Hawks failing to finish

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Hawks failing to finish 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:24 am

"It's tough when you feel like you're in a good position at the end of games and you can't seem to get over the hump," said Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson, who was defending LeBron James in the closing seconds Wednesday when the Cleveland All-Star drained the game-clinching jumper. "We know we are capable of winning these types of down-to-the-wire games. We've done it plenty of times.

"What we really need to do is stop allowing games to get to that point. When we get up on a team, we have to put our foot on their throat and not let up."

Hawks coach Mike Woodson couldn't have said it better. After Wednesday's loss, he praised James and then made a point to mention his team's shoddy defensive effort after halftime, when the Hawks actually led by a point.

"I wasn't so much looking for offense," Woodson said. "I mean defensively, in the third and fourth quarter, we were awful. I thought we succumbed to them from a defensive standpoint. We couldn't rebound, key rebounds, when we needed it."

The Hawks took a quick eight-point lead to start the third quarter but followed it up with two quick fouls, a Josh Smith turnover and two missed jumpers from Johnson in the next two minutes that allowed the Cavaliers back into the game.

The Hawks never led by more than four points after that and spent the final 6:45 chasing the Cavaliers on the scoreboard.

"Those are the sort of stretches where you have to be precise in what you're doing and execute, and we just didn't do that," Johnson said. "We had the perfect game plan and just didn't follow it through."

For a team that's spent the better part of the last month fueling everything they do with stellar and sticky defense, the hiccups on one end of the floor seemed to spread to the other.

"We've been in such a good flow lately that these last two games have really gotten us off track," Smith said. "Part of it has been great players making big plays. But a lot of it has been on us. And that's the part we can fix, the part we have to fix."

Link
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#2 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:46 am

"We know we are capable of winning these types of down-to-the-wire games. We've done it plenty of times.

"What we really need to do is stop allowing games to get to that point. When we get up on a team, we have to put our foot on their throat and not let up."

We need to keep in mind that, while the Hawks should be a playoff team this year, they won't be contenders this year. They have a lot of young players whose games are still a work in progress, plus they are still learning to play together in tough game situations.

Just look at the difference in Smith's game In November and December.
He shot almost 8% better in December from the field.

They are going to make a lot of mistakes and make mental lapses that cost them some games. It is inevitable.

On the plus side they can cause problems for other teams defensively. On offense they can get to the line and hit their fts which are critical in tight games. Both JJ and Smith are shooting their fts better this year. Marvin and Chill have always shot them well.

One thing they shouldn't do is make a trade that might help short term but probably hurt long term. I am really not an advocate of making any deals now unless we get an offer we can't refuse.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#3 » by JoshB914 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:59 am

Well said, Tontoz.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#4 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm with you there.
IDoIt4TheA
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Hawks failing to finish 

Post#5 » by IDoIt4TheA » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:21 pm

"After Wednesday's loss, he praised James and then made a point to mention his team's shoddy defensive effort after halftime, when the Hawks actually led by a point.

"I wasn't so much looking for offense," Woodson said. "I mean defensively, in the third and fourth quarter, we were awful. I thought we succumbed to them from a defensive standpoint.

If defense was so much of the problem, then why did Mario West not get any PT? He may have been able to provide the defensive energy we needed. He at least should've gotten an opportunity.

Return to Atlanta Hawks