ImageImage

Josh's Problem with Authority

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: Josh's Problem with Authority 

Post#41 » by azuresou1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Josh's takes shots that realistically would equate to LeBron or Kobe jacking up 35 footers.

Last year he took 6.3 shots from 16-23 feet (right inside the 3pt line), more than anyone not named Kobe or Monta Ellis, despite making only 37% of them. This year, he's "only" taking 4.6 of them (goof for 15th), but he's now shooting 24% on those. For comparison, the league average is 37.5% and LeBron is shooting 42% on the same # of shots.

Not saying that we should dump him for negative value, but I'd be fine with letting him walk for nothing this offseason rather than max him out, and I'd love for us to trade him for some assets.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#42 » by PandaKidd » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Rip2137 wrote:Kris Humphries is 12 million a year, and isn't half the defender.

Thanks for pointing out what I already said.

But more than that, this thread is full of stat sheet watchers.

I sit in section 113 every home game, come sit next to me, i dont have a stat sheet in front of me. :D I watch almost EVERY game unless I am out of town because im at philips every night they play. I support the team. I like josh smith, ive stated that. But, he has a HUGE downside that more often than not shows.

I see Josh moaning and complaining and whining more than i see him dictating and hustling. Korver and Lou Williams see to know where people are supposed to be more than Josh Smith. Did you go to the Season Tip off event this year for season ticket holders?

Who was the 1 guy who wasnt doing the team workout,stretching, or activities? Ill give you a guess.............Josh Smith.

I see too many signs that he just isnt happy. I mean lets be honest hes had 2 good games this year. The rest have been pretty mediocre. Ive stated ill give him a full 20 games before i make a REAL assessment, but so far i dont see anything earth shattering besides his performance last night.

You all avoid the questions.

IS JOSH WORTH A MAX CONTRACT, IS HE OUR FRANCHISE PLAYER? Ive seen enough to say NO, he is not that for us. We have a history of paying the WRONG players too much money
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#43 » by Rip2137 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 am

WOW there is a lot of snark in THAT comment.

Well first there buddy, the only reason anyone is mentioning Kris Humphries is because YOU said you could replaces Josh's production with him cheap. My point is that A: he ain't cheap and B: you can't replace what Josh does with Kris Humphries.

So I am at a lost at how "Kris Humphries = Cheap replacement for Josh with same production" is the same as what I said, but whatever. I guess now that multiple people have pointed out you see how wrong it was and are just trying to save face.

2 good games for Smith this year? Really? You don't think that a bit of a reach? But no matter.

Lets be real here. Josh is top ten in every statistical category for his position except rebounding which is skewed by the games where he plays SF (those game he is averaging below 5 boards a game, he is near double digits in games he starts at the 4). He is first in steals, 3rd in blocks, 8-9 in scoring, first in assist, tied for 4th in double doubles and 6-7 when starting at the 4 in rebounding. I know, we should ignore this because he takes bad jumpers sometimes. But I repeat. Top 10. Every category. Top 5 in 4 catagories.

And he is off to a slow start with these numbers.

So are you asking me if a guy in the top 10 of every statistical category for his postion worth getting paid like a top 10 guy at his position in the league.

I am of the "there are 4-5 guys that deserve max contracts in the NBA" type of person. In that way of thinking, no, he isn't. In the "Kris Humphries makes 12 mil a year and David Lee has a max contract" kind of way, then yes.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#44 » by PandaKidd » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 am

wont explain myself any further, and was not intending to be snarky. Missing my point about humphries, but i agree with your last paragraph.

Fair enough
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:28 am

He is first in steals, 3rd in blocks, 8-9 in scoring, first in assist, tied for 4th in double doubles and 6-7 when starting at the 4 in rebounding. I know, we should ignore this because he takes bad jumpers sometimes. But I repeat. Top 10. Every category. Top 5 in 4 catagories.

Josh is a headcase.

I don't understand how a guy who avg 15 & 7 can earn such devout loyalty. Especially when he takes plays off, pouts, whines all the time. Don't forget his poor FG% or high turnover rate.

He's not even the best PF on his own team.

I'd take Asik, Varejao, Noah or Ibaka over Josh any day.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#46 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
He is first in steals, 3rd in blocks, 8-9 in scoring, first in assist, tied for 4th in double doubles and 6-7 when starting at the 4 in rebounding. I know, we should ignore this because he takes bad jumpers sometimes. But I repeat. Top 10. Every category. Top 5 in 4 catagories.

Josh is a headcase.

I don't understand how a guy who avg 15 & 7 can earn such devout loyalty. Especially when he takes plays off, pouts, whines all the time. Don't forget his poor FG% or high turnover rate.

And we would looking at a lottery team instead of a 9-4 playoff team..
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#47 » by Maf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Josh is a headcase.

You take Asik, Varejao and Noah over Smith to play PF? Nah, won't work, sorry.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Josh is a headcase.

And we would looking at a lottery team instead of a 9-4 playoff team..

You honestly beleve no other player or combination of players in the whole world can add up to the 15 points, 7 rebs and 2 blks that Josh sometime gives us?

We traded our top scorer and wing defender 6 months ago for table scraps. Our team hasn't missed a beat.
No one player on this team is irreplaceable.

Josh is not LeBron, dude.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Maf wrote:
You take Asik, Varejao and Noah over Smith to play PF? Nah, won't work, sorry.

No, I'd take any of them to play center.

AL is a better PF than Josh.
Bigger, stronger, steadier.
Shoots better, has fewer turnovers, rebounds more.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#50 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:34 pm

With your permission, UGA...

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Josh Smith and an unnamed assistant coach for the Los Angeles Clippers engaged in an obscenity-laced argument on Sunday while the media were waiting for Doc Rivers' postgame news conference to begin.

"It's [like any] locker room after you lose and play like that," Rivers said. "Guys are upset. That's about it."

The Clippers are now 6-7 after beginning the season 4-0.
Here

I saw this headline and was reminded of this thread made a few seasons back. Almost three years to the day.

Since then, we've seen Smoove bump heads with Drew, Dumars/Cheeks and now some assistant in LAC.

You guys see this as just a normal occurrence...only making headlines in the LA market? Perhaps a result of too many difficult personalities (like Smoove and Lance) causing tension? A lack of leadership in the Clips locker room? Or just Smoove being Smoove?

Are we now a soft team that misses players with fire?
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#51 » by dms269 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:41 pm

The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#52 » by azuresou1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:41 am

Mike Woodson happens to be an assistant coach with the Clippers.

I'd be my firstborn son that's the 'assistant coach' Josh Smith is feuding with
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:29 am

azuresou1 wrote:Mike Woodson happens to be an assistant coach with the Clippers.

I'd be my firstborn son that's the 'assistant coach' Josh Smith is feuding with

:o

:lol:

:nod:

A near certainty.
BadNFluenz
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#54 » by BadNFluenz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:09 am

isn't good ol' Mike an assistant in LA?

edit: beat me to it
__
R.I.P. 4-1-So Sick Ass Rell
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,928

Post#55 » by jayu70 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:01 pm

It's never Josh's fault. Lol once a knucklehesd always a knuckle head, I wished we had traded him along with Joe and Marv.

Woody prolly yelled at him for taking 3-3 pointers and missing all 3. Lol - same ol' Josh.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:18 pm

jayu70 wrote:It's never Josh's fault. Lol once a knucklehesd always a knuckle head, I wished we had traded him along with Joe and Marv.

Woody prolly yelled at him for taking 3-3 pointers and missing all 3. Lol - same ol' Josh.

100% agree.

If you look back to the beginning of this thread, it's mostly insults and derision for anyone who questioned Josh as the best/most important player on this team.

Even when the writing was on the wall, a significant number of fans had a difficult time acknowledging that we needed to move forward.

It's actually a shame to see what his career has fallen to since leaving the Hawks.

I wonder who got reprimanded worse...the player for verbally accosting a coach.

Or the coach for getting into an argument with a role player.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#57 » by jayu70 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:It's never Josh's fault. Lol once a knucklehesd always a knuckle head, I wished we had traded him along with Joe and Marv.

100% agree.

If you look back to the beginning of this thread, it's mostly insults and derision for anyone who questioned Josh as the best/most important player on this team.

Even when the writing was on the wall, a significant number of fans had a difficult time acknowledging that we needed to move forward.

It's actually a shame to see what his career has fallen to since leaving the Hawks.

I wonder who got reprimanded worse...the player for verbally accosting a coach.

Or the coach for getting into an argument with a role player.

I always said we would look back and say "If only Josh would..........he could have been something special." He was too entitled and coddled by the ASG - he needed a strong voice to hone his talents. He just never got IT.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#58 » by Yungsta404 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:28 pm

I hate the "If" arguments. You could say if he had XYZ he could be "special" for alot of players. The truly special players are the ones that are able to shine in environments that arent the most ideal. If a player needed every factor to be perfect for him to be a star then that player isnt really special at all.

Look at a player like Demarcus Cousins, people questioned his attitude coming into the league and he played for one of the most dysfunctional organizations in all of sports but he was still able to grow and play up to his potential as a the best center in the league.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#59 » by MaceCase » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Yungsta404 wrote:I hate the "If" arguments. You could say if he had XYZ he could be "special" for alot of players. The truly special players are the ones that are able to shine in environments that arent the most ideal. If a player needed every factor to be perfect for him to be a star then that player isnt really special at all.

I agree, I've said the same to those who've argued about "Al needs to play PF" and "Joe needs more help".
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM

Post#60 » by jayu70 » Tue Dec 8, 2015 1:39 pm

Josh is on the trade block - that didn't last long.

The Los Angeles Clippers gauged trade interest in Lance Stephenson and Josh Smith last month, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Smith was averaging career-lows in points (5.4), rebounds (4.3), field-goal percentage (.386) and minutes (15.4) through the first 20 games this season. He signed a one-year deal paying the veteran's minimum in the offseason.

The Orange County Register previously reported that Smith was involved in a loud shouting match with a Clippers assistant coach following a 90-81 loss to the Toronto Raptors on Nov. 21. The assistant in question was Mike Woodson, a source told Yahoo. Woodson coached Smith in Atlanta

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--clippers-gauged-trade-interest-for-lance-stephenson--josh-smith-035806861.html

Return to Atlanta Hawks