ImageImage

Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 723

Re: Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam 

Post#141 » by TGM » Mon Jan 1, 2024 1:02 pm

If I'm Atlanta I probably keep Johnson. His contract is way smaller and he still has upside. However, I doubt Johnson gets to Siakam upside. Siakam's passing ability is extremely underrated and given how unbalanced Atlanta's offense is he would fit great next to Capela or OO. JJ I think is a great asset and therefore would probably hold on, but the chances of Siakam not resigning with the team he gets traded too I think is low given the bird rights that come with it.

I still think Murray for Siakam swap is about right. Both teams have their two best players playing the same position. Trae and Murray, Siakam and Barnes. Its clear which one each team has chosen to keep.

However, given Murray's friendly deal, I think if Atlanta moves him, they would probably ask for Toronto to take on Hunter's contract, which is a negative in my mind. This way they have the salary flexibility to resign Pascal. Murray and Hunter combined is a lot of money locked up, so I think if there is a hold-up it will be how to move Hunter to a third team that is willing to send back some expiring deals.

I think this is where a team like Dallas makes a lot of sense to help facilitate.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#142 » by Yungsta404 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:04 pm

TGM wrote:
I still think Murray for Siakam swap is about right. Both teams have their two best players playing the same position. Trae and Murray, Siakam and Barnes. Its clear which one each team has chosen to keep.

However, given Murray's friendly deal, I think if Atlanta moves him, they would probably ask for Toronto to take on Hunter's contract, which is a negative in my mind. This way they have the salary flexibility to resign Pascal. Murray and Hunter combined is a lot of money locked up, so I think if there is a hold-up it will be how to move Hunter to a third team that is willing to send back some expiring deals.

I think this is where a team like Dallas makes a lot of sense to help facilitate.

The issue is that the raptors recent deal makes Murray/Hunter less attractive for them. They traded for RJ Barrett who is a SG/SF locked into a contract and is owed more money than Hunter for the next 3 years making $81m.

They also have Immanuel Quickly who is a PG/SG coming off the rookie contract in the offseason and will need a new contract.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#143 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:13 pm

Pointgod wrote:
dms269 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Would you guys move Jalen Johnson in a Siakim deal? I have my doubts but curious about what Hawks fans think.
Not a chance. Super talented and young. 8ish years younger than Siakam and likely signed longer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Would you guys move Jalen Johnson in a Siakim deal? I have my doubts but curious about what Hawks fans think.

That's a no for me dawg

jayu70 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

I wouldn't.

Thought as much. So what would you guys move for him? Picks, AJ Griffin, Okongwu(doubtful), Bufkin?

I've reiterated this several times already in other spaces, but the Hawks offered Hunter, AJG, and some form of draft comp presumably the Sac pick in July. Bufkin was also wanted and the Hawks declined.

Not seeing how things will change from then and now. Johnson is the best pf prospect the Hawks have had since Josh Smith so he's pretty much off the table. With OG moved, I'd expect Hunter could be a bit more coveted in this deal now.

I'm assuming the TPE factors in someway with Siakam but I don't understand the dynamics of it fully.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#144 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:17 pm

TGM wrote:If I'm Atlanta I probably keep Johnson. His contract is way smaller and he still has upside. However, I doubt Johnson gets to Siakam upside. Siakam's passing ability is extremely underrated and given how unbalanced Atlanta's offense is he would fit great next to Capela or OO. JJ I think is a great asset and therefore would probably hold on, but the chances of Siakam not resigning with the team he gets traded too I think is low given the bird rights that come with it.

The Hawks will want similar returns for what they gave for DJM, not a big expiring in Siakam. Reaves, Christie, pick from Lakers, Grimes, Hart, pick from NYK, etc.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#145 » by Yungsta404 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:35 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
dms269 wrote:Not a chance. Super talented and young. 8ish years younger than Siakam and likely signed longer.

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
That's a no for me dawg

jayu70 wrote:I wouldn't.

Thought as much. So what would you guys move for him? Picks, AJ Griffin, Okongwu(doubtful), Bufkin?

I've reiterated this several times already in other spaces, but the Hawks offered Hunter, AJG, and some form of draft comp presumably the Sac pick in July. Bufkin was also wanted and the Hawks declined.

Not seeing how things will change from then and now. Johnson is the best pf prospect the Hawks have had since Josh Smith so he's pretty much off the table. With OG moved, I'd expect Hunter could be a bit more coveted in this deal now.

I'm assuming the TPE factors in someway with Siakam but I don't understand the dynamics of it fully.

I don't get why the Raptors will want Hunter more if they traded for RJ Barrett who is a SG/SF and is owed more money than hunter over the next 3 years. The raptors make even less sense as a trade partner after their most recent deal.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,045

Post#146 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:48 pm

Hawks and Raptors are not really good trade partners despite all the noise. Develop JJ at SF and OO at PF and maybe we can build something
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#147 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:52 pm

RJ is a poor shooter and Hunter isn't. Hunter is the better defender, and the Raps will need wings to save their non role players from wear and tear on defense. If RJ could legitimately play sf and defend they wouldn't even need to trade for an expiring OG.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,782

Post#148 » by Pointgod » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:57 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:RJ is a poor shooter and Hunter isn't. Hunter is the better defender, and the Raps will need wings to save their non role players from wear and tear on defense. If RJ could legitimately play sf and defend they wouldn't even need to trade for an expiring OG.

I want no part of Hunter to be honest. I feel like we could find another 3 and D wing either through the draft or a minor trade.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#149 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:12 pm

Pointgod wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:RJ is a poor shooter and Hunter isn't. Hunter is the better defender, and the Raps will need wings to save their non role players from wear and tear on defense. If RJ could legitimately play sf and defend they wouldn't even need to trade for an expiring OG.

I want no part of Hunter to be honest. I feel like we could find another 3 and D wing either through the draft or a minor trade.

Hunter is better than perceived, but I get it. If it was easy getting a quality wing, the Hawks would already have and replaced him with a better one in the last 20 years. Raps are a different case study and they seem to find those guys much easier.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,981

Post#150 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:33 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
dms269 wrote:Not a chance. Super talented and young. 8ish years younger than Siakam and likely signed longer.

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
That's a no for me dawg

jayu70 wrote:I wouldn't.

Agreed on the initial rumored summer time offer. I don't see the Hawks upping the offer for even less Siakam games.
I know it's now easy for Raps fans to say, see what we got for OG, so we should get more for Siakam - biggest difference is OG's agent is the GMs son, so it's more likely they've had discussions regarding resigning. Same cannot be said for Siakam who has shown no inclination to resign with the Hawks. He nor his people have not walked back those summertime comments. Rumor is Trae tried to convince him to come when rumors first started.
The TPE is for $25.3 mil, Siakam makes more than the TPE so it cannot be used since it can't be combined with players.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,606

Post#151 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:18 pm

Pointgod wrote:Thought as much. So what would you guys move for him? Picks, AJ Griffin, Okongwu(doubtful), Bufkin?

In light of these most recent reports...DeAndre Hunter and a future, protected 1st round pick

Read on Twitter
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#152 » by Pointgod » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Thought as much. So what would you guys move for him? Picks, AJ Griffin, Okongwu(doubtful), Bufkin?

In light of these most recent reports...DeAndre Hunter and a future, protected 1st round pick

Read on Twitter

Fuuuuck. Welp that tanks his value.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#153 » by Pointgod » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:57 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Hunter is better than perceived, but I get it. If it was easy getting a quality wing, the Hawks would already have and replaced him with a better one in the last 20 years. Raps are a different case study and they seem to find those guys much easier.

What do you guys believe this team needs? On paper it kind of seems like the team has all of the ingredients to be a top 6 team. Doesnt look like Trae and Murray have meshed, the team doesn’t play defence and doesn’t seem like the role players are stepping up. Does this team need time or a big personnel change?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#154 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:20 pm

Pointgod wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

What do you guys believe this team needs? On paper it kind of seems like the team has all of the ingredients to be a top 6 team. Doesnt look like Trae and Murray have meshed, the team doesn’t play defence and doesn’t seem like the role players are stepping up. Does this team need time or a big personnel change?

1. I think it's mostly defense and securing rebounds, particularly in the 4th (that's where we missed JJ with Quin playing too small).
2. Trae has gotten better on defense this season, can't say the same for the rest of the 'supposed defenders' - no one has stepped up on defense to be the guy on defense that Trae is to the offense.
3. The bench isn't good. Owner cut cost and didn't invest in 'functional NBA players' so we can't overcome one starter injury. Having to start Garrison Mathews says a lot.
4. With JJ back, it should solve size, defense, and playmaking from the front court. We lack it with Hunter and Capela.
5. Hawks went into the offseason expecting leaps from Onyeka, Johnson and Griffin - JJ has taken the step, Onyeka has been just solid, Griffin is dealing with personal issues.
6. Bey runs hot and cold, from 3 and right now he's colder than ice. And he's probably the worse defender on the team at the moment.

I can go on - but you get the idea, it's not just one thing. Part of that could just be growing pains in Quin's system. Mike Conley did say you needed a PhD to run Quin's system, took him a year to get it.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#155 » by Pointgod » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:33 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:

1. I think it's mostly defense and securing rebounds, particularly in the 4th (that's where we missed JJ with Quin playing too small).
2. Trae has gotten better on defense this season, can't say the same for the rest of the 'supposed defenders' - no one has stepped up on defense to be the guy on defense that Trae is to the offense.
3. The bench isn't good. Owner cut cost and didn't invest in 'functional NBA players' so we can't overcome one starter injury. Having to start Garrison Mathews says a lot.
4. With JJ back, it should solve size, defense, and playmaking from the front court. We lack it with Hunter and Capela.
5. Hawks went into the offseason expecting leaps from Onyeka, Johnson and Griffin - JJ has taken the step, Onyeka has been just solid, Griffin is dealing with personal issues.
6. Bey runs hot and cold, from 3 and right now he's colder than ice. And he's probably the worse defender on the team at the moment.

I can go on - but you get the idea, it's not just one thing. Part of that could just be growing pains in Quin's system. Mike Conley did say you needed a PhD to run Quin's system, took him a year to get it.

Why the hell are the Matthews getting minutes over AJ and Bufkin? Also what do you feel about the chemistry between Trae and Murray? I kind of feel like the there has to be something there or do you think it’s more on the coach and developing chemistry?
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,537

Post#156 » by dms269 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:19 pm

Pointgod wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Why the hell are the Matthews getting minutes over AJ and Bufkin? Also what do you feel about the chemistry between Trae and Murray? I kind of feel like the there has to be something there or do you think it’s more on the coach and developing chemistry?

Griffin was out for a while on a personal issue/matter. Bufkin fractured his thumb and missed a significant amount of time. He was just recently returned for the SkyHawks.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#157 » by graymule » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:07 pm

:D

AJ Griffin is back, just not playing as of yet. Kobe Bufkin has been with the Skyhawks, tearing up the G League
as he polishes off the rust from not playing due to his injury.

M. Gueye is still out but doing light work for the next couple of weeks.

Rental of Siakam is too high. He's told Atlanta that he will not sign a new contract and that he's going to the 76ers. I would not offer to trade them JJ, even up, because I'd fear they might take the deal and we would lose JJ permanently and then have Siakam walk away for nothing at the end of the season.

8-)
jayu70
RealGM

Post#158 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:03 am

Pointgod wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Bufkin has been out with a fractured thumb and has just been cleared, he has played 3 games with the GLeague affiliate which I hope is a precursor to rejoining the big club.
AJ has also been out due to personal reasons.
As far as Trae/DJ - they seem to be getting along fine. They spent a lot of the offseason together along with Quin trying to learn the system.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#159 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

The Raptors are a tough team to deal with. Ujiri and this front office have always maintained high standards when it comes to the trade deadline, which is why there are some rival teams who feel as if the Raptors look to take advantage of them.

“First of all, that team is always setting the price extremely high on their players, sometimes to the point that makes you laugh,” one Eastern Conference executive shared with ClutchPoints. “Obviously, you always want to try and get the most for your players, that's the nature of the game. At some point, you have to be willing to budge and actually negotiate instead of saying, ‘This is our price, take it or leave it.' Over the years, everything has seemed pretty one-sided when talking trades with them.”

As of right now, the general belief around the league is that the Raptors are looking for two players who can fit in with their rotation right away, along with two future first-round picks.If Siakam goes to the Hawks, Murray would not be going anywhere. This is where things can become confusing, especially since the Knicks do not necessarily have the assets to blow the Hawks away in an offer for Murray at this time.....

The Hawks are in a position where they can be both buyers and sellers at the trade deadline this season. Pursuing Siakam remains the focus in Atlanta, leading many to suggest that Murray will not be going anywhere in the coming weeks.....

The fact of the matter is the Hawks have had no plans of losing Murray and envision him being a factor in the team's growth alongside Young. 
jayu70
RealGM

Post#160 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:14 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks