ImageImage

What does the ideal lineup around Trae even look like?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,528

Re: What does the ideal lineup around Trae even look like? 

Post#81 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:58 pm

:gossip:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,952

Post#82 » by jayu70 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:06 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::gossip:

Read on Twitter

He said Hawks didn't even offer him a deal to return.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#83 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:55 pm

This season it should have been

Trae / Murray / JJ / OO / Cap
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 pm

JC was the most dangerous PnR partner in the league last year. And for years before that in the pre-Clint era.

This is what Hawks were missing this year on the court and in the locker room.
An elite play finisher/rim runner/screener.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:02 am

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,057

Post#86 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
Key number there and hopefully Quin knows it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#87 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 am

Jamaaliver wrote:JC was the most dangerous PnR partner in the league last year. And for years before that in the pre-Clint era.

This is what Hawks were missing this year on the court and in the locker room.
An elite play finisher/rim runner/screener.

Read on Twitter
The JC debacle will go down as a mystery to me after four tears of trade rumors and then we don't pursue anybody that can bring the energy like he did.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#88 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 pm

HMFFL wrote:The JC debacle will go down as a mystery to me after four tears of trade rumors and then we don't pursue anybody that can bring the energy like he did.

Agreed.

Dumping young talent like Collins and Huerter with no in-rotation upgrades was the beginning of the team's downfall.

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,512

Post#89 » by dms269 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:01 pm

It just shocks me that our options were either build a roster around Trae to meet his strengths or work with what we have by changing our philosophy and we picked NEITHER and tried to force our current players to be what Trae needs.

Square peg in round hole
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:20 pm

Filipowski is absolutely a stretch PF. That's probably the position/role he's best suited to.
At 7'0", he can play some minutes at backup Center, too...depending on the matchup.

I honestly think that simply getting a larger 3&D SG/SF in the lineup next to Trae will solve most of our perimeter issues moving forward.

Even if the Hawks just have to turn to Vit Krejci and Bogdan Bogdanovic at the 2 and 3 spots. :o

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I really want the Hawks to go big. So tired of 6'10" being our tallest player and under-sized at nearly every position

If we had SAC pick I would seriously consider Fili and Edey. I think that Fili can play some stretch PF

Trae / Murray* / JJ / Fili / Edey and size problem solved

* Would also look to flip Muuray to a PG needy team for a real SG with better size
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 pm

dms269 wrote:It just shocks me that our options were either build a roster around Trae to meet his strengths or work with what we have by changing our philosophy and we picked NEITHER and tried to force our current players to be what Trae needs.

I don't think that's what happened...
The entire Hawks roster, coaching staff and front office have all changed in an effort to cater to Trae's abilities.

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,512

Post#92 » by dms269 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
dms269 wrote:It just shocks me that our options were either build a roster around Trae to meet his strengths or work with what we have by changing our philosophy and we picked NEITHER and tried to force our current players to be what Trae needs.

The entire Hawks roster, coaching staff and front office have all changed in an effort to cater to Trae's abilities.

I can't agree that they have changed in an effort to cater to Trae's ability. They have changed all right, just not trying to cater to what Trae needs to be successful. Hunter could have been, but the injuries are killing him. reddish was a boom player who busted, it happens.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#93 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Filipowski is absolutely a stretch PF. That's probably the position/role he's best suited to.
At 7'0", he can play some minutes at backup Center, too...depending on the matchup.

I honestly think that simply getting a larger 3&D SG/SF in the lineup next to Trae will solve most of our perimeter issues moving forward.

Even if the Hawks just have to turn to Vit Krejci and Bogdan Bogdanovic at the 2 and 3 spots. :o

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I really want the Hawks to go big. So tired of 6'10" being our tallest player and under-sized at nearly every position

If we had SAC pick I would seriously consider Fili and Edey. I think that Fili can play some stretch PF

Trae / Murray* / JJ / Fili / Edey and size problem solved

* Would also look to flip Muuray to a PG needy team for a real SG with better size
Random question: What would Kevin Durant's impact be if we had him at the 3?

