ImageImageImage

Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,890

Re: Who Should We Hire for Assistant Coaches? 

Post#81 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:53 pm

Steve Nash is available haha
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 94,113

Post#82 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:55 pm

Double down on Joe’s Mazzulla Ball. Add D’Antoni. And Jim O’Brien.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,429

Post#83 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:09 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Steve Nash is available haha

You laugh, but it might not be a bad idea.

He was clearly just really bad as a head coach (like Silas). But both could be good as assistants.

And perhaps bringing Nash onboard is enough to get D'Antoni on board too. 
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,558

Post#84 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:20 pm

FWIW
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Mazzulla wouldn't go for it because he would get his ass kicked in those pickup games. :lol:
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 6,003

Post#85 » by lon3lytoaster » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:44 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:FWIW
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Mazzulla wouldn't go for it because he would get his ass kicked in those pickup games. :lol:

I would be very curious about a Coach Rondo. He and Joe are probably two of the most stubborn people around though so I’m not sure he’d made it through the season lol
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,906

Post#86 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:19 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I would be very curious about a Coach Rondo. He and Joe are probably two of the most stubborn people around though so I’m not sure he’d made it through the season lol

Yeah, but it would be that much easier to send Joe packing and let Rajon take over.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,989

Post#87 » by Drax » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:24 pm

BK_2020 wrote:I don't know why you guys think Rondo has coaching clout. He got hired as...a student assistant, basically the team manager, by Kentucky. That doesn't suggest that the rest of the world holds his coaching abilities in very high regard.

I don't think anyone said he has some huge clout. I think most people think he could be a good fit, if he wants to get into coaching.

A former player who has seen everything in his career, from title wins, to title losses, allstar appearences to career defining injury, becoming a journeyman and at the end more of a mentor to the younger players. Was known for his smarts on the court and lived in the video room.

If Rajon Rondo wants to get into coaching, i'd say we should be giving him the opportunity to become an assistant. Because if we won't offer him a job someone else will. Personally i think he's a perfect fit for this team. A no nonsense person who loves basketball with Celtics history.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett, Tillman
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford, Kornet
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,110

Post#88 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:37 pm

From all reports Rondo has an abrasive personality. And I can't imagine Stevens hiring a guy who left him in the lurch by going to a birthday party instead of playing in Sacramento.

I'd give him a shot in Maine to teach Davison the ropes, however.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Jammer
General Manager

Post#89 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:52 pm

Drax wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:I don't know why you guys think Rondo has coaching clout. He got hired as...a student assistant, basically the team manager, by Kentucky. That doesn't suggest that the rest of the world holds his coaching abilities in very high regard.

I don't think anyone said he has some huge clout. I think most people think he could be a good fit, if he wants to get into coaching.

A former player who has seen everything in his career, from title wins, to title losses, allstar appearences to career defining injury, becoming a journeyman and at the end more of a mentor to the younger players. Was known for his smarts on the court and lived in the video room.

If Rajon Rondo wants to get into coaching, i'd say we should be giving him the opportunity to become an assistant. Because if we won't offer him a job someone else will. Personally i think he's a perfect fit for this team. A no nonsense person who loves basketball with Celtics history.

Excellent responseby Drax.

As to BK 2020's comment on Rondo getting hired as a student assistant, I leave the board with 3 thoughts.

1. When Red Auerbach was a high school teacher in Durham, North Carolina coaching the H.S. basketball team he was a VOLUNTEER basketball assistant at Duke University.

2. When Coach K. was getting his Masters Degree at Indiana University (after completing his 5 years of military service required by his free attendance at West Point) Coach K. was a Student Volunteer on the Indiana U. Team under Bobby Knight.

3. There once was an young kid, a wannabe Sports Agent, who asked the Agent the University of North Carolina sent their Tennis players and basketball players to, to be his Assistant. The kid was told get lost around 10X, but he kept coming back, and back, and back, and finally when the Powerhouse Agent decided to concentrate on his tennis players, he let the kid be the butler for Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Sam Perkins and several other UNC stars. When Jordan got his massive Gatorade deal, UNC cut the Agent off from the basketball program, because no normal hoops star could expect the deals Jordan was getting. With no more feeder players from UNC, the Kid who'd been doing all the legwork with the B-Ball Players started his own agency, leaving the tennis players for the guy who got him started in the business. That kid who got told NO 10X is David Falk, at one time the most powerful basketball agent.
Sunrise Above
Ballboy
And1: 137

Post#90 » by Sunrise Above » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:54 pm

I honestly don't care if Rondo can coach - we need someone to challenge these softies, someone with clout, especially 2008 title clout.

Would be great if KG was in their ear everyday questioning their manhood but Rondo would prob work. Ime was the closest they ever had to a firm leader.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#91 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:01 pm

Drax wrote:

Good points but I would like to see him demonstrate elsewhere that he has the proper temperament for coaching. No one doubts his experience or knowledge or mentality. But he has been somewhat abrasive.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,480

Post#92 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:03 pm

ROOOOOONNNNNNNDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i'm in, anything interesting is good instead of Googling 33-year-old D2 assistants
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,480

Post#93 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:
leper-con wrote:JJ redick would be great.

Agreed. I'm strongly in favor of him getting a spot.

He doesn't have any coaching experience, so we would also need to add another guy who does have NBA coaching experience.

But Redick would be awesome because:

-Duke legend, who will be loved/respected by fellow Duke Alum, Tatum
-Sullivan is likely leaving for Houston. So Redick would give us a new shooting coach, as Redick is one of the best shooters of all time.
-Former NBA player, who had a long, successful career
-Young dude - only 38 yrs old so can relate to our guys
-Seems to be a sharp, well spoken dude on podcasts/on TV
-He had D-White on his podcast, he had Horford on his podcast. And he has said positive things about the Celtics in the media

JJ really impresses me, knows basketball inside and out but also seems really tuned in to social/emotional/psychological stuff and relates really well to others.

Mazulla
Redick/Rondo/whomever
Rondo is a straight up ****, no doubt, and that might not work, but he's a Celtic **** damnit!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,429

Post#94 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:09 pm

31to6 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
leper-con wrote:JJ redick would be great.

Agreed. I'm strongly in favor of him getting a spot.

He doesn't have any coaching experience, so we would also need to add another guy who does have NBA coaching experience.

-Sullivan is likely leaving for Houston. So Redick would give us a new shooting coach, as Redick is one of the best shooters of all time.
-He had D-White on his podcast, he had Horford on his podcast. And he has said positive things about the Celtics in the media

JJ really impresses me, knows basketball inside and out but also seems really tuned in to social/emotional/psychological stuff and relates really well to others.

Mazulla
Redick/Rondo/whomever
Rondo is a straight up ****, no doubt, and that might not work, but he's a Celtic **** damnit!

Redick/Rondo/Silas

That'd be awesome.

Need someone like Silas in there, since Redick and Rondo don't have any coaching experience. Plus, Brad has already been meeting with Silas and having him tour our facility..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Jammer
General Manager

Post#95 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Agreed. I'm strongly in favor of him getting a spot.

Mazulla
Redick/Rondo/whomever

Redick/Rondo/Silas

That'd be awesome.

Need someone like Silas in there, since Redick and Rondo don't have any coaching experience. Plus, Brad has already been meeting with Silas and having him tour our facility..

Silas' father Paul was one tough m*therf**ker. Was President of the Players Union for around 4 years. Excellent pick setter. His son Stephen seems so passive compared to his warrior like father. Paul was LeBron's coach early in his career.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,989

Post#96 » by Drax » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:19 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Spoiler:
Drax wrote:

Good points but I would like to see him demonstrate elsewhere that he has the proper temperament for coaching. No one doubts his experience or knowledge or mentality. But he has been somewhat abrasive.

It's fair to be sceptical and i wouldn't fault anyone for it. But from my perspective i'd rather be positive on Rondo than negative, because i belive some of his reputation stems from media personal who clashed with him in the past. He never was an outspoken dude to the media and rather kept things in house. I'd rather belive in the comments of former teammates (not just 08 Celtics) who hold him in high regard. Google Garland and Rondo, i think that would be something i'd like for our team.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett, Tillman
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford, Kornet
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,489

Post#97 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:30 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Rondo beats everyones ass day 1 and then invites them over to his house for a connect four tournament. Better yet bring Posey in as lead assistant with Rondo. Softness will not exist in that dojo after Game 1 of the preseason.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,438

Post#98 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:38 pm

I like Kenny Atkinson. Head coaching experience, on the Ws bench for years so at least has seen a pretty offense in action. If nothing else he could help us cut carbs.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#99 » by threrf23 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:39 pm

I would like to keep Sullivan if we can? He seems to have made a positive impact as shooting coach.

As much as I'd like to see Rondo on the sidelines, there are questions about him as a professional and he is not far removed from a troubling domestic abuse allegation, which sounds credible.

No criminal charges, but that shouldn't matter.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#100 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:40 pm

djFan71 wrote:I like Kenny Atkinson. Head coaching experience, on the Ws bench for years so at least has seen a pretty offense in action. If nothing else he could help us cut carbs.

He's turned down headcoaching gigs so I don't know how available he is.

Return to Boston Celtics