ImageImage

Hot Topic: Did Travis Schlenk push to trade Trae Young last year?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,670

Hot Topic: Did Travis Schlenk push to trade Trae Young last year? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:51 pm

Atlanta Hawks have considered trading Trae Young, per report

The Atlanta Hawks are a team in turmoil, at least according to an article that was published by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Monday morning.

In the last month, the franchise has had negative reports emerge about the status of its head coach, its star player, its general manager, and more.

But the idea that Atlanta could trade its star point guard was reportedly broached and quickly became a serious point of contention between former general manager Travis Schlenk and team owner Tony Ressler. Chris Vivlamore, the sports editor of The AJC and the co-author of the piece, joined Mark Zinno on Monday afternoon to discuss.

"Here's what I can tell you from multiple sources," Vivlamore told Zinno and 92.9 the Game on Monday afternoon about a potential deal. "I don't know if it goes anywhere, but that has been discussed."
92.9 The Game
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Hot Topic: Did Travis Schlenk push to trade Trae Young last year? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:54 pm

Holy carp...

Probably all stems from Trae's selfish behavior and poor leadership. The Miami plane issue is a pretty big deal. Just a complete lack of accountability.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:02 pm

From 2018:

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,999

Post#4 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:09 pm

Posted this yesterday in the front office shuffle thread.
He has to be better than this.
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=xXLkU_pr_xNPfeXLhLbSbA

I have surmised that him not showing up for that game that Schlenk and Nate wanted to fine him but Ressler and Landry did not.
If you read the Field's quote about the 'tit for tat' fining guys but instead trying to work it out differently.
Like you can do the whole approach about like retribution, and tit for tat. And so you broke this rule, you get fined. For us, relationship being one of our key values, yeah you can fine guys all day long. But like, ultimately, you want to go to a person and enter into what I call healthy conflict, and say, like, ‘Hey, this is what’s happened. This is the relationship that’s gotten fractured for that. We want to help you restore that relationship.’ But I don’t want to say, ‘hey, go, apologize.’ Let me help you right now understand that it’s all connected. Everything you do, doesn’t happen in a vacuum. It’s going to impact every single person on this roster, in this building. So when you do something that goes against any relationship, healthy relationship, you’re going to have to do some restoration.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:20 pm

Trae seems to be sensitive like many young stars are. He needs to hold himself accountable when necessary, and realize Travis believed in him, which is why we made the trade with Dallas.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,549

Post#6 » by dms269 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:31 pm

As a teacher, I am seeing a lot of similarities in the way that education has shifted. Schlenk seems to be old school. You do something you aren't supposed to, you get punished. Fields (Ressler) is more new school with the ides that you do something you aren't supposed to, they try and find out "why" and talk about how you hurt others by what you did.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,876

Post#7 » by DirtybirdGA » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Trae with David Ruffin syndrome.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#8 » by D21 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:57 pm

dms269 wrote:As a teacher, I am seeing a lot of similarities in the way that education has shifted. Schlenk seems to be old school. You do something you aren't supposed to, you get punished. Fields (Ressler) is more new school with the ides that you do something you aren't supposed to, they try and find out "why" and talk about how you hurt others by what you did.

You're perfectly right, but fact is Trae was no more in school, and signed a contract with a team paying him an indecent amount for most people, and that regarding this contract and the team, he has some rules to follow.
In this context, I'd be more "fine and talk", than "only fine" or "only talk"

The more details we get, the more I'm questioning if it's the real Fields mentality, or if it's just some opposite POV of Schlenck he decided to use because they would match more what Ressler thought (not fining Trae), and get Schlenck's job.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,460

Post#9 » by KL78192020 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:17 pm

I'm not a Hawks fan, but just looking in from the outside. Why would the Hawks want to trade anyone? I think missing Capela was a big loss the last few weeks. Feel like the Hawks just need time to gel. Collins is also a career 36% shooter from 3, hes having an off year but hes a good fit next to Capela at the PF spot.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:30 pm

KL78192020 wrote:I'm not a Hawks fun, but just looking in from the outside. Why would the Hawks want to anyone, I think missing Capela was a big loss the last few weeks. Feel like the Hawks just need time to gel. Collins is also a career 36% shooter from 3, hes having an off year but hes a good fit next to Capela at the PF spot.

I get the feeling some of these dudes are honestly just tired of each other.
Tired of the front office jerking them around.
Tired of the coaching staff playing outdated schemes.

I agree that, with health, the Hawks will likely stabilize and make the play-in pretty easily.

But it just isn't a fun, healthy work atmosphere right now.

NOTE: I don't really get why the team has been trying to get rid of Collins so frequently. It really boggles the mind.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#11 » by KL78192020 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:I'm not a Hawks fan, but just looking in from the outside. Why would the Hawks want to trade anyone, I think missing Capela was a big loss the last few weeks. Feel like the Hawks just need time to gel. Collins is also a career 36% shooter from 3, hes having an off year but hes a good fit next to Capela at the PF spot.

I agree that, with health, the Hawks will likely stabilize and make the play-in pretty easily.

NOTE: I don't really get why the team has been trying to get rid of Collins so frequently. It really boggles the mind.

Wouldn't a coaching change make more sense first? Nets cured their ailes by firing Nash, not sure how Nate is perceived.

Winning cures all and maybe the Hawks go on a run here. I think the team is good enough to make a run at the 6th seed, they have a solid 8/9 man rotation with both Bogi and Capela back just need to stay healthy to start moving up.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,999

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:12 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:I'm not a Hawks fan, but just looking in from the outside. Why would the Hawks want to trade anyone, I think missing Capela was a big loss the last few weeks. Feel like the Hawks just need time to gel. Collins is also a career 36% shooter from 3, hes having an off year but hes a good fit next to Capela at the PF spot.

Wouldn't a coaching change make more sense first? Not, Nets cured their ailes by firing Nash, not sure how Nate is perceived.

Winning cures all and maybe the Hawks go on a run here. I think the team is good enough to make a run at the 6th seed, they have a solid 8/9 man rotation with both Bogi and Capela back just need to stay healthy to start moving up.

Most Hawks fans would like a change. Nate's rigidity to his rotations and lack of offensive creativity is stifling the team. The Starters have played well when all available to play, what happens is the bench is weak so if a starter is out, there is a trickle down effect. Our bench consists of AJ Griffin (SF and 19), Jalen Johnson (PF and 21), Onyeka (C and 22), that's a lot of youth filling in when we have injuries, but they are developing and playing well for the most part. They are joined by Bogi. That is Nate's 9 man rotation or it should be. But for some reason he tends to bench Johnson for Aaron Holiday which doesn't make sense particularly when we need size on the court.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#13 » by KL78192020 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:29 pm

jayu70 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Wouldn't a coaching change make more sense first? Not, Nets cured their ailes by firing Nash, not sure how Nate is perceived.

Most Hawks fans would like a change. Nate's rigidity to his rotations and lack of offensive creativity is stifling the team. The Starters have played well when all available to play, what happens is the bench is weak so if a starter is out, there is a trickle down effect. Our bench consists of AJ Griffin (SF and 19), Jalen Johnson (PF and 21), Onyeka (C and 22), that's a lot of youth filling in when we have injuries, but they are developing and playing well for the most part. They are joined by Bogi. That is Nate's 9 man rotation or it should be. But for some reason he tends to bench Johnson for Aaron Holiday which doesn't make sense particularly when we need size on the court.

Ya I'd say a coaching change should be made before a roster change. Hawks are still so young, and need time to develop. Everyone is just so impatient these days. Looking at the schedule I think the Hawks can go at least 7-3 in their next 10.

The Hawks core is still still quite young at the league at 11th. Thats including vets in holiday/kaminsky who don't really play.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:43 pm

13 months later, it's the same song all over again...

Return to Atlanta Hawks