Official Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Re: Official Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#81 » by tcorbin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:30 am

gurpilo wrote:
tcorbin wrote:Here is an interesting question.

Mitch McGary vs Gorgui Dieng?

Zeller, Len, Adams, Plumlee, and Olynyk could all be gone by the time the Hawks make their selection.

so that leaves McGary and Dieng, or Gobert and Nogueira

both McGary and Dieng got a lot of national attention by making it to the championship game. both are not true 7 footers and both should be available to the Hawks in the middle of the first round. McGary is heavier than Dieng, but i have a suspicion that Dieng will have a higher standing reach when the combine numbers come out.

Adams ahead of both, by far.

what?
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#82 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:40 pm

He obviously didn't read the entire situation. To answer, i would take Dieng. I think Dieng can be a quality starter, but I think better players will be available at our picks. If one of Len, Olynyk, or Adams isn't there, then that means a guard who should have been picked earlier slipped to us.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#83 » by theatlfan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Another name to throw into the mix: Sergey Karasev. Not to say I'd prefer him to many of the other names here, but the more I look at him, the more he just seems like someone that Ferry would want on the team. He definitely hits the checkboxes of shooter (49% from 3 this season), b-ball IQ (son of a former player and now a high level coach), penetrator and passer (some project him as a 6'7" PG) - he'll even get in there and fight for rebounds. He's an international guy who's been on the radar for several years so Ferry would have seen a lot of him in his role as International Scouting Director with SAS.

There are definite flaws though like athleticism and length. Draftexpress doesn't have measurement but describes his length as "average" - we're not talking T-Rex arms, but he's not a Jenkins either. The other knock is that his athleticism isn't great which inhibits his defensive ability and overall upside. Even so, he's been playing at the highest level for his age group since his teenage years and the National coach did say that his D was better than he thought (which could mean many things).

Thoughts?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:51 pm

theatlfan wrote:Another name to throw into the mix: Sergey Karasev. Not to say I'd prefer him to many of the other names here, but the more I look at him, the more he just seems like someone that Ferry would want on the team. He definitely hits the checkboxes of shooter (49% from 3 this season), b-ball IQ (son of a former player and now a high level coach), penetrator and passer (some project him as a 6'7" PG) - he'll even get in there and fight for rebounds.

Thoughts?

YES! You read my mind, taf. This kid seems like a real diamond in the rough type of pick. Ferry seems like he probably prefers older, established college players in the draft. But a project with his skillset and experience cold be a real coup 3 or 4 years down the road.

I don't think he'd work out at PG, but Point Forward definitely.

This is a SAS type of pick, and there is some risk to it. But I REALLY like it. Karasev and Gobert are my ideal picks.

I think we wld need to bring Zaza back, though. To help the kid adjust to America. (Russian and Georgian connection.)
gurpilo
Junior
And1: 30

Post#85 » by gurpilo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:He obviously didn't read the entire situation. To answer, i would take Dieng. I think Dieng can be a quality starter, but I think better players will be available at our picks. If one of Len, Olynyk, or Adams isn't there, then that means a guard who should have been picked earlier slipped to us.

No, I did it, but I think Adams will ba avaiable by the time we pick and he is better than McGary or Dieng, however if I have to chose one it should be Dieng, a good defending center.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#86 » by theatlfan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:YES! You read my mind, taf. This kid seems like a real diamond in the rough type of pick. Ferry seems like he probably prefers older, established college players in the draft. But a project with his skillset and experience cold be a real coup 3 or 4 years down the road.

I don't think he'd work out at PG, but Point Forward definitely.

This is a SAS type of pick, and there is some risk to it. But I REALLY like it. Karasev and Gobert are my ideal picks.

I think we wld need to bring Zaza back, though. To help the kid adjust to America. (Russian and Georgian connection.)
I don't think he'll be a PG for us, but a wing who can penetrate and shoot would be an interesting pick. The D is a concern, but if the kid has enough b-ball IQ, then maybe he can overcome it. My biggest worry about him is his 2PT FG% which is shockingly low for a someone who is known as a penetrator.

