ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 119

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1141 » by redslastlaugh » Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Would either the Spurs or the Trail Blazers Trade their 2nd Rounders with the Celtics?

35 & 48 = Spurs
34 & 40 = Trail Blazers
30 & 54 = Celtics

I think post-lottery, the Spurs would want to consolidate by trading up or trading out for future picks. SA has 4 & 8 as well as 35 & 48 and I doubt they want to make four picks in this draft. They’d probably be more interested in offering 35 & 48 for Sam Hauser than for swapping seconds, because they are ready to start competing for Wembys sake.

Portland is interesting, they just need talent, they need swings in the draft and they are probably looking to tank for a high pick in the prized 2025 draft. They literally have 14 guys already signed for next year if they bring back BAnton, Camara, & Rupert. But also nobody on their roster is untouchable and one would assume Timelord and Brogdon will be moved this off-season. Still, Portland has four picks (7, 14, 34, and 40) and, like SA, probably does not want to make four picks.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,701

Post#1142 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:03 pm

redslastlaugh wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Would either the Spurs or the Trail Blazers Trade their 2nd Rounders with the Celtics?

35 & 48 = Spurs
34 & 40 = Trail Blazers
30 & 54 = Celtics

I think post-lottery, the Spurs would want to consolidate by trading up or trading out for future picks. SA has 4 & 8 as well as 35 & 48 and I doubt they want to make four picks in this draft. They’d probably be more interested in offering 35 & 48 for Sam Hauser than for swapping seconds, because they are ready to start competing for Wembys sake.

Portland is interesting, they just need talent, they need swings in the draft and they are probably looking to tank for a high pick in the prized 2025 draft. They literally have 14 guys already signed for next year if they bring back BAnton, Camara, & Rupert. But also nobody on their roster is untouchable and one would assume Timelord and Brogdon will be moved this off-season. Still, Portland has four picks (7, 14, 34, and 40) and, like SA, probably does not want to make four picks.

I was thinking to Trade Springer and a Pick = for 2 (of their) x 2nd Rounders.
Springer can make an inpact. But he's too far away, for what the Celtics need.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
redslastlaugh
Junior

Post#1143 » by redslastlaugh » Sun May 12, 2024 11:10 pm

That’s an interesting idea. I think Springer has only looked so-so and, if he ever becomes an NBA player, it probably won’t be on a timeline that works for the Cs.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,031

Post#1144 » by playa-hater » Sun May 12, 2024 11:36 pm

I'm wondering if anyone is considering changing our draft Or roster Make up depending on if we win the title or not.. If we do not win I'm looking for a retool.. not a rebuild... But something has to be done..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,132

Post#1145 » by keevsnick1 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:47 am

The Celtics should draft Jaylon Taylor, mostly because adding another "Jay" to the mix would be funny. But also he's a 6'7 wing projected to go around pick 30 so might as well.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,304

Post#1146 » by Hal14 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 am

redslastlaugh wrote:That’s an interesting idea. I think Springer has only looked so-so and, if he ever becomes an NBA player, it probably won’t be on a timeline that works for the Cs.

If Brad agreed with that, he wouldn't have just traded for him.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,132

Post#1147 » by keevsnick1 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:01 am

Hal14 wrote:
redslastlaugh wrote:That’s an interesting idea. I think Springer has only looked so-so and, if he ever becomes an NBA player, it probably won’t be on a timeline that works for the Cs.

Its weird because they traded a decent (#42 i think) 2nd round pick for Springer then he never really got run. I wonder if he's a potential Prichard replacement in case he's gone due to money issues.
redslastlaugh
Junior

Post#1148 » by redslastlaugh » Mon May 13, 2024 2:19 am

Well, some have speculated that Brad acquired Springer to use as salary match since 2nd apron teams can’t combine multiple salaries for matching purposes. You take Springer add draft capital and try to flip him for a Tari Eason or Dayron Sharpe or Jake LaRavia or whoever they were looking at pre deadline.

The idea is that Springer was never the true target.

Who knows if that’s true but Jaden Springer hasn’t looked very playable.

Hal14 wrote:

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,304

Post#1149 » by Hal14 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 am

keevsnick1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Its weird because they traded a decent (#42 i think) 2nd round pick for Springer then he never really got run. I wonder if he's a potential Prichard replacement in case he's gone due to money issues.

Never got run? He just got here. And was dealing with a knee injury when he first got here.

He'll get his chance to prove himself and earn some playing time next season.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,332

Post#1150 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Mon May 13, 2024 6:22 am

I feel bad for Atlanta.
Of all the years to get the Number One pick, this wasn't one of them.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#1151 » by Fierce1 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:32 am

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:I feel bad for Atlanta.

Not really.

Any pick in the top 5 would've been golden because the Hawks really don't deserve to have a pick that high.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,500

Post#1152 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon May 13, 2024 10:35 am

Read on Twitter
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1153 » by Fierce1 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:40 am

I wouldn't be too sad if I am the Pistons.

They already got a hit on Cade.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,720

Post#1154 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:41 am

That's what they said about Minnesota.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,720

Post#1155 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 am

Brooklyn keeps winning in the NBA draft lottery and giving those picks away.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1156 » by Fierce1 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 am

BK_2020 wrote:

That's what they said about Minnesota.

True.

I remember people not being sold on Ant as a legit #1 pick.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,044

Post#1157 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 13, 2024 10:44 am

redslastlaugh wrote:

35 & 48 = Spurs
34 & 40 = Trail Blazers
30 & 54 = Celtics

29 teams in the league would love to swap 2 seconds for Sam Hauser.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,056

Post#1158 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 13, 2024 2:59 pm

Celtics don't need more picks this year. There are very few roster spots available on the parent club and two ways. Any spots available the Celtics probably want vets not players that may be something in 3-5 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Celtics traded out of this draft completely.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,790

Post#1159 » by Kalela » Mon May 13, 2024 3:07 pm

165bows wrote:Was on a Pelle Larson kick at one point earlier in the year. Can’t remember if I made this comparison then but he’s sort of a Malcolm Brogdon-y sort of player, without the weird vibe afaik.

Spoiler:
Watching the playoffs over the past several years, it’s become increasingly evident that teams are working diligently to key on the discernable weaknesses of their opponents. Non-shooters get ignored. Shooters who can’t dribble and/or finish get run off the line. Smaller players get bullied. Lumbering bigs are forced to guard in space. A well-rounded skill set has never been more important.

Given that, it’s hard not to reconsider the stock of Arizona’s Pelle Larsson. The senior wing out of Arizona has always done a little bit of everything. Watching the tape, he finds a variety of ways to keep defenses off balance. He’s effective in important areas on the court and he makes good decisions. Defensively, his strength and feel help keep him above board. However, the subtle nature of his game often understates the productive funk that he brings to the table. Today, we’re going to give Pelle Larsson some NBA Draft love, because there’s a real chance that his wide-ranging skill set allows him to climb during the pre-draft process.

Keeping Them Honest

One of the easiest ways for a wing to stay on the floor offensively is to space the floor, and Pelle Larsson can do that. He made 42.6% of his threes this past season and 39.7% of his threes over the course of his four-year college career. His right-handed stroke looks repeatable time after time. He’s also shown a bit of variety as far as how he can get into his shot. He knows how to relocate into defensive holes, he can move into his shot off screens or in transition, and he’s comfortable pulling up when given space (44.0% on 25 off-the-dribble threes this past season). His mechanics, consistency, and productivity allow him to draw hard closeouts.

My one gripe with Larsson here is that I wish he were a bit more assertive with his shot. He only took 5.4 threes per 100 possessions this season, and I can’t think of a better shooter who took that few. He can be a little too passive and a little too slow going into his motion, and he’ll want to clean that up during the pre-draft process. Still, opponents respect Larsson because they know he’s a knockdown guy when he pulls the trigger. It’s also tough to blame Larsson for wanting to go inside, because he’s one heck of a downhill player, too.

Making Them Pay

If opponents aren’t careful when they close out on Pelle Larsson, he will make them pay. One tool at his disposal is his excellent pump fake. He’s able to bring it really high and get opponents to bite on it before starting his attack. From there, Larsson’s first step does him a lot of favors. While he’s not the twitchiest athlete in many respects, he’s actually very good at exploding out of a complete standstill into his drive. Once he gets going, his strength makes it difficult to knock off his line. At the rim, Larsson can show some bounce off one foot or convert using his touch. In particular, he has a unique gift when it comes to arcing the ball over the top of big rim protectors near the cup. Even better, contact doesn’t bother him one bit. He remains coordinated even when someone bumps into him in mid-air.

Larsson’s jolty stop-start first step, power, and touch enable him to put a lot of pressure on the rim relative to his position. This year, 36.6% of his halfcourt shots came at the basket, and he made an impressive 57% of them. My one knit to pick is that I wish he was more willing to go to his left hand at the cup. Even still, he’s effective. While he’s sometimes mistakenly classified as a shooter, Larsson is a real deal rim pressure guy. Arizona’s coaching staff recognized this, often utilizing him as a screener who they would short-roll. Better yet, Larsson is an excellent passer on his way to the rim.

Pelle Larsson’s head is always up. He knows how to take his time, play methodically, and find openings when operating out of a ball screen. He recognizes his own gravity as a driver and will spray it out to open shooters if a perimeter defender abandons their assignment. Going downhill, he does a great job of reading the last level of the defense. When the rim protector comes out too far, Larsson is always ready to dump it to his big man in the dunker spot. If his big man gets behind their defender as a roller, he’ll throw him an accurate lob. His pass placement is typically on point. When he’s spotting up, he’ll routinely make sharp extra passes. My favorite element of his distribution, though, is that he does a tremendous job of looking off his dishes. That extra layer of trickery further misshapes defenses and makes the rotations even more difficult. Larsson ended the year with a 20.1 AST% while averaging 3.7 APG to only 1.9 TOV.

In totality, Larsson has an incredibly intriguing offensive profile. Playoff performers need to be able to dribble, pass, and shoot. Larsson can do all of that. I ran a BartTorvik on wing-sized players from high-major conferences who scored, shot threes, and distributed the ball at a level similar to Larsson over the past 10 years. The results were rather encouraging.

Showing No Weakness

Larsson’s well-rounded productivity insulates him on the offensive end. Still, come playoff time, NBA teams are looking to sniff out any weakness possible. I have some concerns with Larsson on the defensive end of the floor. That said, I wouldn’t throw in the towel. Larsson has some great moments on that end of the floor, and much of it has to do with his physical strength and how well he can leverage it.

Larsson’s truly a stout defender. He plays with a level of discipline that prevents him from biting on misdirection and he does a great job of taking away the angles a player is seeking to attack. He loves to throw his chest on his opponent, and when he does, they have a hard time shaking him loose. His ability to stay vertical shows up when he helps around the basket. Smaller players like Mark Sears can find themselves swallowed up by his smothering technique and bigger dudes like Grant Nelson can still struggle to get to their spots against him. While his career 1.7 STL% and 1.1 BLK% may not fly off the page, Larsson knows what he’s doing out there. Add in his physicality and strength, and he’s able to hold his own.

He’s not without his limitations here. His feet aren’t the quickest and he has a hard time recovering when he does get shaken. Too often, he’ll be flat-footed when guarding the ball. Those are technical elements of his defensive game that will need to be fine-tuned at the next level. He’ll need to improve his lateral agility and balance. But with that being said, Larsson’s tenacity and smashmouth tactics should keep him in the game. Per Hoop-Explorer, Arizona’s defensive net rating against Top 100 teams was better when Larsson was on the floor, and his DBPM of 3.3 is no joke. He’s proven to be a capable part of a defensive system.

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/the-understated-funk-of-pelle-larsson

The way they described him here, you would think he is the ultimate role player or maybe even more and would fit in perfectly with any playoff team.
Fire Mazzulla
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,056

Post#1160 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 13, 2024 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics