Enes Kanter to enter restricted free agency

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Enes Kanter to enter restricted free agency 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Enes Kanter plans to enter restricted free agency after the Jazz could not strike a deal to extend him.
"We have mutually agreed with Utah to concentrate on the season and look at our options again in the summer," agent Max Ergul said. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers Kanter would receive in free agency, but the Jazz will take comfort in the fact that if he does leave, they have an intriguing replacement in Rudy Gobert.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jazz-cente ... 19992.html
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Enes Kanter to enter restricted free agency 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Has anyone here actually watched Kanter in pre-season? He has been putting in a lot of work on his 15-17 foot jumper. I also heard through the grapevine that he's been working on his 3 point shot as well. If this guy shows a lot of improvement as the season progresses I think he could be a dark horse candidate for the Hawks to chase after in FA.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#3 » by theatlfan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:29 pm

While I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Kanter, I hate chasing RFA's - especially ones for teams who would have cap space. You have to overpay RFAs anyway due to the team's right to match, but for teams with cap space, that means that they already have $$ they need to spend anyway. It's not like UTH is a place that will land a max FA guy that would squeeze the available $$ to the point where they would consider just not matching Kanter; it would make more sense for them to just match Kanter then attempt to deal him in a year when his trade restrictions expire.

It'd be one thing if I honestly believed that our FO would be the type of FO that would do something creative that would put a team like UTH in a bind as to whether to resign someone or not (like DAL when they signed Parsons) but if we didn't do anything for the likes of Bledsoe or Monroe with the cap room we had last summer, then I don't think we would next summer either.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:26 pm

I do believe Kanter is a worthwhile Free Agent target. I have for a while. I think an aggressive contract offer would get him to us. Something in the $6-8 million range. The question becomes do we think he'll be worth that much over the course of his contract. And I am honestly not sure either.

Kanter and Horford would make a nice combo at C/PF.

And the word on the street is that UTAH sees Favors as the Center of the future anyway:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Tjonessltrib/status/474611355652067328[/tweet]
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer
And1: 387

Re: Sv: Enes Kanter to enter restricted free agency 

Post#5 » by Hedda Gambler » Mon Nov 3, 2014 8:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I do believe Kanter is a worthwhile Free Agent target. I have for a while. I think an aggressive contract offer would get him to us. Something in the $6-8 million range. The question becomes do we think he'll be worth that much over the course of his contract. And I am honestly not sure either.
]

6-8 million for an rfa big is being aggressive?
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#6 » by azuresou1 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 11:27 pm

Rudy Gobert is quickly eating up Kanter's minutes. I think Kanter's on his way out.

$6-8M for a young big man who isn't a total scrub is very far from being aggressive. He'll get $9-12M just out of virtue of being a young big man.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 4, 2014 12:02 am

azuresou1 wrote:Rudy Gobert is quickly eating up Kanter's minutes. I think Kanter's on his way out.

$6-8M for a young big man who isn't a total scrub is very far from being aggressive. He'll get $9-12M just out of virtue of being a young big man.

It appears that way.
I'm curious to see what Utah receives for him.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer
And1: 387

Post#8 » by Hedda Gambler » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm a Jazz-fan who has followed Enes since he was drafted. We had such high hopes for him, but by now most of us gave given up on him. He lacks so much on defense that he has too much to make up on offense to be a positive player. If he is allowed to play inside and use his body, he will give you points and rebounds. He will also give you grey hair when you watch any semi decent opponent rape him time and time again.

Enes is still young and I really hope he figures it out. He was good last night with 17 and 9 against the Clippers, but I am pretty sure we let him go if someone offers us anything of interest for him.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530-U00 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#9 » by Amish Mafioso » Mon Jan 5, 2015 10:00 am

Another Jazz fan here. Quick update on Enes. Although it was true that in Nov. it looked like Kanter might be on his way out, IMO his development since then has changed things. He has had some really nice offensive games and has also improved his defense to the point that I believe Utah will match up to 12 million, possibly more. With the expected increase in the cap, Utah won't be in a bind financially anytime soon, and if one of our bigs gets moved, I think it's up in the air between Favors and Enes, and I don't think Utah will make that decision before they have to, unless they get a trade offer they can't refuse.

It's happened very quickly, but Gobert has emerged as our center of the future, IMO. It's also possible we keep all 3, and split minutes between them at the 4/5. Whoever comes off the bench will still be getting about the same minutes as they would starting. Gobert has been the x-factor in how things are playing out for our bigs, and I doubt anybody would have believed Jazz fans would value him over Enes and Favors so soon, but that's what has happened. Even though it might appear that Gobert makes Enes expendable, Rudy is exactly the kind of player you need playing next to a player like Enes, so in a way, Gobert's emergence makes it easier to hold on to Kanter.

I will also be curious to see what kind of an offer Kanter gets, and I think it could go both ways. My gut tells me that someone will try to pry him away with a big contract, but I'm hoping teams will be scared off believing we will just match, as we did with Hayward.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#10 » by td00 » Mon Jan 5, 2015 3:19 pm

If Utah can get something in return that is significant for Enes, they will move him first. They've committed to Favors and the games I've seen, Gobert is the late game C.
What will it take to get Enes? You better get him before the summer, because it will be much tougher. He's getting a min 10M/year.
I don't see Bud doing anything that significant with things going so well, cap space or not.

But Sap/Enes/Al would be a nice combo even though Antic and Brand do a lot of the dirty work.

Return to Atlanta Hawks