ImageImageImage

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Re: Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#81 » by Gant » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:30 am

The Celtics did interview Drummond.

I was just scanning through day 2 of the Combine. Drummond was asked what teams interviewed him. He named about seven teams. All were in the early to mid lottery (plus Phoenix in the late lottery) except the Celtics and Spurs.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#82 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:32 am

jfs1000d wrote:
humblebum wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Also, If we are taking the time to meet with Drummond, interview Barnes, something must be hot enough that we think we can break into the top 10.

I imagine the Top 3 are looking like DAvis, Robinson (low ceiling), way too limited, but I digress), MKG.
No.4 will be Beal, and Drummond, Barnes and probably Lamb are next up.

We are targeting between 5-10. Getting into top 2 is impossible. We can swing a deal for No. 5.

Could it mean that Ainge is pulling an okie doke with a Rondo trade to get into one or two of these coveted draft spots? Rondo is the only guy who I could see commanding enough value to trade up for a top 4-5 pick. I don't see Drummond going lower. Someone will fall in love with his size and it will be lights out.

Rondo is third team ALl-nba. He's worth more than any pick in this draft bu Davis at No.1. It can't be for Rondo.

As far as other chips, I doubt it's pierce since we would need to find a bigtime scorer. Could be, but I think it's more 2 first round picks and/or Avery Bradley with JJJ thrown in. I think we give up 1 this year, and one next year. Bradley's probably worth a No. 10-14 pick right about now.

Which is why you don't trade Avery now. Next year he'll be worth a 6-10 pick and the year after he'll be worth Rudy Gay, and so on. Bradley is a keeper like Rondo was a keeper.

Pierce keeps talking about the possibility of a youth movement in Boston and I wouldn't count out ANY options for Ainge, he's a gunslinger and he's confident in his evaluations.

I know Rondo has done miraculous things in these playoffs. I know Pierce has done wonderful things in his career in Boston. But it's not about the names on the back of the jersey. If there is a move that Ainge feels puts the Celtics in a better position to win he'll pull the trigger every time, even if he has to break some hearts in the process.

If we look at this objectively, it's easy to get carried away about these guys 15 picks in front of where the Celtics are selecting but people don't give up those picks so easily.

But as long as we're fantasizing the good news is that the Celtics don't need to move up by dealing Bradley or Rondo or Pierce. Taking back a bad contract like Okafor (who can still be a positive factor) to get that number 10 pick is the best move to make. 21/Future First/JJJ/51 and draft Rivers/Ross at 10 and Draymond Geen at 22. The Celtics would take the league by storm with that group.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#83 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:43 am

I love how taking on a bad contract is somehow akin to taking on a bad player. Okafor would be real good on the Celtics. He has 2 years on the deal, and he could be up at the same time Pierce is up. And, once Okafor is in that final year of a deal, he becomes an asset.

So, Okafor is only on a bad contract for one year IMO. I have no problem with us getting okafor if we can do it on the cheap asset wise AND HE IS HEALTHY TO PLAY. If that's what gets us NO. 10, then my god, do the deal. Okafor is exactly what the team needs, it's just he is paid about $4 million too much per year. If he was being paid $10 million, he's worth it.

That's a lot of money, and it probably results in one less good bench player, but, size, rebounding and some shot blocking. Okafor can do that.
AnaheimRoyale
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#84 » by AnaheimRoyale » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:52 am

I think you guys have an exaggerated opinion of Bradley and his value. The idea he'll soon be worth Rudy Gay sounds like huge homer goggles at work.
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#85 » by crosko42 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:55 am

humblebum wrote:21/Future First/JJJ/51 and draft Rivers/Ross at 10 and Draymond Geen at 22. The Celtics would take the league by storm with that group.

I think JJJ+21+2013 lotto protected 1st + taking Okafor back is probably enough for #10 if ainge wants to keep pierce/rondo/bradley.

And if we play our cards right and re sign kg (2/20)/j.green(4/36)/dooling(Vet min?)/bass(2/14) (or he accepts his player option) we are left with as you stated, an amazing roster:

Rondo/Dooling/Moore
Bradley/(Rivers or Ross)
Pierce/J.Green
KG/Bass/(D.Green or Nicholson)
Okafor/Stiemsma

Minutes would be cut wayyyy down for pierce/kg until the playoffs similar to SAS this season:

Rondo(37)/Dooling(7)/Moore(0)
Bradley(35)/(Rivers/Ross)(17)
Pierce(28)/J.Green(30)
KG(25)/Bass(12)/(D.Green or Nicholson)(12)
Okafor(30)/Stiemsma(7)

We run with that until Pierce/Okafor/Bass/KG expire in a couple of years and then go full out rebuild. Why not compete for a couple of years? I would rather watch that team (probably a slim chance at a finals/title) than a lotto bound team for a couple of years.

AnaheimRoyale wrote:I think you guys have an exaggerated opinion of Bradley and his value. The idea he'll soon be worth Rudy Gay sounds like huge homer goggles at work.

Rudy gay is only worth a 5-10 pick right now and has a terrible contract for his production.

Bradley is on a great contract and is a good player with a high ceiling.

I agree that In ~1-2 years he will be worth more than Gay.
kakopedi1
Junior
And1: 4

Post#86 » by kakopedi1 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:04 am

Can't see Ainge giving up on Bradley just yet even for a guy like Drummond. Bradley is def a keeper.

Now Rondo otoh is a diff story only because he's pretty much the only one with value we have to get into 5-10 range.

Trade Rondo for Drummond,Barnes then sign DWill? Could Ainge go that route I mean that's a pretty scary team if the Big 3 come back for 2 year run and dont forget D12 in 2013?
The Playmaker
Junior
And1: 0

Post#87 » by The Playmaker » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:12 am

Maybe Ainge knows something we don't? Maybe this really is the last year for the Big 3 so he wants to blow the whole thing up?
AnaheimRoyale
Banned User

Post#88 » by AnaheimRoyale » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:14 am

And now Bradley is worth more than Drummond, a possible top 5 pick. *eye roll*
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#89 » by crosko42 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:17 am

AnaheimRoyale wrote:And now Bradley is worth more than Drummond, a possible top 5 pick. *eye roll*

Bradley + 2 firsts in a deep draft is different than just bradley alone. Maybe a three way trade is made.

Most of us agree #21+22 + taking okafor is more than enough for #10. So how about a deal like this to move to #5:

To SAC:
Bradley

To BOS:
Okafor

To NOH:
TPE
humblebum
Banned User

Post#90 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:25 am

AnaheimRoyale wrote:And now Bradley is worth more than Drummond, a possible top 5 pick. *eye roll*

Not worth more.

It's just not worth it.

Do you follow a team in the NBA? If so is there a young player on your team that you don't want to trade but rather that young player is someone you want to build with? Well that's how it is with Bradley.

He's young and plays the game the right way. He's in the top tier bracket of athletes and defenders at the PG spot (yes he's a combo guard but I still count him as a PG). He's extremely young and he's got great offensive tools. You don't want to get rid of him. You want to trade other players or go in other directions that include Bradley.

Big difference.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#91 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:28 am

crosko42 wrote:

Bradley + 2 firsts in a deep draft is different than just bradley alone. Maybe a three way trade is made;

Most of us agree #21+22 + taking okafor is more than enough for #10. So how about a deal like this to move to #5:

To SAC:
Bradley

To BOS:
Okafor

To NOH:
TPE

And the Celtics would be kicking themselves in the head for years.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#92 » by bigboi » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:30 am

crosko42 wrote:

Bradley + 2 firsts in a deep draft is different than just bradley alone. Maybe a three way trade is made.

To SAC:
Bradley

To BOS:
Okafor

To NOH:
TPE

Let's do it. Either draft Lamb or Drummond, team would go in.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
AnaheimRoyale
Banned User

Post#93 » by AnaheimRoyale » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:31 am

I'm objective, perhaps it comes from being a Spurs fan, and I'm toughest on our own players, because I've learnt how easy it is to buy into hype. It's for that reason Spurs fans aren't stunned by the fall off of Blair, and are cautiously optimistic about Splitter.

