ImageImage

Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season?

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,159

Re: Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season? 

Post#41 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Here is what i wrote back on 2021.....

I mean, if we're going back to summer 2021...

There were some obvious concerns even then.

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm sorry, but overpaying mediocre players is not what good organizations do. It doesn't get us closer to a title. It locks us into a core that isn't good enough.

Our secondary players couldn't win a game against a Giannis-less Bucks team...because they weren't good enough.

I'm all for paying top money to top players. But mediocre/secondary players aren't worth overpaying for.

We're not talking about blowing up a roster.

We're talking aggressively looking to improve.

Kevin Huerter and John Collins are good, solid players. But it's clear they aren't the type of players who can help carry us to a championship.

.....But this team isn’t good enough to beat a wounded Milwaukee team and is unlikely to even get past Brooklyn.

TL;DR — Trae’s great. But the rest of these bums need to be upgraded.
Over paying is exactly what we've been doing. OO will be next at around $20m per season. Our payroll numbers don't calculate to the productivity we're seeing out of the product.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Post#42 » by jayu70 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:34 am

Steve Koonin radio interview today, talking Quin and other things:
Highlights:
[  ] Headcoach needs to be head of basketball, he sets the cultural tone, involved in player choices working with LF and KK, but he is the one that connects and communicates with players
[  ] Accelerated schedule after ECF - player development stopped (thanks Nate), but will come back going forward
[  ] Quin coaches with such life, emotion: connecting and teaching. Player feedback is really strong. When he as all his tools we will see continued improvement,  better fundamental basketball going forward.
[  ] LP was brought in for player development, NM was brought in to connect with players. Quin is and can do both.

Full 15 minutes.
https://www.audacy.com/podcast/dukes-bell-0fcb8/episodes/hawks-ceo-steve-koonin-live-at-state-farm-arena-8d522
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,383

Post#43 » by King Ken » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:03 pm

Paying guys market value isn't overpaying. Everyone is paying guys market value. JC was the only one who got well beyond his market value and that was on Trae and Tony and that ECF run to keep the team together and let them grow. Travis didn't want to do that deal.

Our issue is, we need a star next to Trae. There aren't many on the market, in fact, we got one of the best on the market in Murray last year.

1. That player has to want to come to Atlanta and play with Trae

2. We must be able to offer a package that the team approves of

3. We need to do a deal that makes sense as well. Murray wasn't a bad deal but it might have cost more than it was worth looking back at it now.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,620

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:00 am

As much as we've struggled to hit threes this playoff series against BOS, I suspect Hawks may trade the 2023 1st round pick (and DeAndre Hunter?) for Bojan Bogdanovic.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#45 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:42 am

Jamaaliver wrote:As much as we've struggled to hit threes this playoff series against BOS, I suspect Hawks may trade the 2023 1st round pick (and DeAndre Hunter?) for Bojan Bogdanovic.

Read on Twitter

Defense anyone? As much as we've struggled on defense vs Boston we shouldn't get worse.
Have you see Bey play defense this series?
Hunter has been good vs Tatum.
Bojan is also 34.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,415

Post#46 » by babyjax13 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:33 am

jayu70 wrote:Steve Koonin radio interview today, talking Quin and other things:
Highlights:
[  ] Headcoach needs to be head of basketball, he sets the cultural tone, involved in player choices working with LF and KK, but he is the one that connects and communicates with players
[  ] Accelerated schedule after ECF - player development stopped (thanks Nate), but will come back going forward
[  ] Quin coaches with such life, emotion: connecting and teaching. Player feedback is really strong. When he as all his tools we will see continued improvement,  better fundamental basketball going forward.
[  ] LP was brought in for player development, NM was brought in to connect with players. Quin is and can do both.

Full 15 minutes.
https://www.audacy.com/podcast/dukes-bell-0fcb8/episodes/hawks-ceo-steve-koonin-live-at-state-farm-arena-8d522

FWIW Utah just let go of Quin's remaining assistant coaches, Alex Jensen and Irv Roland. Jensen was his head assistant and will probably get looks again as a head coach. Wouldn't be surprised if Snyder brings one or both on to his staff.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:20 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:As much as we've struggled to hit threes this playoff series against BOS, I suspect Hawks may trade the 2023 1st round pick (and DeAndre Hunter?) for Bojan Bogdanovic.

Read on Twitter

Defense anyone? As much as we've struggled on defense vs Boston we shouldn't get worse.
Bojan is also 34.

We've been bad on both offense and defense. If our team is built to be an elite offense, let's at least challenge teams that way and pack the bench with defensive players as needed.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#48 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Bojan is also 34.

We've been bad on both offense and defense. If our team is built to be an elite offense, let's at least challenge teams that way and pack the bench with defensive players as needed.

Read on Twitter

Hawks have scoring droughts for parts of games. Hawks are bad on defense for most of games.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:31 pm

jayu70 wrote:Hawks have scoring droughts for parts of games. Hawks are bad on defense for most of games.

We'll never be a dominant defensive team with Trae aboard.

We absolutely should be a dominant offense.

I'd rather be elite at something than mediocre at everything.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#50 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Hawks have scoring droughts for parts of games. Hawks are bad on defense for most of games.

All I know is that I keep screaming getting stop.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,159

Post#51 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:34 pm

King Ken wrote:Paying guys market value isn't overpaying. Everyone is paying guys market value. JC was the only one who got well beyond his market value and that was on Trae and Tony and that ECF run to keep the team together and let them grow. Travis didn't want to do that deal.

Our issue is, we need a star next to Trae. There aren't many on the market, in fact, we got one of the best on the market in Murray last year.

3. We need to do a deal that makes sense as well. Murray wasn't a bad deal but it might have cost more than it was worth looking back at it now.
You can view the money as you please. Wait until OO signs for $20m and we're stuck with another player not living up to their contract. OO should be a bigger factor now in the playoffs but he hasn't been.

As for a star, I do agree with you, but hopefully we can find one for the 3 or 4 spots. The 5 will be difficult in it's self since a Jokic or Embiid are a rarity.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#52 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:40 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Cleveland is with Garland and Mem is with Ja, it's no real excuse. It's difficult for sure, but they need just one elite defensive player somewhere in the lineup.

Even the Suns were 7th in def rating with CP3 who's decrepit.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#53 » by D21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:46 am

HMFFL wrote:
King Ken wrote:Paying guys market value isn't overpaying. Everyone is paying guys market value. JC was the only one who got well beyond his market value and that was on Trae and Tony and that ECF run to keep the team together and let them grow. Travis didn't want to do that deal.

You can view the money as you please. Wait until OO signs for $20m and we're stuck with another player not living up to their contract. OO should be a bigger factor now in the playoffs but he hasn't been.

As for a star, I do agree with you, but hopefully we can find one for the 3 or 4 spots. The 5 will be difficult in it's self since a Jokic or Embiid are a rarity.

That's why I said they should target Miles Turner last season. It's still possible and he should be a priority, he a good defender, and would create so much more offensive options for this team.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#54 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:48 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Cleveland is with Garland and Mem is with Ja, it's no real excuse. It's difficult for sure, but they need just one elite defensive player somewhere in the lineup.

Even the Suns were 7th in def rating with CP3 who's decrepit.

That's rhe problem...the guys who are supposed to be the defenders have not kept up their side of the ledger: DJ, Dre and CC. If they were giving us 75% on defense as Trae is to the offense we'd be so much better.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:06 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

It is noteworthy that everyone of these teams are down 3-1 in the 1st round of the playoffs.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#56 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

It is noteworthy that everyone of these teams are down 3-1 in the 1st round of the playoffs.

It could be simply that the experience of the best players on the other teams matter more.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:09 pm

jayu70 wrote:It could be simply that the experience of the best players on the other teams matter more.

The Cavs do have an elite defense, but they are averaging fewer than 100 points per game in the playoffs.

Subsequently, they are down 3-1 in the post season. They're losing to a mediocre opponent because they can't score points when they need to.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:13 pm

jayu70 wrote:It could be simply that the experience of the best players on the other teams matter more.

And as far as the Grizzlies....

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 2, 2023 7:56 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Instead of starting a new thread I'll just throw this in here...

Who do you think will move this summer? QS is going to mold this team and there seem to be moves needed...J...cough C for example. Will he be moved? Anyone else?

I'm guessing all three starters in our front court will be dangled in trade talks.
  • Collins is the most talented, but needs a change of scenery.
  • Capela has a cheaper, younger, more talented player gunning for his job.
  • Hunter has been dreadful for most of Quin's time here.
The obvious questions: who wants them and what can you get in return? :dontknow:

I foresee LA Clippers, Phoenix and Brooklyn as teams in search of young depth to play next to their stars.

There's a decent chance DeJounte will need to be included in a deal to make the money work...and I'm okay with that.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,050

Post#60 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri May 5, 2023 5:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:Instead of starting a new thread I'll just throw this in here...

Who do you think will move this summer? QS is going to mold this team and there seem to be moves needed...J...cough C for example. Will he be moved? Anyone else?

I'm guessing all three starters in our front court will be dangled in trade talks.
  • Collins is the most talented, but needs a change of scenery.
  • Capela has a cheaper, younger, more talented player gunning for his job.
  • Hunter has been dreadful for most of Quin's time here.
The obvious questions: who wants them and what can you get in return? :dontknow:

I foresee LA Clippers, Phoenix and Brooklyn as teams in search of young depth to play next to their stars.

There's a decent chance DeJounte will need to be included in a deal to make the money work...and I'm okay with that.

So you're expecting a consolidation trade involving one or more of the FC players and DM? That would need to bring in a top player. Who you thinking? Brown? Do we want to make the same mistake as Dallas and send out all our depth for a top player? Didn't work for them

I think that we need to shake thigs up with more lateral moves, maybe shave some payroll and let Coach do his thing next season

Return to Atlanta Hawks