ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread (Part 1)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#661 » by dms269 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 am

It's starting to get a little too personal. Stop it and stick to the topic at hand.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#662 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:37 pm

parson wrote:
MaceCase wrote:
parson wrote:You get so angry whenever people disagree with you. Can't I just disagree without you spewing acid?

Don't confuse your own sensitivity with others being emotional.

. . . . .

I know your pain, parson. It's like arguing with a brick wall.

Anyway, I really wish we'd further pursued trading Josh last year when his stock was at an all-time high. I never understand GMs who wait until a player is no longer productive before they consider moving him. The way Josh is received by our home crowd and the fact he has proven he is not capable of being a #1 option, I don't think there is many way Josh finishes the season here.

I still believe Pau + Horford gives us the best front court in the East.

Otherwise, Pau expiring deal gives us a great trade chip for a desperate team.
Hey, HOU turned Kevin Martin into James Harden. I suspect we could get a similar talent with Pau's $18 million expiring contract next season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#663 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:42 pm

If Sund had acted swiftly last spring, we could have ended up with Damian Lillard this year...

But I digress.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#664 » by MaceCase » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:34 am

Oh, the logic masters unite.

What flaws could one possibly find with trading for a conditional 1st rounder with 22 games left in a season?
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#665 » by azuresou1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 am

Houston turned Kevin Martin into Harden by throwing in Jeremy Lamb and two draft picks. What sort of accumulated assets do we have in store?

Josh for Pau is horrible, doesn't make us good enough to even be a legitimate second round team, but definitely puts us in the playoffs.

Give me the Rockets package anyday.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#666 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Houston turned Kevin Martin into Harden by throwing in Jeremy Lamb and two draft picks. What sort of accumulated assets do we have in store?

Admittedly, not as many.

Pretty much just Teague, Jenkins and our two first rounders next season. (The second of which is a conditional pick from Houston.)

And it didn't take a genius to look at Josh Smith and realize he isn't a top player. That he would struggle as a #1 option. Or to look at Damian Lillard's growth in college to realize he was a special player.

You trade away a player at his highest value, not when he is struggling and falls back to earth.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#667 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:58 pm

If Dwight and Paul resign with their LA teams and we start to look like we'll go back into the pit of mediocrity with Josh, Al, Teague, and a few nice FA signings then I think we should do this.

Trade #1a: Trade Josh Smith to Houston for Montiejunas, Royce White, and Parsons, (maybe we try to get Patterson too, depends on how desperate Houston is). Royce White has Josh Smith potential, Parsons is a player I really like and a great young SF, and Montiejunas is a player everyone on this board likes. I'd also really like Patterson and I think we could get him if Houston was making a push for the playoffs

Trade #1b: If Houston doesn't want Josh Smith then we trade Smith for Gasol and flip Pau for that same Houston package.

Trade #2: Trade Al Horford to Sacramento for Demarcus Cousins/fillers. I love Al as much as anyone but if we know that we won't get Dwight or CP3 then we might as well trade Al Horford while his value is at an all time high. Demarcus Cousins has the potential to be a top 5 player in the NBA if he gets his act together and stops being so immature; Cousins has caused some problems for Sacramento in the past and has voiced his displeasure in playing in Sac town. With the right coach (Not Larry Drew, stay with me) Cousins could achieve his potential.

After we do all of this we fire Drew and hire a good coach like Jerry Sloan. We'll also have a high draft pick this year and a lotto pick next year and we'll be able to compete when Miami and LA's dynasty ends.

PG: Teague/ Lou Williams
SG: Jenkins/ Morrow (young enough to be resigned)
SF: Parsons/ White
PF: Montiejunas
C: Cousins

This along with a couple of lotto picks would be a scary lineup in a few years, especially if coached by Jerry Sloan.

Thoughts?
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#668 » by azuresou1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:And it didn't take a genius to look at Josh Smith and realize he isn't a top player. That he would struggle as a #1 option. Or to look at Damian Lillard's growth in college to realize he was a special player.

This again? You're turning into Ruhiel and his "trade Horford for Manchego & Thabeet" threads
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#669 » by LarsV8 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm

ATL Boy wrote:If Dwight and Paul resign with their LA teams and we start to look like we'll go back into the pit of mediocrity with Josh, Al, Teague, and a few nice FA signings then I think we should do this.

Trade #1a: Trade Josh Smith to Houston for Montiejunas, Royce White, and Parsons, (maybe we try to get Patterson too, depends on how desperate Houston is). Royce White has Josh Smith potential, Parsons is a player I really like and a great young SF, and Montiejunas is a player everyone on this board likes. I'd also really like Patterson and I think we could get him if Houston was making a push for the playoffs

Trade #1b: If Houston doesn't want Josh Smith then we trade Smith for Gasol and flip Pau for that same Houston package.

Thoughts?

Four prospects for an expiring contract is too much.

And we have no need for Pau anymore.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#670 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:50 pm

This again? You're turning into Ruhiel and his "trade Horford for Manchego & Thabeet" threads

I don't know what that means, but Damian Lillard is avg more points as a 3rd option than Josh Smith ever has.

Portland traded Gerald Wallace for a lottery pick last year and ended up with the (likely) Rookie of the Year.

Meanwhile, Josh is suffering through one of the worst stretches of his career. Funny how it coincides with him becoming the #1 option...
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#671 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm

LarsV8 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:If Dwight and Paul resign with their LA teams and we start to look like we'll go back into the pit of mediocrity with Josh, Al, Teague, and a few nice FA signings then I think we should do this.

Thoughts?

Four prospects for an expiring contract is too much.

And we have no need for Pau anymore.

The trade, would be made for a resigned Smith or for one of the conditions to be that Smith resigns (I don't think of this as a problems because Josh had Houston on his list of teams he wants to play for), now looking at his track record I think that Morey would trade Parsons, White, Patterson and Montiejunas for Smith (the Hawks would of course have to give a few more low end players to make the roster room match). Josh would give the Rockets a big 3 with Lin and Harden, and Morey was already willing to give up the entire farm for an expiring Dwight (Smith is no Dwight I understand but the Dwight fiasco showed that Morey really wants to win now which is what this trade would enable the Rockets to do). And none of these prospects are thought of as future superstars, with Royce White having maybe the most potential of all of them and the Rockets have already had some problems with him.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#672 » by LarsV8 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 pm

ATL Boy wrote:The trade, would be made for a resigned Smith or for one of the conditions to be that Smith resigns (I don't think of this as a problems because Josh had Houston on his list of teams he wants to play for), now looking at his track record I think that Morey would trade Parsons, White, Patterson and Montiejunas for Smith (the Hawks would of course have to give a few more low end players to make the roster room match). Josh would give the Rockets a big 3 with Lin and Harden, and Morey was already willing to give up the entire farm for an expiring Dwight (Smith is no Dwight I understand but the Dwight fiasco showed that Morey really wants to win now which is what this trade would enable the Rockets to do). And none of these prospects are thought of as future superstars, with Royce White having maybe the most potential of all of them and the Rockets have already had some problems with him.

Well, I believe if the Rockets wanted Smith, they could just go after him in the off season with their cap room. Josh Smith is an intriguing player, but I am not convinced he is a Morey type player, because his efficiency isn't all that great and he doesn't bring a particular skill that can't be found elsewhere. I think the Rockets would be much more interested in a guy like Horford rather than Smith, but thats just my guess.

I am not sure what "track record" you are refering too, but from what I have seen, Morey's track record is that he low balls the hell out of other teams. Getting Dwight and getting Smith are two very different things, I don't think they can be equated at all.

While its true that none of these guys are likely superstars, neither is Smith. Any of these guys could get to Smith's level of production. For instance, Chandler Parsons has nearly identical numbers as Smith right now at 1/12th the cost.

Trading 4 of our best prospects for one player, just doesn't make sense.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#673 » by ATL Boy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:50 am

LarsV8 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:The trade, would be made for a resigned Smith or for one of the conditions to be that Smith resigns (I don't think of this as a problems because Josh had Houston on his list of teams he wants to play for), now looking at his track record I think that Morey would trade Parsons, White, Patterson and Montiejunas for Smith (the Hawks would of course have to give a few more low end players to make the roster room match). Josh would give the Rockets a big 3 with Lin and Harden, and Morey was already willing to give up the entire farm for an expiring Dwight (Smith is no Dwight I understand but the Dwight fiasco showed that Morey really wants to win now which is what this trade would enable the Rockets to do). And none of these prospects are thought of as future superstars, with Royce White having maybe the most potential of all of them and the Rockets have already had some problems with him.

Well, I believe if the Rockets wanted Smith, they could just go after him in the off season with their cap room. Josh Smith is an intriguing player, but I am not convinced he is a Morey type player, because his efficiency isn't all that great and he doesn't bring a particular skill that can't be found elsewhere. I think the Rockets would be much more interested in a guy like Horford rather than Smith, but thats just my guess.

I am not sure what "track record" you are refering too, but from what I have seen, Morey's track record is that he low balls the hell out of other teams. Getting Dwight and getting Smith are two very different things, I don't think they can be equated at all.

While its true that none of these guys are likely superstars, neither is Smith. Any of these guys could get to Smith's level of production. For instance, Chandler Parsons has nearly identical numbers as Smith right now at 1/12th the cost.

Trading 4 of our best prospects for one player, just doesn't make sense.

You won't get Josh Smith in Free Agency, I'll tell you that right now, he's happy in Atlanta and will resign with us; but yes the Rockets have tried to go into win now mode a couple of times Dwight being the latest attempt, they also traded for Pau Gasol last season but that trade was nullified by David Stern for "basketball reasons." Dwight Howard and Josh Smith can be equated because Morey was willing to give up the farm for an expiring Dwight showing some desperation to win now. Smith doesn't have one standout skill like you said but he has many above average skills like help defense, passing, finishing at the rim, he has a mid range shot, and he's one of the best in transition; he'd be a very good player in the Houston system as he can do a bit of everything, he's not a very good first option but he's a very good 2nd or 3rd option. You say that Smith isn't a superstar, that's true but he's a sure thing; Patterson, Montiejunas, Parsons, and White aren't sure things. And I discount your argument of how Parsons' production is as good as Smith's because we're only 9 games into the season and Smith has been hurt for a period of time.

LarsV8
General Manager

Post#674 » by LarsV8 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 am

You won't get Josh Smith in Free Agency, I'll tell you that right now, he's happy in Atlanta and will resign with us;

Don't know. Not sure where Josh Smith is at or where his priorities are. All I know is we have cap space so the option is there for him if he wants to be here.

but yes the Rockets have tried to go into win now mode a couple of times Dwight being the latest attempt, they also traded for Pau Gasol last season but that trade was nullified by David Stern for "basketball reasons." Dwight Howard and Josh Smith can be equated because Morey was willing to give up the farm for an expiring Dwight showing some desperation to win now.

The Rockets went after Gasol because they had Nene ready to sign and thought a Lowry/Gasol/Nene big three was good enough to get it done.

The Rockets made a lowball offer for Dwight because they would of gotten his bird rights and were willing to bet that he wouldn't walk away from the "bird" max to go to Dallas or Atlanta. Having Smiths bird rights is not the same thing because he is not a max player.

Neither trade had us giving up the farm. So no, those two situations are completely different.

Smith doesn't have one standout skill like you said but he has many above average skills like help defense, passing, finishing at the rim, he has a mid range shot, and he's one of the best in transition; he'd be a very good player in the Houston system as he can do a bit of everything, he's not a very good first option but he's a very good 2nd or 3rd option.

Smith is a good playerr and I would absolutely take him on my team, but he not worth giving up the farm for.

You say that Smith isn't a superstar, that's true but he's a sure thing; Patterson, Montiejunas, Parsons, and White aren't sure things. And I discount your argument of how Parsons' production is as good as Smith's because we're only 9 games into the season and Smith has been hurt for a period of time.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#675 » by ATL Boy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:03 am

You say that Smith isn't a superstar, that's true but he's a sure thing; Patterson, Montiejunas, Parsons, and White aren't sure things. And I discount your argument of how Parsons' production is as good as Smith's because we're only 9 games into the season and Smith has been hurt for a period of time.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.[/quote]
We'll agree to disagree on the trade then

Amerissexy
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#676 » by Amerissexy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:45 am

Yeah trading away Josh for that trash is prbably the dumbest thing we could possibly do but what we should do is trade for Enes Kanter! Give the Jazz like two first and devin harris? Sounds just fine to me
Amerissexy
Banned User
And1: 0

Atlanta Hawks Unofficial Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#677 » by Amerissexy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:16 am

Post some trade ideas YOU feel like are good enough for teams to make ! Why not?
GrimeyKidd
Junior
And1: 4

Re: Atlanta Hawks Unofficial Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#678 » by GrimeyKidd » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 am

anything with anthony tolliver
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#679 » by ATL Boy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:05 am

Amerissexy wrote:Yeah trading away Josh for that trash is prbably the dumbest thing we could possibly do but what we should do is trade for Enes Kanter! Give the Jazz like two first and devin harris? Sounds just fine to me

Post this on the Utah board and see what the reaction would be

parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#680 » by parson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Hope y'all have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

I posted an offer of 3 1sts a while back, first they panned it, then they started saying it might work. Now, some of them are calling him a bust.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1202489
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")

Return to Atlanta Hawks