Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Hawks Offseason Thread -- Summer 2024 

Post#101 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 13, 2024 4:48 am

Hawks are a team like the Pels who haven’t gotten a ton of success or love, and I root for you guys. We can’t be friends in football, but we can here :D

Love that you guys get a ticket that offers a ton of flexibility. Basically gives you the ability to field offers and if you get a god father offer for certain assets (be it #1, or for Trae) you can kind of go from there and let that dictate your direction from a super strong starting point.

But I’d love to have Trae from y’all. :lol:

Congrats!
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Post#102 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:54 am

Hawks get the 2nd overall pick and a 2025 pick

Wizards get the 4th pick and Devin Vassell

Spurs gets Trae
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 534

Post#103 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 pm

So, I think we can make a few assumptions:

1) DJM is getting traded (unless the Spurs want Trae)
2) Sarr is the pick
3) One of the centers need to be traded ASAP

Knowing that the Hawks are about to invest heavily in Jalen, I do wonder if OO will be the big they choose to trade. He'll have more value than Capela, who can mentor Sarr for a year.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 219

Post#104 » by QMemphis » Mon May 13, 2024 10:51 pm

raleigh wrote:So, I think we can make a few assumptions:

2) Sarr is the pick

Knowing that the Hawks are about to invest heavily in Jalen, I do wonder if OO will be the big they choose to trade. He'll have more value than Capela, who can mentor Sarr for a year.

How you Hawks fans feel about
Pick 9/Konchar/Ziaire for Onyeka Okongwu
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#105 » by dms269 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:10 pm

QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

Atlanta would need to be love with someone at 9. I don't see the point in trading for another rookie when you need to win games now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,003

Post#106 » by jayu70 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:13 pm

QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

I think the Hawks would prefer to move Capela.
Not sure another pick in this draft is the way to go if the intention is to win contrary to popular opinion regarding 'rebuilding'
QMemphis
Junior

Post#107 » by QMemphis » Mon May 13, 2024 11:28 pm

dms269 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

Atlanta would need to be love with someone at 9. I don't see the point in trading for another rookie when you need to win games now.

jayu70 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

Not sure another pick in this draft is the way to go if the intention is to win contrary to popular opinion regarding 'rebuilding'

Are you guys actually trying to win if you are trading Trae Young especially if the Spurs return your picks. You guys could go into the draft with 1,4 and 9.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,003

Post#108 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon May 13, 2024 11:29 pm

QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

If Sarr is the pick, then keeping OO is the smart play.
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#109 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 pm

QMemphis wrote:Are you guys actually trying to win if you are trading Trae Young especially if the Spurs return your picks. You guys could go into the draft with 1,4 and 9.

If they trade Young, it's to completely rebuild. That means having control over the 2025-2027 picks.

Otherwise, I think the Hawks are trying to compete with Young, so they'll trade Murray instead.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,003

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:33 pm

raleigh wrote:
QMemphis wrote:Are you guys actually trying to win if you are trading Trae Young especially if the Spurs return your picks. You guys could go into the draft with 1,4 and 9.

If they trade Young, it's to completely rebuild. That means having control over the 2025-2027 picks.

Otherwise, I think the Hawks are trying to compete with Young, so they'll trade Murray instead.

This^
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#111 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 11:34 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:If Sarr is the pick, then keeping OO is the smart play.

I'm not so convinced (and I like OO a lot).

There's a lot of unknowns -- how good is Sarr? how ready is he to be the starting 5? how many minutes can you carve out here & there for OO at the 4? how willing is OO to remain a backup indefinitely?

Keep in mind that Sarr is gonna be making nearly $60M total over the next four years, while JJ is likely to get a $150M extension soon. Having a backup 5 making ~$15M per season may be a luxury the Hawks decide they can't afford.

EDIT: Just want to add that my personal plan would be to trade CC this season and then re-evaluate on OO in 2025. In other words, I would kick the can down the road one year until JJ's extension actually kicks in.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,441

Post#112 » by CP War Hawks » Mon May 13, 2024 11:34 pm

QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

Hawks generally are still high on OO. His salary makes it that he can still be the backup if/when Sarr takes the next step.

If Sarr can extend his range the two can play with each other so I personally don't see them trading OO unless it totally favors them.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#113 » by QMemphis » Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

2) Sarr is the pick

Hawks generally are still high on OO. His salary makes it that he can still be the backup if/when Sarr takes the next step.

If Sarr can extend his range the two can play with each other so I personally don't see them trading OO unless it totally favors them.

You think OO is okay with coming off the bench to a rookie after sitting on the bench the past 4 years behind Capela. Also you still have to move Capela and are you sure JJ can play the 3 because it looks like his game was best as the 4.
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#114 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 pm

QMemphis wrote:You think OO is okay with coming off the bench to a rookie after sitting on the bench the past 4 years behind Capela.

Forgive me for speaking for CP, but we really don't know. OO did sign that MLE-ish deal, so he had to know it was a possibility that he could be capped around 28mpg.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,003

Post#115 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon May 13, 2024 11:49 pm

raleigh wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:If Sarr is the pick, then keeping OO is the smart play.

I'm not so convinced (and I like OO a lot).

There's a lot of unknowns -- how good is Sarr? how ready is he to be the starting 5? how many minutes can you carve out here & there for OO at the 4? how willing is OO to remain a backup indefinitely?

Keep in mind that Sarr is gonna be making nearly $60M total over the next four years, while JJ is likely to get a $150M extension soon. Having a backup 5 making ~$15M per season may be a luxury the Hawks decide they can't afford.

Neither would be the backup. They would both start. So Sarr doesn't necessarily have to be "ready" to be a starting 5. Which also means, you don't have to carve out minutes for OO as a 4. The money portion is irrelevant for many reasons, but most importantly, 15M is practically MLE money.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#116 » by dms269 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:51 pm

QMemphis wrote:
dms269 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

jayu70 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Are you guys actually trying to win if you are trading Trae Young especially if the Spurs return your picks. You guys could go into the draft with 1,4 and 9.
1. I don't see us moving Trae Young.
2. If OO was being moved I see it being more for future draft capital.

The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#117 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 11:55 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Neither would be the backup. They would both start.

That will 100% not happen.

JJ is a modern 4 and Sarr is a modern 5. There may be moments when you can have OO join them on the floor, but they will be few and far between.

The money portion is irrelevant for many reasons

I know you're not new to the Hawks, so I'm gonna move on from this particular comment by assuming you're arguing just to argue. On top of that, all teams have to factor in the new apron rules.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#118 » by QMemphis » Mon May 13, 2024 11:56 pm

dms269 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
dms269 wrote:Atlanta would need to be love with someone at 9. I don't see the point in trading for another rookie when you need to win games now.

jayu70 wrote:I think the Hawks would prefer to move Capela.

1. I don't see us moving Trae Young.
2. If OO was being moved I see it being more for future draft capital.

I figured #9 is good value for him if you guys are rebuilding but if not then no need to trade him.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,441

Post#119 » by CP War Hawks » Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 am

raleigh wrote:
QMemphis wrote:You think OO is okay with coming off the bench to a rookie after sitting on the bench the past 4 years behind Capela.

Forgive me for speaking for CP, but we really don't know. OO did sign that MLE-ish deal, so he had to know it was a possibility that he could be capped around 28mpg.

That and also the Mem guy doesn't get is that OO can be a bit foul and injury prone. Just one of each is not much of an issue but when you combine the two it becomes more prevalent.

So those things limit his ability to play 35+ consistently. Nobody expects a 19y 7 footer to be logging heavy minutes. I'd expect him to play a similar role minutes wise to Lively until he can take the next step which is likely two years from now.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#120 » by QMemphis » Tue May 14, 2024 1:08 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
raleigh wrote:

That and also the Mem guy doesn't get is that OO can be a bit foul and injury prone. Just one of each is not much of an issue but when you combine the two it becomes more prevalent.

So those things limit his ability to play 35+ consistently. Nobody expects a 19y 7 footer to be logging heavy minutes. I'd expect him to play a similar role minutes wise to Lively until he can take the next step which is likely two years from now.

I understand OO comes with risk. What big nowadays doesn’t, he is a 5/4 that I feels can fit well with Jaren longterm. Like I said if you guys do trade Trae I think it’s good move both sides. Part of OO value is his contract, we would only play him 25-30 minutes as well.

Return to Atlanta Hawks