ImageImage

Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Re: Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season? 

Post#101 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:10 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
I was actually using the Ben Simmons comparison as a compliment...You know, cause he's an All Star, All-NBA, All Defensive Team player.

Jalen's strengths are pushing the ball in transition and play-making off the dribble -- creating for others in the process.

Like a younger Ben Simmons used to.

Eh. Seemed like you shared concerns about him as a floor spacer that would align with complimenting him as well. Recency bias suggest Ben Simmons is only known as a horrific shooter, and not the above you mentioned.

I agree though. Pre-collapse Ben Simmons was a cornerstone piece to any franchise. So if Jalen is even 80% of that, with better shooting, then we've got ourselves a stud star.

I honestly don't even understand what we're talking about any more. :dontknow:

I've been advocating for Ben Simmons to the Hawks for 2 years now.

Ben'ss biggest deficiency is his lack of shooting. Jalen has a game similar to Ben, including the lack of shooting. If JJ is our starting forward, we'll need players who can provide better spacing in the front court. Otherwise teams will play off him and just pack the lane -- the same way Boston did to him during this year's playoff series.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ummm IDK either. Maybe i've been traumautized from seeing a bunch of posts on RealGM only crapping on Ben over the last year or so..lol

I will just say this. I took what you said as if Jalen will more likely be a poor shooter his entire career. I don't think Jalen will continue to shoot as poorly as he has. I'm an advocate of Simmons as well, which is why I agree that Jalen has a lot of qualities that Simmons has. :beer:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,509

Post#102 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:58 pm

If the Hawks were to trade DJM months after he took a sweetheart deal to stay here -- it would be an enormous betrayal.
No player or agent would trust anything from that comes from our front office.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#103 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 9, 2023 3:44 pm

John Collins’ departure presents opportunity for Young Hawks

[T]he Hawks' biggest offseason move involved them trading former first-round pick John Collins to the Utah Jazz. The need to get out of the $78.5 million remaining on Collins' contract was essential in the mind's of those running the organization, which is why Atlanta dumped him in Utah for Rudy Gay...and a future second-round pick.

Collins has been rumored to be on the trade block for years and actually had some suitors ahead of the trade deadline this past season, but brought virtually zero value back to Atlanta. Heading into the 2023-24 season, the Hawks want to not only get back to the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season, but advance past the first-round and prove that they can contend against the best of the best in the conference.

In order to do so, others outside of Murray and Trae Young will need to step up, specifically in terms of replacing Collins at the power forward position.

Who will replace Collins?
Ahead of the trade deadline last season, the Hawks made a move to acquire Saddiq Bey from the Detroit Pistons. A scoring weapon out on the wing who has shown flashes of his three-point shooting potential, Bey is expected to hold a key role that will likely be in Atlanta' starting unit to begin the 2023-24 season.

Both he and De'Andre Hunter can play either forward position and it would make sense for Bey to see his role increase, especially with Quin Snyder having a full offseason to work with this team. When he was with the Jazz, Snyder valued three-point shooting on the wing and during the 2020-21 season, perimeter shooting led Utah to having the best record in the Western Conference.

It is not hard to believe that the Hawks' new coach will look to instill much of the success he found with the Jazz into the principles this team follows. Three-point shooting has been and will continue to be a point of emphasis for the Hawks, hence why Bey will be a key secondary contributor next to the team's All-Star backcourt.

Bey is not the only forward on this team's roster that is expected to see his role increase in light of Collins' departure. Drafted 20th overall in 2021, Jalen Johnson is heading into his third season with the Hawks and is still just 21 years old. An athletic, lengthy forward who has spent most of his time in the league working on his craft, Johnson is definitely next in line to see his minutes increase.

Johnson saw increased playing time after Snyder's arrival, as the young forward became a consistent part of the team's rotations. Many within the organization have been impressed with his growth in such a short time, sources told ClutchPoints, and there is a real belief that JJ could become the team's starting power forward at some point in the next year.

“Jalen is a versatile player that can do a lot. He can handle the ball a little bit, he's big, he's physical and his athleticism definitely stands out,” a team source who was granted anonymity to speak freely told ClutchPoints. “His ability to drive downhill and get to the rim and finish is very special. Obviously JJ is still developing his jump shot, but he definitely has the confidence to score from anywhere. Versatility is something every team looks for nowadays and he certainly fits the mold of being a unique player who can guard multiple positions while being explosive around the rim on the opposite side of the floor.”

Size, athleticism and a knack for finishing around the hoop are the three things that stand out about Johnson's potential in Atlanta's frontcourt. Not to mention, he really showcased his abilities to run the floor in transition this past year. With Young and Murray both having the ability to push the pace of play, Johnson should continue to find success running the floor as a hybrid option for the Hawks.

Mouhamed Gueye is another intriguing name to bring up in these conversations despite Atlanta adding him in the second-round of this year's draft. While he's not expected to be a part of the team's main rotation right away, Gueye possesses impressive length at the power forward position and he has a high understanding for where to be on both ends of the floor. In Summer League, Gueye was very active on both ends of the floor, especially contesting and attempting to block his opponent's shots. It will take time, but the second-round pick could eventually find himself as a key bench contributor in Atlanta.
Clutch Points
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#104 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Yikes!

I guess it's clear where we need the biggest infusion of talent.

(I do hate that we didn't at least take a swing on Cam Whitmore. There are legit concerns there, but it would have been a gamble on an All-NBA caliber wing with a non-lottery pick.)

NBA's Top Wing Trios Ranked

1. Phoenix Suns

2. Boston Celtics

3. Los Angeles Clippers

20. Washington Wizards

21. Detroit Pistons

23. Charlotte Hornets

24. Atlanta Hawks

Atlanta’s top three wings – De'Andre Hunter, Bogdan Bogdanovic and AJ Griffin – are solid, but neither has established himself as consistently reliable. The Hawks would have been helped if this exercise went beyond the top three (they have strong fourth and fifth wings in Saddiq Bey and Jalen Johnson) so they rank a bit lower here than expected.

There will be nights when Atlanta looks super deep, and others when it looks like they need to trade the whole group and start over.
RealGM
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:07 pm

Jalen Johnson vs Saddiq Bey a battle to watch in Hawks training camp

Early money should be on Saddiq Bey to get the first crack at starting at power forward next season. Bey, 24, averaged 11.6 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.2 assists, and shot 40% with Atlanta last season.

The Hawks were 1-5 with Johnson as a starter, though they were missing other key pieces in each of those games. But they also posted a minus-5.1 net rating with Johnson at power forward without Bey on the floor last season, and a plus-18.5 net rating with Bey at power forward and Johnson off instead, per Cleaning The Glass.

It was a small sample size – just 11 regular season games – but Bey's ability to stretch the floor aligns with head coach Quin Snyder’s ethos more closely than Johnson’s on-ball style, especially with Trae Young and Dejounte Murray soaking up plenty of minutes. Snyder’s Utah Jazz teams relied heavily on the three-ball during his tenure.

If there is a rub, it’s this: over the final six games, Bey drew five starts. He averaged 13.2 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, and 1.8 steals but he also shot just 29.6% from beyond the arc in those contests.

Everything was in flux last season so training camp and the preseason could be a time of revelations.

One of those revelations could be that the coaching staff needs to find ways to get the ball into Johnson’s hands more often and let him go to work. If his three-point shot shows real progress, he could put that much more pressure on the competition for the starting power forward spot, be it Bey or another teammate or outsider.
Hawks Fansided
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#106 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:46 pm

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#107 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Sep 3, 2023 9:30 pm

Our starting PF this Fall?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#108 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 6, 2023 7:06 pm

Lineup of Death or just incredibly small sample size?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 8, 2023 12:47 pm

Seeing how well Bogdan played in FIBA, I'm all in favor of moving him to the starting lineup.

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,943

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 2:08 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Seeing how well Bogdan played in FIBA, I'm all in favor of moving him to the starting lineup.

My concern with Bogi has always been the health of knees over 82 games. What I like about Bogi off the bench is he can have more control of the offense in a non Trae lineup.
I'm excited to see Quin unleash him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#111 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 8, 2023 2:26 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Seeing how well Bogdan played in FIBA, I'm all in favor of moving him to the starting lineup.

My concern with Bogi has always been the health of knees over 82 games. What I like about Bogi off the bench is he can have more control of the offense in a non Trae lineup.
I'm excited to see Quin unleash him.

His health is a definite concern, though I'm not sure if bringing him off the bench really alleviates that issue. (30 mpg playing 3 times a week for 6 months is rough -- no matter what.)

I figure that if we can limit Bogdan Bogdan to 55+ games, that will leave ample starts and playing time for AJ and Saddiq to fill up that role at Forward.

But the dude is the most potent offensive weapon on our squad. Making him a starter allows us to get off to quick starts and prevents teams from focusing solely on stopping Trae at the beginning and end of games.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#112 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:23 pm

Which of the players below get snubbed from the rotation?

Will Kobe or Wes Mathews get a shot at regular playing time?

jayu70
RealGM

Post#113 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:08 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Which of the players below get snubbed from the rotation?

Will Kobe or Wes Mathews get a shot at regular playing time?

As a 10-man rotation, as expected. I'm hoping JJ's jumper and 3pt shot is much improved to beat out Bey in the starting lineup. The front court needs a ballhandler/passer particularly if the whole 'Trae off ball' will be a real thing. Gotta have someone who can pass him the ball in scoring position in the front court.

Assuming a 9-man regular season rotation - I think Patty might be the odd one out if we assume the bulk of the ball handling in the 2nd unit goes to DJ and Bogi. I hope DJ is better than he was last season as the PG for the 2nd unit. He didn't do as good a job as I expected.

The 3 bench players that I expect to see the bulk of the minutes are Bogi, JJ and OO.

Regarding OO, this has to be the year he really pushes for more minutes than Capela if he can't wrestle the starting spot from him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#115 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:35 pm

Capela seems like the odd man out.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#117 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:31 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:04 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#119 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:13 pm

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

jayu70
RealGM

Post#120 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

I keep saying, it's time to determine what we have in OO now.

Return to Atlanta Hawks