Potential, jumpshot,

Could be a upcoming star.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Re: DeRozan Versus Harden 

Post#62 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 2, 2010 2:24 am

BigSlam wrote:
Choker wrote:Though you said that it's like asking if you like Outlaw more than Johnson. Harden is a better player than DeRozan but they're also MUCH MUCH MUCH closer than Outlaw and Johnson.

I disagree. I don't see them being MUCH MUCH MUCH closer at all.

That is just an opinion though.

Harden is just that much better than DeRozan - basketball skill/IQ wise and physically as well (although the physical comparison is closer than the basketball skill/IQ part). About the only thing that DeRozan has on Harden is that DeRozan is taller - and even then it's only by about an inch and a quarter.

This is a fact.

Harden is definitely not better than Derozan physically. I really don't see where you're getting this from. Considering Harden's polish in ballhandling, 3 point shooting, and passing, if he was as athletic as Derozan he'd be in the running for ROY right now rather than having a 9ppg season on .526 TS%. According to 82 games he is one of the worst inside finishers in the league, having a .356 eFG from "Close". On the perimeter he is pretty good at penetrating in a Brandon Roy muscle you out kind of way, but he certainly doesn't have the explosiveness edge Derozan has.

Harden is a much more polished player right now, but he does not have the athletic tools Demar has. And I really don't get the Outlaw comparison considering he's a 6'8 SF/PF who's also a dolt. Demar is a prototypical 6'5 SG and he should have 3 point range by next year, he's already hitting them at just inside the 3 point line. Derozan likely won't be the player Harden is with the ball in his hands, but he's showing signs of playing terrific off the ball player, and I disagree about the basketball IQ difference between the two. Derozan's bball sense is very good right now

With that being said I would take Harden of the two. But it's not lopsided at all.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#63 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 2, 2010 2:33 am

This might sound crazy, but... I would take both these players over Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings. Tyreke screams ball dominant/good stats bad team/me first guy to me, and Jennings was a flash in the pan.

Derozan and Harden both have outstanding characters and are team guys, and both have great work ethics... I value that for building a winning organization. I don't doubt either of these guys will commit themselves to reaching their potential and will sacrifice if needed to win. I don't know if I can say that last part about Evans who's looking more and more like the borne black hole and loser he was in high school and college
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#64 » by slick_watts » Tue Feb 2, 2010 2:53 am

James Harden needs a mid range game. As Mufasa says.. he's not successful finishing at the rim. He creates a lot of space with his arms / weaving through picks but wastes it by bull rushing into the lane trying to create contact. He needs a mid range game to keep defenders honest.. a step back jumper kind of like what Paul Pierce does would make him much more effective IMO.
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#65 » by BlackIce » Tue Feb 2, 2010 3:15 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:This might sound crazy, but... I would take both these players over Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings. Tyreke screams ball dominant/good stats bad team/me first guy to me, and Jennings was a flash in the pan.

Derozan and Harden both have outstanding characters and are team guys, and both have great work ethics... I value that for building a winning organization. I don't doubt either of these guys will commit themselves to reaching their potential and will sacrifice if needed to win. I don't know if I can say that last part about Evans who's looking more and more like the borne black hole and loser he was in high school and college

Come on now... :roll:
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#66 » by Joel Embust » Wed Feb 3, 2010 10:38 am

Harden can create his own shot, create for his teammates, knock down threes, play decent defense, attack the basket.

He has the tools to become a 18/5/5 + steals/threes type of player on a winning team.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#67 » by eslr » Wed Feb 3, 2010 11:15 am

In Harden I see the potential for a poor mans Brandon Roy. In Derozan I see potential for a poor mans JRich or a rich mans DMase. I think I'd go with Harden.
THROWBACK_91
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#68 » by THROWBACK_91 » Wed Feb 3, 2010 11:39 am

Harden fits in with OKC so hes not going to avrg 15 points this season but i see the manu role in him. 5 years down the road i can see him being a major x factor for the thunder
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#69 » by Lionel Messi » Thu Feb 4, 2010 9:50 pm

Put this in your sig, or bookmark it or whatever, but i guarantee DeRozan will be a budding star by the age of 23.

I like Harden though, but i haven't watched enough of his NBA career to judge him properly.

Return to Player Comparisons