ImageImage

What will the Eastern Conference Standings look like next season?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm

As we proceed through the dog days of summer...ESPN releases their preliminary predictions for 2017. Shout out to Soaring Down South for catching the article.

ESPN released their annual Summer Forecast, which is a series of articles that include early projections for the following season. They began with the Eastern Conference standings. Here’s how the list played out:

1.Cleveland Cavaliers- 57-25
2.T-2 Boston Celtics- 51-31
3.T-2 Toronto Raptors- 51-31
4.T-4 Detroit Pistons- 45-37
5.T-4 Indiana Pacers- 45-37
6.Atlanta Hawks- 44-38
7.Charlotte Hornets- 43-39
8.Washington Wizards- 41-41

Here’s what they put for the Hawks:

On the surface, Dwight Howard brings more rebounds, blocked shots and a better ability to finish at the hoop. However, according to RPM, which estimates on-court team performance, former Hawk Horford ranked 27th with a 2.97 rating last season, while Howard had a -0.04 rating. Atlanta still projects as a playoff team, but our forecast thinks it’ll take a hit with Dwight. ESPN

Thoughts? Predictions?

Are we too low?
Is Boston too high?
Can the Cavs be overtaken?
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: What will the Eastern Conference Standings look like next season? 

Post#2 » by PandaKidd » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Im not sure how the Celtics go from 5 to 2. Especially considering Toronto is largely the same team as last year. The pistons looked good, I like the moves the Pacers made this offseason.

Id go CLE by a longshot, and after that its a crap shoot. I really have to believe that the Wizards arent that bad. I do agree the Hawks are prob a 45win-ish team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:27 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Id go CLE by a longshot, and after that its a crap shoot.

This...it's so difficult to really get any kind of feel for what anyone will do outside of CLE.

I do think BOS is stronger now than last year's 48 win team. Horford is a massive upgrade over Jared Sullinger. (And I still suspect they have another move coming before the end of the calendar year.)

I LOVE what Indy has done personnel-wise. But I have doubts that Nate McMillan is the coach to bring it all together. Larry Bird did a masterful job of getting cheap, second-tier talents without giving up much in return. (George Hill and #20 pick got them upgrades at PG and SF.) If Larry Bird was coaching this team, I'd make them the favorite to come out of the East. That's how effective a Coach he is; that's how much improved the supporting cast is around the 2nd best player in the East.

Man, if we fall out of the top 5 AND Boston jumps to top 2 in the conference...I expect Ressler would make major changes in the front office.

I honestly don't know where the Hawks will be. This is almost entirely due to DS as lead dog...in a very different offense...with a major post player in tow. There's so many variables in play right now. It's up to Budenholzer to figure out a way to make it all work.

I'm not sure DET is ready for a jump into the top 5 of the conference just yet.

I do think NY will be better than a lot of people expect. Hornacek is a pretty good coach.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:08 pm

I don't think Boston jumps to 2nd in the east with the addition of Horford, but in terms of the ESPN prediction, I guess it's better than some of the 55+ win predictions I've seen for the Celtics this summer. They add Horford while losing Sullinger and Evan Turner (a good, versatile, glue guy), that won't hurt them at all, it's probably a plus.

What will hurt Boston is regression. That's a team that overachieved last year, and I think that Isaiah Thomas will regress this season. Their perimeter players still aren't good 3 point shooters, so I'd venture to guess that they'll finish with around the same win 48 win total from last season, at around the same 4th-5th place. However, if they make a big trade they could easily finish 2nd.

Toronto is still the favorite for second place. No real changes over there: Lowry and DeRozen still make up the nucleus, Carroll should be healthier, Valanciunas came into his own in the playoffs.

As for the Hawks, I truly believe that Dwight will be a lot more motivated knowing that this is his final chance at redemption, and that he'll look more like the Superman of Orlando rather than the Clark Kent of Houston as a result. I'm sure Bud and the coaching staff believe that Bazemore will be better this year; and Korver/Thabo will both have had a full offseason's preparation after not having to recover from severe injury. THJ should also be improved.

The wildcard here is Dennis: will he be able to make that all important leap this season? I think we can get through the inconsistency with him because we've been getting through Teague's inconsistency for years, and that Jack will be a very nice steady hand as backup PG when healthy. Splitter being healthy is also very underrated: despite the underwhelming stats, our W/L record with him playing last season was superb, and I don't think that's a coincidence. With Dwight, Millsap, Humphries, and Splitter as the big man rotation we should be a top 5 rebounding team.

All in all I see a 50-win season and a 3 seed if Dennis can make that aforementioned leap. We lost Al and gained Dwight, but a motivated Dwight is a better player than Horford. We lost Teague and gained Jack, but we give Dennis, who has a higher ceiling than both, room to grow. If Taurean Prince manages to do anything in his rookie year then that'll just be gravy. Bembry will probably be a D-League regular.

I also don't see Indiana as being that much better this season. They have a lineup full of players who all need the ball in their hands, and they'll probably go from being one of the best defensive teams to being one of the worst. A backcourt of Teague/Ellis with Al Jefferson in the middle is just swiss cheese.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#5 » by PandaKidd » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Was talking with a coworker yesterday, being a Boston fan, I dont see them being #2. Im not that hyped over the Horford signing. But, having said that, 3-6 all had the exact same record 48 wins, pacers had 45. Boston was .5 game from being a 3rd seed.

So in that context, I could see the going to #2-3. Hawks , same thing, they were .5 game from being a 3rd seed.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:10 pm

Las Vegas Superbook releases its annual over/under win predictions for each team....so, how did the Hawks fare?

