John Collins Appreciation Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: John Collins Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:06 pm

Jeff Schultz wrote:Hawks’ salary dump of John Collins an embarrassing culmination of last 3 years

After weeks of trying to tamp down narratives that they were on the verge of a salary dump to get out of the NBA’s luxury tax and that John Collins didn’t fit into their future, the Hawks dumped salary and John Collins.

This culmination of the past three seasons of rumors was an embarrassment. Think about it. The Hawks traded Collins — still talented, solid defensively and young at 25 — for a soon-to-be 37-year-old Rudy Gay (who they may not even keep) and a second-round draft pick. As for how highly the Hawks value second-round picks, they traded five of them — five! — for Saddiq Bey.

It was a dump worthy of all caps: DUMP. They are a lesser team today. The pressure is on general manager Landry Fields and this new front office to improve a roster while gaining payroll flexibility. From a financial perspective, it’s easy to understand why trading Collins was the right choice. His $25.34 million salary for 2023-24 is off the books and lifts the team out of luxury tax hell. The Collins trade also will net them a $25 million trade exception for one year. Nobody should assume that will be utilized.

Winning next season largely depends on how well Young, Murray and others acclimate to Snyder and his system in the coach’s first full season. If things go well, there could be short-term success. But to be clear, nobody should view Collins’ exit as addition by subtraction. It’s just subtraction.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:41 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:24 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,011

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Zach Harper wrote:John Collins trade grades

High mark for Jazz; not so much for Hawks

Jazz Grade: A
Hawks Grade: F+

This is a crazy low return for someone like Collins, and the deal, first reported by ESPN, feels like a steal for the Jazz.

...the Hawks ended up signing him in the summer of 2021 for five years and $125 million. After two years in that contract, the best they could do for him was a 36-year old Rudy Gay and a second-round pick? That can’t possibly be proper value, whether or not you believe in Collins.

This is a terrible job of maximizing value for a player who should still be an asset. This still feels like even a weak salary dump. We’ll see how much of this roster gets moved in the coming weeks. Clint Capela, De’Andre Hunter and many more not named Trae Young could all be moved. Even for a salary dump, the Collins deal is a complete miss on its own. We have to see what’s next.
The Athletic
Danny A typically wins in trades.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:27 am

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

This is a crazy low return for someone like Collins, and the deal, first reported by ESPN, feels like a steal for the Jazz.

...the Hawks ended up signing him in the summer of 2021 for five years and $125 million. After two years in that contract, the best they could do for him was a 36-year old Rudy Gay and a second-round pick? That can’t possibly be proper value, whether or not you believe in Collins.

This is a terrible job of maximizing value for a player who should still be an asset. This still feels like even a weak salary dump. We’ll see how much of this roster gets moved in the coming weeks. Clint Capela, De’Andre Hunter and many more not named Trae Young could all be moved. Even for a salary dump, the Collins deal is a complete miss on its own. We have to see what’s next.
The Athletic

I understand the Hawks got a paltry return which is unfortunate, but let's take a step back and ask this question...If Collins was a free agent this offseason and Ainge signed him to a 3yr/$78 million extension, would he be given an A? Thank you - I'll hang up and listen. :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:37 pm

jayu70 wrote:...If Collins was a free agent this offseason and Ainge signed him to a 3yr/$78 million extension, would he be given an A?

That...is a pretty fair point.

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#27 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:04 pm

I would appreciate Collins a lot more if he had accepted the very fair 4@$90M Schlenk offered him and not had his WHOLE game decline dramatically over a three year period

Still a clear loss of a trade for the Hawks. You have to spend money to win, but money doesn't take to the court. Collins is a drastic failure for the Hawks
DarthTater
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#28 » by DarthTater » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:05 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
vtime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Played through trade rumors making 20+ Million Annually. What a trooper!

They were trying to trade him in his rookie deal. And he took less money to stay

Are you related to JC?

Who are you related to? Cheapskate Ressler?
DarthTater
Freshman

Post#29 » by DarthTater » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:08 am

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

The Athletic

Only if you let him. I would not cave to arrogant scum Danny Ainge under any circumstances.
DarthTater
Freshman

Post#30 » by DarthTater » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:11 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:...If Collins was a free agent this offseason and Ainge signed him to a 3yr/$78 million extension, would he be given an A?

That is essentially what Ainge did, only he dumped the ancient Rudy Gay and gave away a second round pick. Whoopie.
DarthTater
Freshman

Post#31 » by DarthTater » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:16 am

Colbinii wrote:Played through trade rumors making 20+ Million Annually. What a trooper!

Beats paying Trae or Siakam $50 million annually. They will never contribute enough to earn that much money.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:09 am

DarthTater wrote:Beats paying Trae or Siakam $50 million annually. They will never contribute enough to earn that much money.

:cry:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:09 pm

1st sighting in Jazz colors.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#34 » by jayu70 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:24 am

Why would you do this to me, Jayu?!?!? :cry:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#36 » by jayu70 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:55 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Why would you do this to me, Jayu?!?!? :cry:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Think that was bad...try this one. :cry:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 9, 2023 1:07 am

DarthTater wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

That is essentially what Ainge did, only he dumped the ancient Rudy Gay and gave away a second round pick. Whoopie.
Danny is out for revenge and continues to prove how grrat he is.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 9, 2023 10:20 pm

John Collins on trade to Jazz: I was excited to go to a place that I knew really wanted me

[https://hoopshype]

For John Collins, the trade talk is over. Finally. The power forward is now a member of the Utah Jazz after what seems like years of trade rumors. Collins spoke to the Jazz’s website on Sunday after being officially introduced. “I was excited going to a place that I knew really wanted me and was trying to have me in the organization,” Collins said. “You know, it’s always very nice to hear and know coming to a place that really wants you and wants you to excel here. “It’s a big sigh of relief knowing that all the talk and trade talks are over and can go to my new home and start a new home.”

– via AJC Sports @ Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 9, 2023 11:13 pm

HMFFL wrote:John Collins on trade to Jazz: I was excited to go to a place that I knew really wanted me

“I was excited going to a place that I knew really wanted me and was trying to have me in the organization,” Collins said. “You know, it’s always very nice to hear and know coming to a place that really wants you and wants you to excel here. “It’s a big sigh of relief knowing that all the talk and trade talks are over and can go to my new home and start a new home.”

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:05 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks