ImageImage

Are Hawks Contenders in the East with Horford Back?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Are Hawks Contenders in the East with Horford Back? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:27 pm

CBSSports seem to think so.

Despite modest praise for our moves this off-season, the crew there seems to expect big things for our club with the return of our All-Star big man (and best player?)
In reality, they had largely established themselves as the third-best team in the East, right up until the night before, towards the end of a win over Cleveland. That's when Al Horford was injured.

But Horford's talent not only as the Hawks' best overall player, but specifically within the Hawks' offensive system, will have dramatic effects. Atlanta could very well return to where they were before that unfortunate injury...Horford's return may make the Hawks a legitimate contender in the East.

Though I don't agree with a lot of it, the article is a good read on the impact Horford was having before the injury. It reinforces to me that he is indeed our best player, a top 20 talent and should have the team built around him (or be moved for value.)

Horford averaged 18.6 points, 8.4 rebounds, 2.6 assists, and 1.5 blocks in the 29 games he played or Atlanta, shooting a career-high 57 percent from the field, and had career highs in PER, effective field goal percentage (he shot and made a handful of threes), block percentage, and usage rate (he took on a bigger load of the offense while remaining efficient).

Thoughts?
Predictions?

Does AL's return make us a top team in the East?
Is he our most important player?
Seeing how we struggled in his absence, is re-signing him the top priority for Ferry over the next 24 months?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Are Hawks Contenders in the East with Horford Back? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:35 pm

I've been skeptical on our prospects of jumping to the top tier next season, even with Horford back. Primarily because we were barely an above .500 team with AL onboard. But the writer makes some really good points and has me slightly more optimistic right now.

I still believe we need to get a Center and move AL to PF, but this collection of players has the ability to win games this season. The real test, of course, will be the playoffs. Where's AL's production has historically been stymied. Particularly against bigger front courts.

not sure if we're contenders, but we should at least be a winning team. (Assuming AL stays healthy.)
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm

At Best- we make it to the ECF
At Worst- we get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

*If the at worst happens AND our team was generally healthy for the majority of the season then our franchise needs to hit the reset button. Trade away our players for young guys and draft picks and rebuild through the draft since ferry (or anyone else) can't bring a top player to our franchise through free agency.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#4 » by SBM » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 pm

We are 3rd in the East with Al but Ferry and the front office are not doing a good job of acquiring talent.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#5 » by simon24 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Horford's return makes the Hawks a top team if they use him like MIA does Bosh (playing away from the basket). I'd say that because he's not durable enough to try to play the traditional center role. Seeing how he tore his pectoral twice facing off against Hibbert (2012) and Varejao (2013).

No, I'd say Teague is the Hawks' most important player. His play is important for the offense. He's the only player in the starting line up that can create their own shot. If he plays aggressive driving in the paint like he's supposed to, he opens up the floor for shooters and frees up defenders on the bigs.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm

I give other teams the edge over us.
Washington being one of them.
Teams are getting better while we continue to sit on our hands. Horford sticks around for money and not because he'll really want to due to our current talent.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:23 am

HMFFL wrote:I give other teams the edge over us.
Washington being one of them.
Teams are getting better while we continue to sit on our hands. Horford sticks around for money and not because he'll really want to due to our current talent.

Agreed. It feels like every other team is reloading or rebuilding while we stand pat. Horford is right in his prime, yet we haven't brought in enough top talent or highly regarded prospect to contend now or in the future.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Basketball Insiders also ponders how good ATL can be with a healthy Horford. Mentioning him in the same breath as injured stars D-Rose, Kobe, Chris Paul and Westbrook.

Al Horford – Atlanta Hawks
The Atlanta Hawks did the improbable last year, making the postseason without the services of arguably their best all-around player in Al Horford. Horford missed 53 games last season to a torn pectoral muscle. Prior to that injury Horford was putting up monster numbers for the Hawks and was arguably one of the more productive players in the East.
As his injury created opportunity, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver all rose to the challenge. With Horford expected back and healthy, the Hawks could be significantly better this season than they were last year.
The problem is Horford has had some nagging injuries over the last three seasons that make him far from reliable.
For the Hawks to improve on last year, they will need Horford to be Horford and stay healthy. That is far from a given and could be the biggest question lingering around the Hawks when camp opens.

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-a ... 7Lxqlvy.99
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#9 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Danny "Pat" Ferry 8-)
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
CAVS ARE BACK
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#10 » by CAVS ARE BACK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:08 am

Good team but behind Cleveland/Chicago/Miami. If they would have added, a player the caliber of Deng for example, they could have been #2.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#11 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:53 pm

CAVS ARE BACK wrote:Good team but behind Cleveland/Chicago/Miami. If they would have added, a player the caliber of Deng for example, they could have been #2.

I will give you Cleveland and Chicago; however, I can't say the same for Miami. We were 2-2 against them last season. They were healthy in all 4 games while we were missing Horford in our 2 wins and Millsap in one of the losses. The other loss was an OT loss. Miami got significantly worse in the offseason while we slightly improved (majorly improved if you count the return of Horford).
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#12 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
CAVS ARE BACK wrote:Good team but behind Cleveland/Chicago/Miami. If they would have added, a player the caliber of Deng for example, they could have been #2.

I will give you Cleveland and Chicago; however, I can't say the same for Miami. We were 2-2 against them last season. They were healthy in all 4 games while we were missing Horford in our 2 wins and Millsap in one of the losses. The other loss was an OT loss. Miami got significantly worse in the offseason while we slightly improved (majorly improved if you count the return of Horford).

