Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,547

Re: Hawks acquire Saddiq Bey at the Trade Deadline 

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:15 pm

I like the player, confused by the price, but think he'll be helpful this season and should be a good fit as a stretch-4 next to Capela.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:26 pm

Overheard in GM circles today...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#6 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:32 pm

This looks like a trade just to do a trade. Isn't he expiring and we don't have money to re-sign him. He will not move the needle on this season, but we gave up 5 SRP for him. WHY?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:38 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:This looks like a trade just to do a trade. Isn't he expiring and we don't have money to re-sign him. He will not move the needle on this season, but we gave up 5 SRP for him. WHY?

He is normally a knock down 3-pt shooter and a solid option as a stretch-4.

I suspect he will be the starting PF next to OO or Capela moving forward...as a much cheaper option than Collins.

tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#8 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:This looks like a trade just to do a trade. Isn't he expiring and we don't have money to re-sign him. He will not move the needle on this season, but we gave up 5 SRP for him. WHY?

He is normally a knock down 3-pt shooter and a solid option as a stretch-4.

I suspect he will be the starting PF next to OO or Capela moving forward...as a much cheaper option than Collins.

That would make it even worse. Looks like the only thing that Ressler wants to spend his money on is his son
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter

tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#10 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:49 pm

Dude is 6'7" and 215lbs. You want him to start as PF OMG
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,191

Post#11 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:38 pm

Enjoy Saddiq Bey. Regarding the price, I think with 5 2nd round picks, you generally hope one of them will be a Saddiq Bey-level player. I think it's worth it. The Pistons are the ones who really got screwed with the trade. If we were going to move Bey, why not just cut Golden State out?

Bey is a talented catch and shoot 3-point shooter who has been trying to develop his game and become more. It's not gone well. Maybe he needs those growing pains before becoming the player he thinks he can be, or maybe he should just stay in the role he's good at. Probably the latter. More and more, he tries to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. It rarely turns out well. He's at his best when he can just camp out somewhere, get the ball, and shoot. Hopefully he chooses to do that now that he is playing with more refined playmakers. Also, the attention that Trae Young draws should allow Bey more wide open shots. I expect his 3pt% to improve.

I saw some people on the general board call him a 3 & D. He is not. He just shoots threes. He's not horrendous on D, but he's not average either. Positionwise, he has played power forward in spot minutes, but he shouldn't. He gets bullied. He's best on the wing.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:43 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:Bey is a talented catch and shoot 3-point shooter who has been trying to develop his game and become more. It's not gone well. Maybe he needs those growing pains before becoming the player he thinks he can be, or maybe he should just stay in the role he's good at. Probably the latter. More and more, he tries to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. It rarely turns out well. He's at his best when he can just camp out somewhere, get the ball, and shoot. Hopefully he chooses to do that now that he is playing with more refined playmakers. Also, the attention that Trae Young draws should allow Bey more wide open shots. I expect his 3pt% to improve.

I saw some people on the general board call him a 3 & D. He is not. He just shoots threes. He's not horrendous on D, but he's not average either. Positionwise, he has played power forward in spot minutes, but he shouldn't. He' gets bullied. He's best on the wing.

Great scouting report. Thanks for this.

Do you think Bey will be content letting our two All Star caliber PGs create for him as he camps out in the corner on offense?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:46 pm

Nice move by the Hawks. He's known mostly as a shooter, but his size makes him more valuable on the defensive side than he's given credit for. That 6'8 220ish size allows him to switch on most NBA players.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,191

Post#14 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ElectricMayhem wrote:Bey is a talented catch and shoot 3-point shooter who has been trying to develop his game and become more. It's not gone well. Maybe he needs those growing pains before becoming the player he thinks he can be, or maybe he should just stay in the role he's good at. Probably the latter. More and more, he tries to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. It rarely turns out well. He's at his best when he can just camp out somewhere, get the ball, and shoot. Hopefully he chooses to do that now that he is playing with more refined playmakers. Also, the attention that Trae Young draws should allow Bey more wide open shots. I expect his 3pt% to improve.

I saw some people on the general board call him a 3 & D. He is not. He just shoots threes. He's not horrendous on D, but he's not average either. Positionwise, he has played power forward in spot minutes, but he shouldn't. He' gets bullied. He's best on the wing.

Great scouting report. Thanks for this.

Do you think Bey will be content letting our two All Star caliber PGs create for him as he camps out in the corner on offense?

I don't know. I think he had the green light to try to develop his game because wins and losses were rarely of import. But he was playing like this even at the beginning of the year before Cade went down when there were stated hopes of reaching the playoffs. Hopefully, McMillan well tell him what his role is and he'll listen. Bey's always acted like a professional so I don't see any issue. It's just up to the coach to put know his limits and put him in a position where he can be successful.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:52 pm

Hawks trade grade

Grade: B+

Like in most years, Atlanta was in need of a shake-up. Acquiring Bey qualifies as just that.

This season, Bey is averaging 14.8 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.6 assists through 52 games. A career 35.7 percent 3-point shooter, Bey's shooting has taken a slight downturn since he shot 38.0 percent from beyond the arc as a rookie, but he's more than capable of spacing the floor.

Bey won't turn 24 until the end of the season and brings wing depth to the Hawks' roster.

A mid-first-round pick in 2020, Bey is making just under $3 million this season and will make $4.6 million next season, making him a value addition for Atlanta, which looks to make a late-season run into the East's top six.

The Sporting News
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,104

Post#16 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:52 pm

Hawks are preparing for the off-season when Trae Young demands out. While I'm only assuming I do believe it's going to happen.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,958

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:06 pm

Hopefully in Bey, the Hawks add some scoring punch, a little better defense and some size on the wings for the bench. He should be slotted in at back SF behind Hunter. If he can reliably provide 15 ppg for the shaky bench unit that would be a good thing. Hopefully this reduces some of Bogi's minutes, he's averaging 30 mpg, if he's hot let him play, if he's off he should be on the bench. More AJ, JJ and Bey minutes along with OO and DJ.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:14 pm

Bey has had some very promising moments in the NBA, including a 50-point game last season that was the most surprising performance since Corey Brewer went for 50 roughly a decade ago. He’s had a down season for the Pistons during 2022-23, and the Hawks get a chance to add a quality wing to their rotation and their future. He’s under contract for $4.5 million next season, then he’ll be up for restricted free agency in 2024. There could be an extension in the fall if the two sides come to terms. But the Hawks get a little time with Bey before they decide he’s someone in whom they want to invest.

Bey has a chance to push rookie AJ Griffin and maybe even Bogdan Bogdanović for some extra minutes as the Hawks are reportedly moving Justin Holiday in a trade to Houston. Bey is just over 40 percent as a shot maker, and he’s at 34.5 percent as a 3-point shooter. Those percentages are pretty in line with his career numbers, so he’s more of a high volume shot taker than he is a high-volume scorer, if that makes sense. He won’t need to do as much with the weapons Atlanta has, so fitting in, playing defense and knocking down corner 3-pointers will be his primary role.

I like this move for Atlanta because I think there’s more to Bey’s game than what Detroit offered up. However, the Hawks haven’t been exactly a beacon of consistency.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:20 pm

I don't love the cost, but I'm really digging the acquisition we just made.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks