Hawks 2023 Rotations and Lineups

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,524

Re: Hawks 2023 Rotations and Lineups 

Post#121 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:26 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:That said, I still contend we probably need to see more lineups with Bey at the 3, and OO at the 4. Hunter just doesn't impact the game unless he's hot, and in that case, he's an overpaid bench player.

If only it was Hunter that was traded and not Huerter. A Bogi/Huerter combo off the bench would do wonders for us.

I have a theory that if Hunter played alongside an elite frontcourt scorer/creator like Jokic or LeBron or even Giannis, he'd be a perfect fit.

But his slow, deliberate, unathletic style of play does not mesh well with the fast, frenetic pace that Trae Young excels at. (He isn't a rim runner, isn't a knockdown shooter, isn't a lob catcher, isn't a lockdown defender, isn't a secondary creator)
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 982

Post#122 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:That said, I still contend we probably need to see more lineups with Bey at the 3, and OO at the 4. Hunter just doesn't impact the game unless he's hot, and in that case, he's an overpaid bench player.

If only it was Hunter that was traded and not Huerter. A Bogi/Huerter combo off the bench would do wonders for us.

But his slow, deliberate, unathletic style of play does not mesh well with the fast, frenetic pace that Trae Young excels at. (He isn't a rim runner, isn't a knockdown shooter, isn't a lob catcher, isn't a lockdown defender, isn't a secondary creator)

Exactly. Hunter just doesn't excel at anything and it is better suited coming off the bench. Unfortunately at his price tag, that'd be a waste.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,947

Post#123 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Exactly. Hunter just doesn't excel at anything and it is better suited coming off the bench. Unfortunately at his price tag, that'd be a waste.

I get the money part, but we signed Gallo as a FA for $20 mil to come off the bench. And this was when the salary cap was lower. Bogi is at $18 mil coming off the bench.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 982

Post#124 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Dec 1, 2023 3:15 am

jayu70 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I get the money part, but we signed Gallo as a FA for $20 mil to come off the bench. And this was when the salary cap was lower. Bogi is at $18 mil coming off the bench.

We splurged a bit on Gallo, but Gallo was a legit scoring punch off the bench who could shoot. Bogi is about the same, and he's actually going to cost less and less, while Hunter will continue add salary(marginal difference of course).

Hunter is an inconsistent(maybe even just streaky) shooter, with mediocre scoring ability. Waste is probably too harsh, but he's not giving us a ton of upside to justify the dollar amount when Bogi and even OO are getting paid less, but give us something useful most nights. There's nights where Hunter might as well be invisible.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#125 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Dec 1, 2023 12:23 pm

DH is too good to come off the bench and doing so would damage his value in the eyes of GMs. His numbers are near identical to OG who people view as near max guy.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#126 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:47 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I don't miss JC but we do need more from the front-court. I think the question with JJ should be does he need to be our starting SF? I would be looking to move Hunter / Capela / Bey for a solid front-court upgrade. Maybe get Murray into a deal to a PG needy team and start a bigger and better shooting SG next to Trae.

This team has a ton of talent, but the pieces just don't fit well

Agree it isn't a great fit between pieces.

Take a look at the NET Ratings for our top used lineups and tell me what stands out:

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?slug=advanced&DateTo=&TeamID=1610612737&GroupQuantity=5

For me -- Saddiq Bey and Jalen Johnson need to share the court more. They are fire whether playing alongside Capela or Okongwu.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#127 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:I don't miss JC but we do need more from the front-court. I think the question with JJ should be does he need to be our starting SF? I would be looking to move Hunter / Capela / Bey for a solid front-court upgrade. Maybe get Murray into a deal to a PG needy team and start a bigger and better shooting SG next to Trae.

This team has a ton of talent, but the pieces just don't fit well

Agree it isn't a great fit between pieces.

Take a look at the NET Ratings for our top used lineups and tell me what stands out:

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?slug=advanced&DateTo=&TeamID=1610612737&GroupQuantity=5

For me -- Saddiq Bey and Jalen Johnson need to share the court more. They are fire whether playing alongside Capela or Okongwu.

Net rating doesn't seem to like CC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#128 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:03 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Net rating doesn't seem to like CC

Bingo.

And that matches the eye test IMO. Capela's still our most dependable, consistent interior defender and rebounder, but his offensive limitations are really highlighted in Quin's offense.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#129 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:04 am

Let them start together on Friday then...

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#130 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:55 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Let them start together on Friday then...

Read on Twitter

Quin should have started them in the 2nd half of this game. They both had zero fouls.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:29 am

Read on Twitter
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#132 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:08 pm

The OO-CC line up should be the base frontcourt until JJ comes back fully healthy and/or until the deadline yields whatever it will. That with Hunter in there with the zone should be the base defense...

You then get the firepower of Bey and Bogi off the bench and season survives until the roster settles into what it will after Feb.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#133 » by jayu70 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:47 pm

Hawks should take a flyer on Kai Jones. They could use a bouncy, athletic and a lil bit crazy big.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#134 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:40 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#135 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:37 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#136 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:49 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#137 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:09 pm

Lineups and Net Ratings for the Miami and Memphis games

The biggest red flag is the dreadful play of the starting 5. Starting Garrison Mathews was a gamble that did not pay off.

Notably, the lineup featuring:

1. Trae
  2. DeJounte
  3. Bogdanovic
  4. Saddiq
  5. Capela

dominated their minutes together with a +25 across both games. That should have been the starting five.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#138 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:17 pm

With Hunter out injured for the foreseeable future, looks like we'll actually get to see plenty of that Capela/Jalen/Bey frontcourt moving forward.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#139 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:For me -- Saddiq Bey and Jalen Johnson need to share the court more. They are fire whether playing alongside Capela or Okongwu.

We finally got to see a starting 5 of Capela - Jalen - Saddiq - DeJounte - Trae.

The advanced numbers are pretty bad.
NET RATING of -21 with an atrocius Offensive Rating.

All of the offensive numbers with Jalen on the court were awful.

It being his first game back, we'll likely need to give it more time to get a better feel.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#140 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:26 pm

If Dejounte gets moved in trade, does Bogdanovic deserve a shot at starting SG?

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks