36%

Total votes: 39

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Should Ferry Be Fired? 

Post#101 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

PandaKidd wrote:What if no one was willing to give up anything for J Smoov? I mean barely anyone wanted to sign him in the off season.

What if we got back a 2nd round pick for smith?

Show me a credible offer we turned down and I'll be happy to evaluate it. I think josh Smith was not worth much , personally. In the NBA salaries have to match up etc.

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app

Josh was coming off the single best season of his career. He had expressed a desire to be traded to Sund the year prior and we had been getting multiple offers for him before the Mar 2012 deadline.

Do you really believe that Joe Johnson, on the single worst contract in Hawks history, could garner a 1st round draft pick...but Josh coming off the best year of his career couldn't? That an expiring Corey Maggette could get a 1st round draft pick, but an expiring josh coming off the best statistical season of his career couldn't?
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#102 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Ferry to take "indefinite leave of absence"

Only a matter of time now

Ferry isn't gone yet. Koonin sounds like he is still backing him. I think it will depend on what happens with the ownership situation.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#103 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:51 pm

PandaKidd wrote:What if no one was willing to give up anything for J Smoov? I mean barely anyone wanted to sign him in the off season.

Show me a credible offer we turned down and I'll be happy to evaluate it. I think josh Smith was not worth much , personally. In the NBA salaries have to match up etc.

Exactly. and this trade would have cost the owners a fortune. Attendance would have plummeted for the rest of the year and we would have missed out on the few games of playoff revenue.

Owners weren't about to let Ferry dump Smith in exchange for some late pick even if he wanted to.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#104 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Josh was coming off the single best season of his career. He had expressed a desire to be traded to Sund the year prior and we had been getting multiple offers for him before the Mar 2012 deadline.

Do you really believe that Joe Johnson, on the single worst contract in Hawks history, could garner a 1st round draft pick...but Josh coming off the best year of his career couldn't? That an expiring Corey Maggette could get a 1st round draft pick, but an expiring josh coming off the best statistical season of his career couldn't?

Joe didn't have the character concerns that Josh did and that was a once in a lifetime deal. You will never see an owner be willing to go that far over the cap again.

Joe was a perennial all-star while Josh hadn't made a single one.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#105 » by PandaKidd » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:59 pm

I still think the offers for josh smith were bags of half eaten chips and used envelopes. Nothing of substance

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#106 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:07 pm

PandaKidd wrote:I still think the offers for josh smith were bags of half eaten chips and used envelopes. Nothing of substance

My research is in the early stages, but found an old thread on the topic:

HMFFL wrote:Teams have been calling the Atlanta Hawks all week to register trade interest in swingman Josh Smith, according to sources close to the situation.

And one of those teams, sources said, is the Orlando Magic, who know that Smith ranks as one of Dwight Howard's closest friends.

But new Hawks general manager Danny Ferry apparently isn't ready to part with Smith right away.

Boston, Houston and the Los Angeles Lakers -- with Pau Gasol as the prime piece being offered in L.A.'s case -- have joined Orlando this week in making their interest in Smith known.

Yet as Ferry settles into the job, sources say he wants to take stock of things before deciding if he's prepared to go into next season without Smith, who is entering the final year of his contract at $13.2 million and has let it be known for some time that he'd welcome a trade.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... th-for-now

Ferry's first week on the job. he shipped out Marvin and Joe. But declined to move Josh, instead offering a max contract extension of 3 years for $15 million per.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#107 » by td00 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Josh Smith was not worth anything because Sund, DF and Drew allowed him Josh to do things Josh's way.

Don't put this on Josh....he needed leadership, and got very little.

We should have gotten something for Josh instead of just cap space...that is a cop-out. We brought in Millsap, which fortunately has worked, but I can't believe I'm going to say this, DF was no better at improving the makeup of this team than Sund was. At least when Sund was here, we had a bench of vets instead of a bench of projects. I get that is takes time for projects to work themselves to contributors, but Bebe, Lou and trading for the contract of Cunningham really got us nothing in return. Very similar to the Bibby/Marvin, & Zaza resignings by Sund.

