ImageImageImage

Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,705

Re: Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024) 

Post#1601 » by return2glory » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 am

I've hardly been here to post over the last few months.

But this is kind of what I've expected out of this team and Joe.

This is the first playoff game I've turned off with more than a quarter to play.

I knew we were going to lose this game in the 1st quarter when we have a 14-9 lead and Joe takes out the hottest guy on the floor in Tatum. Joe had to just stick to his regular rotation. Tatum came out on fire. Had 10 points in the 1st 6 minutes of the game. Then Joe takes in out to give him his usual rest. Like think dude. Keep Tatum in. Take Brown out. Extend the lead, then take Tatum out it a minute to go in the 1st and break him back early in the 2nd quarter.

I've been supporting Joe since he became head coach. But I just couldn't anymore after the first few months of the season. He continues to make the same mistakes over and over.

The game play was no game plan. When Tatum and Brown take the majority of the shots, that's when we are beatable.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,449

Post#1602 » by Big J » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 am

return2glory wrote:I've hardly been here to post over the last few months.

This is the first playoff game I've turned off with more than a quarter to play.

I knew we were going to loss this game in the 1st quarter when we have a 14-9 lead and Joe takes out the hottest guy on the floor in Tatum. Joe had to just stick to his regular rotation. Tatum came out on fire. Had 10 points in the 1st 6 minutes of the game. Then Joe takes in out to give him his usual rest. Like think dude. Keep Tatum in. Take Brown out. Extend the lead, then take Tatum out it a minute to go in the 1st and break him back early in the 2nd quarter.

I've been supporting Joe since he became head coach. But I just couldn't anymore after the first few months of the season. He continues to make the same mistakes over and over.

The game play was no game plan. When Tatum and Brown take the majority of the shots, that's when we are beatable.

Tatum and Brown should be taking the shots. They are the stars being paid the big money. They just need to make them.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,705

Post#1603 » by return2glory » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 am

Big J wrote:

I knew we were going to loss this game in the 1st quarter when we have a 14-9 lead and Joe takes out the hottest guy on the floor in Tatum. Joe had to just stick to his regular rotation. Tatum came out on fire. Had 10 points in the 1st 6 minutes of the game. Then Joe takes in out to give him his usual rest. Like think dude. Keep Tatum in. Take Brown out. Extend the lead, then take Tatum out it a minute to go in the 1st and break him back early in the 2nd quarter.

Tatum and Brown should be taking the shots. They are the stars being paid the big money. They just need to make them.

No. They've tried that for the past 5 years and it hasn't worked. The reason we were the best team this season was because other players like White, Jrue and KP contributed in a big way. Without White and KP, this is a .500 team.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1604 » by Big J » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:06 am

return2glory wrote:
Big J wrote:

No. They've tried that for the past 5 years and it hasn't worked. The reason we were the best team this season was because other players like White, Jrue and KP contributed in a big way. Without White and KP, this is a .500 team.

KP was trash tonight. If he’d taken more shots we would have lost by 20. He’s never been good in the playoffs. Denver never says you know what we need is more shots by MPJ. Playoffs are where stars need to take the shots.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,159

Post#1605 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:00 am

Big J wrote:
return2glory wrote:
Big J wrote:

KP was trash tonight. If he’d taken more shots we would have lost by 20. He’s never been good in the playoffs. Denver never says you know what we need is more shots by MPJ. Playoffs are where stars need to take the shots.

KP was trash and Joe was far too slow to realise it.

Kept force feeding him when he was too weak to catch an entry pass.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,166

Post#1606 » by fallguy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 am

One silver lining of tonight is nobody will defend Joe around here again.
Sweet Serenity
Senior
And1: 963

Post#1607 » by Sweet Serenity » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:32 am

fallguy wrote:One silver lining of tonight is nobody will defend Joe around here again.

Yep. Most people know I’ve been an avid supporter of Joe as I thought things would be different in his second year. But after that performance it’s hard to justify my support of him all season.

I’m praying he proves me wrong but yesterdays performance was telling.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,227

Post#1608 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:43 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
fallguy wrote:One silver lining of tonight is nobody will defend Joe around here again.

Yep. Most people know I’ve been an avid supporter of Joe as I thought things would be different in his second year. But after that performance it’s hard to justify my support of him all season.

I’m praying he proves me wrong but yesterdays performance was telling.

I don't think it's about supporting Joe, it's more about we're stuck with Joe.

Joe will stick with his philosophy no matter what.

The owners will give him until next season IMO.

If the Cs still don't get Banner 18 in 2025 then Joe will be gone.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,201

Post#1609 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 pm

How is that a good thing? Sounds like you're really biased - just pushing an agenda.

It's one game lol. Relax

We certainly didn't play our best game of the season. But Joe was not the one who was slow to close out on shooters. And it's not Joe's fault that Bam did a million illegal screens that didn't get called.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1610 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:

How is that a good thing? Sounds like you're really biased - just pushing an agenda.

It's one game lol. Relax

We certainly didn't play our best game of the season. But Joe was not the one who was slow to close out on shooters. And it's not Joe's fault that Bam did a million illegal screens that didn't get called.

Can't believe the panic after one loss.

Celtic players see what's happening here and they might get the impression Cs fans here are soft.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1611 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm

Hal14 wrote:

It's one game lol. Relax

Bingo!
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#1612 » by Red2 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm

So tell me again why we got Tillman? Thought he was supposed to bring toughness and rebounding. Thought he was supposed to be a better Grant Williams without the attitude? We sure could use some of Grant’s fire right now since this team has none. How does Pritchard play 20 minutes and not take a shot? How do we not take advantage of home court and a chance to go up 2-0 against an injured team?? Wtf Joe!! You had to know they were going to try and shut down our complimentary players. What was YOUR game plan Joe? Hope that they miss? Was that it? Why didnt we attack them
Instead of sitting back and being too cool for school once again
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1613 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 pm

Red2 wrote:So tell me again why we got Tillman? Thought he was supposed to bring toughness and rebounding. Thought he was supposed to be a better Grant Williams without the attitude? We sure could use some of Grant’s fire right now since this team has none. How does Pritchard play 20 minutes and not take a shot? How do we not take advantage of home court and a chance to go up 2-0 against an injured team?? Wtf Joe!! You had to know they were going to try and shut down our complimentary players. What was YOUR game plan Joe? Hope that they miss? Was that it? Why didnt we attack them

Tillman was acquired mainly for emergency purposes.

If KP or Al gets injured then that's where Tillman comes in.

Cs made it clear what they were looking for before the trade deadline and that was a big man who can step in if KP and Al are hurt.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1614 » by Big J » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Red2 wrote:So tell me again why we got Tillman? Thought he was supposed to bring toughness and rebounding. Thought he was supposed to be a better Grant Williams without the attitude? We sure could use some of Grant’s fire right now since this team has none. How does Pritchard play 20 minutes and not take a shot? How do we not take advantage of home court and a chance to go up 2-0 against an injured team?? Wtf Joe!! You had to know they were going to try and shut down our complimentary players. What was YOUR game plan Joe? Hope that they miss? Was that it? Why didnt we attack them

Cs made it clear what they were looking for before the trade deadline and that was a big man who can step in if KP and Al are hurt.

KP shooting 1-9 qualifies as an emergency. Not trying a different look at that point is coaching malpractice.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1615 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:

KP shooting 1-9 qualifies as an emergency. Not trying a different look at that point is coaching malpractice.

Pat Riley stuck with John Starks in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals and it cost Riley a championship.

Starks went 2-18 FGs in that Game 7.

It's easier said than done.

We're not the ones who will go to work with KP everyday.

Benching KP would do more harm than good in the long run.

KP is allowed to have a bad game once in a while.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#1616 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 pm

There's nothing Tillman does better than Porzingis. Tillman is looking at a minimum deal next season, maybe finagle a T-MLE level from the Celtics but leveraging our cap situation not his talent.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,677

Post#1617 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 pm

"There are 82-game coaches, then there are 16-game coaches." Joe so far has looked like the former. I would still put him 3rd in the CotY ballot 'cos that's a regular season award. The system he put in place works well against 90% of the league in the regular season when opposing coaches don't have time to gameplan geared towards your specific weaknesses. Him thinking there's not much of a difference between winning in the RS and postseason is a bit concerning.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1618 » by Big J » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Tillman was acquired mainly for emergency purposes.

Pat Riley stuck with John Starks in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals and it cost Riley a championship.

I mean, I get going down with your stars, but KP is a role player. He has a history of playing poorly in the playoffs. This isn’t benching Jason or Jaylen. Hell, the Warriors benched Draymond Green in the finals against us. This team isn’t going to win a damn thing if we’re worried about hurting the 4th or 5th guy’s feelings.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,004

Post#1619 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm

Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:

I mean, I get going down with your stars, but KP is a role player. He has a history of playing poorly in the playoffs. This isn’t benching Jason or Jaylen. Hell, the Warriors benched Draymond Green in the finals against us. This team isn’t going to win a damn thing if we’re worried about hurting the 4th or 5th guy’s feelings.

Hey man so you're just getting a laugh out of pretending to be a Celtics fan for the last 16 hours or what's going on here?

You've been one of the preeminent Celtics haters on the GB for the last 5+ years and now you're over here making threads and comments about "we" and "us."
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1620 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:25 pm

Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:

That's one of Joe's secrets, he has the back of his players.

And like I said, if Joe is as bad as what some here are saying, why are you expecting the Cs to win anything?

Return to Boston Celtics