Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Prospect Spotlight: Zach Edey 

Post#41 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:01 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:Zach Edey | 7-4 center | 22 years old | Purdue

Edey continues to be nothing short of the best player in college basketball yet again. He’s averaging 23 points, 12 rebounds and over two blocks per game. He establishes position anywhere and everywhere on the court because of how big and strong he is, and he has touch around the rim. He’s probably most underrated as a big in ball-screen actions. He has a case as the best screener in all of college basketball, consistently crushing guards trying to get through and rolling to the rim either into post-ups or easy buckets.

I think Edey has grown defensively over his time in college. He’s a really good, impactful drop-coverage defender for Purdue now. Around the basket, he consistently impacts the game and dissuades guards from trying to drive and finish with how much space he takes up. The questions here are obvious, though. He’s a 7-4 supergiant who doesn’t move particularly well. Can he stop the corner from getting turned on him enough? Can he get back consistently in transition defense in the up-and-down NBA?

I consistently get feedback regarding Edey that he’ll likely be taken in the first round.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:53 am

Man, Trae Young would have a field day feeding this dude in the paint against mismatches all game long.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#43 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:05 am

Despite his huge numbers Tankathon has him at #35 in their mock. Ware #19, Missi #15, Clingan #13 and Filipowski #11

Definately want a center with one of our picks, just not sure which one. I think that Edey will go in the first though
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#44 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:36 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Despite his huge numbers Tankathon has him at #35 in their mock. Ware #19, Missi #15, Clingan #13 and Filipowski #11

Definately want a center with one of our picks, just not sure which one. I think that Edey will go in the first though

Draft boards are all over the place with Edey. DX/ESPN has him at 13, Athletic 30th, the rest, 2nd round.

I don't believe there is a wider margin between me and others outside of DX than on Zach Edey.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:26 pm

Jeremy Woo wrote:2024 NBA draft rankings

15. Zach Edey | C | Purdue

7-4 | Age: 21.8

;pp=ygUJemFjaCBlZGV5

One of the more unique storylines to follow going into March and, ultimately, the draft will be whether Edey can anchor a deep Purdue tournament run and which teams will deem his unique set of strengths worth the pick. The other salient question is where in the draft it becomes a positive value proposition to select a throwback big of his ilk. Some things will clearly translate: Edey is dominant within five feet of the basket, offers more mobility than most players his size and is extremely tough and competitive. But the pace of NBA games and emphasis on space and attacking matchups make him an acquired taste for some, due to questions about how well it translates to an expanded role. His unique profile might help transcend the mold.
ESPN Insider
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:27 pm

;pp=ygUJemFjaCBlZGV5
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:50 am

King Ken wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:Despite his huge numbers Tankathon has him at #35 in their mock. Ware #19, Missi #15, Clingan #13 and Filipowski #11

Draft boards are all over the place with Edey. DX/ESPN has him at 13, Athletic 30th, the rest, 2nd round.

I don't believe there is a wider margin between me and others outside of DX than on Zach Edey.
He seems designed for success even without deep range. If he ends up developing into becoming a three point threat he will obviously be a huge problem. Teams will need to do all they can and find quality size that can try to contest Wemby.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
King Ken
General Manager

Post#48 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:58 am

HMFFL wrote:
King Ken wrote:

He seems designed for success even without deep range. If he ends up developing into becoming a three point threat he will obviously be a huge problem. Teams will need to do all they can and find quality size that can try to contest Wemby.

He can shoot it if asked

https://youtu.be/qbZVq79g8yc?si=IYGeYiVnQUti2695
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:01 am

HMFFL wrote:He seems designed for success even without deep range. If he ends up developing into becoming a three point threat he will obviously be a huge problem. Teams will need to do all they can and find quality size that can try to contest Wemby.

Wemby, Jokic and Embiid.

Edey will be drafted with hopes of being an MVP stopper.

He has the strength, size and work ethic. If he can just rebound and block shots at an elite level, he'll find work for the next decade.

(I hope he gets some one on one tutelage from Olajuwon/Ewing/Shaq once he gets in the league.)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#50 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 pm

If he's there with the Sacramento pick, we have to select him...particularly if we go small with the first selection.

Sam Vecenie wrote:Zach Edey | 7-4 center | 22 years old | Purdue

Edey continues to be nothing short of the best player in college basketball, averaging 24.2 points, 11.7 rebounds and over two blocks per game on his way to back-to-back National Player of the Year awards. He establishes position anywhere and everywhere on the court because of his size and strength, yet he possesses remarkable touch around the rim. He’s somehow underrated in ball-screen actions. One could make the case that he’s the best screen-setter in the country with the way he consistently crushes guards trying to get through and rolls to the rim for deep post-ups or easy buckets.

I also think Edey has improved defensively over his time in college. He become a good, impactful drop-coverage pick-and-roll defender and takes up enough space to dissuade guard from driving and finishing around the basket.

The issue with his fit in the NBA are obvious: He’s a 7-4 supergiant who doesn’t move particularly well laterally. Can he stop ballhandlers from turning the corner on him? Can he get back in transition in the up-and-down NBA?

Still, I consistently am told Edey is likely be taken in the first round, outside of the lottery.
The Athletic
King Ken
General Manager

Post#53 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:46 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:57 pm

Grambling, sadly, isn't a high level basketball program. (They're basically a bunch of YMCA guys with modest coaching.)

But Edey stood tall against smaller, less talented opponents. (A year after losing as a #1 seed.)

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#55 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:44 pm

Salaun and Edey please. I enjoyed Jamaal and K Ken back and forth about Edey. I lean more to Ken's argument. I think that you can turn Edey into a quality NBA C. And he BIG
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am

The Good

The Bad

1)
Read on Twitter

2)
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:14 am

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:17 am

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#59 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:28 am

I expect him to do well in the NBA.
He could very well be exactly what we need inside.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:02 pm

Edey will be an elite rim protector, rebounder, screen setter on day *one of the NBA. If he can consistently hit 12-15 foot jumpers on top of catching lobs and scoring on putbacks -- Edey becomes a pretty consistent 20 ppg scorer very early on in his career.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks