ImageImage

Hawks will choose between Trae or Dejounte this summer?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which Lead Guard would you like to see the Hawks keep this summer?

Poll runs till Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:57 pm

DeJounte
35%
Trae
30%
Both
9%
Neither
26%

Total votes: 23

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,011

Re: Hawks will choose between Trae or Dejounte this summer? 

Post#41 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:17 am

When I went to the Toronto vs Hawks game Trae hurt his finger but he didn't do anything positive before the injury or after. He didn't even need to show up to the arena.

When he decides to fold and play this way it's a disaster for the team.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#42 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:18 am

Ressler sees Trae as a cash cow. Since the only thing he cares about is money... I just don't see the Hawks voluntarily moving Trae. A full rebuild would be catastrophic money wise. Arena would be empty for years
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#43 » by dms269 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:12 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Ressler sees Trae as a cash cow. Since the only thing he cares about is money... I just don't see the Hawks voluntarily moving Trae. A full rebuild would be catastrophic money wise. Arena would be empty for years
That is the worry. However if Trae forces his hand by requesting (privately or publicly), he has no choice.

Nba trams aren't going down in value so if he can cut costs and still have value go up, why wouldn't he.

Wish we had a capable owner. Blank has basically told the Falcons/Utd do anything it takes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:23 am

tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#45 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:04 am

In the hypothetical that we trade Trae to SA. I suppose we get Vassell and K Johnson plus some salary filler, our picks back and the swap eliminated and then I would want minimum the 2024 TOR FRP. If the TOR FRP doesn't convey (top 6 protection) then we would have to get creative...maybe a 2024 pick swap where we get SA FRP in echange for one of our 2024 FRP...

I don't WANT to trade Trae, but if the writing is on the wall this would be the first time ever that we start a rebuild with big trade pieces to turbo charge the rebuild. Trae and Murray alone guarantee a HUGE start to the rebuild.

I would see JJ, Kobe and Mo Gueye as the only keepers. Maybe AJ. OO, AJ, K Johnson, Vassell and all the current vets on the team could / would be moved for draft assets or young players to develop.

If we could get their top 4 2024 FRP for the SAC 2024, we would be looking at a top 4 SA FRP, another top 10 ATL. Add the FRPs from a Murray trade and something from cleaning house (OO, KJ, Vassel, AJ, Hunter...etc) to set up the rebuild and think about 3 years of top picks during our rebuild. That would be A LOT of draft assets to do a rebuild right

Think about JJ / Kobe / Gueye and this year's FRPs Topic and Filipowski; that would be a very nice starting core of a rebuild to be followed by two or three years of top picks

Just a little day dreaming inspired by all the Trae trade talk
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#46 » by raleigh » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:09 pm

dms269 wrote:if Trae forces his hand

I think that's inevitable. There's no realistic way to build a top EC team with the current roster and assets.

The bad news: unless the Spurs are actually interested, it unfortunately makes some sense for the FO to wait until the summer of 2025 to trade him. If we all thought this current season was a disaster, wait until next year becomes a lame duck season.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#47 » by jayu70 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:55 pm

Team building is hard. The minute things get a little tough - it's let's get picks and more picks. To what end?
It took us how long to get another player worth even attempting to build around since Nique? Do the hard work!!
The instability with ownership and the FO is the biggest part of our overall problem.
All rebuilding does is just give Ressler more time to not spend any real money in putting a winning product on the court.
[Side Note: why are we so intent on providing SAS with another Dynasty? :nonono: ]
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#48 » by raleigh » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:04 pm

jayu70 wrote:The minute things get a little tough

Absolute nonsense. Trae has been in Atlanta for six seasons. We know what he is and what he isn't.

Want to know what really kills team building? Rose-colored glasses.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#49 » by jayu70 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:23 pm

raleigh wrote:
jayu70 wrote:The minute things get a little tough

Absolute nonsense. Trae has been in Atlanta for six seasons. We know what he is and what he isn't.

Want to know what really kills team building? Rose-colored glasses.

The first 2 years were a straight tank.
Hawks fist effort to build any kind of team started in year 3 when they signed effevective vet FAs in Gallo and Bogi. What have they done since then besides sign their own FAs then turn around and trade them for ZERO on court talent in an effort to save money and stay under the tax.
The pick we got for Huerter over 2 years ago still can't help us on the court today, and we did nothing with the savings. How long before whoever we get with that pick is able to contribute. 2/3/4 years?
What did they do last offseason to actually improve the talent on the court? Trade for Patty Mills and sign Wes Matthews? Tell me you honestly think those are playoff winning moves when you look at other moves teams are making?
Hawks have an ownership problem - meddlesome and cheap.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#50 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:23 am

What exacly has Resseler done to make you think that he has any intent to do what it takes to create a real winner? The man calling the shots has to want it and Resseler doesn't
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#51 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:25 am

Problem is though that Jayu is right too. If we rebuild, by the time the new team grows into something Resseler will go cheap again
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:51 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#53 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:02 am

I don't believe Trae will ever win championships unless he has a superstar big man. His shootings not consistent enough like Steph.

I expect Trae to eventually request out of Atlanta and I'm going to be curious which destinations are on his list.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:45 pm

Brad Botkin hates Trae almost as much as Kevin O'Connor.

Brad Botkin wrote:As Hawks ponder Trae Young trade, the next few weeks could help determine his future in Atlanta

In a sit-down interview with Taylor Rooks that aired on Tuesday, Trae Young said, in so many words, that he wants to remain with the Atlanta Hawks. He doesn't want to be traded. He wants to pursue a championship with the franchise that traded Luka Doncic to land him on draft night in 2018.

This was, and will remain, a talking point because there has been no shortage of Young trade rumors this season. The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor went on record last month saying it is "highly likely" that Young will be traded this offseason. Howard Beck reported that Atlanta already explored trading Young to the Spurs ahead of the February deadline.

But for the purposes of this conversation, we're...looking at the future out Atlanta's window.

Is trading Trae the wisest move?

It's getting easier and easier to say yes. Atlanta has regressed, relatively speaking, probably more than any team in the league since its surprising run to the 2021 conference finals, which now looks more like a fluke. The Hawks have legitimate talent. They traded for Dejounte Murray, but as a pairing he and Young have registered a negative point differential across almost two years. Young's defense, or lack thereof, and his stranglehold on the offense make it difficult for some to envision him captaining a contender.

It's also a matter of value. We know the Hawks looked into trading Murray as well, but he wasn't going to bring back the multiple first-round picks they covet. Young almost certainly will. But what kind of team do the Hawks want to be if they do end up trading Young? Does a fire sale ensue as they pivot into a full-on rebuild? Or do they believe they can reconstruct a more defensively capable roster around Murray and a suddenly untouchable Jalen Johnson?

If it's the latter, they're getting at least a peek at what life would be like without Young right now.

So yes, the Hawks have won four of their last six and in those four wins they have held their opponents to an average of 97.5 points per game. But they also won four of six just before Young went out: against the Lakers, Suns, Warriors and Raptors while playing the Clippers and Celtics tough.

Both, ultimately, are small windows into a big dilemma. Should the Hawks trade Young? It's a long-term question that cannot be answered with short-term data. That said, the Hawks are paying attention to the look and feel of the team without Young right now, and they will continue do so over the next three weeks or so, you can count on that.

You can talk all you want about the things Young doesn't do (not moving without the ball is almost as detrimental as the defense), but the things he does do don't grow on trees. The Hawks know that, and as we speak they're trying to figure out if they can live long-term without them.
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:I don't believe Trae will ever win championships unless he has a superstar big man.

His shootings not consistent enough like Steph.

I've come to this conclusion as well.

The part about him needing a dominant big man, anyway.

I'd hoped it would be one of Simmons or Gobert.

Still think it could be Zion.

There's a few young guys in the upcoming draft, too.

I just wish we could have seen Travis Schlenk's vision through to the end. I had much more faith in that brain trust than the current conglomeration.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#56 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
I just wish we could have seen Travis Schlenk's vision through to the end. I had much more faith in that brain trust than the current conglomeration.

This. :nod:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#57 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:28 pm

DJ scored 41 points against Memphis last night. It was the third time he's scored 41 and 41 is his career high in points.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:46 pm

Read on Twitter

The Hawks need to take a good hard look at their future and where Trae Young fits into it. He is undoubtedly an excellent player, but he has serious limitations. Even though Young has his flaws, if the Hawks were to put him on the trade market, they’d receive no shortage of massive offers. Moving Young would sting after investing so heavily in trying to build a team around his talents and shortcomings, but it would also offer the Hawks enough assets to start a rebuild on solid footing.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:56 pm

Hawks fans and front office greatly overrated Dejounte's PG skills.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks