Sports Illustrated: Hawks Offseason Grade

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Sports Illustrated: Hawks Offseason Grade 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:59 pm

I've done this the past couple of summers, figured I'd give post this year's as well. Here

Atlanta Hawks

Best move: Nabbing Tiago Splitter for an irrelevant, top-55 protected draft pick.

Worst move: Bidding high to acquire Tim Hardaway Jr., a player with no discernible record of passing or defending at an NBA level.

Analysis: Carroll won’t be easily replaced. Whether Hardaway, Kent Bazemore, recent addition Justin Holiday, or a recovered Thabo Sefolosha ultimately winds up filling Caroll’s spot in the starting lineup, the Hawks know they’ll need to compensate for the difference elsewhere. Millsap, Al Horford, Kyle Korver, and Jeff Teague will all be integral in that effort.

Grade: B

Thoughts?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Sports Illustrated: Hawks Offseason Grade 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:20 pm

While I didn't love all of our moves, I'd say we had a pretty successful offseason in the post-Danny ferry era.

Millsap earned the right to come back...even on a higher salary than I'd have liked.

Trading for Tiago was a masterstroke.

The THJ trade was probably the most puzzling move. We'll see if Bud over paid for the young fella. I still think Bobby Portis and Justin Anderson in the draft were better options for the long-term.

But it's all on Bud now...

I mentioned last year that:

Jamaaliver wrote:A few positive headlines, a marketable star and a winning culture will all be necessary turn the tide in this city.

We finally got two out of the three here in the ATL. Now we just need a top tier player to get to that upper echelon of true contending teams.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,926

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Choosing Millsap over DMC - check.
Nabbing Tiago after realizing we couldn't retain DMC - genius move - helps us where we need the most help - REBOUNDING.
The THJr move - only time will tell. I like that he has NBA experience already. IF he wants to be great and takes Bud's instruction he'll be fine. He has to play defense or will not see the floor.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#4 » by td00 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm okay with Splitter, and because of Ferry, it was an overdue move. We had to accept Antic and Brand in that role, so that is an improvement.

Return to Atlanta Hawks