The Hawks round out in fifth place according to the predictions. At 43.5 wins, A 4.5 game difference from last season’s 48 [victories].
Here

Read on Twitter

...a quick look at the rest of the Conference reveals that Atlanta would be the “favorite” to win the SouthEast Division, according to these projections. Washington is projected for 42.5 wins, while Charlotte (39.5), Miami (36.5) and Orlando (36.5) fall in line after that.
Here
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Las Vegas Superbook releases its annual over/under win predictions for each team....so, how did the Hawks fare?

The Hawks round out in fifth place according to the predictions. At 43.5 wins, A 4.5 game difference from last season’s 48 [victories].
Here

Read on Twitter

...a quick look at the rest of the Conference reveals that Atlanta would be the “favorite” to win the SouthEast Division, according to these projections. Washington is projected for 42.5 wins, while Charlotte (39.5), Miami (36.5) and Orlando (36.5) fall in line after that.
Here

Seems like easy money on the over, barring injuries of course.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#8 » by simon24 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:28 am

Jamaaliver wrote:As we proceed through the dog days of summer...ESPN releases their preliminary predictions for 2017. Shout out to Soaring Down South for catching the article.

ESPN released their annual Summer Forecast, which is a series of articles that include early projections for the following season. They began with the Eastern Conference standings. Here’s how the list played out:

1.Cleveland Cavaliers- 57-25
2.T-2 Boston Celtics- 51-31
3.T-2 Toronto Raptors- 51-31
4.T-4 Detroit Pistons- 45-37
5.T-4 Indiana Pacers- 45-37
6.Atlanta Hawks- 44-38
7.Charlotte Hornets- 43-39
8.Washington Wizards- 41-41

Here’s what they put for the Hawks:

On the surface, Dwight Howard brings more rebounds, blocked shots and a better ability to finish at the hoop. However, according to RPM, which estimates on-court team performance, former Hawk Horford ranked 27th with a 2.97 rating last season, while Howard had a -0.04 rating. Atlanta still projects as a playoff team, but our forecast thinks it’ll take a hit with Dwight. ESPN

Thoughts? Predictions?

Are we too low?
Is Boston too high?
Can the Cavs be overtaken?

Hawks are the 4th best team in the East IMO (behind CLE, BOS, TOR). I don't think BOS is too high. Their system/team reminds me of the 2014 Hawks. I expect them to win a lot of regular season games. They may could finish 1st in the East if the Cavs decide to rest Kyrie/Love/LeBron.

Cavs could be beat. Not having JR right now hurts them, he's an underrated defender for them, in addition to his 3 point shooting. The East has gotten better compared to 2 years ago when they made the Finals without Love and Kyrie being out.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

I figure we could do this again. As we head in to another year here, how do you guys see the season playing itself out?

Any bold predictions? Which team will surprise? Which team(s) will disappoint?

Who's the MVP? Top seed in the East?

Can anyone dethrone the Cavs? Will we get 2 All Star selections this year?

Thoughts?
Predictions?

Concerns?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm spit-balling here...still trying to decide.

I think Cleveland is vulnerable this year. The fatigue of six straight runs to the NBA Finals starts to wear on LeBron. They're still the best team in the East, by far. But I can see a second tier team making them sweat down the stretch.

Fun fact: LeBron led teams that have dominated the EC the past six years have only been the #1 seed in the EC Playoffs twice. I think we'll see that come into play again this year while another team over achieves.

I like Boston's team. They were a 48-win squad last year and improved their team with the addition of a certain 4x All Star. He may only be a 'system player', but Boston runs a pretty great system.

I REALLY like Indy's team. They needed additional scoring options and a revamped offense. They got 'em. Al Jefferson, Jeff Teague, Thad Young added to a squad with Paul George and an improving Myles Turner is talented. Their defense will take a hit. And Nate McMillan might not be the best fit for an offensive juggernaut.

Toronto will be a strong team again, as Lowry approaches Free Agency and Jonas Valanciunas improves.

The Hawks were great defensively last year, but mediocre offensively. Then they lost two of their best offensive players. I think Atlanta gets worse at both offense and defense in the regular season. But Dwight returns to form and improves their rebounding greatly.

Detroit will compete.

My predictions are gonna be a bit controversial:

1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Washington
6. Atlanta
7. Detroit

Hawks will end up with around 46 wins. But will be more competitive in the playoffs.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#11 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:25 pm

We were #1 in defense for the preseason (yes I know preseason) so I think that carries over into the regular season. I think our defense will have to be our staple while the offense continues to gel.
Hawks will be 2nd or 3rd in East.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:35 am

I also predict that we will, undoubtedly, face off against (at least) one of DeMarre, Teague or Horford in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#13 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I also predict that we will, undoubtedly, face off against (at least) one of DeMarre, Teague or Horford in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

That's Ok if we face one, two or all three.
DMC is still bothered by his knee.
Dennis vs Teague - intriguing, I'd pay to see that matchup.
Howard vs Horford - bring it on.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Through the first few weeks, things look promising for the home team.

Read on Twitter

From CSN Chicago

Don't sleep on Atlanta in the East. Like many others, I was skeptical about the Hawks signing Atlanta native Dwight Howard to a big-money free agent contract. But through the first 10 games, Howard seems revitalized playing in his hometown, and Dennis Schroder is making Hawks fans forget about Jeff Teague. I don’t believe the Hawks have enough firepower to make a serious run at Cleveland, but they still shape up as a top four team in the East with one of the league’s best coaches in Mike Budenholzer.

Return to Atlanta Hawks