ImageImage

2 Possible Trades to Offer Chicago?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

2 Possible Trades to Offer Chicago? 

Post#1 » by evildallas » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:58 pm

I was reading today that Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah's success seem mutually exclusive. The theory was that Thomas, Noah, and Ben Wallace all excel at similar things. With Big Ben getting the assured minutes, Thomas v. Noah ensues for the remaining opportunity. What I suggest (probably will be skewered for it by Bulls fans) is to offer them a change in skill set.

Thought #1: A small tweak, my preference.

Zaza
Future Pick

for

Noah
Khryapa (to make salary match)

The Bulls get some post offense potential while we get another big that can play D with energy. I include the future pick as a concession for upside which if it is a 1st rounder should have substantial protection on it.

I've heard that the Bulls would prefer to trade Thomas, but Noah fits our needs better.

Thought #2. Really rolling the dice by making it a bigger deal. It's all about changing the skill sets that we have on the squad.

ZaZa Pachulia
Josh Childress
Solomon Jones
Ty Lue (Optional)
for
Joakim Noah
Thabo Sefolosha
Chris Duhon
Viktor Khryapa (Optional)

For Chicago, they get ZaZa for inside offense, Josh Childress to add size to back court, and Solomon Jones is filler. The key is Childress who can play with both Gordon and Hinrich to solve the midget guard issue. Lue can be a throw in if the Chicago is concerned about PG depth this season without adding contract long term. I'm not sure about Chicago bailing on two rookie deals, but Childress and ZaZa have shown that they are capable of playing minutes now.

Noah gives us size and interior D, Thabo gives us a backup SG, Duhon adds to our PG depth. Khryapa only gets added if we have to send Lue. It is a big risk in that we are sacrificing our swingman depth. The key to the deal is that we have to expect Noah and Thabo to play more minutes than they currently get. Salary cap wise for next year we have Noah and Thabo occupying the same salary amount as ZaZa would. Duhon is a free agent to be with a cap hold that is substantially smaller than Childress, giving us some freedom to resign Josh Smith and possibly to make a move in free agency.

Our rotation after the big deal:
AJ/Duhon/Law
JJ/Thabo/Mario
Marvin/Khryapa
Josh/Shelden
Al/Noah/Lo Wright

Josh and JJ will have to spend time backing up the SF position.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#2 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:08 pm

I don't see the Bulls giving up Noah regardless of the situation with TTime. I like Duhon a lot and would love to see him on the Hawks but this is tough. The second trade seems fair value-wise and could help both teams but again, I think the Bulls are high on Noah.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#3 » by JoshB914 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:19 pm

I love how we rip on Zaza 24-7 and then all of a sudden act like he's a valuable piece in a trade. Chicago isn't going to give up Noah for that, they invested a lot in him.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#4 » by evildallas » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:17 am

I haven't been ripping ZaZa. I'm banking on the ZaZa of the last 2 years to have value in spite of the ZaZa from this year.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#5 » by dms269 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:36 pm

This deal is too big for Chicago to consider it, especially when you take in the fact that they are giving up Noah. I still say a smaller deal to get Duhon would be better.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#6 » by killbuckner » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:58 pm

Evildallas- lets say atlanta was just looking for an expiring contract plus a draft pick for Zaza. What kind of draft pick do you think they could get?

I like to break down trade value in these terms. Sometimes it would be that the hawks would need to give up a draft pick to get an expiring contract (speedy) but either way it just tends to clarify trade value. But when you look at it Zaza isn't worth anything close to Noah. And some 2009 pick isn't going to change that at all.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#7 » by evildallas » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:01 pm

Fair analysis. In pick terms, I would see Zaza as getting a low 1st in trade (20-30) or at most a lottery protected first from a team on track for the playoffs. He has value in he is 6'11", young with a very good contract, and has played meaningful minutes in the NBA. However, he has played enough that his limitations are obvious too. So you are right adding another pick to it isn't enough to give fair value for Noah. I guess I was hoping to exploit Chicago's need for someone ready to contribute now. However, I think that they aren't desperate enough to give up Noah, but at the same time they are beyond the point of tweaking. If the team doesn't rally to make the playoffs then Paxson may be shown the door in the off season. As such when the desperation really kicks in I think they try to make more of a splash acquisition. Zaza isn't that.

My inspiration for the proposal still stands. Both Chicago and Atlanta have flawed rosters. They have a plethora of energy rebounders/shot blockers with little post offensive potential. We have a plethora of short post men that aren't shot blockers. They also have a short back court and we have a lack of outside shooting. Wishful thinking on my part that we could help each other out.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#8 » by killbuckner » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:14 pm

evildallas- the problem is that right now Zaza isn't seen as someone who can contribute now. He has played terribly this season and can barely get off of the bench for a mediocre Atlanta team. Right now there is no way that the Hawks could get even a late 2008 first round pick for him. This season he hasn't at all outplayed his contract- frankly I think its pretty likely the Hawks would prefer an expiring contract to him for cap purposes.

Return to Atlanta Hawks