not just average, but good. Didn't someone just post a big thing about how underrated he is? I think it may have been on the Blazer board.

He's not Duncan or Garnett, but he's FAR from the worst, he's above the median, IMO.

Yeah, man, not sure what games you're watching but Aldridge is definitely a sub-par defender. Thompson's defense is good if he could stay out of foul trouble.

Aldrigde is a better scorer and it's pretty close IMO. Thompson is a superior rebounder and defender(when able to play).
Smills91
Banned User

Post#22 » by Smills91 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 pm

J~Rush wrote:After watching the PDX SAC game I didn't come away all too impressed with Jason Thompson. He reminded me of a smaller less athletic lamarcus aldridge. However he's on my fantasy team and I've seen him put up good numbers, so I'll reserve judgment on him.

Dude, 1 game sample size? Com'n. Maybe had you watched just ONE of the previous 3 games you'd see what Thompson is capable of.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#23 » by whatchaknow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Smills91 wrote:
J~Rush wrote:After watching the PDX SAC game I didn't come away all too impressed with Jason Thompson. He reminded me of a smaller less athletic lamarcus aldridge. However he's on my fantasy team and I've seen him put up good numbers, so I'll reserve judgment on him.

Dude, 1 game sample size? Com'n. Maybe had you watched just ONE of the previous 3 games you'd see what Thompson is capable of.

Thats why he said he'll reserve judgment, cant you read?

Either way i'll take Aldridge. He's been playing a lot better lately. Also they are basically the same age and Lamarcus has been a proven contributor for 3 seasons already now. Cant wait to see Lamarcus when they get a coach that will let them run a little
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#24 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Thompson is a better rebounder then Aldridge statistically, although the discrepancy isn't as wide as some are making out.

Thompson's rebounding percentage is 15.4% compared to Aldridge's 13.5%. However, Aldridge does better on the defensive glass then Thompson, 19.5% vs 18.8%. Thompson has a big edge on the offensive glass, thus his overall advantage. That can be due to a lot of factors besides innate ability.

But then Thompson doesn't have the statistical disadvantage of having played alongside two of the best rebounders in the league like Aldridge has in Oden & Przybilla. Those two have tended to gobble up rebounds at a prodigious rate. Spencer Hawes is not in their class...not even close.

As far as defense, I'd say Aldridge is better. The numbers tend to support that as well. Now, Thompson plays a lot of C while Aldridge does not, so sometimes the comparisons are skewed a bit by something like that.

Aldridge has a significantly better defensive rating then Thompson, 104 vs 111. Aldridge also has better a defensive win share number.

And as PF's, opponent numbers reflect better defense on the part of Aldridge:

opponent eFG: Aldridge .486....Thompson .560
opponent FT attempts per48: Aldridge 4.8....Thompson 5.5
opponent rebounds per48: Aldridge 10.1....Thompson 13.4
opponent points per48: Aldridge 19.8....Thompson 23.1
opponent PER: Aldridge 15.9....Thompson 21.9

Now, the Kings play at a higher pace then Portland so those per48 numbers would adjust a little in Thompson's favor, but not enough to make a significant difference. And the differential in PER and eFG is a pretty significant advantage for Aldridge

It's also worth noting the large differential in opponent rebounds. Some of that could be due to Aldridge being better at blocking out, but it also supports the contention that Aldridge's rebounding numbers are depressed compared to Thompson's because of the presence of Oden and Przybilla. For the same reason, opponents can't grab as many rebounds.

Thompson is better at blocks, but then he plays a lot more C for the Kings then Aldridge does for the Blazers. More 'at the basket' opportunities for blocks. Aldridge has a higher assist percentage and a much lower turnover percentage.

I'd rate Aldridge as the better player, but it's not a large margin
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#25 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Smills91 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Kosar86 wrote:Aldrige may be the most overrated player in the league....is there a worse defensive starting PF? then throw in some average rebounding....

Are you kidding me? Aldridge is a really good defender. Not just average, but good. Didn't someone just post a big thing about how underrated he is? I think it may have been on the Blazer board.

He's not Duncan or Garnett, but he's FAR from the worst, he's above the median, IMO.

Yeah, man, not sure what games you're watching but Aldridge is definitely a sub-par defender. Thompson's defense is good if he could stay out of foul trouble.

Aldrigde is a better scorer and it's pretty close IMO. Thompson is a superior rebounder and defender(when able to play).

I'm watching the trailblazers, and apparently I'm the only non Blazer fan that does, judging by how this forum evaluates guys like Aldridge, Oden, Rudy, etc.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#26 » by Agenda42 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Smills91 wrote:Yeah, man, not sure what games you're watching but Aldridge is definitely a sub-par defender.

I don't know where you get this idea. Aldridge is significantly above the average PF on defense.
SVThawk
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by SVThawk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 am

Wizenheimer wrote:Thompson is a better rebounder then Aldridge statistically, although the discrepancy isn't as wide as some are making out.

Thompson's rebounding percentage is 15.4% compared to Aldridge's 13.5%. However, Aldridge does better on the defensive glass then Thompson, 19.5% vs 18.8%. Thompson has a big edge on the offensive glass, thus his overall advantage. That can be due to a lot of factors besides innate ability.

