5 year plan

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: 5 year plan 

Post#41 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm

macd-gm wrote:So TS things we will be competitive in 3 years. Who will still be around and a major contributor then?

Yes?: Dennis, Prince, Collins, Dedmon, Dorsey

I don't know: Bembry, Baze, Moose

Doubt it: Delaney, Ersan, Plumlee, Beli

I see Dedmon and Ersan as filler that walk away next offseason.

Prince and Collins are a good bet to be retained.

Beyond that...

Look. We won 60 games two years ago. And only two players remain from that group. It's likely that we'll see massive turnover from this season also.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#43 » by macd-gm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm trying to think of an example of a total tear down like we just saw that returned to being a upper tier team in less than 3 years. I can't really think of one.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Boston?
macd-gm
Starter

Post#45 » by macd-gm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Boston?

True.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#46 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Outlier IMHO. That Nets trade was a circumstance that's not gonna be repeated. It's like looking at Durant-to-GS and thinking that'll be repeated. In actuality, so many non-standard events had to all happen in order to facilitate that.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:58 pm

macd-gm wrote:I'm trying to think of an example of a total tear down like we just saw that returned to being a upper tier team in less than 3 years. I can't really think of one.

Miami circa 2010?

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,927

Post#48 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:06 pm

Portland - traded Batum, let LMA walk, let Wes Mathews walk.

Had Lillard and not much else. CJ mcCullum surprised everyone.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#49 » by macd-gm » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:03 pm

Hmm. I'm not counting Miami. That was a an extremely unusual event not likely to happen in Atlanta. Plus they already had one elite player to attract others. We don't. Plus they were a playoff team the whole time, not tanking.

Portland? Maybe but they didn't let those guys go with the express intent of losing as much as possible for high draft picks. I think they thought they could compete with who they had left and they did.

So neither of these teams tore down to only young guys to deliberately get into the lottery. If anything these cases would be examples of not tanking to improve.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#50 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:54 pm

macd-gm wrote:Hmm. I'm not counting Miami. That was a an extremely unusual event not likely to happen in Atlanta. Plus they already had one elite player to attract others. We don't. Plus they were a playoff team the whole time, not tanking.

Fair enough. But I was counting all the way back to 2008 when they were the worse team in the league. They managed to get back to a middle tier team before Riley dumped any & all assets in an effort to rebuild through Free Agency.

So I guess that rebuild occurred over a 4 year span...

The 2007 Celtics are the best example I can think of.

They went from one of the worst teams in the league to NBA champs in 13 months after trading years worth of accumulated assets for Ray Allen and K Garnett.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:08 pm

I just had a horrifying thought. What if the franchise player we're waiting for...the savior of our franchise we'll draft in the next few years...

is LaMelo Ball?

:confused:
kg01
General Manager

Post#52 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I just had a horrifying thought. What if the franchise player we're waiting for...the savior of our franchise we'll draft in the next few years...

is LaMelo Ball?

Thanks for the nightmares, brolio.

I highly doubt he's Budz or Schlenk's kind of player. I mean, really? Halfcourt shots in-game? Cherry-picking? SMDH
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:13 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I just had a horrifying thought. What if the franchise player we're waiting for...the savior of our franchise we'll draft in the next few years...

is LaMelo Ball?

I highly doubt he's Budz or Schlenk's kind of player. I mean, really? Halfcourt shots in-game? Cherry-picking? SMDH

I'm not advocating for the kid or defending that ridiculous family.

But to be fair...that's bad coaching for a 15 year old. Who knows what he'll be as a 19 year old. He clearly has talent and size...things Schlenk seems to like.
kg01
General Manager

Post#54 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

is LaMelo Ball?

But to be fair...that's bad coaching for a 15 year old. Who knows what he'll be as a 19 year old. He clearly has talent and size...things Schlenk seems to like.

Yeah, I know you were just joking. The nightmares were real tho. :(

Agree it's bad coaching, slightly disagree on talent-level. I think he's a legit D1 prospect but will be in for a rude awakening at UCLA. IMHO, if he makes the league, it'll be a name vs game ratio something like 45/55. JMHO
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#55 » by Spud2nique » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:33 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Yeah, I know you were just joking. The nightmares were real tho. :(

Agree it's bad coaching, slightly disagree on talent-level. I think he's a legit D1 prospect but will be in for a rude awakening at UCLA. IMHO, if he makes the league, it'll be a name vs game ratio something like 45/55. JMHO

The question is, will there be a larger separation of talent between Lonzo and LaMelo or between Stephen and Seth? Or Nique and Gerald? Or Horace and Harvey? Or Jeff and Marquis?....:-|
macd-gm
Starter

Post#56 » by macd-gm » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:Hmm. I'm not counting Miami. That was a an extremely unusual event not likely to happen in Atlanta. Plus they already had one elite player to attract others. We don't. Plus they were a playoff team the whole time, not tanking.

Fair enough. But I was counting all the way back to 2008 when they were the worse team in the league. They managed to get back to a middle tier team before Riley dumped any & all assets in an effort to rebuild through Free Agency.

So I guess that rebuild occurred over a 4 year span...

The 2007 Celtics are the best example I can think of.

They went from one of the worst teams in the league to NBA champs in 13 months after trading years worth of accumulated assets for Ray Allen and K Garnett.

I was thinking the current celtics. They got rid of Pierce and Garnett and pretty much sank down to just young guys and returned to respectability and tops in the conference pretty quickly.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:34 pm

macd-gm wrote:I was thinking the current celtics. They got rid of Pierce and Garnett and pretty much sank down to just young guys and returned to respectability and tops in the conference pretty quickly.

Yeah. That sounds about right.

(I still drool over the haul we could have gotten had we traded any of Teague/Millsap/Horford at trade deadline 2016.)
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#58 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Aug 1, 2017 5:56 pm

Do we count the Sonics/Thunder run after Ray Allen/Rashard Lewis? Took them essentially 3 years after they traded Ray and let Lewis walked. I mean if we're going by the philosophy of having no impact veterans and relying on young talent, then Seattle/OKC were pretty much leaning on Durant and Green after losing their 2 best players in Ray and Lewis.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#59 » by BfB » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:35 am

kg01 wrote:

Outlier IMHO. That Nets trade was a circumstance that's not gonna be repeated. It's like looking at Durant-to-GS and thinking that'll be repeated. In actuality, so many non-standard events had to all happen in order to facilitate that.

But Boston did not use any of the assets of the BKN trade to build their current core - none of the draftees have been major contributors outside of Smart, (their own pick) and they didn't trade anything from the deal either.

It can be done and ATL is in a good position to do it. Clean up the books years 1 and 2 while getting a couple top 10 picks, develop youth around solid vets and spin 'em off in trades for better assets as opportunity arises.

Hopefully Collins pops this year, but the rest of the youth also have enough upside to garner attention from other teams looking to deal.

Next couple years is a great year to have a top 10 selection. Then move guys you need to in order to clear cap - plenty of room to keep 3-4 key guys on smart, cap friendly deals to show FA's you've got a solid core brewing.

FYI - Dedmon will play himself into a valuable deadline asset, if there's anything worth buying.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#60 » by D21 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:44 am

macd-gm wrote:I was thinking the current celtics. They got rid of Pierce and Garnett and pretty much sank down to just young guys and returned to respectability and tops in the conference pretty quickly.

The difference is BOS got good picks for Pierce and Garnett with cap relief, while ATL got only a HOU pick (HOU is porjected at 2nd in Western Conference...) from Millsap and Horford.
So it won't work the same.
When you know you have picks coming, you can take more risk (like signing Horford to Max even if he's worth a bit less, signing Hayward to Max even if he's also worth a bit less...) because you can still trade later, while getting young players with the picks.

Return to Atlanta Hawks