Berkeley police hold troubled star on outstanding warrants

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published on: 01/06/08

Berkely, Calif.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#2 » by Rip2137 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:18 pm

Worse trade in team history. I know people will want to talk about the dominique trade, but trading for rider was so incredibly stupid, I don't remember anyone actually thinking it was a good idea, and destroyed the team.

Actually...its a tie. Trading Mookie Blaylock(our starting point guard) for Bimbo Coles(golden states third string point guard at the time) edges this out slightly, but they came at the same time and were just plain horrific trades.

Say what you want about Billy, even he wouldn't have made those trades.
delanceyj
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by delanceyj » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:35 pm

Rip2137 wrote:Worse trade in team history. I know people will want to talk about the dominique trade, but trading for rider was so incredibly stupid, I don't remember anyone actually thinking it was a good idea, and destroyed the team.

Actually...its a tie. Trading Mookie Blaylock(our starting point guard) for Bimbo Coles(golden states third string point guard at the time) edges this out slightly, but they came at the same time and were just plain horrific trades.

Say what you want about Billy, even he wouldn't have made those trades.

The Mookie trade also involved the #10 pick of the draft which got us Jason Terry.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#4 » by Rip2137 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:57 pm

That changes nothing for me. Horrible horrible trade. There was no reason to sacrafice that hawks team.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#5 » by JoshB914 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:32 pm

The J.R. Rider trade is what ruined the Hawks and is why our team has been so bad for so long. End of story.
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#6 » by LL Cool Scott » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:55 pm

Rip2137 wrote:...

That changes nothing for me. Horrible horrible trade. There was no reason to sacrafice that hawks team.

I didn't like the trade either and Mookie was probably one of my favorite Hawks player ever (next to 'Nique and Snoop Graham). But we did get the #10 pick and Mookie was basically arthritic at the time. Plus, that team was over. It had already reached it's ceiling - do you remember how thoroughly we got run out of the gym by the Knicks that Spring?

On another note - doesn't this story come out every 6 months. When's the last time J.R. went an entire calendar year withOUT getting locked up?
FCNATL85
Starter
And1: 12

Post#7 » by FCNATL85 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:44 am

JoshB914 wrote:The J.R. Rider trade is what ruined the Hawks and is why our team has been so bad for so long. End of story.

True. We did not get enough return for Smitty and Mookie but we probably rode those horses a bit too long...
evildallas
General Manager

Post#8 » by evildallas » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:36 am

2 things:

The Rider trade stopped me from going to Hawks games from the point it occurred until when we drafted Josh Smith. That's what got me back.

and

This story shocked me . . . I thought for sure that Rider would have already been serving hard time and was amazed that he was available for arresting.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#9 » by Rip2137 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:36 pm

LL Cool Scott wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I didn't like the trade either and Mookie was probably one of my favorite Hawks player ever (next to 'Nique and Snoop Graham). But we did get the #10 pick and Mookie was basically arthritic at the time. Plus, that team was over. It had already reached it's ceiling - do you remember how thoroughly we got run out of the gym by the Knicks that Spring?

On another note - doesn't this story come out every 6 months. When's the last time J.R. went an entire calendar year withOUT getting locked up?

Mookie played 73 games the next year and 33 minutes per. He wasn't done yet.

Steve Smith went on to play 82 games at 32 minutes per the next year. he also wasn't done.

They were swept in the 2nd round of the playoffs the year before but that isn't time to break apart a team. Plus, it was a strike shortend year. You couldn't exactly call that a sign of the times.

There was just no reasonable reason to make those trades. Especially when the only reason they didn't get closer to a championship was that Jordan guy...who had just retired.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by conleyorbust » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:56 pm

evildallas wrote:2 things:

The Rider trade stopped me from going to Hawks games from the point it occurred until when we drafted Josh Smith. That's what got me back.

and

This story shocked me . . . I thought for sure that Rider would have already been serving hard time and was amazed that he was available for arresting.

Haha, sad but true. I was suprised by the fact that this is considered news. Why is he called "former Hawk" in the headline, he only spent one season here.

Return to Atlanta Hawks