ImageImage

Hawks begin search for new GM

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Re: Hawks begin search for new GM 

Post#61 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat May 20, 2017 7:54 pm

You know I kinda forgot about Resseler, and some of the things he has said combined with our HC taking a demotion from being the president. So all of this may be for nothing anyway. Seems like we may just be adding a place holder at GM, who will probably end up being a glorified scout.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#62 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I'm still holding out hope that Ressler isn't going to be that dumb and that the interviewing process is going to enlighten him and he's going to quickly bring in the best GM and let them do their job.

Maybe that's why he is trying to interview guys like Olshey, so he can get some insight on what, or who to hire.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#63 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#64 » by MaceCase » Sat May 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
MaceCase wrote:Well I'd have to disagree completely on Ressler knowing a long time ago that BudCox were going to have their roles reduced given that a week before the Hawks were knocked out of the playoffs he was very publicly touting them continuing to remain within their respective positions. No, you can't rush this decision given that even fans are stating how important the role is that any candidate will have to face so that requires complete due diligence and looking in every direction including amongst other teams be they still playing or not.

Danny Ferry was hired 3 days before the draft yet made widespread changes to the Hawks felt even to this day and beyond despite having his tenure unceremoniously cut short. Making the right decision trumps any arbitrary time deadline being set as this is a hire that will affect the Hawks beyond just one summer. Sap is a moot point as it's already been stated that Ressler will negotiate directly with him and the draft isn't a mystery in terms of the prospects available so even if a GM candidate has not been following basketball at all for some reason he still has all the intel that Bud, Wilcox, Sund, Petterson, and the rest of the staff have compiled and are compiling.

I like everything you're saying, including Ferry being hired 3 days before the draft. My thing is that Ferry wasn't a bad GM when he was in Cleveland, and was well established. It wasn't hard for him to turn things around for us. I mean he's having an impact on the Pelicans already in his 2nd year.

From the looks of most of the guys we're looking at, it seems like we might either get a rookie GM, or a guy who hasn't really done a lot despite being in the league for a while. Now you might say i'm contradicting myself again, and say that's the reason we should be patient, but I don't want to be giving a rookie GM only a few days, if he even gets any, and have to rely on our current staff for Intel on draft prospects and free agents. Our current staff hasn't done the best job in that department, including the HC himself.

Well Ferry wasn't exactly highly touted out of Cleveland given that the best move by his team was a certain overall #1 selected by the previous regime but he still paid dividends for the Hawks in his short time here. His current position with the Pelicans that he was hired for just last summer is no greater than Rick Sund's with the Hawks so I don't know how much impact you can credit him with.

From what I've seen the only "rookies" mentioned are Billups and Barry, the rest are either retreads with similar success and failures as Ferry or the current #1 or #2 guys for their respective teams. Again, I said if for whatever reason these current GMs haven't been keeping track of the league, draft, cap etc.....well they at least have a slew of information to pour over from the current Hawks regime. That is entirely doubtful though and if a hire is that uninformed and incompetent then a month isn't really going to make a difference.

Additionally, no owner is ever going to hire a guy to come in and do his own thing. They are going to hire someone whose vision aligns with theirs, they are often allowed their own leeway but the overall direction has to be the same. This was even the case when Ferry was hired and given the "golden ticket", he still reported to Levenson just had an issue reporting to the Gearons...and we see what happened with the Hawks' former GM for having an alternative view to Ressler.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm

MaceCase wrote:Well Ferry wasn't exactly highly touted out of Cleveland given that the best move by his team was a certain overall #1 selected by the previous regime but he still paid dividends for the Hawks in his short time here. His current position with the Pelicans that he was hired for just last summer is no greater than Rick Sund's with the Hawks so I don't know how much impact you can credit him with.

Maybe highly touted wasn't what I should have inferred. I guess a more popularly, known retread, who was back in SA at the time. MY personal thoughts, I didn't think Ferry did a bad job in Cleveland, but that's irrelevant and subjective I guess.

MaceCase wrote:From what I've seen the only "rookies" mentioned are Billups and Barry, the rest are either retreads with similar success and failures as Ferry or the current #1 or #2 guys for their respective teams. Again, I said if for whatever reason these current GMs haven't been keeping track of the league, draft, cap etc.....well they at least have a slew of information to pour over from the current Hawks regime. That is entirely doubtful though and if a hire is that uninformed and incompetent then a month isn't really going to make a difference.

You could say it's a mixture then, but a few #2 guys haven't really been the de facto guy. Regardless of status, I'm sure they are all involved with things that are going on around the league, but they don't have a feel for our coach, and what the owner wants. As you said, the owner isn't going to give complete, 100% control to the GM. So whoever is the guy, I would like for him to have some time to have an understanding of what is really wanted and needed from everyone in the organization before those periods to add players come. Every move isn't going to be flawless, but an understood move sounds better than one out of left field.

MaceCase wrote:Additionally, no owner is ever going to hire a guy to come in and do his own thing. They are going to hire someone whose vision aligns with theirs, they are often allowed their own leeway but the overall direction has to be the same. This was even the case when Ferry was hired and given the "golden ticket", he still reported to Levenson just had an issue reporting to the Gearons...and we see what happened the Hawks' former GM for having an alternative view to Ressler.

I'm not hoping for someone to do their own thing. I just want someone that will give the owner exactly what he wants, but do it right. Again, you may say be patient, which I am patient, but we don't even have a formal of candidates yet. I get it, you don't need a formal list and the right decision can be made at any given time, but it would be nice to know who could potentially be your guy, and who is just smoke. Maybe i'm just anxious to finally have a real GM( :P ) instead of Coach Bud making the decisions.
:P
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#66 » by MaceCase » Sun May 21, 2017 12:10 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Maybe highly touted wasn't what I should have inferred. I guess a more popularly, known retread, who was back in SA at the time. MY personal thoughts, I didn't think Ferry did a bad job in Cleveland, but that's irrelevant and subjective I guess.

Well my statement is more to the sense that there was a lot of skepticism over him particularly by Hawks fans when he was hired and certainly his moves after so experience is kind of moot at times in terms of expectations.

You could say it's a mixture then, but a few #2 guys haven't really been the de facto guy. Regardless of status, I'm sure they are all involved with things that are going on around the league, but they don't have a feel for our coach, and what the owner wants. As you said, the owner isn't going to give complete, 100% control to the GM. So whoever is the guy, I would like for him to have some time to have an understanding of what is really wanted and needed from everyone in the organization before those periods to add players come. Every move isn't going to be flawless, but an understood move sounds better than one out of left field.

Well that's what interviews are for. The company expresses what they are looking for and you make the case for why you'd be perfect for that role/position and if you're interviewing for a job it's also a good idea to familiarize yourself with what exactly it is you're looking to take over. I don't see a situation where a potential hire is oblivious to the system Bud runs, assets, cap, etc. then Bud and Co. aren't oblivious that they are getting a new boss and what's expected of them. Expectations, roles, power, etc. are literally the first thing you're made aware of before you start a job, I don't see where or why they'd be struggling to understand that particularly if they already have experience working in a front office.

I'm not hoping for someone to do their own thing. I just want someone that will give the owner exactly what he wants, but do it right. Again, you may say be patient, which I am patient, but we don't even have a formal of candidates yet. I get it, you don't need a formal list and the right decision can be made at any given time, but it would be nice to know who could potentially be your guy, and who is just smoke. Maybe i'm just anxious to finally have a real GM( :P ) instead of Coach Bud making the decisions.
:P

Well the end of my last post was addressing TB' more because he seems to state that some guy is going to take over and I don't know, show Ressler the ropes, and short of being able to do that no one worth their salt would be interested. That simply isn't how any situation works, no employee walks in and expects the boss to work for them or give them free reign to run the company like it's their own. You apply, accept, and perform a job knowing the expectations, the Hawks situation is not some rare outlier.

But all of this is par for the course though, you cast your net wide, you determine whom you're interested in, whom might be eligible, whom might be interested in you, others outside your list of potential candidates can also express an interest to have their name thrown in the hat, you conduct preliminaries and then you bring guys in for formal interviews. You narrow your selections from there, conduct secondary and tertiary interviews, select and make your offer hoping they accept but you can also be left dissatisfied with your candidates and start the process all over. People need to recognize that this whole process started in earnest barely over 2 weeks ago, there would be even more cause for concern if the list was already whittled down or someone selected.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#67 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:26 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Re: Hawks begin search for new GM
Post#50 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 am

Are the Hawks going to give an interview to Travis Schlenk? He would be my number one choice for Hawks' GM

Travis Schlenk Emerges As Candidate For Hawks' GM Job
The Atlanta Hawks have received permission from the Golden State Warriors to interview Travis Schlenk for their general manager position

This pleases me ...
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,899

Post#68 » by whatisacenter » Sun May 21, 2017 4:38 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Re: Hawks begin search for new GM
Post#50 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 am

Are the Hawks going to give an interview to Travis Schlenk? He would be my number one choice for Hawks' GM

Travis Schlenk Emerges As Candidate For Hawks' GM Job
The Atlanta Hawks have received permission from the Golden State Warriors to interview Travis Schlenk for their general manager position

This pleases me ...

I would hate to lose him and he would be a great addition for the Hawks.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 21, 2017 4:54 pm

^This is the best endorsement I've heard yet.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#70 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 22, 2017 11:34 am

Sources told ESPN that the Hawks have conducted interviews with both Sheppard and Schlenk this week and continue to have interest in ESPN television analyst Chauncey Billups as well as Boston Celtics assistant general manager Mike Zarren as they search for a new lead voice for basketball operations.
ESPN

This pleases me. Of the names I've heard tossed around, my favorites are:

1. Travis Schlenk - GSW
2. Troy Weaver - OKC
3. Mike Zarren - BOS
4. *D Griffin - CLE

*Griffin would top the list, but we are unlikely to poach him from CLE.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Jeff Schultz wrote:Three weeks later, there’s lack of clarity on Hawks’ GM search

It has been three weeks since the Hawks blew up the front office. It’s difficult to tell if they’ve made any progress. Either they have a brilliant plan that’s right on schedule and they’re doing a great job keeping it a secret, or they’re not quite sure who they want or what they want or whether they’re going to hire for one position or two.

The list of names that have been connected to the Hawks’ general manager vacancy includes, but possibly is not limited to, Chauncey Billups, David Griffin, Joe Dumars, Tommy Sheppard, Travis Schlenk, Gersson Rosas, Brandon Williams, Michael Zarren, Brent Barry, Troy Weaver, Neil Olshey, Sam Hinkie, Mark Hughes, Scott Perry, Trajan Langdon...

The Hawks, whose search is headed by majority owner Tony Ressler and partner Grant Hill, are considering current general managers. They’re also looking at former general managers. They’re also considering current assistant GMs who might be strong from a personnel and/or analytics standpoint, but aren’t the best candidates to put on stage. They’re also thinking of others who might be the perfect guy to present to the public, a former NBA star with instant credibility, but have never worked a day in a front office

Ressler has said he would feel comfortable going through the draft without a new general manager in place.

There are too many big-picture decisions that need to be made. Leaving them to the current remaining staff (assistant general manager Jeff Peterson, scouts and advisor Rick Sund) is not ideal. Big-picture decisions without the permanent big-picture guy is not the way to go.
myAJC

Spoiler:
Former Hawk Steve Smith's take on what skills the new GM should have:
Smith acknowledged the difficulty of being a general manager in today’s NBA and noted that the right person must surround themselves with those to assist in the evaluation and development of talent and who have an understanding of the salary cap and analytics. Smith also said the ideal candidate must embrace the city of Atlanta.

“I think, whoever it might be, you have to come here and entrench yourself with the fiber of this city,” Smith said. “I don’t know if the last few general managers have done that. You have to be a part of this city. You have to be here. People have to see you. You have to be visible.”

He also hinted that he might be interested in the post himself. myAJC

Hawks Fans tweet who the next GM should be
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#73 » by ATL Boy » Wed May 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Hawks and Travis Schlenk have entered contract talks according to Woj.

It'll be a great hire by Ressler.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#74 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm

looks like the best choice
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 24, 2017 4:37 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Travis Schlenk has emerged as a frontrunner for the Atlanta Hawks' general manager position.
Schlenk is currently assistant GM of the Golden State Warriors.Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical
RealGM Wiretap

This seems like the one option that pretty much every Hawks fan can get behind.

Kudos to Ressler and Hill.

Now comes the biggest question: How will he and Bud mesh?

NOTE: Someone, anyone, please warn him not to make any weird/inappropriate comments about race. Steer clear, dude. The last couple of GMs had some serious faux pas.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Wednesday morning:

Jeff Schultz wrote:Three weeks later, there’s lack of clarity on Hawks’ GM search

It has been three weeks since the Hawks blew up the front office. It’s difficult to tell if they’ve made any progress. Either they have a brilliant plan that’s right on schedule and they’re doing a great job keeping it a secret...

Wednesday afternoon:
Jeff Schultz wrote:Could Warriors’ Schlenk go from NBA finals to Hawks’ GM job?

Schlenk has been around a winning championship environment and some smart basketball people.

Schlenk has a varied background, having done some coaching, then later worked in basketball operations for the Orlando Magic, video coordinator for the Miami Heat and five years as an assistant coach and video coordinator for Golden State before moving into the Warriors’ front office. This is his fifth season as Golden State’s assistant general manager.

The Hawks also want to be able to hire a general manager who can deal with coach Mike Budenholzer and be able to make difficult decisions, should the two parties be on opposite sides of personnel issues. That became a problem in the Budenholzer-Wes Wilcox relationship. Budenholzer has since lost his team president title and Wilcox was moved from general manager to a non-descript advisory role.
myAJC

The secret is out!!!

and I am ecstatic. This guy's background sounds extensive, and diverse and exactly what we need around here.

Let's Make The Hawks Great (Again?)
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,927

Post#77 » by jayu70 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#78 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Hope he's calling the Basketball shots. His job, let him do it.

We should know how things are going to go very quickly with all the huge decisions coming this offseason.

Nice job by Ressler, hope he lets the basketball people do their job.

Also hope Sclenk can throw out a rebuilding plan that Bud and Ressler can get behind.

Sclenk...great name
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,927

Post#79 » by jayu70 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 pm

MaceCase
General Manager

Post#80 » by MaceCase » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Schultz really showed his ass today.