Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#241 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:30 pm

Think early career Kyle Kuzma.

Tristan da Silva - Colorado - PF

6’9” senior Tristan Da Silva ranks 30th on our board. The sell is very straightforward—he’s tall, he shoots, and he knows how to play. Over the past three seasons, Da Silva has shot a combined 38.3% from beyond the arc. Even better, he’s increased his volume every single year. He has sharp instincts as a passer. He’s not flashy, but he’ll whip the ball to teammates in a hurry when he finds an opening. Da Silva’s length and feel have enabled him to consistently post solid steal and block numbers. He has a good three-point percentage, strong assist-to-turnover ratio, and decent defensive metrics at 6’9” but a solid floor on his draft stock.

The question then turns to this: how much upside is there? Da Silva is on the older size, and while he’s definitely gotten better over the years, it’s unclear how much potential he still has. He’s had issues playing through physicality on offense at times, which makes for a trickier NBA projection. On defense, he can be a bit of a clunky lateral mover, and stronger players may overpower him.

Da Silva has long been a guy who is reasonably draftable in that 20-45 range. Now, he’ll have one last chance in the college setting to get teams more excited about him.
No Ceilings
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#242 » by King Ken » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
King Ken wrote:I didn't think about it at the time because I've been avoiding doing post season work during season but if we trade Murray, backup PG becomes a bigger need than backup PF especially since the org believes in Gueye. Right now, our backup PG is Murray but after that is Forrest. No way is Forrest ready for being a 2nd PG on any team. So, trading Murray creates a new hole.

Really good point. And it does put the Kobe Bufkin draft pick in a better light if they have suspected for a while that Trae/DeJounte wasn't a long term pairing.

Draftees to consider for backup PG minutes:

1. Devin Carter - elite defender at the PG position. Davion Mitchell clone, Trent Forrest Forrest with a jumper, Alex Caruso without the bulk.
  2. Jared McCain - sweet shooting 3&D PG who lacks creativity but can make opposing defenses pay for sagging off him
  3. Tyler Kolek - unathletic, offensive engine, TJ McConnell clone

These are all good options. My favorite being Carter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#243 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 pm

Read on Twitter

10. Atlanta Hawks

Tidjane Salaun | 6-9 wing/forward | 18 years old | Cholet

Salaun is another bigger wing/forward archetype of prospect with perimeter skill, and the Hawks need more of those attributes around Trae Young, Jalen Johnson and Kobe Bufkin. At 6-9, Salaun has been productive this season in the French League and Basketball Champions League, averaging 9.3 points and 3.8 rebounds while shooting 35 percent from behind the 3-point line. He has a smooth stroke that should have no issues translating to NBA range, and he can attack the rim on cuts and straight-line drives.

I’m a bit lower than consensus on him, though, because I am worried about his overall feel for the game. I also view him as a more of a forward than a true wing athletically, which could hinder his positional flexibility. But he’s extremely young and has all the time in the world to gain a better understanding of the game. Many teams see him as a real option starting in the back half of the lottery.

20. Atlanta Hawks (via Kings)

Tyler Smith | 6-11 big | 19 years old | G League Ignite

Smith is an upside swing for a team seeking a big with perimeter skills. He’s an unfinished player right now, but it’s hard to find big athletes who can shoot like him. At 6-11 with about a 7-1 wingspan, Smith is a fluid athlete who moves well in transition and off the ball on offense. He’s a strong backdoor cutter and has the leaping ability to be able to play out of the dunker spot. More than that, Smith has a beautiful jumper that should translate well to the NBA as he gets stronger and more consistent. He’s hit 35.4 percent from 3 on his way to 13.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. He and Holland have been arguably the two most consistent Ignite players this season.

On the other hand, Smith’s defense needs a lot of work, whether he’s defending fours or fives. He’s messy in help situations and needs to get much more comfortable executing within a team’s scheme. It’s hard to see him logging a lot of minutes early in his NBA career, but the former five-star prospect could become a difference-maker down the road if his team is patient.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#244 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:37 pm

Experienced PG options in this draft:

Devin Carter | 6-3 guard | 22 years old | Providence

Carter is one of the best players in college basketball this season. The son of former NBA point guard Anthony Carter, Devin was terrific in 2022-23 after transferring from South Carolina but has leapt to another level this season. Carter has always been a terrific defensive player, rightfully nominated as a semifinalist for National Defensive Player of the Year. He is aggressive at the point of attack and has elite off-ball defensive instincts. His elite athleticism is basketball-functional and allows him to fly around the court.