And there were none of the caveats you guys were making, it was just
Can't see Ainge giving up on Bradley just yet even for a guy like Drummond. Bradley is def a keeper.

If Drummond turns out to be an all-star big this will look like a laughable remark down the track, especially for Bradley, a guy who has not shown anything vaguely remembling all-star talent, let alone "rudy gay" value (again, no caveats).
kakopedi1
Junior
And1: 4

Post#94 » by kakopedi1 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:39 am

AnaheimRoyale wrote:I'm objective, perhaps it comes from being a Spurs fan, and I'm toughest on our own players, because I've learnt how easy it is to buy into hype. It's for that reason Spurs fans aren't stunned by the fall off of Blair, and are cautiously optimistic about Splitter.

If Drummond turns out to be an all-star big this will look like a laughable remark down the track, especially for Bradley, a guy who has not shown anything vaguely remembling all-star talent, let alone "rudy gay" value (again, no caveats).

I also said Rondo was the only one that can get us in position to draft Drummond. Don't think Bradley can cut it even adding 21 &22.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#95 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:46 am

AnaheimRoyale wrote:I'm objective, perhaps it comes from being a Spurs fan, and I'm toughest on our own players, because I've learnt how easy it is to buy into hype. It's for that reason Spurs fans aren't stunned by the fall off of Blair, and are cautiously optimistic about Splitter.

Cool, a Spurs fan acting like Celtics fans don't understand the NBA!

There are tons of players who aren't traded in the NBA. You know there's no rule that says because AnaheimRoyale thinks Drummond is better than Avery Bradley that the Celtics now have to go out and convince Sacramento to make that deal.

The reality is that I don't care what outsiders or unknowledgable posters think about what Bradley's worth. I understand how Danny Ainge operates and he doesn't deal players if they haven't reached peak value or if he feels he could get more if he waited to allow the young player to mature and gain even MORE value.

Bradley is a special talent and he's just getting his legs under his NBA career. In two years he'll be an established player with a ceiling in sight. Right now he's got a ton of room for growth.

I'll keep it funky. It's more likely Rondo is traded this offseason than Bradley. And it's not very likely Rondo will be traded.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,162

Post#96 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 11:52 am

humblebum wrote:
crosko42 wrote:

Bradley + 2 firsts in a deep draft is different than just bradley alone. Maybe a three way trade is made;

To SAC:
Bradley

To BOS:
Okafor

To NOH:
TPE

And the Celtics would be kicking themselves in the head for years.

Yuhp. Honestly, I'd rather have Bradley and the 10th pick, than Okafor and a 5th pick. Bradley is a stud. We all saw it..this wasn't a Brandon Bass beast mode in the regular season, crap in the playoffs. Bradley was awesome in the playoffs. First time he ever sniffed the big games and he played great. Best on ball defender in the league with a smooth jumper.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
FreeDrop
Pro Prospect
And1: 82

Post#97 » by FreeDrop » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:34 pm

Bradley iOS a game changing defender at the two. If he's playing, we've already booked our tickets to OKC. And I think he is a perfect complement to Rondo. I don't want to trade him unless he can be packaged for an elite player.
AnaheimRoyale
Banned User

Post#98 » by AnaheimRoyale » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:45 pm

If Bosh is healthy the Heat have already beaten the Celtics 4-0
humblebum
Banned User

Post#99 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:50 pm

AnaheimRoyale wrote:If Bosh is healthy the Heat have already beaten the Celtics 4-0

If Bradley, Wilcox and Jeff Green are healthy the Celtics dismantle the NBA en route to a title.

Like the Spurs, your act is old and tired and it's time for you to leave.

Good. Bye.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,162

Post#100 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:51 pm

AnaheimRoyale wrote:If Bosh is healthy the Heat have already beaten the Celtics 4-0

Just like they did last year? Please...
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!

Return to Boston Celtics