ImageImage

Hawks Restructure Front Office

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Re: Hawks Restructure Front Office 

Post#21 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:31 pm

What a dumpster fire. Hawks are just a plaything.
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=EZVG7KN60Qbhslm2MO4Olw
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=su2EY-0FfG_xmdtxFp0MmQ
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,615

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:19 pm

Thanks for posting, Jayu.

This is the expose I've been waiting for since the announcement last month.

It's disheartening that all that knowledge and seniority affiliated with the Warriors Dynasty has been replaced by folks with little to no experience in running a professional sports franchise.

Code: Select all

the Hawks also dismissed three long-tenured and widely-respected talent evaluators in senior adviser Rod Higgins, director of pro scouting Stephen Giles and Vice President of Player Personnel Derek Pierce.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:What a dumpster fire. Hawks are just a plaything.

My fear is that Landry is (unintentionally) being setup to fail.

Being promoted too highly and too quickly will inevitably lead to some rocky transitions.

And there isn't a grownup onboard to prop him up if he stumbles.

The obvious question now: whose idea was it to bring in Landry Fields in the 1st place as Asst GM and then to promote him?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#24 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:What a dumpster fire. Hawks are just a plaything.

My fear is that Landry is (unintentionally) being setup to fail.

Being promoted too highly and too quickly will inevitably lead to some rocky transitions.

And there isn't a grownup onboard to prop him up if he stumbles.

The obvious question now: whose idea was it to bring in Landry Fields in the 1st place as Asst GM and then to promote him?

This all books yo Nick Ressler.
He hiring his friends, Landry is hiring his college roommate as leas scout.
So much experience has been lost.
This will either epicly fail or surprise us.
A rough few months ahead.
GMs around the league probably licking their chops at taking advantage of a young and inexperienced front office.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,050

Post#25 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:07 pm

I am 100% against everything that is happening in Hawks Fo/ownership. Sometimes you just know that your team is headed for a face-plant and even though you're a fan you kind of can't wait for it to happen because eventually this mess must be removed

Ressler is reminding me of George Santos. The level of deceit, dis-honesty and manipulating is off the charts
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,543

Post#26 » by dms269 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:14 pm

Nick is basically paying 2k in real life with daddy's money

Must be nice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#27 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:43 pm

This is the worst that I've felt about the Hawks like ever. Worse than Ferry and ASG fiasco. Worse than letting Horford and Sap leave in consecutive years. Worse than BK and whoever was GM blowing a years long rebuild. Worse than trading Nique.

It's bad now, but it's about to get much worse
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#28 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:47 pm

I'm generally pro Schlenk but he's made some poor decisions along the way. Him trying to find vets/coaches to baby sit the younger guys, and overpaying his pet projects like Hunter and Collins is not doing the team any favors.

I like what OO brings to the team, but he's not fit to be the long term starter unless he take steps on offense. It's too many long, skilled bigs coming into the league that can simply engulf him rn.

They are built very close to being a tax payer but hardly playoff contenders two years running. The team has hit a wall, I don't blame Ressler not paying the tax just to barely get the sixth seed... I don't mind young talent in the front office like Fields and Korver. If this is what it takes to build around Trae correctly than I'm for it. All of this does seem like a failure waiting to happen, but I can give them the opportunity to make transactions through the off season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:50 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:This is the worst that I've felt about the Hawks like ever. It's bad now, but it's about to get much worse.

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty low myself. Especially with the draft picks we owe in the future. if this gambit blows up in our face, we're basically irrelevant for the near future.

Even if I questioned the Luka/Trae trade, I had faith in Travis to mold us into contenders with that great GSW brain trust at his disposal.

But if Tony R has us cutting salary and Nick R is moving assets in a win-now gambit -- and Landry Fields is filling the Front Office with dudes with no Front Office experience...

It's really hard to have faith that we're headed in the right direction.

The one saving grace: Schlenk left us with a solid roster. If we can nail the Head Coach hire, we can still salvage this mess. But what credible coaching prospect would want to walk into this mess?

leo7
Junior
And1: 191

Post#30 » by leo7 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:33 pm

Is it too late to tank right now lol. Maybe hawks front office should start resting some players.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#31 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:36 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:This is the worst that I've felt about the Hawks like ever. Worse than Ferry and ASG fiasco. Worse than letting Horford and Sap leave in consecutive years. Worse than BK and whoever was GM blowing a years long rebuild. Worse than trading Nique.

Can't agree on the ASG fiasco stuff. That was downright terrible.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#32 » by jayu70 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:28 am

Koonin 92.9 the Game weekly interview today:

https://omny.fm/shows/dukes-bell/steve-koonin-addresses-article-on-front-office-tur

Synopsis on Front Office:

Article is accurate.
Somethings are true, somethings are not.
Is it ideal - No
Tremendous confidence in Landry and who they are bringing in
He noted he went off on the report about Nate potentially leaving since that was not true, but he cannot say the same about Amick's article - Lots of accuracy in the article
Schlenk not involved in the day to day
Trade deadline is coming up expect the Hawks to be active (brace yourself for lots of rumors), making a trade to improve the team to make it better to get into the playoffs.
On players name in trade rumors - it's not helpful to chemistry. On the DJ we paid too much for him - it can't make him feel good, but on the other hand they believe he is a high high quality player.
We are marching with a different voice. Travis' voice is different from Landry's.
Landy is a very collaborative guy, we want to be more player centric, more collaborative to create that culture that leads to winning championships - we have a lot of work to do.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#33 » by azuresou1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:47 am

This whole mess is a **** embarrassment. Travis was not perfect and if we're being real the Luka-Trae thing has sent us on a whole 'nother timeline, but he at least had consistent generally sound logic and was able to steer us into becoming a young playoff team with a very high ceiling and lots of roster flexibility.

I have almost never seen nepotism work out - in the very best of cases you have a family business where Jr. needs to prove himself out in the public arena before coming home to run the shop. This is not one of those cases, and it portends **** disaster.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#34 » by D21 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:32 am

CP War Hawks wrote:I'm generally pro Schlenk but he's made some poor decisions along the way. Him trying to find vets/coaches to baby sit the younger guys, and overpaying his pet projects like Hunter and Collins is not doing the team any favors.

I like what OO brings to the team, but he's not fit to be the long term starter unless he take steps on offense. It's too many long, skilled bigs coming into the league that can simply engulf him rn.

They are built very close to being a tax payer but hardly playoff contenders two years running. The team has hit a wall, I don't blame Ressler not paying the tax just to barely get the sixth seed... I don't mind young talent in the front office like Fields and Korver. If this is what it takes to build around Trae correctly than I'm for it. All of this does seem like a failure waiting to happen, but I can give them the opportunity to make transactions through the off season.

Lots of things to react to, but I will use your post to try to balance some things:

- regarding coach choice, I agree that he made a mistake, especially extending Nate for so many years.
- regarding players contract, I'm not agreeing because: no contract on this team are bad, they were good (Huerter) to average (Collins). Yes I see Collins has averages, because we all saw he can gives 20/10 a night while defending enough, and a player like that at 25M/year with Salary Cap increasing each year and a lot more soon, is not a bad contract.
What I don't like is that Collins should have been signed for 110 instead of 125 before entering F.A. (he had 90/4 so 22.5 a year, and got in the end 125/5 so 25. I would have offer 110/5 after the 90/4 instantly, because the 100M threshold is certainly a psychologic barrier, and he was "allowed" to ask for more because of his individual stats after playing, like Trae, in a "empty team", which could be avoided.

More important, thee contracts should not have been a problem in a franchise where the owner was ready to pay the Luxury tax to be a contender, not just saying he's ready.
If Ressler hadn't say that, maybe Schleck would not have agree to these contracts.

The problem I see with Fields is that it doesn't look like his real idea to trade for Murray, but being pushed by Nick Ressler, and if you add that Nick Ressler is supposed to be close to Trae, it is easy to imagine that this Murray just came from Trae asking for another ball handler after the MIA series, talking about that with Nick Ressler, who asked it to Fields.

Trae is also supposed to want Capela staying here absolutely, I hope it's not because Capela is nothing offensively without Trae feeding him, and not asking for a lot of shots or a different role (Collins...)

It's only some possibilities, but I can't ignore there's a great chance that it's all due to Nick Ressler+Trae, more than Nick Ressler only.

In the end, I was fearing after the MIA series they would overreact, and they did it, but I would never have expected that one of the main guy in this case would have been the 27 (certainly 26 last summer) years old son of the owner.

This team needs a C that can shoot 3s, I won't change my view on it, to have the possibility to play both PF and C able to shoot 3s (not the whole game, but when you need). They need shooters to spread the floor and make things easier for Trae... and they needed a better coach.
And this was not impossible to get, but not if you want to stay below the Tax threshold.

And no, John Collins who is in all the best lineups of ATL (and among the best lineups of the league), more than any other ATL players, they want to trade him... after trading Huerter just to save money.
This is purely incompetence at high level. No, it's a young front office that want only players they signed themselves and not signed by the previous guy (except the franchise Star), and it's an ego problem.

It's a mess like I've never thought it would be
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#35 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:11 am

jayu70 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:This is the worst that I've felt about the Hawks like ever. Worse than Ferry and ASG fiasco. Worse than letting Horford and Sap leave in consecutive years. Worse than BK and whoever was GM blowing a years long rebuild. Worse than trading Nique.

Can't agree on the ASG fiasco stuff. That was downright terrible.

Yes and no. ASG and Ferry was worse PR wise and I had confidense in Ferry, but the no comes in the fact that this crap storm is about to waste the most talent the Hawks have ever had. In my book that makes it more disappointing
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 995

Post#36 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:46 pm

This certainly went up another notch from what I was expecting. Lots of drama and politics going on. Not sure what to expect, but it's clear Schlenk and Ressler haven't been on the same page for a while now.

Hard to judge what's going on currently in the FO. On one hand, you could say Sclenk at least represented stability and flexibility for the team, with plenty of experience around him to maintain that. On the other, it seems like Ressler wanted more than that and it's apparent with him making statements like not wanting to settle for running things back, and never doing something like that again.

I think it's okay for Ressler to want more, but he's sacking all of the experience for a youth movement in the front office. I'm trying to find a way to make sense of why, but I guess he wants a cohesive group making decisions together and not divided, and the younger group, with Nick leading the way, is more in line with where Tony wants to go. I did see something suggesting the team would find some experience to add to the mix. So maybe it eventually pans out.

I'm curious to know whether or not the rest of the year will be about finding the type of players the current FO wants around Trae and letting Nate basically ride the year out and forcefully resign/retire due to the mass turnover and realignment of the entire organization.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:38 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#38 » by jayu70 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know that the Hawks have a blueprint anymore, let alone a warriors one. More like tracing paper.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,543

Post#39 » by dms269 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know that the Hawks have a blueprint anymore, let alone a warriors one. More like tracing paper.
More like a coloring book page.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM

Post#40 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:01 pm

Don't be that guy Trae....Be and do Better!
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=IM2JRhzJo_dcvlhGptPqfQ

Return to Atlanta Hawks