Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Hawks -- State of the Franchise 

Post#61 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:37 pm

Could the Hawks kick off trade season?

John Hollinger mentioned this week, the Hawks could be the first dominos to tip when it comes to igniting trade season. As we inch closer to the February 8 trade deadline, there are several Hawks players who could be great trade targets. Let’s discuss some hypotheticals (AGGREGATORS PLEASE NOTE, I said hypotheticals):

Dejounte Murray: As Shams reported, the Lakers could have their eye on Murray. That would be an excellent acquisition, and would probably have to start with Austin Reaves, another young guy and the first they can move. Is that enough to make up for the two picks and pick swap Atlanta already owes San Antonio?

Murray is also the type of player someone like Orlando or Philadelphia should throw some assets toward acquiring.

Clint Capela: The Knicks desperately need size with Mitchell Robinson out for the season. Could Capela be a fit? He has one more season at $22 million, so it wouldn’t be a big investment.

De’Andre Hunter: Still has three years and roughly $70 million. He’s an excellent 3-and-D prototype. Who couldn’t use him? Hunter could be another Mikal Bridges-type, if moved to a team with more offensive opportunities. I’d love to see Houston or Dallas go after him.

Bogdan Bogdanović: He’s one of the best sixth man options in the NBA, a big-time shot-maker and can really score. Bogdanović is the type of guy someone like Golden State or Houston or Orlando could use. He has three years, $49 million left, but that last year is a team option.

Trae Young: Hollinger mentioned Young as a potential spiraling option for the Hawks to move, but I can’t imagine it gets to that. It’s fun to think what a deal looks like. Four firsts and three pick swaps? Multiple young players?
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:19 am

It's a downward spiral that is hard to break out of:

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#63 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:21 pm

What improvements have been made to our frontcourt since we played Milwaukee in the ECF?

Traded John Collins and have added what exactly?

Writing $20m per year checks seems to be far too common.

And no upgrades other than Jalen Johnson.

Correct mw if I'm wrong?

Currently at the ATL and it's a nightmare here..lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#64 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:34 pm

HMFFL wrote:What improvements have been made to our frontcourt since we played Milwaukee in the ECF?

Traded John Collins and have added what exactly?

Writing $20m per year checks seems to be far too common.

And no upgrades other than Jalen Johnson.

Correct mw if I'm wrong?

Currently at the ATL and it's a nightmare here..lol

Just repeating what I've been saying
jayu70 wrote:Yes - we would not have been as talent deprived as we are.
Like I said I take no issue with the trades in of themselves, it was also about timing and return. We keep circling the wagon trading guys with some level of NBA contributing talent for none to get under the Tax. As long as that is the approach - we'll keep ending up right back here.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#65 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:53 pm

Hawks are pretty down bad rn. Slotted at pick 7 in lotto standing, with Mem ready to overtake them eventually in the win column. I'm not mad at a soft reset. No matter who they acquire, they can't touch Bos, Phi, or Mil in a 5 or 7 game series.

Make the deal with LAL for Reaves, Christie, and future 1st if that's the best deal... AR is probably worse than DJ on defense but the intangibles he brings should fit the roster better.

Trade up both picks for the center Sarr or another high impact prospect if need be. Teams are going to want to trade back in this draft with no clear cut franchise player to build around.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#66 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:03 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Make the deal with LAL for Reaves, Christie, and future 1st if that's the best deal... AR is probably worse than DJ on defense but the intangibles he brings should fit the roster better.

What are some of these Reeves intangibles?
I'm concerned some of that hype is playing for LAL and playing with LBJ and AD. Hawks don't have that here.
Convince me of what you see his role being here considering he is bad on defense.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:06 am

At least Rayford III has his Hawks flag flying still....

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#68 » by HMFFL » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:19 pm

The Lakers priority is to get rid of D'Angelo Russell. Anybody that trades for this guy are clueless unless they intend to do a quick flip.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:36 pm

I can't help but wonder: Trae finished his best, most productive, most efficient month as a pro.

And the team has the worst record in years....

Is there a correlation?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#70 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:20 pm

raleigh wrote:Quin seems to be taking more of a long-term, philosophical path here, and it's costing the team in the short-term.

It seems to me that he's trying to establish a high-variance approach, which would have MAJOR upside, but he doesn't currently have enough broadly skilled players for that. The most pressing needs are a defensive cog and some guys who can switch on the perimeter.

This in particular seems pretty spot on.

Do you believe this is the wrong approach for a team that has one 50 win season in the past 15 years and who's best player is just 25 years old?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 4, 2024 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#73 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 5:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
raleigh wrote:Quin seems to be taking more of a long-term, philosophical path here, and it's costing the team in the short-term.

It seems to me that he's trying to establish a high-variance approach, which would have MAJOR upside, but he doesn't currently have enough broadly skilled players for that. The most pressing needs are a defensive cog and some guys who can switch on the perimeter.

This in particular seems pretty spot on.

Do you believe this is the wrong approach for a team that has one 50 win season in the past 15 years and who's best player is just 25 years old?

Right or wrong, I think it's the expectation from what the owner tried to sell us about avoiding being a playin team, again.
Per Mike Conley, it takes a while to grasp Quin's scheme.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 4, 2024 6:16 pm

Does the turnaround happen this season or in Year 2 of the Snyder Cut?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:29 pm

Nice pull, Jayu. If true, it represents a wholesale change in direction from last trade deadline...and it's the right approach. :clap:

I am reluctant to move Bogdan, Kobe or Okongwu. But I'm onboard with everyone else being available and taking a long term approach to rebuilding in Quin's image.

jayu70 wrote:The Hawks are certainly open for business, with plenty of long-term deals to be moved.

Atlanta owes its 2025 first-round selection to San Antonio as part of the haul that landed Murray, so there’s plenty of sense for the Hawks, currently 14-19, to weigh selling some of its veteran contributors, incorporating a lottery pick alongside Young and Johnson, then stepping back toward Atlanta’s bigger goal of competing in the playoffs under head coach Quin Snyder next season.

Atlanta has been one of the more active teams on the phones across the league, sources said. And that seller’s path becoming more likely has league personnel no longer considering the Hawks as a prominent potential landing spot for Toronto’s other trade-deadline darling, Pascal Siakam, now that the Raptors ultimately moved on from Anunoby.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 7, 2024 12:27 am

Hawks salary numbers as of Jan 2024.

CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#77 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:32 pm

The premise that this staff are essentially holding auditions for their system and JJ + Trae are the only ones excelling so far makes more sense everyday. Other than those two OO seems like a keeper.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#78 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:54 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:The premise that this staff are essentially holding auditions for their system and JJ + Trae are the only ones excelling so far makes more sense everyday. Other than those two OO seems like a keeper.

I've been thinking about this DJ trade speculationand the why.

The biggest takeaway I'm getting is that in the 20 games that Quin took over last year he determined that DJ wasn't a fit since he was in the early trade talks for Pascal and wanted to move him. This would have been  around the draft and before FAcy started.

DJ then agreed to the contract extension July 6th and spend time with Trae and Quin working out over the summer (we saw the reports) to try and make it work.

I speculated previously, that the change in coaching from Nate to Quin had a ripple effect of what was discussed at the time of the trade from SAS. With DJ expecting more PG duties? Doesn't seem to be the case under Quin.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:34 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:The premise that this staff are essentially holding auditions for their system and JJ + Trae are the only ones excelling so far makes more sense everyday.

Other than those two OO seems like a keeper.

I'd love to keep Bogdanovic, too. Dude is a gamer who likely deserves a bigger role.

But age and trade value dictate that this is the best time to get max value in return.

A package built around Bogdan and Capela could really tilt the 2024 playoffs in a different direction for the right team (i.e. Lakers, Knicks, Thunder, Mavs).

NOTE: I really like OO, but he is an undersized Center in a lineup featuring an undersized PG. That makes it really difficult to build defensive lineups against big teams.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#80 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:The premise that this staff are essentially holding auditions for their system and JJ + Trae are the only ones excelling so far makes more sense everyday.

Other than those two OO seems like a keeper.

I'd love to keep Bogdanovic, too. Dude is a gamer who likely deserves a bigger role.

But age and trade value dictate that this is the best time to get max value in return.

A package built around Bogdan and Capela could really tilt the 2024 playoffs in a different direction for the right team (i.e. Lakers, Knicks, Thunder, Mavs).

NOTE: I really like OO, but he is an undersized Center in a lineup featuring an undersized PG. That makes it really difficult to build defensive lineups against big teams.

I agree about Bogi, but when the iron is hot, the iron is hot. OO has proven he can expand his game. His size is a concern but that's why cheap quality rotation 7 footers exist.

Not many in the league can meet Morant in the air w/o fouling in this league, much less this soft Hawks roster.

Return to Atlanta Hawks