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:56 pm

HMFFL wrote:Random question: What would Kevin Durant's impact be if we had him at the 3?

Durant played SF effectively when he first came into the league. His ability to operate off the dribble and shoot from three allows him to slide there pretty effectively.

I think the biggest adjustment would be the two ball dominant PGs sharing the ball with another ball dominant scorer. Especially one who loves to score in the mid range similar to Dejounte.

GSW made it work with Durant next to a couple of guard scorers.
Brooklyn and PHX have had mixed results.

TL:DR: I think we'd be a better defensive team with him and would have ample spacing.
But it would likely devolve into your turn my turn a lot on offense.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 982

Post#95 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:01 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Yes and no.

The ECF's run, was a glimpse of what a Trae Young team needed, but was far from complete. We needed stronger defenders, size, versatility, and a clear cut #2 that would compliment Trae. This is where I think the "building around Trae" should've started.

The roster has certainly changed up to now, but it never seemed as though we made moves geared towards building around Trae. One could argue the DJM trade was a knee jerk reaction from us waiting too late to move current players at the time, in hopes that we could still make them work.

For **** and giggles, and I understand there's some hindsight at play here, but let's say we trade JC in whatever kind of deal that landed us Lauri Markkanen, who has size, versatility, and a decent defender, and signed for 67 million that same summer, while being a better fit next to Clint. That's literally a JC replacement and a better overall fit for almost 50 million less. That's likely going to allow us to keep Huerter. Assuming Lauri progresses the way he has up to now, do we even trade for DJM? Do we extend Hunter?

Would the following at least be worth watching with Quin coaching:

PG: Trae/Delon Wright/Kobe
SG: Huerter/Bogi
SF:JJ/Bey
PF: Lauri/OO
C : Capela/OO

Mind you, we still have our future FRP's, better fits, whatever we get for Hunter, plenty of salary flexibility, and a sense of direction. Most importantly, our drafts start to make more sense. FWIW, I would have traded for Thybulle instead of Bey or maybe even just get both.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Yes and no.

The ECF's run, was a glimpse of what a Trae Young team needed, but was far from complete. We needed stronger defenders, size, versatility, and a clear cut #2 that would compliment Trae. This is where I think the "building around Trae" should've started.

The roster has certainly changed up to now, but it never seemed as though we made moves geared towards building around Trae. One could argue the DJM trade was a knee jerk reaction from us waiting too late to move current players at the time, in hopes that we could still make them work.

For **** and giggles, and I understand there's some hindsight at play here, but let's say we trade JC in whatever kind of deal that landed us Lauri Markkanen, who has size, versatility, and a decent defender, and signed for 67 million that same summer, while being a better fit next to Clint. That's literally a JC replacement and a better overall fit for almost 50 million less. That's likely going to allow us to keep Huerter. Assuming Lauri progresses the way he has up to now, do we even trade for DJM? Do we extend Hunter?

Would the following at least be worth watching with Quin coaching:

PG: Trae/Delon Wright/Kobe
SG: Huerter/Bogi
SF:JJ/Bey
PF: Lauri/OO
C : Capela/OO

Mind you, we still have our future FRP's, better fits, whatever we get for Hunter, plenty of salary flexibility, and a sense of direction. Most importantly, our drafts start to make more sense. FWIW, I would have traded for Thybulle instead of Bey or maybe even just get both.

These are good points, all.

Another factor i often consider: Travis reportedly really coveted a 3&D wing next to Trae. He allegedly offered Huerter to NOP for Josh Hart and tried to trade up in 2022 draft (presumably) for Jalen Williams.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
If he executes either of those moves, we likely don't pursue DJM. We move on from Gallinari who's final contract year was only partially guaranteed - this keeps us financially flexible.

JW and/or J Hart solve most of our perimeter issues. And we still have our future FRP's, plenty of salary flexibility, and a sense of direction.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#97 » by Jamaaliver » Today 1:56 pm

Legend. I'd love to get him here.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Today 2:32 pm

My favorite player during the 2018 draft process. He'd be great here in a platoon with OO.

We could get at least 17 games a year of really high level basketball before they each injure the other giving high fives in the huddle.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks