ImageImage

Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Re: Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season? 

Post#81 » by D21 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:53 am

So if individual stats mean not much, let's see what the team did with and without him, and for other players...
Strangely, in the playoffs, the ones with the good impact are the ones we hear rumors and we see several ATL fans wanting to trade them more than the ones that got negative impact :-?

If it was mainly the bench playing against the other bench... but Hunter/Collins were starters... and Bogi played mainly against opponent starters
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,522

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:34 am

Wow. Impressive efficiency by Bogi. I kinda wish he was starting at SG for us...

I've long wondered what could we do if we just embraced the 2006 'Seven seconds or less' Suns approach and just pushed the ball, attacked the rim, let it fly from deep -- with Trae doing his best Steve Nash impression.

It might not win a title, but I'd be happy with a few 60-win seasons, All NBA awards, and MVP seasons from Young and the Rest...

Hard Truth: I think the Hawks can only win a title with Trae if we have an all-time great offense that no one else can keep up with. It's simply impossible to have a balanced or defense-first approach with a dude who struggles so much defensively.

D21 wrote:One more reason to not trade Bogi (added to him having the best Net rating difference of the team in the last playoffs):
Read on Twitter
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#84 » by D21 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:07 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Wow. Impressive efficiency by Bogi. I kinda wish he was starting at SG for us...

I've long wondered what could we do if we just embraced the 2006 'Seven seconds or less' Suns approach and just pushed the ball, attacked the rim, let it fly from deep -- with Trae doing his best Steve Nash impression.

It might not win a title, but I'd be happy with a few 60-win seasons, All NBA awards, and MVP seasons from Young and the Rest...

Hard Truth: I think the Hawks can only win a title with Trae if we have an all-time great offense that no one else can keep up with. It's simply impossible to have a balanced or defense-first approach with a dude who struggles so much defensively.

D21 wrote:One more reason to not trade Bogi (added to him having the best Net rating difference of the team in the last playoffs):
Read on Twitter

This is at least a model they should have try as Trae has always said Nash was his model, but for that, they at least need one C that can shoot 3s to adjust matchup.
They could play with Stoudemire but also with Diaw as C. The year they tried with Shaq, a slower C playing near the rim like Capela, there was a crazy thing:
they were great with Nash/without Shaq, they were great with Shaq/without Nash, but were dominated with both on the floor

One of the reason MIA stopped Trae one year ago, besides him being limited to play faster with Collins and Capela as they were injured and very limited, was that Nate wanted to much half court plays, giving the opportunity for MIA to set their defense on Trae.

The other model I would try to match would be 2002 SAC because they were quick, passing a lot but were able to increase their defense by stretch, where they were creating/increasing a lead
One more time, they had a C able to shoot 3s, even if it was not a 40% one
But this model would also force Trae to play more differently, reducing a lot his usage

Anyway, if they want to win with Trae, they need something totally different than the system they played these last years, but I'm not sure the roster they are trying to create matches these models above
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:18 am

D21 wrote:One of the reason MIA stopped Trae one year ago, besides him being limited to play faster with Collins and Capela as they were injured and very limited, was that Nate wanted to much half court plays, giving the opportunity for MIA to set their defense on Trae.

YeS!!!!!

And anyone with eyes could see that playing slowly was playing right into Miami's hands...and yet McMillan refused to make the biggest most necessary adjustment

Boggles the mind he had a roster built for flying offense and yet refused to run a high-flying offense. :banghead:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:36 pm

The Weakest Link in Every NBA Team's Starting Lineup

Atlanta Hawks: De'Andre Hunter

Projected Starters: Trae Young, Dejounte Murray, De'Andre Hunter, Saddiq Bey (?) and Clint Capela

If Hunter is going to have a breakout, it feels like it needs to happen soon.

Dunks and Threes' estimated plus-minus (one of the most trusted catch-all metrics in NBA front offices) has pegged Hunter as a below-average player in three of his four seasons (with the lone above-zero season coming in 2020-21).

He's a slightly below-average three-point shooter for his career, and there just aren't many contributions (at least ones measured by the box score) beyond that.

If he was playing at or near All-Defense level on the other end of the floor, lack of rebounding, passing and scoring efficiency wouldn't be as big a deal, but he's not doing that either.

Without some steps forward in any of the above categories in 2023-24, he'll likely be the weak link in this starting five.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#88 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been crying for an upgrade for years. Just someone t hat can actually make a play off of what Trae initiates besides a PnR lob.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,947

Post#89 » by jayu70 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:19 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been crying for an upgrade for years. Just someone t hat can actually make a play off of what Trae initiates besides a PnR lob.

JJ at the 4 would help.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:43 am

jayu70 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

JJ at the 4 would help.

That's my hope at this point. I think he's bound for a leap this year.
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by D21 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:03 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:

JJ at the 4 would help.

Most chances are that he's not as long as Capela is here, like it was the case with Collins.
Capela is a great defender, but on offense, even if efficient by himself, he will reduce other PF opportunities.
As he can only plays near to the rim, he will always reduce opportunities for the PF players, always

One of only things that JJ can bring is that he looks like a better passer than Collins, like what they are searching in Siakam, but it won't be as efficient as it can be when your C is always in the paint
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#92 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:32 pm

D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:JJ at the 4 would help.

Most chances are that he's not as long as Capela is here, like it was the case with Collins.
Capela is a great defender, but on offense, even if efficient by himself, he will reduce other PF opportunities.
As he can only plays near to the rim, he will always reduce opportunities for the PF players, always

One of only things that JJ can bring is that he looks like a better passer than Collins, like what they are searching in Siakam, but it won't be as efficient as it can be when your C is always in the paint

I...have the same concerns regarding JJ. Long-term, he's likely a starting caliber player in this league. But he isn't a floor spacer at the 3 or 4, meaning he needs to play next to stretch big men to be effective on offense.

He basically projects as a mini Ben Simmons. If he can get a mid range jumper, he's easily a starter. If he gets a consistent 3-ball to where he can knockdown 36% of his deep shots -- he's an All Star caliber player.

But those are some big 'ifs'.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:That's my hope at this point. I think he's bound for a leap this year.

I...have the same concerns regarding JJ. Long-term, he's likely a starting caliber player in this league. But he isn't a floor spacer at the 3 or 4, meaning he needs to play next to stretch big men to be effective on offense.

He basically projects as a mini Ben Simmons. If he can get a mid range jumper, he's easily a starter. If he gets a consistent 3-ball to where he can knockdown 36% of his deep shots -- he's an All Star caliber player.

But those are some big 'ifs'.

I think we're looking at this too mundane and not outwardly viewing the kind of talent JJ is. On the surface, JJ isn't the best shooter for sure. The thing is, he's shown flashes that his talent can reach the upper limits of what his top prospect status garnered.

If JJ is going to be an impact player, it's going to be because his talent is just that good. Not because he didn't have a stretch 5 next to him. If he needs a stretch 5 to be successful as a player, then he was never that good to begin with. I say that because Giannis was Giannis before Lopez arrived.

Concerns of JJ not having success as a player due to Capela is simply disregarding the fact that JJ was a top prospect in the nation coming out of HS and only dropped in the draft because of character concerns coming out of Duke since he didn't play the whole season because of that.

I think you're stretching how bad a shooter JJ is also. Still only 21, and not been given a ton of volume to begin with. I would hold on calling him one of the worst shooters in the league considering Simmons just refuses to shoot anyway. JJ is at least willing. He just needs the opportunity. Especially when JJ looks to attack closeouts towards the rim vs forcing a 3.

I understand players/prospects have limitations, but the question that should be asked is whether or not a player can improve or is it a full blown conclusion that they can't and if they do, it will only be marginal at best. I for one think JJ can definitely improve his shot to become league average. Maybe never get to elite shooter, but he obviously doesn't have to be if everything else is in place from a talent perspective.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:58 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:I would hold on calling him one of the worst shooters in the league considering Simmons just refuses to shoot anyway.

I was actually using the Ben Simmons comparison as a compliment...You know, cause he's an All Star, All-NBA, All Defensive Team player.

Jalen's strengths are pushing the ball in transition and play-making off the dribble -- creating for others in the process.

Like a younger Ben Simmons used to.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#95 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:26 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:26 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#97 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:26 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:I would hold on calling him one of the worst shooters in the league considering Simmons just refuses to shoot anyway.

I was actually using the Ben Simmons comparison as a compliment...You know, cause he's an All Star, All-NBA, All Defensive Team player.

Jalen's strengths are pushing the ball in transition and play-making off the dribble -- creating for others in the process.

Eh. Seemed like you shared concerns about him as a floor spacer that would align with complimenting him as well. Recency bias suggest Ben Simmons is only known as a horrific shooter, and not the above you mentioned.

I agree though. Pre-collapse Ben Simmons was a cornerstone piece to any franchise. So if Jalen is even 80% of that, with better shooting, then we've got ourselves a stud star.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#99 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:53 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Eh. Seemed like you shared concerns about him as a floor spacer that would align with complimenting him as well. Recency bias suggest Ben Simmons is only known as a horrific shooter, and not the above you mentioned.

I agree though. Pre-collapse Ben Simmons was a cornerstone piece to any franchise. So if Jalen is even 80% of that, with better shooting, then we've got ourselves a stud star.

I honestly don't even understand what we're talking about any more. :dontknow:

I've been advocating for Ben Simmons to the Hawks for 2 years now.

Ben'ss biggest deficiency is his lack of shooting. Jalen has a game similar to Ben, including the lack of shooting. If JJ is our starting forward, we'll need players who can provide better spacing in the front court. Otherwise teams will play off him and just pack the lane -- the same way Boston did to him during this year's playoff series.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#100 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I honestly don't even understand what we're talking about any more. :dontknow:

I've been advocating for Ben Simmons to the Hawks for 2 years now.

Ben'ss biggest deficiency is his lack of shooting. Jalen has a game similar to Ben, including the lack of shooting. If JJ is our starting forward, we'll need players who can provide better spacing in the front court. Otherwise teams will play off him and just pack the lane -- the same way Boston did to him during this year's playoff series.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Here's to hoping he has put in the time this offseason working on his 3pt shooting. It's about the next steps in his development since Nate didn't seem to do much with him.
At least he isn't afraid and reluctant to shoot like Simmons.

Return to Atlanta Hawks