ImageImage

Young Center Prospects to Consider

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which Big Man would you like to see Hawks pursue in this year's draft?

Poll runs till Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Donovan Clingan
No votes
Kyle Filipowski
No votes
Zach Edey
50%
Kel'el Ware
25%
Yves Missi
No votes
Oso Ighodaro
No votes
DaRon Holmes II
25%
Adem Bona
No votes

Total votes: 4

raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Re: Young Center Prospects to Consider 

Post#101 » by raleigh » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:25 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm so tired of seeing opposing bigs get these types of numbers against us.

If we add Edey or Clingan next season, interior defense and rebounding would no longer be an issue.

The defensive problems start on the perimeter, so Edey playing drop 12 mpg isn't changing anything.

Clingan, if healthy, could help but it usually takes anchors a few seasons to adjust. If you're wanting immediate results, then a trade for a vet big made more sense.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,531

Post#102 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 pm

raleigh wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'm so tired of seeing opposing bigs get these types of numbers against us.

If we add Edey or Clingan next season, interior defense and rebounding would no longer be an issue.

The defensive problems start on the perimeter, so Edey playing drop 12 mpg isn't changing anything.

Clingan, if healthy, could help but it usually takes anchors a few seasons to adjust. If you're wanting immediate results, then a trade for a vet big made more sense.

Nah.

Perimeter issues have nothing to do with Gobert dropping 25/19 on us last week or Andre Drummond dropping 24/25 on us last year.

A platoon of 23 year old Okongwu and 22 year old Zach Edey immediately prevents opposing bigs from dominating us in the lane and on the glass the way teams have feasted for the last year plus:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Post#103 » by raleigh » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:53 am

Again, the problems start on the perimeter. Gobert and Drummond are finishers.

Solve the core issue first.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,512

Post#104 » by dms269 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am

raleigh wrote:Again, the problems start on the perimeter. Gobert and Drummond are finishers.

Our interior is extremely weak though. JJ and Okongwu are not a duo that can play together.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:44 pm

raleigh wrote:Again, the problems start on the perimeter. Gobert and Drummond are finishers.

No. Andre Drummond averaged 18 rebounds per game against Atlanta this season.
Rudy Gobert averaged 16 rebounds per game against Atlanta this season.

That has nothing to do with the perimeter players.
It's a failure by the frontcourt.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,952

Post#106 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

we have had a size and defense issue in the front court all season. JJ getting injured, followed by Dre - in both instances Bey was tasked as the fill-in starter. Love his effort and grit, but just not big enough to play PF for extended games and minutes and then at SF - just not good enough defensively and then he lost his 3 pt shot when we needed it the most. Clint lost a step this season, except for maybe in March where he looked close to the ECF Clint. OO disappointed: he didn't take the next much anticipated next step. I expected him to be starting for Clint by January, he couldn't even beat him out to finish games and play more minutes. Then of course, the minute he gets his starting change - got injured.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,512

Post#107 » by dms269 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

we have had a size and defense issue in the front court all season. JJ getting injured, followed by Dre - in both instances Bey was tasked as the fill-in starter. Love his effort and grit, but just not big enough to play PF for extended games and minutes and then at SF - just not good enough defensively and then he lost his 3 pt shot when we needed it the most. Clint lost a step this season, except for maybe in March where he looked close to the ECF Clint. OO disappointed: he didn't take the next much anticipated next step. I expected him to be starting for Clint by January, he couldn't even beat him out to finish games and play more minutes. Then of course, the minute he gets his starting change - got injured.

I would argue we started the season with the issue in the front court.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,061

Post#108 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 pm

King Ken wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
King Ken wrote:I wasn't a big fan of him as a prospect but I like him a lot more as a pro. He just needs to lock into a role. Monty is elite at that. Duren wants to have elite success, just listen to Monty. He got Ayton paid
Monty is elite?
He seems to struggle as a coach except for being handed guaranteed contracts.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Monty has always had an excellent rep for being able to develop players into effective roles.
The Pistons don't seem want him now but they gave him $80m guaranteed. He's vastly overrated as a coach. He lost any support I had for him during his time in Phoenix.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#110 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#111 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 2, 2024 6:50 pm

I feel like all the pressure Trae is publicly putting on the front office to field a more competitive team really limits who they can pursue in the draft. Top 10 picks should be used on long term projects with high potential ceiling.

Kyle is probably the closest thing to a compromise we'll find at this pick.

• Experienced and physically strong enough to realistically contribute as a rookie. (He can serve as our backup Center on Day One.)
  • Young enough to still have some upside long term based on his skill set. (If his shooting continues to progress, he's easily a borderline All Star in his prime years.)

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,952

Post#112 » by jayu70 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I feel like all the pressure Trae is publicly putting on the front office to field a more competitive team really limits who they can pursue in the draft. Top 10 picks should be used on long term projects with high potential ceiling.

Kyle is probably the closest thing to a compromise we'll find at this pick.

• Experienced and physically strong enough to realistically contribute as a rookie. (He can serve as our backup Center on Day One.)
  • Young enough to still have some upside long term based on his skill set. (If his shooting continues to progress, he's easily a borderline All Star in his prime years.)

OR...MAYBE...we trade the pick for real help? Don't have a target or anything, but............
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 982

Post#113 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu May 2, 2024 11:16 pm

I've started to sour a bit on Filipowski. Would love him as a 4, but not really in love with him at the 5 spot. Just don't see him physically strong enough to bang for rebounds and his length is average. Would be great spacing the floor.

Among the center's I want Clingan the most(outside of Sarr). You want an eraser behind Trae? Clingan does that well. Need size to handle the bigger, stronger 5's in the league? Clingan has that.

He's got some mobility and touch around the rim to boot. An underrated facet of his game, is his IQ and ability to post and repost. He's got a good feel for the game as a passer too that nobody talks much about. He'll never be a force on offense, but he's got the complimentary game you can utilize with Trae. I think he's got a lot of room as a shooter. He'll obviously need to improve here, but I wouldn't overlook him just because he isn't an elite, 40% threat. We could really use a Walker Kessler type of big.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,061

Post#114 » by HMFFL » Yesterday 5:51 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:I've started to sour a bit on Filipowski. Would love him as a 4, but not really in love with him at the 5 spot. Just don't see him physically strong enough to bang for rebounds and his length is average. Would be great spacing the floor.

Among the center's I want Clingan the most(outside of Sarr). You want an eraser behind Trae? Clingan does that well. Need size to handle the bigger, stronger 5's in the league? Clingan has that.

He's got some mobility and touch around the rim to boot. An underrated facet of his game, is his IQ and ability to post and repost. He's got a good feel for the game as a passer too that nobody talks much about. He'll never be a force on offense, but he's got the complimentary game you can utilize with Trae. I think he's got a lot of room as a shooter. He'll obviously need to improve here, but I wouldn't overlook him just because he isn't an elite, 40% threat. We could really use a Walker Kessler type of big.
I expect Filipowski to have a long career in the league. I can see us benefiting from him but I believe we'll eventually need ta star center. Unless, Jaken becomes a superstar, and all time great. Otherwise, without a star big man, I don't think we'll have much success for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#115 » by D21 » Yesterday 4:00 pm

HMFFL wrote:I expect Filipowski to have a long career in the league. I can see us benefiting from him but I believe we'll eventually need ta star center. Unless, Jaken becomes a superstar, and all time great. Otherwise, without a star big man, I don't think we'll have much success for a very long time.

We need a better starting C for sure, or at least a good one that can shoot 3s if Capela is dealt and Okongwu takes the starting job to come as 3rd guy of the PF/C rotation.
But a PF/C rotation of Okongwu/JJ/Filipowski is a small one... which mean that if you pick him in this draft, you have to deal Capela and Okongwu and get a big starting C
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Yesterday 4:47 pm

Ware is the single best fit next to Jalen, Okongwu, Dejounte or Trae:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#117 » by Jamaaliver » Yesterday 5:56 pm

Seeing the success Dereck Lively has had in rejuvenating the Mavericks, I'm really encouraged at the thought of what the right Rookie Center can do for us.

Picking at #10. Just like the Mavs last season.

NOTE: Kel'el Ware can do everything that Lively can...on Day ONE.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks