ImageImage

John Collins Appreciation Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Re: John Collins Appreciation Thread 

Post#61 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Hawks definitely missing the rim running of J Collins right now.

Capela has bricks for hands and regularly misses lobs.

Okongwu is undersized and can't get the same height as Collins or Jalen Johnson.

Do we miss Collins or do we miss Jalen?

I firmly believe Jalen Johnson has shown Collins was more than expendable, and is actually an upgrade on both sides of the ball.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:26 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Do we miss Collins or do we miss Jalen?

I firmly believe Jalen Johnson has shown Collins was more than expendable, and is actually an upgrade on both sides of the ball.

1. I think we miss them both.

2. I can't say Collins was expendable, when we literally don't have another PF on the roster. The starting 5 with Bey and Hunter at Forward has a NET Rating of -46!!! That is the worst in both Offense and Defense.

Our team has fallen apart because we lack frontcourt depth right now. Gifting away a starting PF for nothing is the direct cause of this.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#63 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Do we miss Collins or do we miss Jalen?

1. I think we miss them both.

2. I can't say Collins was expendable, when we literally don't have another PF on the roster. The starting 5 with Bey and Hunter at Forward has a NET Rating of -46!!! That is the worst in both Offense and Defense.

Our team has fallen apart because we lack frontcourt depth right now. Gifting away a starting PF for nothing is the direct cause of this.

You're not wrong on the frontcourt depth issue. I just don't see Collins making the same or similar impact of JJ. We could definitely use some depth at the 4, but that player needs to be a versatile one like JJ. Not having Gueye hurts.

That said, I still contend we probably need to see more lineups with Bey at the 3, and OO at the 4. Hunter just doesn't impact the game unless he's hot, and in that case, he's an overpaid bench player.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:58 pm

Sooner than later, John and Trae are going to realize that they were perfect complements for each other on the offensive end.

No player on our roster then or now can catch a lob and finish as strongly as John Collins. And no player on Utah (yet) can consistently make those high level passes in stride for easy dunks and finishes like Trae.

Man, I miss this kid.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#65 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 11:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Sooner than later, John and Trae are going to realize that they were perfect complements for each other on the offensive end.

No player on our roster then or now can catch a lob and finish as strongly as John Collins. And no player on Utah (yet) can consistently make those high level passes in stride for easy dunks and finishes like Trae.

Until Ressler stops downgrading the on court talent to avoid the tax, the Hawks will be in a forever Neverending cycle of not being good enough.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#66 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:01 am

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Sooner than later, John and Trae are going to realize that they were perfect complements for each other on the offensive end.

Until Ressler stops downgrading the on court talent to avoid the tax, the Hawks will be in a forever Neverending cycle of not being good enough.

To be fair, every team in the NBA team is just good to average right now. There are no more elite teams. No prime Curry or Lebron. Joker is the best player but even he and the Nuggets are struggling right now.

Last year there were no 60 win teams. This year, there might only be two or three 50 win teams when the season is done.

Talent seems to be fairly spread out across the NBA right now and every team is going through their own cap problems. Neither Trae or Luka have yet reached that Curry/Lebron level, only Giannis and Joker would be considered elite and they probably won't get there teams to 60 wins this year.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#67 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:04 am

I don't miss JC but we do need more from the front-court. I think the question with JJ should be does he need to be our starting SF? I would be looking to move Hunter / Capela / Bey for a solid front-court upgrade. Maybe get Murray into a deal to a PG needy team and start a bigger and better shooting SG next to Trae.

This team has a ton of talent, but the pieces just don't fit well
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:00 pm

:o

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:37 pm

I don't believe Hawks have fallen apart just because they traded away John Collins, but I do think his departure is part of the problem.

Hawks lost depth in the front court, cohesiveness among the starting 5 and a huge amount of rim running when they traded Collins. None of which has been replaced on the roster yet.

(How many lobs have we seen missed this season because Capela has bricks for hands, Okongwu can't jump very high or Jalen doesn't quite have the timing down with Trae?)

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#70 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I don't believe Hawks have fallen apart just because they traded away John Collins, but I do think his departure is part of the problem.

Hawks lost depth in the front court, cohesiveness among the starting 5 and a huge amount of rim running when they traded Collins. None of which has been replaced on the roster yet.

(How many lobs have we seen missed this season because Capela has bricks for hands, Okongwu can't jump very high or Jalen doesn't quite have the timing down with Trae?)

Read on Twitter

Like I said, I took no issue with the trade in of itself....it's what they didn't do after that is most bothersome while 1. Sitting on the TPE and 2.not using the MLE since the idea was to be able to have access to it by getting under the tax. Traded on court production for none.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 12:48 am

John finding out the grass ain't always greener...

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:50 pm

JC having a slight return to form playing more minutes as a small=ball Center.

He's more lethal when he doesn't have a traditional Center clogging the paint.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#73 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:07 pm

John Collins has been revived as starting Center in Utah.

While his old team has fallen into disarray.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:10 pm

Hard to ignore the fact that this franchise has struggled for years anytime John Collins isn't on the floor.

He was the heart and soul of this team.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:12 pm

John Collins next to Jalen and Okongwu right now could be a really fun trio of bigs with varying strengths and abilities...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#77 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,013

Post#78 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:26 pm

Considering John Collins makes over $25 million this season every night should be a good night for him. Media patting a guy on the back with some nice words but at $25m per year you should be consistent and an all-star.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:22 am

I wish we had kept Collins and traded Capela instead...

Read on Twitter
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#80 » by D21 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:03 am

HMFFL wrote:Considering John Collins makes over $25 million this season every night should be a good night for him. Media patting a guy on the back with some nice words but at $25m per year you should be consistent and an all-star.

You're right on the "consistent" point, he's supposed to be like that, more than he is.
But the "All-Star" point, I don't see why: at $25M/year, Collins has the 56th salary this year, and there's only 24 All-Stars
Even if there was an All-Star "B Game" with players from 25 to 48, he's not supposed to be part of this based on salaries.

Return to Atlanta Hawks