ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,426

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! 

Post#201 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 3:23 pm

cl2117 wrote:I gotta give Kornet credit that he's been better in his minutes than I would have imagined, but I still don't like the idea of him being our emergency depth up front. His range of outcomes is still "fine" to "garbage" and more often than not he sits firmly in between the two.

Queta realistically isn't likely to usurp Luke's role but I'd like to continue to give him a chance. Kornet is what he is at this stage of his career and even though Neemias is already 24, I think he's still got some untapped potential.

Agreed that Queta has a higher ceiling and likely some untapped potential. He could end up being a Mitchell Robinson with better passing or a Time Lord with less athleticism, a little bit less passing and less of a beast on D, but taller and less injury prone..

With that being said, Queta also has a lower floor. If things don't click for him, it could be really bad. Kornet (most of the time at least) you know what you're gonna get from him and usually it's decent enough - he has a higher floor, imo.

cl2117 wrote:If neither end up impressing, I'd be happy to bring Blake back for emergency depth. Assuming he's kept in shape, he'll have fresh legs and at the very least brings good locker room vibes.

I don't think we should assume that. He wasn't in that greatest of shape last season, and that's when he had a contract and was on a legit title contender team for the entire season (including training camp) and was 33 years old.

But now, there's been basically no rumors of him returning to the NBA anytime soon (or at all), there has been rumors that he's leaning towards retirement. And he's 34 now..

I think C's fans should stop holding out hope for a Blake return. Let's be realistic. I mean, is there really much precedence for a guy who's 34 (or older) who has been a FA since the end of last season, is still a FA 20-ish games into the next season to make a comeback and join a team and actually contribute something meaningful for that team? I mean, besides Michael Jordan with the Wizards, which of course is an outlier since it's MJ and it was like 25 years ago.

Cousins is the closest thing I can think of for a recent example that is even somewhat similar, when he came back to join the Nuggets late in the 21-22 season and gave them some playoff rotation minutes. But Cousins was 31 at the time (3 years younger than Blake is now) and Cousins also played in 17 games earlier in the season for the Bucks - it's not like he was just sitting there as a FA the entire season prior to being picked up by DEN.

If Brad thinks we need to add another big, I doubt it'll be Blake.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Post#202 » by cl2117 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 3:50 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:I gotta give Kornet credit that he's been better in his minutes than I would have imagined, but I still don't like the idea of him being our emergency depth up front. His range of outcomes is still "fine" to "garbage" and more often than not he sits firmly in between the two.

Queta realistically isn't likely to usurp Luke's role but I'd like to continue to give him a chance. Kornet is what he is at this stage of his career and even though Neemias is already 24, I think he's still got some untapped potential.

Agreed that Queta has a higher ceiling and likely some untapped potential. He could end up being a Mitchell Robinson with better passing or a Time Lord with less athleticism, a little bit less passing and less of a beast on D, but taller and less injury prone..

With that being said, Queta also has a lower floor. If things don't click for him, it could be really bad. Kornet (most of the time at least) you know what you're gonna get from him and usually it's decent enough - he has a higher floor, imo.

cl2117 wrote:If neither end up impressing, I'd be happy to bring Blake back for emergency depth. Assuming he's kept in shape, he'll have fresh legs and at the very least brings good locker room vibes.

I don't think we should assume that. He wasn't in that greatest of shape last season, and that's when he had a contract and was on a legit title contender team for the entire season (including training camp) and was 33 years old.

But now, there's been basically no rumors of him returning to the NBA anytime soon (or at all), there has been rumors that he's leaning towards retirement. And he's 34 now..

I think C's fans should stop holding out hope for a Blake return. Let's be realistic. I mean, is there really much precedence for a guy who's 34 (or older) who has been a FA since the end of last season, is still a FA 20-ish games into the next season to make a comeback and join a team and actually contribute something meaningful for that team? I mean, besides Michael Jordan with the Wizards, which of course is an outlier since it's MJ and it was like 25 years ago.

Cousins is the closest thing I can think of for a recent example that is even somewhat similar, when he came back to join the Nuggets late in the 21-22 season and gave them some playoff rotation minutes. But Cousins was 31 at the time (3 years younger than Blake is now) and Cousins also played in 17 games earlier in the season for the Bucks - it's not like he was just sitting there as a FA the entire season prior to being picked up by DEN.

Ahem, PJ motherf*cking Brown!

PJ sat out until March and then ended playing a pivotal role for our '08 championship team at age 39.

Nah but you're right, I wouldn't expect Blake to be some sort of impact player (although I said the same thing last year and he was really solid), nor do I expect the C's to find another one via trade/buy outs realistically. The bonus with Blake would just be that by all accounts he was an outstanding locker room addition, which normally I don't put much stock into, but it starts having more appeal when you're talking about guys who are likely just going to end up towel waivers.

And I wouldn't rule Blake out entirely. Brad basically said there would be a spot for him if he wanted it back in September (although that might have just been a platitude knowing he wouldn't have to make good on the offer):

But if he ever decides he wants to come back to Boston, Stevens will certainly take him up on his offer. “He has a fan for life from everybody in our organization,” Stevens said. “You know, if he decides to keep playing, he wants to come back out East, he knows we’re a phone call away.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/09/30/sports/sunday-basketball-notes/

I'm happy to keep giving Queta an opportunity to be that guy though. And ultimately you could do worse than Kornet. Still I just feel like this is the only small chink in our armour, but I guess you can't realistically expect to have literally all your bases covered.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,626

Post#203 » by jirrit » Mon Dec 4, 2023 3:59 pm

What am I missing with Kornet? He became decent overnight?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,845

Post#204 » by 165bows » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they added Blake back into the mix personally.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,426

Post#205 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:33 pm

cl2117 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Ahem, PJ motherf*cking Brown!

PJ sat out until March and then ended playing a pivotal role for our '08 championship team at age 39.

Nah but you're right, I wouldn't expect Blake to be some sort of impact player (although I said the same thing last year and he was really solid), nor do I expect the C's to find another one via trade/buy outs realistically. The bonus with Blake would just be that by all accounts he was an outstanding locker room addition, which normally I don't put much stock into, but it starts having more appeal when you're talking about guys who are likely just going to end up towel waivers.

And I wouldn't rule Blake out entirely. Brad basically said there would be a spot for him if he wanted it back in September (although that might have just been a platitude knowing he wouldn't have to make good on the offer):

But if he ever decides he wants to come back to Boston, Stevens will certainly take him up on his offer. “He has a fan for life from everybody in our organization,” Stevens said. “You know, if he decides to keep playing, he wants to come back out East, he knows we’re a phone call away.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/09/30/sports/sunday-basketball-notes/

I'm happy to keep giving Queta an opportunity to be that guy though. And ultimately you could do worse than Kornet. Still I just feel like this is the only small chink in our armour, but I guess you can't realistically expect to have literally all your bases covered.

Oh ok..I was thinking PJ was like a buyout signing where he played for some other team all season, got bought out and then we picked up up late in the season.

Even still, that just means it hasn't happened since 2008..doesn't seem like very good odds..

Also, PJ Brown played 72 games and 20 MPG the season before 2008..and his minutes actually went up during the playoffs that year, when he played in 10 playoff games. That's way different than Blake, who only played in 41 games last season for us, only 13 MPG. And was glued to the bench during the playoffs.

I know Brad said the door was open for Blake to come back but that was in like September. I just don't see it happening at this point with Blake. I could have seen it maybe happening if he was there at training camp - and was able to use training camp to get back in shape. Once we got through the entire training camp and the opening night roster was set, and still no Blake on the roster and still no rumors that he might be added to the roster anytime soon, I'm just assuming it's not gonna happen at this point.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,626

Post#206 » by jirrit » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:56 pm

jirrit wrote:What am I missing with Kornet? He became decent overnight?

Gotta give credit where it's due, he was pretty decent in that first half against Indiana.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,262

Post#207 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Dec 8, 2023 1:54 am

The PJ talk isn't too relevant I think. Dude was a super versatile defender who could shoot just enough (for those days) to work with KG, or behind him. He took away nothing, so in limited minutes he was a godsend.

As much as I like having Blake around the team in a lot of ways, the offensive requirements to be playable are higher now, and similarly that means more need to be able to defend in space, or otherwise deal with switches.

Its just much harder to get a somewhat done older guy who can defend and not ruin spacing on offence, given the improved offences and the better health and conditioning.

Guys who can do these things play older now.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,549

Post#208 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:11 pm

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 45 minutes ago

Just caught up with Neemias Queta after his game in Maine yesterday. He said he’s still dealing with ups and downs recovering from his foot stress fracture from the summer. He thinks he’ll be back to 100% soon.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,009

Post#209 » by Parliament10 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:02 am

Read on Twitter

If he can stay Healthy, play more precise, and limit Fouls, then 3rd Center is his for the taking.
I see Kornet as either off the Team, or Relegated to 4th Center.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,126

Post#210 » by sam_I_am » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:30 pm

Queta fouled out too quickly but he was fantastic otherwise. He is a guy I would live to see get 20 games of 15 min per game and then see what happens. It might be ugly at times but I think it’s a worthwhile investment. Even if that doesn’t happen, I want to see him converted to a 4 year deal like Sam got. If he ends this season on a 2 way we have restricted FA rights but I bet some team will offer him more money than Cs can.

Does anybody know how many games left he can be activated this season?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,890

Post#211 » by BK_2020 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:38 pm

I don't think we can sign Queta to a 4 year deal because we don't have a FA exception. The best we can offer him is a min salary deal.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,549

Post#212 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Queta is still raw and it's going to take him a couple of years to have him really know what he is doing out there on the court. Would definitely love the Celtics to keep him the next few years and develop him to become a real NBA player.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,245

Post#213 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:52 pm

BK_2020 wrote:I don't think we can sign Queta to a 4 year deal because we don't have a FA exception. The best we can offer him is a min salary deal.

Yep. Hauser's two-way was converted to a two-year minimum deal (following year was team option). Celtics declined the option in the offseason then re-signed him to his current 3-year deal.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,477

Post#214 » by 31to6 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:24 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:I don't think we can sign Queta to a 4 year deal because we don't have a FA exception. The best we can offer him is a min salary deal.

Yep. Hauser's two-way was converted to a two-year minimum deal (following year was team option). Celtics declined the option in the offseason then re-signed him to his current 3-year deal.

time to ink Queta up. He's providing solid minutes and there's no reason to expect they couldn't use that in the playoffs.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM

Re: Welcome to Boston, Quetsy! 

Post#215 » by 31to6 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:15 am

165bows wrote:Prime Jermaine O’Neal, basically, but better passing. Solid pickup.

bows -- as usual -- gets it;)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,009

Post#216 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:43 am

31to6 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:

time to ink Queta up. He's providing solid minutes and there's no reason to expect they couldn't use that in the playoffs.

I know that Brad Stevens is the King of keeping options open and of flexibility.
So I guess, that we could wait for Queta to play out most of his Two-Way contract (50 Games).

But, why wait? -- In the Grand Scheme of things, Queta is outplaying the entire Deep Bench.
He's getting on the floor, in front of Stevens, Brissett, Banton and Mykhailiuk. Kornet is his only competition.

Also, we need that Aggressive 3rd Center; which Kornet is Not. Luke can still have a place, as the 4th Center.
But, come Trade and/or Waiving time, Kornet may be a casualty.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#217 » by BK_2020 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:30 pm

Queta isn't really doing well great if you are objective about it. He's not shooting well and commits 5 fouls per 36. He's rebounding well I guess but a quarter of his offensive rebounds are probably from his own misses. He's blocking some shots but his block% is lower than Kornet's. And then there's the fact that he looks like he has no idea where he has to be on offense especially.

I like his size and motor and he might show more once he settles in but let's not overstate how good he's been.
31to6
RealGM

Post#218 » by 31to6 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:23 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Queta isn't really doing well great if you are objective about it. He's not shooting well and commits 5 fouls per 36. He's rebounding well I guess but a quarter of his offensive rebounds are probably from his own misses. He's blocking some shots but his block% is lower than Kornet's. And then there's the fact that he looks like he has no idea where he has to be on offense especially.

I like his size and motor and he might show more once he settles in but let's not overstate how good he's been.

Not trying to overstate anything -- if anything you're missing his biggest problem -- high TO% -- and he's a -3.4 BPM, with a VORP of 0.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quetane01.html

But I see a guy who -- despite not being the Celtics archetype for a 'big' -- fits a possible need and looks like he can play a role here. As the season started, I was advocating to convert him to a real contract sooner than later to try to build some loyalty/win some favor with him, because other teams will get interested and we can't pay him much, ever. I don't know whether that would actually amount to anything, and I am 10000% biased towards big lugs like Queta, but I'm already hoping they find a way to keep him here beyond this year. He'll need to come back and defend his FMVP, after all! ;)
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#219 » by BK_2020 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:32 pm

31to6 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Queta isn't really doing well great if you are objective about it. He's not shooting well and commits 5 fouls per 36. He's rebounding well I guess but a quarter of his offensive rebounds are probably from his own misses. He's blocking some shots but his block% is lower than Kornet's. And then there's the fact that he looks like he has no idea where he has to be on offense especially.

Not trying to overstate anything -- if anything you're missing his biggest problem -- high TO% -- and he's a -3.4 BPM, with a VORP of 0.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quetane01.html

But I see a guy who -- despite not being the Celtics archetype for a 'big' -- fits a possible need and looks like he can play a role here. As the season started, I was advocating to convert him to a real contract sooner than later to try to build some loyalty/win some favor with him, because other teams will get interested and we can't pay him much, ever. I don't know whether that would actually amount to anything, and I am 10000% biased towards big lugs like Queta, but I'm already hoping they find a way to keep him here beyond this year. He'll need to come back and defend his FMVP, after all! ;)

Yeah it'd be nice if he can learn the system and settle down. He gives off Nesmith vibes right now.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,596

Post#220 » by Gant » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:51 pm

Queta's big frame and presence creates problems for the opponents.

He was minus 3 in five minutes vs Memphis in his first outing. Every other game, in limited minutes vs Atlanta, Philly, Orlando and Orlando again, the Celtics have gone positive with Queta on the floor, +5, +3, +13, +8. So far, he helps the team win.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/neemias-queta-player-game-log

Return to Boston Celtics