I really don't know where I'd put him in relation to athletic Americans like Archie Goodwin and Jamal Franklin though. I'm a sucker for the upside of those 2 (if they even got a 3PT shoot...), but I do think Karasev's floor is higher - maybe much more.

As far as Zaza, I'd actually think it might make more sense to keep those 2 separated in the lockerroom. Georgia and Russia don't have good relations - there was a "war" as recently as '08. Zaza was (is?) an outspoken backer of his homeland; I don't know if Karasev is political or not.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#87 » by tcorbin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:45 am

The TT Board seems to think that the Hawks can trade up to the 10th-12th spot range in the draft? depending on how the lottery pans out.

maybe that would be good enough to get Zeller or Shabazz (or Glenn Robinson III, who i am starting to like alittle more than Shabazz now a days)
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#88 » by ATL Boy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:20 pm

This thread is really picking up steam
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:22 pm

gurpilo wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:He obviously didn't read the entire situation. To answer, i would take Dieng. I think Dieng can be a quality starter, but I think better players will be available at our picks. If one of Len, Olynyk, or Adams isn't there, then that means a guard who should have been picked earlier slipped to us.

No, I did it, but I think Adams will ba avaiable by the time we pick and he is better than McGary or Dieng, however if I have to chose one it should be Dieng, a good defending center.

But the question is if he isn't, who would you pick. McGary or Dieng? Not saying they are better, but simply if those are the only two available, who do you pick.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:25 pm

theatlfan wrote:Another name to throw into the mix: Sergey Karasev. Not to say I'd prefer him to many of the other names here, but the more I look at him, the more he just seems like someone that Ferry would want on the team. He definitely hits the checkboxes of shooter (49% from 3 this season), b-ball IQ (son of a former player and now a high level coach), penetrator and passer (some project him as a 6'7" PG) - he'll even get in there and fight for rebounds. He's an international guy who's been on the radar for several years so Ferry would have seen a lot of him in his role as International Scouting Director with SAS.

There are definite flaws though like athleticism and length. Draftexpress doesn't have measurement but describes his length as "average" - we're not talking T-Rex arms, but he's not a Jenkins either. The other knock is that his athleticism isn't great which inhibits his defensive ability and overall upside. Even so, he's been playing at the highest level for his age group since his teenage years and the National coach did say that his D was better than he thought (which could mean many things).

Thoughts?

I been keeping a check on him also. I think he will definitely be a gem in the sense of a Manu type gem that the Spurs seem to find all the time.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#91 » by theatlfan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:52 pm

tcorbin wrote:The TT Board seems to think that the Hawks can trade up to the 10th-12th spot range in the draft? depending on how the lottery pans out.

maybe that would be good enough to get Zeller or Shabazz (or Glenn Robinson III, who i am starting to like alittle more than Shabazz now a days)
Depends on who's there. I don't think I'd pull the trigger on either Zeller or Muhammad - just can't see either as being fits here. If we're making a two for one to trade up in this draft, then I'd expect that the guy we're landing would be an immediate upgrade on a starter or 6th man, and I don't see that with either as long as we bring back Smoove and Korver (or upgrade them in FA) and L Williams gets healthy.

There's still a long way to go between now and D-Day though, so a lot can change...
gurpilo
Junior
And1: 30

Post#92 » by gurpilo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Karasev could be a good player, but he has some flaws, his lack of defense, athleticism and size would not allow him to play significant minutes as a starter in the NBA, he is not a Pg, he is not the next Ginobili. He is a shooter that can penetrate but is not efficient at it but is still young and could improve a little bit. I think that there are better prospects at the wing as Robinson, Goodwin or even Caldwell-Pope.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#93 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:22 am

Thoughts on CJ McCollum? If we can trade both draft picks to get him, you guys interested?

