ImageImage

Hawks will choose between Trae or Dejounte this summer?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which Lead Guard would you like to see the Hawks keep this summer?

Poll runs till Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:57 pm

DeJounte
35%
Trae
30%
Both
9%
Neither
26%

Total votes: 23

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Hawks will choose between Trae or Dejounte this summer? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm

NBA Insider: Hawks Know They Have to Trade Trae Young or Dejounte Murray in Offseason

One NBA insider believes the struggling Atlanta Hawks "know" they must deal either Dejounte Murray or Trae Young this offseason.

Marc Stein provided the report: "As another league observer — one well-acquainted with the Hawks' dynamics — put it to me recently: 'They know they have to trade one or the other.'"

Murray's name was included in trade talks before the Hawks opted to keep him before the Feb. 8 trade deadline.

Regarding Young, per Jake Fischer of Yahoo Sports, there are "several front offices that listened to Atlanta's pre-deadline chatter and came away from conversations with the Hawks of the belief Trae Young could become available for trade this summer."

Fischer mentioned the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs as possible landing spots.

Ultimately, the 24-29 Hawks, who sit 10th in the Eastern Conference and are in grave danger of missing the playoffs, must do something this offseason to turn the franchise's fortunes around.

The Hawks have been on a downward trajectory ever since making the 2021 Eastern Conference Finals. Atlanta advanced to the playoffs via the play-in tournament over the next two years before bowing out to its first-round opponents in the top-seeded Miami Heat and Boston Celtics.

The Hawks will more likely than not make the play-in tournament again, but even that's not a guarantee with the Brooklyn Nets two-and-a-half games back in 11th. Ultimately, the Hawks are a fringe playoff team and nowhere close to a championship-contending one, and now the question is what they can do moving forward.

Atlanta landed the talented and versatile Murray before the 2022-23 season, but that hasn't been the move to vault the team up the standings. The Hawks had hoped it would be before this season, signing Murray to a four-year, $120 million extension. Young is on a five-year max deal ($215 million) through 2027, with a 2026-27 player option.

Based on the smoke surrounding those two, though, this could very well be their last year together in Atlanta. Murray in particular garnered interest from both the Lakers and New Orleans Pelicans before the trade deadline, per Fischer, before the Hawks kept him aboard.

So the Hawks are a team to watch this offseason. For now, though, the focus remains on making the playoffs for the fourth straight year.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Hawks will choose between Trae or Dejounte this summer? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:03 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:04 pm

Read on Twitter
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#4 » by graymule » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:55 pm

:noway:

Have to? At season's end? We had to do it before the trade deadline. Didn't happen. Teams thought that "Had to" meant a cheap, give away deal. No, we don't have to.

:noway:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:18 pm

Keep the headlines coming.
Reminds me of the trade talk last year as the Hawks were preparing for the play-in game vs Miami. :nonono:

Gotta love the phrasing:
"Have to", "perceived list" , “It is likewise believed"
jayu70
RealGM

Post#7 » by jayu70 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:53 am

Tweet of the Day:

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#9 » by dms269 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:57 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Tweet of the Day:

Read on Twitter
While I tend to agree, if you don't get your 1sts back you can't trade both.

I don't see Ressler tanking. Too much money to be lost.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:07 pm

What really boggles my mind:

If we're getting rid of Trae this summer, that means we're taking the entire franchise in a new direction.

So, why aren't we tanking right now?

(2013, just like this year, is considered a dreadful draft. Yet 2 first ballot Hall of Famers went in the first round.)
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#11 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:30 pm

All this is just the Lakers and their PR team stirring up dust around Trae and his desire to leave Atl. I mean they're apparently doing a good enough job to stir up the natives. Fischer seems to have insiders but he also does ambulance chasing qualities about him.

I'm sure Paul is trying his best to steer Trae to Lebron. He owes the the guy everything and the least he could do is get one of the best players to the LAL asap.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:55 pm

Read on Twitter

(2) Trae is having (IMO) his best season, he deserves a significant majority of the credit there but also probably not a coincidence is has come while playing for Quin

(3) he has also been vocal about wanting to win, and the team is way off target in that area in recent seasons

(4) can the organization makes the right decisions/moves to make progress toward being able to win more games? there are fair questions there

(5) but I've been clear that I think they did well at the 2023 trade deadline, 2023 draft, Quin hire, etc.

(6) but if they don't (sooner than later) use all of the tools available to them to improve the roster - and this is almost entirely from a fit standpoint IMO - they are going to limit their ceiling

(7) if that continues, and this is just me speculating, I don't know how it doesn't, at some point, frustrate a player of Trae's stature.... still, only Trae knows what his feelings are

(8) I think the Hawks are very fortunate to have Trae but the organization needs to make progress putting the right amount/type of talent around him
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#16 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 pm

I am not for trading Trae Young unless you get a better fitting star like Devin Booker
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by dms269 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:30 pm

King Ken wrote:I am not for trading Trae Young unless you get a better fitting star like Devin Booker

If Trae isn't being moved, then you have to try and move DJM for whatever you can likely get (which is obvious not a ton). The pairing is not working and it is obvious it won't work. Neither is decent at playing off-ball and both are too stubborn to give up the ball for the betterment of the team. The team has to make some major changes, whatever those might be. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in the front office to make decent deals and decisions for the future of this team.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#18 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 pm

dms269 wrote:
King Ken wrote:I am not for trading Trae Young unless you get a better fitting star like Devin Booker

If Trae isn't being moved, then you have to try and move DJM for whatever you can likely get (which is obvious not a ton). The pairing is not working and it is obvious it won't work. Neither is decent at playing off-ball and both are too stubborn to give up the ball for the betterment of the team. The team has to make some major changes, whatever those might be. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in the front office to make decent deals and decisions for the future of this team.

Moving DJ is the easy answer but it's what comes after. As long as Ressler's main priority is to remain under the tax, and tradingbtakent for less, we're just repeating the cycle year over year.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#19 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:39 pm

dms269 wrote:

I wouldn't say they are too stubborn. It's just not their strength
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by dms269 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:51 am

King Ken wrote:
dms269 wrote:

I wouldn't say they are too stubborn. It's just not their strength
Oh I definetly will. Neither one wants to actually try to make it work. They are stuck in their ways which results in DJM looking lost and Trae pouting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks