ImageImage

Next year's schedule will be released tonight at 6 pm.

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Next year's schedule will be released tonight at 6 pm. 

Post#1 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:27 pm

For some reason I am actually hyped about the schedule release for once. I guess it's just a sign of how hyped I am for the season to start and our potential.

It looks like opening night for the league will be on Oct. 28 with Dallas @ SAS. I hope we get a home game on Oct 30 or Nov. 1 or 2 so I can make it to Phillips on the first weekend of the season.

We're 0-2 in our past 2 season openers with losses to Houston and @ Dallas. Here's to getting off to a fast start this season.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Next year's schedule will be released tonight at 6 pm. 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:27 pm

We open our season by traveling up north to face Lou Williams and the raps. How ironic heh.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#3 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Loving this schedule!! The NBA really made last years trainwreck of a schedule up to us this year. After looking at the schedule, I'm certain we can pull 50 wins as long as we stay reasonably healthy. The difference in difficulty between the two schedules should give us an additional 5 wins or so.

Last year we had 5 4 games/5 night stretches. Most of these were alternating home and away and we even had an 8 game/12 day stretch at the end of November. This year we only have 3 4 games/5 night stretches. The stretches include far less travel than the ones from last year as well. We do have a 6 game/9 day stretch but it also features far less travel than the 8/12 stretch from last year.

Here's our 4/5 stretches for this year

Nov 25-29 @ Wash, vs Tor, vs N.O., vs Char. we get 2 days off after Char and then play vs Bos, @ Mia

Jan 13-17 @ Philly, @ Bos, @ Tor, @ Chi. This looks to be our toughest stretch of the year as far as having 4/5 and all away games. At least we get two lottery teams in Philly and Boston

Mar 27-31 vs Mia, @ Char, vs N.O., @ Det. We switch home and away but Char is right next door so the travel is limited. We will most likely struggle in the Detroit game.

Here's examples of our 4/5 stretches from last year.

First the 8/12

Nov 19-30
@ Mia, vs Det, day off, @ Det, vs Bos, 2 days off, vs Orl, @ Hou, day off, vs Dal, @ Wash

Feb 18-22
@ Indy, vs Wash, day off, @ Det, vs NYk

Mar 23-31 (6 games in 9 days)
@ Tor, vs Phx, day off, @ Minny, vs Port, day off, @ Wash, day off, vs Philly

April 8-12
vs Det, vs Bos, day off, @ Brk, vs Mia

This is a HUGE difference in strength of schedules. Loving our chances to win the Southeast.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#4 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:07 pm

The Wizards schedule is brutal. We definitely have an advantage in the schedule department with our biggest competition for the division title.

4/5's

Nov 4-8
@ NYK, vs Indy, day off, @ Tor, @ Indy

Jan 13-17
vs San An, @ Chi, day off, vs Brk, @ Brk

Jan 24-28
@ Port, @ Den, day off, @ LAL, @ Phx

Feb 24-28
vs G.S., @ Minny, day off. @ Philly, vs Det
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#5 » by SBM » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 am

Schedule is brutal. Only Memphis gets more disrespect than us when it comes to national coverage
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:00 am

Just two non NBA TV national TV games. Can't say I really blame them, America doesn't really care about the Hawks, no superstar and we haven't really been relevant in a while: hopefully that can change this year.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#7 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 am

ATL Boy wrote:Just two non NBA TV national TV games. Can't say I really blame them, America doesn't really care about the Hawks, no superstar and we haven't really been relevant in a while: hopefully that can change this year.

It does suck that we only get two nationally televised games; however, I think we should be more worried about the strength of our schedule and the NBA really through us a bone in that regard.

Our schedule is tailor-made for a division title run and the sky is the limit from there. As you said, play well this year and hopefully we get more respect next year.

Im surprised that no one else seems to care about the relative ease of this years schedule vs last year's. I guess I shouldnt be since it doesnt fit with the general negative mindset of most on this board.

Im sure my schedule analysis would have received much more response if it was swapped and this years schedule was much tougher than last year's.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I think we should be more worried about the strength of our schedule and the NBA really threw us a bone in that regard...

Our schedule is tailor-made for a division title run...
Im surprised that no one else seems to care about the relative ease of this years schedule...

I guess I shouldnt be since it doesnt fit with the general negative mindset of most on this board.

Most of us have been around long enough to recognize that:

A) Because every team plays each other, the schedules matter less

B) It's damn near impossible to predict how a team will be performing 6 months out because of fatigue, injury, momentum

C) The season schedule effects the final record MUCH less than others factors like injuries, coaching, depth, skill, momentum, opposing team.

82 games in 6 months is a marathon. It's a nice story, but has little bearing on the final outcome. I watched the '96 Bulls win 72 games on a grinding 82-game schedule. They were simply better than everyone regardless of who/where they played. In the 1999 lockout-shortened season, teams had to play 3 games in 3 straight nights. Often. It was brutal to watch.

The single greatest factor that will affect our season this year: how quickly AL Horford gets back into playing shape.

The greatest factor effecting who will win the division this year: how well MIA, CHA and WAS each mesh with their respective new additions. We each play the same teams an equal number of times, no one cares what order those games come in.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#9 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I think we should be more worried about the strength of our schedule and the NBA really threw us a bone in that regard...

Our schedule is tailor-made for a division title run...
Im surprised that no one else seems to care about the relative ease of this years schedule...

I guess I shouldnt be since it doesnt fit with the general negative mindset of most on this board.

Most of us have been around long enough to recognize that:

A) Because every team plays each other, the schedules matter less

B) It's damn near impossible to predict how a team will be performing 6 months out because of fatigue, injury, momentum

C) The season schedule effects the final record MUCH less than others factors like injuries, coaching, depth, skill, momentum, opposing team.