Being compared to Damian Lillard.

He'd b a nice building block in the backcourt.

We're building a team from scratch pretty much. H'd be a good place to start.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 am

gurpilo wrote:Karasev could be a good player, but he has some flaws, his lack of defense, athleticism and size would not allow him to play significant minutes as a starter in the NBA, he is not a Pg, he is not the next Ginobili. He is a shooter that can penetrate but is not efficient at it but is still young and could improve a little bit. I think that there are better prospects at the wing as Robinson, Goodwin or even Caldwell-Pope.

Karasev does have Risk and limitations in his game. But think team fit, not individual talent.

We're trying to emulate SAS, not MIA. Karasev has a lot of versatility in his game, similar to Smoove to be honest. (Offensively.)
Reminds me of Kukoc a bit.

LAL this year is proof that a team of pure talent doesn't always mean winning. The pieces have to fit well together.

Don't just think of individual talent while ignoring how these young prospects can fit on our team in the future.

Karasev also has the benefit of having played pro ball for a few (couple?) years.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#95 » by theatlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts on CJ McCollum? If we can trade both draft picks to get him, you guys interested?

I like McCollum a lot as a prospect. My biggest problem in drafting him is the fact that between Teague, Jenkins, and L Williams (when healthy) the lion's share of our PG/combo G position seems set for at least the next 2 years and I can't imagine L Williams wanting to bolt directly thereafter. He would have taken less to stay with PHI and he did take less to come here, so he's very loyal to his team and his hometown.

If he falls to the first of our picks, I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger though, but still, I couldn't trade up for him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:44 pm

theatlfan wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts on CJ McCollum? If we can trade both draft picks to get him, you guys interested?

I like McCollum a lot as a prospect. My biggest problem in drafting him is the fact that between Teague, Jenkins, and L Williams (when healthy) the lion's share of our PG/combo G position seems set for at least the next 2 years and I can't imagine L Williams wanting to bolt directly thereafter.

If he falls to the first of our picks, I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger though, but still, I couldn't trade up for him.

Understood. And I like Teague. But since we're essentially building a team frm scratch, I can't guarantee Teague a spot should a better option become available.

No one is guaranteed a spot next year, as far as I'm concerned.
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#97 » by parson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 pm

I would be surprised if we didn't start our planning with Horford, Lou Williams and Teague in mind. Jenkins and Scott are bench mainstays, too, for next year. Why would we throw talent away - especially young talent?
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#98 » by theatlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 pm

parson wrote:I would be surprised if we didn't start our planning with Horford, Lou Williams and Teague in mind. Jenkins and Scott are bench mainstays, too, for next year. Why would we throw talent away - especially young talent?
Not sure if I'd consider Jenkins a bench player at this point - he could be a 50/40/90 guy in a year or 2 and that plays. Still, I get your point.

My thing though is that I think a healthy McCollum is a top 10 pick in this year's draft. If he falls to us @ 18/19, then I'd almost have to pull the trigger.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 am

Think I would rather have Goodwin over McCollum. The only way I would even consider McCollum is if Teague was going to get overpaid, none of the bigs I like will be available, and if he doesn't have any known issues. He's a talented guard, but Lou Will is a similar player.

Neither is really a great facilitator or natural PG. Their known for scoring, and McCollum is mostly a jump shooter. Defense is about the same. McCollum really doesn't offer much upside since he isn't a great athlete and is kind of old for a prospect. Besides McCollum being longer and taller, what really separates the 2?
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#100 » by parson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 am

theatlfan wrote:Not sure if I'd consider Jenkins a bench player at this point - he could be a 50/40/90 guy in a year or 2 and that plays.

I totally agree. The kid can shoot, of course, but what intrigues me is he can drive, dish and play a little PG. His defense is better than I feared, too.

I didn't want to say it because I thought it might just be the homer in me.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")

Return to Atlanta Hawks