Along with that, our drafts have been nothing short of dismal IMO. You can always put guys on the roster to justify drafting them, but what pick since DF has been here has taken on a major role with us? Scott is as close as you'll get.

FAs we did bring in........KK, DMC, Antic, Millsap, Bazemore, Thabo....all bargain buys because we can't compete for top shelf guys..................not one rumor on Kevin Love....a sad shame.

I say all this knowing that neither GM, Sund or DF, had full control over basketball operations....the line that DF was the final say is a joke. The owners were not going to exceed the cap and guess what, they weren't going to use the injury exception from Al last year. You can't tell me we shouldn't have used that exemption.

The ASG has their hands all over this mess, and any other controversy since they arrived. I would gladly watch DF walk to get rid of Levenson, Gearon and all their posse. I don't want to see what marketing genius tricks Koonin can come up with. He was okay with DF's statements until they became public, and he's not needed to bring in talent.

We need a talent gatherer plain and simple, along with an owner who allows his 'experts' to do their job and no intervene. Koonin puts Bud in charge so they don't have to spend any money on a replacement, so more deferring to the ASG for any moves.

I don't expect any real talent to come in here until we get an owner who is an asset to Atlanta. Perhaps our trades of the year won't consist of a crippled Antawn Jamison at the trade deadline. What an embarrassment to announce that trade!

This could very well be another wasted year in the history of the Hawks the longer this extends. And I thought Indy's year was bleak.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#108 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 pm

td00 wrote:Josh Smith was not worth anything because Sund, DF and Drew allowed him Josh to do things Josh's way.

Don't put this on Josh....he needed leadership, and got very little.

We should have gotten something for Josh instead of just cap space...that is a cop-out. We brought in Millsap, which fortunately has worked, but I can't believe I'm going to say this, DF was no better at improving the makeup of this team than Sund was. At least when Sund was here, we had a bench of vets instead of a bench of projects. I get that is takes time for projects to work themselves to contributors, but Bebe, Lou and trading for the contract of Cunningham really got us nothing in return. Very similar to the Bibby/Marvin, & Zaza resignings by Sund.

Along with that, our drafts have been nothing short of dismal IMO. You can always put guys on the roster to justify drafting them, but what pick since DF has been here has taken on a major role with us? Scott is as close as you'll get.

FAs we did bring in........KK, DMC, Antic, Millsap, Bazemore, Thabo....all bargain buys because we can't compete for top shelf guys..................not one rumor on Kevin Love....a sad shame.

I say all this knowing that neither GM, Sund or DF, had full control over basketball operations....the line that DF was the final say is a joke. The owners were not going to exceed the cap and guess what, they weren't going to use the injury exception from Al last year. You can't tell me we shouldn't have used that exemption.

The ASG has their hands all over this mess, and any other controversy since they arrived. I would gladly watch DF walk to get rid of Levenson, Gearon and all their posse. I don't want to see what marketing genius tricks Koonin can come up with. He was okay with DF's statements until they became public, and he's not needed to bring in talent.

We need a talent gatherer plain and simple, along with an owner who allows his 'experts' to do their job and no intervene. Koonin puts Bud in charge so they don't have to spend any money on a replacement, so more deferring to the ASG for any moves.

I don't expect any real talent to come in here until we get an owner who is an asset to Atlanta. Perhaps our trades of the year won't consist of a crippled Antawn Jamison at the trade deadline. What an embarrassment to announce that trade!

This could very well be another wasted year in the history of the Hawks the longer this extends. And I thought Indy's year was bleak.

You will get half of your wish. The ASG is about to be out of here but Ferry will remain.
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#109 » by hawkschop1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Should ferry be fired?

No.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
King Stannis
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#110 » by King Stannis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:03 am

FYI Hawks fans: It appears it was former Cavs GM Chris Grant who is the original source of the quote.

Per Woj:

Everyone wants to know: In the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's published scouting report on Deng, who was the redacted Cleveland source responsible for the initial African slurs? If this wasn't Chris Grant – the deposed Cleveland GM who replaced Ferry with the Cavaliers – it will be difficult for him to convince people otherwise. And that's a brutally vulnerable position for Ferry to have left him.

It's unfair to Grant and former Cavs coach Mike Brown, another close friend of Ferry's. The report says the interview took place on June 6, 2014 – months after each was let go in Cleveland.

Who else would know that Herb Rudoy, one of Deng's agents, wanted $12 million a year? Who else could speak with such authority about the trade negotiations with Chicago, about the rest of the teams interested in Deng at the deadline, about how the redacted coaches felt about Deng's performance in the final line of the report? All those things point to Grant, but that doesn't mean it's him. That doesn't mean the redacted use of "the former" fill-in-the-blank official was legitimate.

Grant was Ferry's protege so who knows if this does actually reflect on Ferry's way of doing business.

Hope things work out with a minimum of pain for the Hawks.

Ciao.
Bend the knee.

SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#111 » by SBM » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:30 am

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
SBM wrote:Please, who cares where it came from. Those were still Ferry's words

Wait a sec. Let me get this straight. You are irate at Ferry and want his career ended for repeating the words but have no issue with the initial author of the words?

Please dude, if you say there is no God and I am seriously appalled by your statement I will never repeat it because I think it is just that harmful.
FCNATL85
Starter
And1: 12

Post#112 » by FCNATL85 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 pm

If he should not be fired, we would not ask the question. Quite brutal but that simple.
The whole organization has to reestablish credibility and that is where it should start.
Ferry was calling for character guys to build around :banghead: :banghead:
Pryftan
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#113 » by Pryftan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Agreed. Ferry wasn't reading crap. He's a racist and he needs to be gone.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#114 » by PandaKidd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Now Carmelo is talking. He is quoted as saying "no FAs will want to go there" speaking about Atlanta.

Ferry has to go, we can't have someone players wont play for

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#115 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:46 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Now Carmelo is talking. He is quoted as saying "no FAs will want to go there" speaking about Atlanta.

Ferry has to go, we can't have someone players wont play for

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Is carmelo referring to the fact that no one will come to ATL through free agency if Ferry is still here or because we are the hawks and have been a treadmill team forever? Basically is it because of Ferry or is t because we have never gotten past the 2nd round in the playoffs in forever?
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#116 » by PandaKidd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Because of ferry and his comments, "no one would want to play there".

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/9/13/6 ... ry-scandal

SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#117 » by SBM » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:24 pm

Carmelo's statements should not surprise anyone.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#118 » by slicedbread2 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:57 am

To be honest with you, as an outsider it's pretty sad what the Atlanta Spirit group has done to the Hawks and what they did to the Thrashers really pissed me off.

As far as Ferry goes, I personally feel that it was completely stupid on his part to read it and it really isn't about him as much as it has been about a power struggle between a bunch of rich guys who clearly have no idea how to run a professional basketball team. God knows how badly they did with the hockey team even though they never wanted it to begin with. In the end, he's most likely gone as whatever slim chances the Hawks had in terms of recruiting highly coveted players has gone from slim to zero at this point.

I'd be praying that maybe Dominique Wilkins could raise an ownership group and be apart of the group that buys the Hawks from these incomprehensible yellow bellies with the IQ's of a humpback gorilla. I think this team needs a fresh start in terms of ownership.
Dynomike
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#119 » by Dynomike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:06 am

Should he be fired only for what he said? No, I wouldn't. We have this tiny piece of information on him and I think it's unfair and hypocritical to judge a person like that. Let he who hasn't said a stupid and inappropriate remark cast the first stone.

From a business side...he's gotta go. He hurts the Hawks from public perception on down to signing new players. Justifiable or not the team and the brand will have a smear on it until action is taken.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#120 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:56 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Looks like the new commish agrees with me. He just backed Ferry and said that he should not be fired over this incident. At least the commish is able to think with a clear head.

I guess you will categorize his statement as whining and naivety as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2194380-silver-says-ferry-shouldnt-be-fired-from-hawks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today Adam Silver made comments commending Ferry's decision to step aside. SOMEWHAT counter to his previous statement that Ferry shouldn't be fired.

Read on Twitter

I think most people would agree that the situation had been so toxic and hostile, a change was simply necessary.

Return to Atlanta Hawks