ImageImage

Chandler Parsons?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Chandler Parsons? 

Post#1 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jun 4, 2014 8:33 pm

Any interest in this guy? He's a RFA who fits one of our needs (wing scoring), and we have cap space to make an offer.

Personally, I like him, but I'm not sure if what his cap is. If it's borderline All-Star like I suspect... does that make him actually worth targeting? We would then be dependent on internal development to contend.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: Chandler Parsons? 

Post#2 » by PandaKidd » Wed Jun 4, 2014 8:50 pm

Hes an interesting player that I like a lot. I think he would be great.

Teague
Carrol
Parsons
PM
AH

Would mean moving Korver to the bench most likely
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#3 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jun 4, 2014 9:08 pm

I'd rather move DMC to the bench and keep in Korver's shooting
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#4 » by PandaKidd » Wed Jun 4, 2014 9:39 pm

azuresou1 wrote:I'd rather move DMC to the bench and keep in Korver's shooting

could do that too.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#5 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jun 4, 2014 10:16 pm

I think the only reason they declined his option is too sign him long term right now, he's not leaving Houston.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 4, 2014 11:13 pm

While that team would absolutely score like crazy, they would unequivocally be the worse defending Hawks team in recent memory.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#7 » by theatlfan » Thu Jun 5, 2014 12:26 am

The one point here that I can't believe hasn't been discussed much more is what is HOU going to do with Asik. As of now, HOU has played their hand - they don't have the cap room to sign a max FA without dumping Asik and Lin; they don't have the cap room to chase a Love or LMA if they hit FA next summer. In effect, HOU now has to deal for their upgrades and as history as already proved, no one wants Asik or Lin without getting paid to take them. HOU just went from the position where they could look like they could wait out all comers to being a team that others are looking to actively dump players if they want to achieve a (stated?) goal of having 3 max players. Should be a very interesting off-season for HOU.

ATL Boy wrote:I think the only reason they declined his option is too sign him long term right now, he's not leaving Houston.
While I'm sure this is HOU's plan, it is still a very curious decision if HOU thinks he was a slam dunk resign. If they would have waited until next season, then they would have had a boatload of cap space and Parsons would have had < $2M cap hold giving them enough to offer a max deal at some of the FAs in that class (e.g., LMA, Love). Instead they let Parsons go to RFA when they have to shed both Asik and Lin to be able to offer the max. IF Love hits FA next summer, then this decision effectively takes them out of the running for his services.

Jamaaliver wrote:

While that team would absolutely score like crazy, they would unequivocally be the worse defending Hawks team in recent memory.
Not saying he's a better defender than DMC, but Parsons is a decent defender in his own right. I haven't seen many HOU games (basically the only ones I catch are when the play us and the occasional playoff game) but in the scouting reports I've seen, he's HOU's best perimeter defender after Beverly. When BK tore the team down, we had some really, really terrible defenses and I'd think those teams would easily be defensively.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#8 » by azuresou1 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 12:54 am

Parsons is average defensively. Not a stopper by any means... but average
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#9 » by hawkschop1 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 1:04 am

re-signing with Houston...

The end.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#10 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 2:18 pm

He's going to stay in Houston unless a team overpays for him big time. I would rather take my chances on DMC's development over the off-season than give Parsons a Horford type deal.

DMC is a dog and It seems like he is going to be working his ass off this off-season. We can get near the same offensive production with better defense if DMC can improve his handles during this off-season. I know that's easier said than done but I believe his work ethic plus our training staff can make this a reality.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 6, 2014 5:43 pm

After watching SAS manage to hang in there against MIA despite fielding a drastically less talented team, I'm finally on the Chandler Parsons bandwagon. Heady play and floor spacing is indeed enough to defeat almost anyone.

I don't know if we can afford him, and he still is behind Gordon Heyward on my wish list at SF this summer.

But he can ball and would definitely blossom here under Coach Bud.

Plus, the marketing opportunities...put that kid's face on a banner downtown and the ratio of female Hawks fans in town would increase exponentially.

Are there any Parson like players in this years draft? Dougie McDermott?
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#12 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jun 6, 2014 6:35 pm

McDermott more closely resembles a Korver/Wally Szcerbiak hybrid (his own assessment which I agree with) than Parsons.

Return to Atlanta Hawks