Who cares about 2-2.... its about overall record

Hawks were 2-2 against the Pacers last year and still only ended up with 38 wins.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:11 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Who cares about 2-2.... its about overall record

Hawks were 2-2 against the Pacers last year and still only ended up with 38 wins.

BINGO! The nets were 4-0 against Miami last season, but no one outside of Brooklyn would think the Nets were anywhere near as good as the Heat.

That just shows how desperate us Hawk fans are for validation. We get two regular season wins and suddenly think we're in the same league as the 2x defending champs who went 4 years without losing a single playoff series in the Eastern Conference.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#14 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Who cares about 2-2.... its about overall record

BINGO! The nets were 4-0 against Miami last season, but no one outside of Brooklyn would think the Nets were anywhere near as good as the Heat.

That just shows how desperate us Hawk fans are for validation. We get two regular season wins and suddenly think we're in the same league as the 2x defending champs who went 4 years without losing a single playoff series in the Eastern Conference.

I'm not desperate for anything. I feel like I know the game well and I am very confident in what this team will be able to do this season. We will see who is right soon enough.

Lebron James isn't walking through the Heat's door any more so I don't know why you are using past seasons to judge this coming season. Seems like something a desperate doom and gloomer would do.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#15 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:07 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:

Who cares about 2-2.... its about overall record

Same ole Same ole. Let's just ignore the HUGE injury factor. We will be a better team than Miami and Indy if we stay healthy this year. We would have wrecked Indy in that series if we had Horford.

Only 2 more months until the glory begins so yall get ready.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:14 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote: I don't know why you are using past seasons to judge this coming season. Seems like something a desperate doom and gloomer would do.

:o

Are you a crazy person?

ATLHawksfan21 wrote: I can't say the same for Miami. We were 2-2 against them last season. They were healthy in all 4 games while we were missing Horford in our 2 wins and Millsap in one of the losses.

I haven't issued my judgments for the coming season. But clinging to regular season wins as validation that we were almost as good as MIA last year is kind of sad.

Perspective, man. I've been following this team religiously for almost 20 years. Head-to-head regular season wins in the NBA mean next to nothing.

But yeah, 18 straight years without an NBA Title, a Conference Title or even a Division Title will make a man cynical.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#17 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote: I don't know why you are using past seasons to judge this coming season. Seems like something a desperate doom and gloomer would do.

:o

Are you a crazy person?

ATLHawksfan21 wrote: I can't say the same for Miami. We were 2-2 against them last season. They were healthy in all 4 games while we were missing Horford in our 2 wins and Millsap in one of the losses.

I haven't issued my judgments for the coming season. But clinging to regular season wins as validation that we were almost as good as MIA last year is kind of sad.

Perspective, man. I've been following this team religiously for almost 20 years. Head-to-head regular season wins in the NBA mean next to nothing.

But yeah, 18 straight years without an NBA Title, a Conference Title or even a Division Title will make a man cynical.

I love how you keep trying to force this validation issue. Always trying to make crazy arguments appear out of no where.

I basically said that I think Cleveland and Chicago have far more talent than us and we can hang with Miami and you want to try and make some big deal about it and put your usual negative spin on it. You must be a real joy to be around in person with this constant defeated negative attitude.

I'm done arguing with you about petty crap. Have fun being negative and I will stay positive. I'm just ready for the season to begin so I can watch this team reach 50+ wins.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#18 » by azuresou1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:07 pm

You really need to break the habit of cutting off people's quotes to try to fit your arguments. It is intellectually dishonest and misleading.

It's pretty clear ATLHawksfan is saying that Miami's past success doesn't mean anything because LeBron isn't on Miami anymore, and it's a fundamentally different team. He's 100% correct in this regard, and to say that Miami is automatically better than us because they had success with LeBron is flawed logic.

Jamaal you're becoming overwhelmingly negative so let's make a wager. I bet that we will finish the season both with a better regular season record than Miami, and with more playoff success (as defined by games before elimination). Loser buys winner a Hawks t-shirt. Do we have a deal?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:23 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Always trying to make crazy arguments appear out of no where.

You must be a real joy to be around in person with this constant defeated negative attitude.

Have fun being negative and I will stay positive. I'm just ready for the season to begin so I can watch this team reach 50+ wins.

Let's just say I believe in what I can see and touch. Hope and optimism are for children and those without responsibilities. As adults, we are forced to deal with cold realities on a daily basis.

Every successful person I have ever met/studied/admired...advocates true, deep, meaningful self-reflection. Analyzing your weaknesses and taking action to shore them up. It's a sign of maturity, humility and discipline to acknowledge hard truths.

If Danny Ferry shows up and says the status quo isn't good enough, tears down the team and pursues elite talent and a championship contender, why are we as fans so quick to accept the mediocrity of the unfinished product?

Hard truths aren't a bad thing. They are necessary for true improvement.

There are no sacred cows here.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:35 pm

azuresou1 wrote:You really need to break the habit of cutting off people's quotes to try to fit your arguments. It is intellectually dishonest and misleading.

:dontknow:

Mike, seriously. WHAT are you doing?

The man cites our record last year against MIA as part of the reason we'll be better than MIA next year. Then immediately questions the logic of using past seasons to judge future seasons.

I'm not manipulating his words. I'm highlighting his arguments that are literally in direct contrast to one another.

I have no idea if we'll be better than MIA or anyone else. I made no predictions in favor or against.

Sidenote: In truth, this is probably the most positive I've been in years with my posting. Seriously, I encourage you to review my comments this summer. I've been critical of Ferry. But positive about Bud, Horford, Dennis, Korver, Millsap. And I stand by all my comments.

Return to Atlanta Hawks