His biggest jump this season has come on offense. After years of being a questionable shooter, Carter hit 38.5 percent of his nearly seven 3-point attempts per game this season. His shot is something of a moon ball that arcs high in the air before falling, but it goes in at a level that is hard to ignore.

His NBA role still projects to be a 3-and-D guard who can do a little bit more. Teams will want to get him into their building to see how his shot looks from the NBA line.
The Athletic

Tyler Kolek | 6-3 guard | 23 years old | Marquette

Before an oblique injury that held him out the Big East tournament, Kolek had gone nuclear. From Jan. 15 until Feb. 25, Marquette went 10-1 as Kolek averaged 16.9 points and 9.6 assists per game while shooting 48.6 percent from the field and 44 percent from 3. However, his injury could end up hindering him in the NCAA Tournament, if he plays as expected. Marquette desperately needs him to be healthy to make a deep run.

Kolek is a crafty guard. I’m not convinced he can even dunk, but he knows exactly how to play off two feet and is an elite distributor in ball screens. He’s made a big leap as a shooter this season, drilling more than 40 percent from 3 while looking much more confident pulling up when the opportunity arises. Kolek will need to prove he has the footspeed to hold up on defense in the NBA, and he’ll need to prove he can create separation with the ball in his hands against better defenders. But any team looking for a backup point guard could plug Kolek in early. Indiana’s T.J. McConnell is a name that often comes up as a comparison.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#245 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut

I still have Castle in my top six, and I can’t figure out why the public seems hesitant to embrace his accomplishments this season. He has been outstanding since returning from an injury earlier this season. Since the calendar turned to 2024, Castle has averaged 12.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.1 assists over 18 games while shooting 47.9 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from 3. Since Jan. 28, his long-range accuracy has risen to 37.9 percent on 2.4 3s per game. He is a terrific connective tissue for the best team in the country and consistently impacts the game in multiple facets.

On top of that, Castle has played at a really high level on defense, taking on a variety of tough assignments ranging from point-of-attack matchups to difficult off-ball help responsibilities. He guarded Creighton All-American candidate Baylor Scheierman as well as anyone has all season, holding the Blue Jays’ star to just 24 points in 71 minutes on 7-of-18 shooting across two games. Castle’s versatility has been a huge part of Connecticut’s stingy defense.

Teams still question whether Castle can play point guard at the next level or if he’s more of a secondary ballhandler, which I think is more likely. Some evaluators also wonder if his jumper will translate to the NBA. But Sheppard is the only other freshman in the country consistently impacting games this positively on both ends of the court, and whereas Sheppard’s Wildcats are considered a vulnerable No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, Castle’s Huskies are the clear No. 1 team. If Castle’s jumper sticks at the next level, there’s a case for him to go in the top three.

Donovan Clingan | 7-2 center | 20 years old | Connecticut

Oklahoma City wants to be able to play with five shooters spaced along the 3-point line at all times. Typically, the biggest impediment to that goal is the difficulty of finding centers with legitimate size for the position who can also dribble, pass and shoot. The Thunder might end up having to settle for more of a complement to Chet Holmgren than a clear scheme fit.

Clingan would be that complement. He can run dribble-handoffs and really pass for a player his size. He’s excellent as a screener and can roll well to the rim. Scouts also will tell you his jumper looks clean in Connecticut practices, even if most are skeptical he’ll ever be an NBA-level 3-point shooter.

Clingan has had an up-and-down year after injuring his foot in the preseason and his ankle midway through the regular season. When he’s been on the court, he’s been one of the most dominant players in college basketball. He completely shuts down the paint when he’s in the game, using an enormous frame that takes up a significant portion of the paint. He moves well for his size and is elite in drop coverage defensively, stopping ballhandlers from turning the corner on him and getting to the rim. His ability to backpedal on-balance is very real. When not defending the ball, he makes his presence felt when necessary.

Evaluators aren’t sure how long Clingan can actually play within games. He was essentially a part-time player as a freshman on the way to Connecticut’s title run and has seen limited minutes this season due to his injuries. The good news: Clingan has averaged 25 minutes per game since Feb. 6 and been spectacular, notching 12.6 points, nine rebounds, two assists and three blocks per contest while locking down the restricted area. If Connecticut goes on an NCAA Tournament run, his draft position will rise.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#246 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:50 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#247 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:45 pm

Ron Holland | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | G League Ignite

Holland was the Ignite’s most productive player this season, averaging 19.5 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game while being one of the team’s few sources of offensive creation. However, most of those points came in transition or inefficiently in half-court settings. He had a below-average true shooting percentage and more turnovers than assists as he struggled with his decision-making. That’s somewhat to be expected from an 18-year-old playing professionally for the first time, but it also has left evaluators in a tricky spot as they try to determine where to slot him. He’ll miss the rest of the G League season with a thumb injury.

Holland’s motor is what excites NBA teams most. He constantly plays hard, getting the most out of his terrific athleticism by going 100 percent at every moment. His energy can sometimes bite him on defense when he gets overaggressive and overly physical. But amid the Ignite’s poor season, Holland has at least continued to improve, showcasing a capacity for growth that impressed evaluators.

It seems like Holland’s range is from picks No. 4 to No. 12 right now. Some evaluators who have gone back through his tape now that his season is over have come away a bit more understanding and impressed with his play this season. Pre-draft workouts will play a huge role in determining his draft position, especially if he shoots the ball well in front of NBA executives.
The Athletic
King Ken
General Manager

Post#248 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Ron Holland | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | G League Ignite

Holland was the Ignite’s most productive player this season, averaging 19.5 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game while being one of the team’s few sources of offensive creation. However, most of those points came in transition or inefficiently in half-court settings. He had a below-average true shooting percentage and more turnovers than assists as he struggled with his decision-making. That’s somewhat to be expected from an 18-year-old playing professionally for the first time, but it also has left evaluators in a tricky spot as they try to determine where to slot him. He’ll miss the rest of the G League season with a thumb injury.

Holland’s motor is what excites NBA teams most. He constantly plays hard, getting the most out of his terrific athleticism by going 100 percent at every moment. His energy can sometimes bite him on defense when he gets overaggressive and overly physical. But amid the Ignite’s poor season, Holland has at least continued to improve, showcasing a capacity for growth that impressed evaluators.

It seems like Holland’s range is from picks No. 4 to No. 12 right now. Some evaluators who have gone back through his tape now that his season is over have come away a bit more understanding and impressed with his play this season. Pre-draft workouts will play a huge role in determining his draft position, especially if he shoots the ball well in front of NBA executives.
The Athletic

He reminds me of Gerald "Crash" Wallace
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#249 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#250 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:05 pm

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#251 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:44 pm

An announcement from Jalen Johnson's brother...

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#252 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:20 pm

I'm liking what I'm seeing from TSJ with the Sac pick.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#253 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:36 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I'm liking what I'm seeing from TSJ with the Sac pick.

I don't know who that is.......................................................................................................
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#254 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:I'm liking what I'm seeing from TSJ with the Sac pick.

I don't know who that is.......................................................................................................

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#255 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:11 pm

Two games in a row, under high pressure, that Tristan has performed well in an elimination game.

Battle hardened upperclassmen get the job done in the postseason.

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#256 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:50 pm

So many people saying this is a weak draft. Sure no Wemby but I think that this will turn out to be a deep, quality draft.

Hope our FO knows what they doing :noway:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#257 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:23 pm

TK will be an above average backup in the league...and maybe a solid starter in the right situation.

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager

Post#258 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:33 am

Jamaaliver wrote:TK will be an above average backup in the league...and maybe a solid starter in the right situation.

Read on Twitter

He's the best floor general in the draft. I wonder just how much upside he really has. You just never know. I though it was crazy when I saw him in the top 20 in the 247sports mock but damn, he might be more than what people expect. His passing is very nifty. He was much better than I expected as a passer. His feel is just so much higher than I expected. I was expecting Luke Riduour, I got vibes of Steve Nash.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#259 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:52 am

International prospects get basically no love after February...until combine and workouts begin.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#260 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:53 am

Still #1 on my board for the whole draft.

Brandon Ingram/MPJ caliber prospect with better defense.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks