ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#321 » by neno » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:I like Davidson, but his hair has to go. Sorry. Looks like a moron. Almost as bad as KO’s bun and Elfrid Peyton’s dead squirrel on his head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jealous. I assume you don’t have any. I know the feeling.

Yeah, his hair is badass.

He's like 5 minutes away from the best Mohawk ever
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#322 » by shackles10 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm

neno wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Jealous. I assume you don’t have any. I know the feeling.

Yeah, his hair is badass.

He's like 5 minutes away from the best Mohawk ever

Mohawk JD Davison is top 10 pick in a redraft. Look at what a haircut did for DWhite... from role player to all-star snub. Current JD idk if/when he makes the big club with us. Perhaps he should go full DWhite and pop out a couple bambinos to help that leap to star status.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,150

Post#323 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:06 pm

playa-hater wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:I like Davidson, but his hair has to go. Sorry. Looks like a moron. Almost as bad as KO’s bun and Elfrid Peyton’s dead squirrel on his head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Times have definitely changed but I know for a fact There were a lot of college coaches/recruiters and especially Alumni who never would have recruited a kid with their hair like that in the 90s and 2000s..

Not saying it was right or wrong or if I agree just making a point..p

It’s wrong and especially so because he’s black!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,083

Post#324 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 am

Read on Twitter

IINM, the two-ways can join the team -- practice, workouts, road, on the bench -- in their playoff run. They just can't play.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#325 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

IINM, the two-ways can join the team -- practice, workouts, road, on the bench -- in their playoff run. They just can't play.

Yes, I believe that's correct.

Practice with the team, travel with the team. Be cheerleaders on the bench.

As for JD's future plans, I feel like the Spurs could be a good fit for him. They could really use another PG there..and he could do pretty well in the PnR with Wemby, throwing him lobs and stuff..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#326 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 pm

Davison's hair looks great. And it enlarges his silhouette slightly which might be practical for basketball purposes even.

On the hoops side of things, I think JD's an NBA player. Our timeline just hasn't matched up with his. Tough for a guy who's value is SO tied to being on the ball, to get his reps here. The 3&Ds have a runaway to get into the rotation.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,588

Post#327 » by lon3lytoaster » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
snowman wrote:Knowing what we do about Davison and Pritchard, if both were our restricted FA's, and we determine that there is no room for two 6'1, 195 lb point guards, who are you taking?

Pritchard, despite his flaws, is miles ahead as an NBA player than Davison. Pretty sure JD is not going to stick around and we'll forget about him as soon as he stops being with Maine.

JD being 6'1 is also probably a bit generous. I've ran into him around Portland a few times. Nice kid, but unfortunately takes a lot more than just being an elite athlete to make it in the NBA these days. Some of his turnovers are just insane to watch. Many, many unforced and momentum breaking ones.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#328 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 pm

The Problem with JD and the NBA is, sure he is good enough to play on some roster in the NBA. But so are a lot of other players. Way more quality choices than actual roster spots.

All of those players need the slightest edge to get that chance. Many never get that chance. Another 60+ players about to get drafted. Is his shooting good enough?? His defense??? His decision making?? His confidence?? those are what teams are probably asking themselves.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#329 » by 31to6 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:09 pm

what options will BOS have with this guy -- not much beyond 'bring him to camp and see if he earns spot #15'?
Could they theoretically sign and trade him to a team with cap space for a 2nd?
Could they theoretically sign him to play for Maine, but *not* as a 2-way guy? (he'll likely get better offers than that of course, just trying to be thorough)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,850

Post#330 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:26 pm

31to6 wrote:what options will BOS have with this guy -- not much beyond 'bring him to camp and see if he earns spot #15'?
Could they theoretically sign him to play for Maine, but *not* as a 2-way guy? (he'll likely get better offers than that of course, just trying to be thorough)

I don't think there are a ton of options for a team that will be over both caps. He's RFA but I think the fair thing to do would be to either sign him to a guaranteed spot or let him go somewhere else to do that.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#331 » by 31to6 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:03 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
31to6 wrote:what options will BOS have with this guy -- not much beyond 'bring him to camp and see if he earns spot #15'?

I don't think there are a ton of options for a team that will be over both caps. He's RFA but I think the fair thing to do would be to either sign him to a guaranteed spot or let him go somewhere else to do that.

He should be itching to go back to Maine to with the G league title:)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#332 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#333 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:05 am

Read on Twitter
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,850

Post#334 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:20 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

What do you think happens to him after this season? He can't go back down again. He has to get a shot here or the decent thing would be to let him get a shot somewhere else either via trade or simply let him walk. On the other end of this we're now getting the best version of Payton Pritchard we could get while on an extremely reasonable deal. Trading PP one for one doesn't make any sense either. What does Brad do with these two?
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#335 » by Gant » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

What do you think happens to him after this season? He can't go back down again. He has to get a shot here or the decent thing would be to let him get a shot somewhere else either via trade or simply let him walk. On the other end of this we're now getting the best version of Payton Pritchard we could get while on an extremely reasonable deal. Trading PP one for one doesn't make any sense either. What does Brad do with these two?

Davison is competing with Svi level guys right now, not with Pritchard. He's trying to get the 15th roster spot, where all players are redundant. If he ever became good enough to push Pritchard for playing time, that would be a problem the Celtics would be delighted to have.

Like you say, it's either make it in Boston or try somewhere else. He's shown enough that an NBA career is possible. Who knows?

If Davison developed he'd be electric with real players to pass to.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#336 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 pm

There's too much depth/talent here. Too many other guards in front of him.

I mentioned it before but I think a team like San Antonio (who really needs a PG and is a young, rebuilding team) could be a good fit for him..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#337 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:15 pm

If I were Brad I would seriously look at signing him up for that 15th spot. I mean they have a lot invested in him (54th pick) to let him go.
If I’m JD I’d love to stick with the Cs and get some rings, but also don’t mind going to a developing team were I’d get some PT.
I think his fate depends a bit on how we draft. If the Cs keep #30 then I don’t think there will be room for JD. If not then there will be.
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#338 » by 165bows » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 pm

brackdan70 wrote:If I were Brad I would seriously look at signing him up for that 15th spot. I mean they have a lot invested in him (54th pick) to let him go.
If I’m JD I’d love to stick with the Cs and get some rings, but also don’t mind going to a developing team were I’d get some PT.
I think his fate depends a bit on how we draft. If the Cs keep #30 then I don’t think there will be room for JD. If not then there will be.

I lean towards this as well - feel like sign him to a longer team controlled minimum deal then trade him for a second round pick to a team that has room for him. Maybe not realistic but that feels like the medium-case scenario if he doesn't end up actually being a roster contributor.
RWGreen
Sophomore
And1: 189

Post#339 » by RWGreen » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:32 pm

C's ought to keep him for '24-'25, since Derrick White is an UFA after next season and who knows how that negotiation will go?
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#340 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm

He shot 26% from three on more than five attempts. Unless Brad trades both picks away for future assets they’ll have at least another second rounder added next summer and bigger needs to fill than a third pg.

Return to Boston Celtics