ImageImage

What if Ray Allen signed with the Hawks?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

What if Ray Allen signed with the Hawks? 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:15 am

He would take minutes away from Baz and Thabo and both have been playing great as of late. Also, Ray would not have instant success because he would have a learning curve and take some time in understanding Budz's system.

But boy, what a weapon the Hawks would have come playoff time if the Hawks had both Korver and Ray on the floor at the same time in the fourth quarter?!!!!
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: What if Ray Allen signed with the Hawks? 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:21 am

I heard this on ESPN but unfortunately it came from Brian Windhorst...the least credible guy of all the ESPN analysts. I just don't see Ray all of a sudden out f no where choosing to sign with us. Personally, I don't think he returns at all to any team.

The most important thing to ask here though..whose minutes does he take? If he takes Baze's or Thabo's then we lose significant defense. And Baze is really starting to hit his 3's as of late.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:38 am

PMOTT3 wrote:I heard this on ESPN but unfortunately it came from Brian Windhorst...the least credible guy of all the ESPN analysts. I just don't see Ray all of a sudden out f no where choosing to sign with us. Personally, I don't think he returns at all to any team.

The most important thing to ask here though..whose minutes does he take? If he takes Baze's or Thabo's then we lose significant defense. And Baze is really starting to hit his 3's as of late.

Ya, i'm not saying Ray is coming to the Hawks. i just read a story that he is talking to the Cavs. It just made me think, how amazing it would be if Korver and Ray were on the floor at the same time. and how many plays Budz could come up with, with both of them.

If Ray is a ring chaser, then the Hawks should be on the list, not top of the list, but maybe in the bottom of a short list.
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#4 » by Damon_3388 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 am

What if the Hawks gave John Jenkins some minutes?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#5 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:27 am

Damon_3388 wrote:What if the Hawks gave John Jenkins some minutes?

The funny thing is that he actually looked really good in summer league. It's always baffled me that Jenkins couldn't find any minutes on our team. At the beginning of the season we were all claiming that he deserves way more minutes over Bazemore but with the way Baze has been playing D and hitting the 3, there's nonway id give his minutes away just to see jenkins come in.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:03 am

Damon_3388 wrote:What if the Hawks gave John Jenkins some minutes?

I don't know what John is doing in practice. Maybe Budz sees something or doesn't see something in Jenkins during practice, but it's up to the coach to decide who can help the team.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#7 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm

My theory is that since we didn't sign John to a longer contract, we're going to limit his playing time as long as things are going well. This offseason, since he hasn't proven much, the market for him will be cheaper than if he got extended burn, and we can resign him if Bud likes what he sees.

If things aren't going well and we need some wing play (say, in the playoffs), Bud can bring in a guy who hasn't been scouted much but knows our system and has been getting development time.

That's my optimistic hope anyways, maybe he's just going to get released.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm

I'd love to add Ray.
He's probably enjoying life with his family at the moment, but I still expect him to sign with a team, so hopefully we pursue him. Pursuing him just to add some creditability that we're making an attempt to improve as much as possible needs to occur.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#9 » by td00 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Can't see him going away from LeBron or the Heat.

I think Ray is done unless he goes West.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:05 pm

The Atlanta Hawks have joined a host of other clubs interested in signing Ray Allen.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25051281/report-hawks-interested-in-signing-ray-allen
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#11 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:37 pm

Honestly hope we don't sign Allen. Playing him with Korver just devalues Korver (since he'd have more responsibility on the defensive end). Agree with the poster above, if you want an SG who can hit the 3, then just play Jenkins - He can do more than Allen anyways.
Hawkeyes
Sixth Man
And1: 1,559

Post#12 » by Hawkeyes » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:40 pm

No thanks...the only thing appealing about him is his name. He's a shell of his former self and a liability on defense. Let the ring chaser go elsewhere.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#13 » by ATL Boy » Fri Feb 6, 2015 9:13 pm

I don't want him. You have to be able to play defense in this system, Ray Allen can't.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Feb 8, 2015 3:14 am

You guys are crazy to think that Ray Allen can't help the Hawks, even ignorant to think that John Jenkins is any where close to Ray Allen.

You have absolutely no idea how Ray Allen and his 15 years of playoff experience would help a team. The playoffs is a different level and Ray is the kind of players that rises up during playoff time. especially during key moments when your team needs a play. He would probably only average 6pts and 1 steal, but those two 3s and one steal is enough to turn a whole playoff series around.

Their is a reason why the SPURS, Gregg Popovich, and Coach Budz wants Ray on their team with his playoff clutchness.

It boggles the mind that you guys don't want Ray Allen and Coach Budenholzer wants and is trying to get him on the Hawks, like Coach Budz doesn't know what playoff basketball is. :-?

Return to Atlanta Hawks