82 games in 6 months is a marathon. It's a nice story, but has little bearing on the final outcome. I watched the '96 Bulls win 72 games on a grinding 82-game schedule. They were simply better than everyone regardless of who/where they played. In the 1999 lockout-shortened season, teams had to play 3 games in 3 straight nights. Often. It was brutal to watch.

The single greatest factor that will affect our season this year: how quickly AL Horford gets back into playing shape.

The greatest factor effecting who will win the division this year: how well MIA, CHA and WAS each mesh with their respective new additions. We each play the same teams an equal number of times, no one cares what order those games come in.

You are seriously off base with this post. Its a fact that stretches of 4 game in 5 days take a toll on a team and they usually struggle in the last game or two of the stretch. Go to a betting website and ask if these stretches matter. Some of the best betting spots are to go against teams on that 4th game. Especially when the team is alternating home and away throughout the stretch.

Go look at our points per game in the 29 games we had Al. Figure out the ppg in the 8 in 12 stretch and you will notice that it is much lower than the other 21 games.

When teams are this close, every advantage counts and our schedule is much easier this season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 am

:-?

And yet...nobody really cares.

We lost 44 games last year. You can blame the schedule makers if you want. I'd rather see us focus on improving the roster and increasing depth to see that we don't fall that far again.

Not whining about playing 82 games over 6 months.

(note: When Spurs have long road trips and quick turnarounds for games, they typically bench their starters for a game or two and lean on their depth. In fact, every year they embark on one of the longest road trips of the season when the rodeo comes to SA and takes over their arena. But it's depth that preserves them for the stretch run. Despite a brutal schedule every...single...year...)
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:22 pm

I prefer as little breaks as possible for our front office to hide behind.
Nothing about making the playoffs pkaying below .500 ball or right at it is appealing to me.
Our ownership and all parties within it need to not be applaud until we actually have a name.
Atlanta as a city needs it.
As for our players, one, two or however many, must make name for themselves, and take advantage of playing on a team that lacks talent. All I ask is that somebody step up before they get shipped, or walk for nothing, and only replaced with lesser talent.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#12 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::-?

And yet...nobody really cares.

We lost 44 games last year. You can blame the schedule makers if you want. I'd rather see us focus on improving the roster and increasing depth to see that we don't fall that far again.

Not whining about playing 82 games over 6 months.

(note: When Spurs have long road trips and quick turnarounds for games, they typically bench their starters for a game or two and lean on their depth. In fact, every year they embark on one of the longest road trips of the season when the rodeo comes to SA and takes over their arena. But it's depth that preserves them for the stretch run. Despite a brutal schedule every...single...year...)

Typical Jamaal protocol right here. At least you are consistent in your ways I guess. Putting words in one's mouth and stretching the hell out of what I say.

When did I ever whine or blame last year's record on our schedule? Any one with half a brain knows that injuries are what ruined our record last season. The schedule probably cost us a couple of games but was nothing compared to the injuries.

All I'm saying is our schedule this year is favorable and should help us win a few more games which could be big when it comes to playoff seeding. Surprise, surprise, negative Jamaal gets upset when you mention a positive around here. This may be the least enjoyable season ever for you. You are going to be forced to watch the Hawks win a large amount of games while Teague carries us and plays very well. Will you be able to continue watching the Hawks if Teague balls out?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:57 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Typical Jamaal protocol right here...When did I ever whine or blame last year's record on our schedule?

:-?

Dude, all you've done the past few months was moan and complain about how unfair all the 4 games in 5 days was last year. Even in this thread you've mentioned how brutal last year's schedule was.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:We were 16-13 but we were better than our record showed. The NBA really screwed us on scheduling in late December. We had a 4 games in 5 days set, then two days off and then another 4 games in 5 days set. With all of the games going back and forth between home and away. We lost 4 of the last 5 of that 8 games in 12 days set. Bad losses to Boston and Orlando and a loss to the Wizards.
HERE
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#14 » by azuresou1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Jamaal TBH man you really need to stop selective quoting, it isn't a good look.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:The schedule probably cost us a couple of games but was nothing compared to the injuries.

It's not contradictory to state that a schedule can be unfair and cost the team games, while at the same time acknowledging that injuries were the main factor for why we sucked.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Jamaal TBH man you really need to stop selective quoting, it isn't a good look.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:The schedule probably cost us a couple of games but was nothing compared to the injuries.

It's not contradictory to state that a schedule can be unfair and cost the team games, while at the same time acknowledging that injuries were the main factor for why we sucked.

:dontknow:

Mike, what are you doing?

ATLHawksfan21 asked when he's ever complained about the schedule affecting our record. I simply provided him a quote and linked to it for his own use. He has of course mentioned injuries ruining last year. (Too often for my taste). But he has mentioned the frequency of games affecting us in November/December several times.

Several Times.

Even in THIS thread. Hell, the major theme of this thread is that this year's schedule is massively easier than last year's. He even speculates the schedule could help us win our first division title in 20 years.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#16 » by azuresou1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm just really not sure what your point is. We clearly got destroyed by injuries last year. Our schedule was also rough, and may have even contributed to some of those injuries (for everyone not named Horford). If we have a easier schedule we may have fewer injuries and thus more wins.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#17 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:38 pm

azuresou1 wrote:I'm just really not sure what your point is. We clearly got destroyed by injuries last year. Our schedule was also rough, and may have even contributed to some of those injuries (for everyone not named Horford). If we have a easier schedule we may have fewer injuries and thus more wins.

I guess the nightmare that is 4 game in 5 night stretches is not as well known outside of the betting community. Teams regularly struggle with these stretches and our schedule is much more favorable regarding these this year than last year. It should help us win an extra couple of games whether it saves us from an injury or not.

Return to Atlanta Hawks