Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Mack is Back on 3 Year Contract 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/492760998185803777[/tweet]

He's earned the right to be back with his solid play last year.

But it's such a perplexing move when we already have so much young talent at PG.

does this mean Schroeder's gone, no matter what?

does this mean Teague's still on the trading block?

I honestly don't know what Ferry is doing long term.

Thoughts?
Predictions?
Concerns?
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: Mack is Back on 3 Year Contract 

Post#2 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 pm

The money/year is right but I'm not sure I see the point in signing him to a 3 year deal.

My read is that Ferry felt like it was a good price to secure a guaranteed backup PG for the next few years. This should, in theory, give us some flexibility in what to do with both Teague & Schroeder.

It's not really an exciting deal, but I think it's a solid value signing.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/492760998185803777[/tweet]

He's earned the right to be back with his solid play last year.

But it's such a perplexing move when we already have so much young talent at PG.

does this mean Schroeder's gone, no matter what?

does this mean Teague's still on the trading block?

I honestly don't know what Ferry is doing long term.

Thoughts?
Predictions?
Concerns?

You're guess is just as good as mine..ferry is like the hardest GM in the NBA to read, make predictions, etc. Perhaps Mack or Schroeder will vastly improve their game before the trade deadline causing their trade stock to rise and then we get more value coming back if we do trade one of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#4 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm hearing team option on the 3rd year which makes this deal much better IMO.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#5 » by 2Mas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Think Ferry's gonna give the keys to Schroeder this year as backup pg & it's his spot to loose. If he's not ready, you got a more than capable backup pg in Mack & if he is, Mack is a great 3rd stringer.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:13 am

It means we have good depth at PG. Dennis is still only 20 years old and developing.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#7 » by MaceCase » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:55 am

Creates a great amount of flexibility with the PG rotation. If Schröder is still not ready then there is a solid backup in tow, if Schröder explodes then you still have a solid backup that will allow Ferry to explore trades with Jeffrey. Can't fault the deal at all, demonstrates to me that Ferry is not madly in love with either Jeffrey and especially Dennis to go all in on them and it's a very cap friendly deal.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#8 » by theatlfan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:07 am

Some thoughts:
1) This is really at the very top end of what I would have liked to pay Mack. I'm OK with it, but I wouldn't call it a great team-friendly deal either. If Scott is looking for a similar pay day then he can look elsewhere IMO.
2) While I think they could be had in the right deal, I don't think we'll deal either Schröder or Teague before the season. I'm guessing that Mack's role will be to a) provide a tough obstacle between Schröder and PT @ b/u PG and b) provide a tough obstacle between Bazemore and PT @ b/u SG.
3) did he actually sign or is this just agreed to? We'll loss ~$1.5M in cap room when he signs so I'd guess we'd want to move that out as far as possible.
4) 13 roster spots claimed with Mike Scott still out there. I had some really high hopes for this off-season. In my mind, this needed to be a watershed off-season for the Ferry-led Hawks and we're really only coming out with Thabo and Bazemore instead of Ayon and Brand so far (note that Cartier won his spot in Camp and that spot is still open). Have to say that it has been a disappointing off season so far.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#9 » by raleigh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:36 pm

azuresou1 wrote:I'm hearing

You mean "reading?"

Return to Atlanta Hawks