But then Thompson doesn't have the statistical disadvantage of having played alongside two of the best rebounders in the league like Aldridge has in Oden & Przybilla. Those two have tended to gobble up rebounds at a prodigious rate. Spencer Hawes is not in their class...not even close.

As far as defense, I'd say Aldridge is better. The numbers tend to support that as well. Now, Thompson plays a lot of C while Aldridge does not, so sometimes the comparisons are skewed a bit by something like that.

Aldridge has a significantly better defensive rating then Thompson, 104 vs 111. Aldridge also has better a defensive win share number.

Now, the Kings play at a higher pace then Portland so those per48 numbers would adjust a little in Thompson's favor, but not enough to make a significant difference. And the differential in PER and eFG is a pretty significant advantage for Aldridge

It's also worth noting the large differential in opponent rebounds. Some of that could be due to Aldridge being better at blocking out, but it also supports the contention that Aldridge's rebounding numbers are depressed compared to Thompson's because of the presence of Oden and Przybilla. For the same reason, opponents can't grab as many rebounds.

Thompson is better at blocks, but then he plays a lot more C for the Kings then Aldridge does for the Blazers. More 'at the basket' opportunities for blocks. Aldridge has a higher assist percentage and a much lower turnover percentage.

I'd rate Aldridge as the better player, but it's not a large margin

Pretty solid write-up.. You took quite a few things into account that most others don't.

Here is how I look at it:
Post/Paint scoring: LMA
Mid-Range: JT
Rebounding: JT slightly
Defense: LMA slightly
Blocks: Equal
Playing Smarter: LMA (JT gets out of control mentally at times still which affects his fouls and decision making).
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#28 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:28 am

I love JT but I think Aldridge is the better of the two
whatchaknow
Analyst

Post#29 » by whatchaknow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 am

SVThawk wrote:
Pretty solid write-up.. You took quite a few things into account that most others don't.

Here is how I look at it:
Post/Paint scoring: LMA
Mid-Range: JT
Rebounding: JT slightly
Defense: LMA slightly
Blocks: Equal
Playing Smarter: LMA (JT gets out of control mentally at times still which affects his fouls and decision making).

The only thing i would say is that i would have Lamarcus over almost every PF in the Mid-Range category. I havent seen a whole lot of Thompson but from what i have seen his jumper is not near Aldridge's. I would also give Thompson the inside scoring edge. Also i guess a lot depends on if you consider LA's fadeaway in the low post a mid-range, like i would, or a post up move.
_SRV_
Analyst

Post#30 » by _SRV_ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:59 am

Aldrige is the better player right now, Thompson needs to prove more consistency and solve his foul problem. None of them is a good post defender, physical big men have their way with JT, but with JT (and the hustle of other forwards), the Kings' lane is no longer layup drill, LMA has the better mid range shot, but JT's awkward hook shots in the post are effective and his jumpshot is very good for a big man, Thompson's rebounding edge is affected by the lack of dominant rebounder at the C on the Kings, I'll call them equal there.

In terms of talent, potential and even physique they are very similar players, JT's erratic play and fouling issues set him behind a little bit.

Aldrige plays with 2 great defensive Cs, Portland's defense is much better because of that and it goes across the board for all players.
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Kobe gets bailed out more than Wall Street.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#31 » by britblazerdude » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:14 am

You gotta be crazy to take Thompson. People underrate how good LMA is. IMO he's on the brink of becoming an allstar. He's taken over many games in a similar fashion to Brandon Roy or any superstar in this league.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#32 » by SadKingsFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:47 pm

britblazerdude wrote:You gotta be crazy to take Thompson. People underrate how good LMA is. IMO he's on the brink of becoming an allstar. He's taken over many games in a similar fashion to Brandon Roy or any superstar in this league.

I would take Aldridge over Thompson as well...as a kings fan. But dont you think you're going a little too far with that statement? :lol: @ LA having ANY chance at being an all star...clearly you're joking, he isn't even on the 'brink' as you put it.
whatchaknow
Analyst

Post#33 » by whatchaknow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:50 pm

SadKingsFan wrote:
britblazerdude wrote:You gotta be crazy to take Thompson. People underrate how good LMA is. IMO he's on the brink of becoming an allstar. He's taken over many games in a similar fashion to Brandon Roy or any superstar in this league.

I would take Aldridge over Thompson as well...as a kings fan. But dont you think you're going a little too far with that statement? :lol: @ LA having ANY chance at being an all star...clearly you're joking, he isn't even on the 'brink' as you put it.

Well seing that David West has made it the last 2 years and Aldridge is a better player than West i think he was on the brink. The thing that will hold Aldridge back is that he is always a slow starter.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#34 » by Agenda42 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:10 am

SadKingsFan wrote:

Hey, 16 and 7 on mediocre %s usually gets you in when you're on a mediocre team, right? No, it doesn't?

Well, that's sad for LA.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#35 » by Smills91 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:59 am

SadKingsFan wrote:

I dunno man, JT's play of late is closing the gap incredibly fast and he's only in his 2nd year. He may very well be better than LMA when both players hit their primes. It's a good comparison though.

Return to Player Comparisons