And1: 14,504

Re: 2024 Prospect Spotlight: Zach Edey 

Post#81 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:32 pm

Zach Edey Scouting Report

Position: Center
Size: 7'4", 300 lbs
Draft ceiling: Late Lottery
Draft floor: Early Second Round

Purdue's Zach Edey put together a historically dominant season that culminated in a national championship berth against Connecticut. Despite coming up short, the two-time men's national player of the year finished the NCAA tournament averaging 29.5 points through six games, earning more believers in his pro potential with each contest.

Still, debate continues to swirl into the predraft process around Edey's fit for and upside in an NBA game that's moved away from post-ups. And outside players such as Victor Wembanyama, Kristaps Porzingis and Chet Holmgren, who have perimeter skill sets, there haven't been many serious success stories of bigs with measurements near Edey's.

But it's also become difficult to ignore his rare effectiveness at the college level, plus improved conditioning and mobility that's made it easier to picture him moving alongside NBA-caliber athletes.

NBA Role and Pro Comparisons
Spoiler:
Projected role: Post scorer, two-way enforcer
Pro comparions: Jonas Valančiūnas
Best team fits: Toronto Raptors, Philadelphia 76ers, Oklahoma City Thunder, New Orleans Pelicans

Edey will continue playing to his strengths as a low-post scorer, finisher, offensive rebounder and drop defender. He just won't be used as often, and his minutes figure to be more in line with a backup's or lower-level starter's because of defensive limitations.

He'll likely spend more time setting screens, rolling and hanging in the dunker's spot next year, though he should continue to have success with back-to-the-basket hook shots when he has position and the spacing is right.

Though Edey is significantly taller, he'll have a chance to make a similar impact to that of Valanciunas, who's third in the NBA post-up frequency, and who's valued for his physicality around the basket.

Depending on matchups, Edey may be reduced to 10-15 minutes per game if his team faces a center who likes to play away from the basket.
Physical Tools and Athleticism
Spoiler:
With Edey's listed weight of 300 pounds, he'd be the NBA's heaviest player right away.

At last year's NBA combine, he came in at 306 pounds, 7'3" in socks with an absurd 9'7.5" reach and 7'10.5" wingspan.

He looked more fluid this season in elevating and moving defensively from the foul line to the rim. Unsurprisingly, the farther away he is from the basket, the clunkier he appears. Athletically, he lacks speed, and his coordination isn't near the level of bigs such as Wembanyama, Porzingis and Holmgren.

But his game is all about strength and reach. He uses his powerful body to gain position and length to release over the top. And even without the quickest feet, he's a deterrent around the basket with how high his arms extend vertically.
Draft Projection
Spoiler:
For Edey to go in the lottery, it's going to take a team that needs an upgrade at center and believes in his post-up dominance translating. Teams that are already invested in cornerstones at the 5 aren't likely to want to use that high of a pick on a backup.

Next year, Clint Capela will be in the final season of his contract for the Atlanta Hawks, and the New Orleans Pelicans will have to make a decision this summer on impending free agent Valančiūnas.

It seems reasonable for Edey to start drawing more serious interest in the mid-to-late first round from teams that could use frontcourt depth and extra size/physicality. In the teens and 20s, it's easier to justify adding Edey for a second-unit role to start his career—with the hope that he can eventually join the starters by becoming even smoother with his post footwork and lateral movement.
Signature Strengths
Spoiler:
Finishing/rebounding

Edey doesn't require much effort or load-up time to get above the rim. With that 9'7.5" standing reach, he can practically touch it from his heels. Using his size and length—and very little explosion—he shot 75.6 percent at the basket, totaling 116 dunks in 39 games.

He shot 82.2 percent on rolls to the basket, picked up 56 putbacks and converted an incredible 32-of-36 cuts, per Synergy Sports. Once Edey has position and the ball inside, he's almost automatic.

Post play

Edey scored 14.3 points per game in the post, the most in the country by 5.7 points. As advantageous as his strength is for gaining position, he didn't always need it, given where his release point is and how much touch he's added to his one-handers.

Edey clearly preferred going over his left shoulder, but he remains a threat from the middle of the lane and right side with his off-hand as well. While it can take some time for him to get shots off, if he has enough of it with the right spacing, there will be few centers capable of blocking or tightly contesting his jump hooks.

Interior defensive presence

Edey's measurements naturally translate to effective rim protection in certain situations. He simply takes up too much airspace for technique or positioning to consistently matter. Edey also averaged just 2.0 fouls for his career, a reflection of his ability to stay vertical but also his willingness to know when he's beaten.
Weaknesses
Spoiler:
Fit in today's NBA

Despite raising his level of dominance over the years, Edey's skill set hasn't evolved. And NBA teams just aren't going to feed him in the post possession after possession the way Purdue did.

While there are plenty of NBA centers who also don't dribble or shoot, they're either mobile rim runners, impact rim protectors or they require specific lineups with floor-spacing forwards.

A wild statistic from the season is Edey's zero made field goals in transition. And despite having shot-blocking ability, a 6.9 block percentage is underwhelming for a player his size.

Defensive versatility

Edey did have some struggles making reads in pick-and-roll coverage, something we saw multiple times in the national championship game against Connecticut. Opponents will surely make an effort to pull him away from the basket.

Edey ultimately offers no versatility to play or guard any other position but center, and even at the 5, he'll be at a disadvantage in certain games with how many more stretch bigs and ball-handlers have emerged.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:13 pm

Edey next to Trae on offense would be absolutely amazing.

Lobs for days:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:52 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,030

Post#84 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I shudder at the thought.

Yes, we don't need him in our division.
I believe Charlotte will even be a problem soon for us.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:Zach Edey, 7-4 center, Purdue, No. 21

It might look strange to have the guy who dropped 37 points and 10 rebounds in the national title game lower than his counterpart, but I thought Clingan actually really made Edey work for his buckets when he was in the game.

Edey got off to an awesome start, scoring an early 16 points in the first 12 minutes. But from that point forward, I’d argue Clingan completely shut off his water. From the eight-minute mark of the first half all the way to the eight-minute mark of the second half, Edey only had six points. He had 22 points on 18 shots in the first 32 minutes of the game, which are really the ones where the result was in question. That eight-minute mark is when UConn went up by 17 and essentially ended the game.

Edey went 6-of-7 down the stretch and had 15 points in the final eight minutes, but a large portion of those shots were defended by Alex Karaban, as Connecticut went small late. Part of the reason Connecticut went small was because Edey forced Clingan and backup center Samson Johnson into foul trouble, but it didn’t really result in the game staying close. So while, 37 points and 10 rebounds is incredible, I think that stat line overstated Edey’s impact on the game a bit, and I felt like Clingan actually got the better of him when the result was in question.

Edey also had a few moments on defense that popped for scouts and flagged limitations. Particularly, early in the second half, Johnson caught him on a pair of pick-and-roll dives to the rim that gave evaluators pause. Johnson is the kind of athletic, springy big man whom Edey will be asked to defend in the NBA. He had no issue simply beating Edey to the spot to open up himself for a lob.

That said, I have a strong grade on Edey and think he’s a solidified first-round pick. He is so strong and physical that I think he’ll be able to establish position on nearly anyone in the NBA. He was the best screener in the country this season and made underrated strides in drop coverage defensively. Edey also is in condition and had no problem running out 40-minute games, a remarkable feat for a player his size. I buy him being more than just the Boban Marjanović type to which he’s often compared.
The Athletic
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#86 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:34 pm

Top per 36 scorer and rebounder and then there is his size
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:56 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Top per 36 scorer and rebounder and then there is his size

I do believe he will be a useful contributor, but he has some clear limitations.

What are your thoughts on taking him at #10?
Get him here at any point?
Trade back and hope he's there?
Avoid him in the lottery at all costs?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#88 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

I do believe he will be a useful contributor, but he has some clear limitations.

I've been clear that I love him and that I didn't understand sites listing him as a SRP. I have my eye on three center: Fili, Clingan and Edey

Fili and Clingan seem to be 10-14 type picks and I put Edey somewhere around 20. I really wish we had recieved that SAC pick and gone BPA at any position but PG with #10 and Edey with SAC pick

I agree on the limitations, but I think that the team and coach need to do a good job of optimizing talent and hiding limitations.

Somewhat concered at Quin's lack of doing that. I expected him to make a difference and so far hasn't been the case
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#90 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Top 10 pick?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#92 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:35 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Top 10 pick?

Top 10 picks usually get used on young players with high levels of potential.
In the last 5 drafts the oldest players taken in the top-10 are:

DeAndre Hunter, Obi Toppin, Davion Mitchell and Keegan Murray. Not exactly an all star team in terms of talent.

I expect Edey will go in the 11-20 range to a more competitive team that needs some beef in the frontcourt to counter Wemby, Jokic or Embiid.

Houston, OKC, Miami, Toronto seem like strong possibilities.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#93 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,941

Post#94 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:17 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I've been clear that I love him and that I didn't understand sites listing him as a SRP. I have my eye on three center: Fili, Clingan and Edey

Fili and Clingan seem to be 10-14 type picks and I put Edey somewhere around 20. I really wish we had recieved that SAC pick and gone BPA at any position but PG with #10 and Edey with SAC pick

I agree on the limitations, but I think that the team and coach need to do a good job of optimizing talent and hiding limitations.

Somewhat concered at Quin's lack of doing that. I expected him to make a difference and so far hasn't been the case

He was listed as a 2nd round pick after last year's combine based on feedback fromteams. That's why he went back to school to improve his stock.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#95 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:13 pm

jayu70 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

He was listed as a 2nd round pick after last year's combine based on feedback fromteams. That's why he went back to school to improve his stock.

If he slips into the late first round, I really want the Hawks to make a move to get him

Return to Atlanta Hawks