Walter Tavares coming to America

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 6, 2014 8:51 pm

Walter Tavares, one of the best 7-foot prospects in the world, is working on a contract buyout with his team in the Spanish ACB League and will travel soon to the United States to work out for several NBA teams, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Several NBA executives believe Tavares, who is 7-foot-3, has a strong chance to work himself into the first round of this month's NBA draft, and several teams choosing in the range of the 20s plan to bring him in for closer inspections, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--7 ... 54588.html
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Re: Walter Tavares coming to America 

Post#2 » by theatlfan » Sat Jun 7, 2014 12:12 am

Absolutely amazing story: He from an island (somewhere off the coast in Europe - sorry name escapes me) and he worked in his mom's convenience store. Anyway, a tourist from Germany comes into the convenience store and there's this 7' kid working the register. So the tourist chit chats with him ("How's the weather up there?" etc) and figures out that the kid is 15 and has never even heard of the sport of basketball. When he gets back home, he tells his buddy who is a scout for one of the Euro teams and the scout books a ticket out to the island immediately and signs the kid for a Spanish League team.

As far as a prospect though, I can't think that he would be any better than Bebe. Taveras is tall, coordinated and athletic for his size (and he is a mammoth), but even in his highlights he just seems to have the opposite of the "it" factor. Also, I get the feeling that he has an "island attitude" which always scares me (for Braves' fans, think Andruw Jones). I wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd, but let's just say that I'd be happy if someone else took him in the 20s.

EDIT: My bad, It's right there in the link - the island is Cape Verde. Apparently, it's off the coast of North Africa in the Atlantic and not Europe though.
FCNATL85
Starter
And1: 12

Post#3 » by FCNATL85 » Sat Jun 7, 2014 6:52 am

2nd edit:
Cape Verde, where he is from. old Portuguese colony, is West of the coast Senegal, West Africa.
Canaries Island (Spain) and were he plays are located West of the Southern Coast of Morocco (N. Africa)

Any way, intriguing prospect at best. Probably not ready before a couple of years and he is 22, high risk, medium rewards if you ask me.
Due to his size many question his durability, still very raw. Curious to know how he will pan out. Another Rudy Gobert (1' or so taller maybe). Less experience and yet Gobert still finding his way in Utah, via D League... Process might accelerate with Snyder going there BTW.
Tavares would have to be considered ONLY if we are trading one way or another to land a 20-25 pick, and even there a bit of a risk.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 am

MIA seems to be enamored with him. Making Walter one of their first prospects in for a visit following their NBA Finals loss.

Read on Twitter

I wonder if this means Oden might be available next season.

MIA needs interior defense, this guy could be a long-term solution...once he learns how to play basketball.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter

seems Walter has piqued pur interest as well. He won't fall that far, but he'd be a good value pick up in the 2nd round.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:42 am

YESS!!! 2nd round Steal
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:48 am

Project galore.

I honestly have no idea what to make of his acquisition....
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#8 » by theatlfan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:40 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Project galore.

I honestly have no idea what to make of his acquisition....
It appears that Ferry will take chances on project Cs who are long and athletic, can block shots, and hit free throws - Nogueira last year and now Tavares. Considering we're a little tight on roster spots, I don't mind throwing out a flier on someone who fits that criteria.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#9 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 am

I really wanted Nick Johnson, but since he was just one pick away, i really can't get mad at anybody and i'm really okay with Tavares.

Tavares is a big risk, but the 2nd round is a good place to take risk.

It will be fun to watch Bebe and Tavs either split time at Center in summer league or possibly see Bebe and Tavs playing together at the same time

Tavs can play in 2015, but i think Ferry could keep him overseas for a year or two.
niffoc4
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#10 » by niffoc4 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Yeah, I expect Taveras to stay in Europe for a year or two. He's not in need of increased bulk (like Nogueira), so we can let him gain experience in the ACB.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:15 am

Updating, with your permission, uga-dawg,

Tavares officially re-signs to stay in Spain:

As expected, Edy Tavares will play another season in Spain’s ACB League.
The 2014 second-round draft pick spoke at a press conference for Herbalife Gran Canaria Tuesday. After being selected with the 43rd overall pick in this year’s NBA Draft, the 7-foot-3, 260-pound Tavares played for the Hawks in the Las Vegas Summer League. In six games he averaged 6.0 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 16.8 minutes.

Edy Tavares wrote:The summer league of the NBA was a great opportunity to play against good players, I have seen how they play and how they work. The work that I was doing was little from what I’ve seen there and I have to work harder to become a better player.
HERE

I hope Tavares doesn't get Bebe syndrome and start focusing more on making it to the NBA as opposed to taking advantage of his time overseas to improve.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Actual video of Tavares playing in a game that matters. He is #22 on the yellow team. Starting at the 50 second mark, he largely takes over the highlight with dunks, rebounds and blocked shots.

I am officially excited for his acquisition. He moves very well for a big man his size. He, with more experience/training, could absolutely be the defensive anchor at Center we've lacked since the days of Mutombo & Theo Ratliff.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 am

Just an update on the kid Tavares:

11 rebounds for Herbalife Gran Canaria in an 80-61 loss to FC Barcelona in an ACB League game Sunday.
Tavares, the 7-foot-3 center, played 21:32 off the bench. He was 5 of 6 from the field.
HERE

He is definitely coming along nicely. I'm hoping to watch next week's game online if i can find a link.

but he has clearly been productive enough to warrant coming over next year, taking either Brand, Pero's or Millsap's position on the roster.

He's still a few seasons away from being experienced enough to contribute full-time. But he clearly has some natural ability.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:27 pm

Updating...with your permission UGA_Dawg.

Read on Twitter

He lacks experience and BBIQ, but his size and athleticism are impressive.

I'd be okay with him as the 15th player on our roster. Though I'd feel more comfortable if we had our own D-League affiliate he could learn at.

The way the NBDL now sends a young player to various franchises throughout the year seems to stunt development and limit advantages of being sent to the minors to learn.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#15 » by PandaKidd » Mon Apr 6, 2015 6:07 pm

So that means no more Brand/Pero (one would have to leave right?)

Unless we stashed our new #1 pick overseas again.

He would absolutely be the 3rd stringer behind AH/Pero/TAVARES

Right now Scott backs up Millsap, but , where does this leave Muscala?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 6, 2015 6:42 pm

PandaKidd wrote:So that means no more Brand/Pero (one would have to leave right?)

Unless we stashed our new #1 pick overseas again.

He would absolutely be the 3rd stringer behind AH/Pero/TAVARES

Right now Scott backs up Millsap, but , where does this leave Muscala?

My guess is that one of Daye, Mack or Muscala could be released or traded to make room if we deem Edy worthy. But I see Tavares basically serving the same role as Adreian when he was here...helping to keep the bench from flying away and occasionally being relegated to the D-league.
Hawks champs
Junior
And1: 100

Post#17 » by Hawks champs » Mon Apr 6, 2015 6:43 pm

Leaves muscala as a member of the goat third string squad. Mack Jenkins daye muscala and tavares/brand is pretty good.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#18 » by PandaKidd » Mon Apr 6, 2015 7:32 pm

IF PM is resigned then our starting front court is unchanged:
AH Center
PM PF

I would think the depth chart would look like:
Center: AH/Pero/Taveres
PF: PM/Mike Scott/ Muscala
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#19 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 7:36 pm

If Tavares comes over, he will have the same rookie season that Dennis had, alot of sitting and alot of learning.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#20 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 11:12 pm

We currently have 15 players on the roster. Brand, Daye and Jenks are out. Edy, 1st round pick and another player.

Return to Atlanta Hawks